5.0 out of 5 stars Another Outstandng Album
How does a group that is on its third guitarist maintain a consistent sound and style? I don't know but Fourplay HAS figured it out. Fourplay fans will find all the things they love about the group with the additional accent of Chuck Leob's 6 string.

Published on October 25, 2010 by Lydia E. York

3.0 out of 5 stars This isn't Fourplay...
Having given this offering a chance to grow on me, which it patently has not done, time for an updated review. The vocal offerings are outstanding from the amazing Anita Baker and Ruben Studdart...BUT THIS IS NOT FOURPLAY, as per the wonderful 'Elixir', 'Heartfelt', '4', or indeed, their opening debut 'Fourplay'.

Even the Bob James tracks are doing not a lot...
Published on February 3, 2011 by Anthony Marshall

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Outstandng Album, October 25, 2010
This review is from: Let's Touch The Sky (MP3 Music)

What do all the current and past Fourplay guitarists have in common? It's their ability to play with Bob James, Nathan East and Harvey Mason, on their own terms and for the fellas to accept the guitarits distinctive styles in stride. That said, I think Chuck Leob brings a lyricism that has been missing from the group for some time.

The standout cuts will be the vocal collaborations including the homage to Teddy Pendergrass "Love TKO" featuring Rubin Studdard. It's every bit as soulful as the original, but with the Fourplay sound. The collaboration with Anita Baker "You're My Thrill" sent a shiver up my spine. Expect Grammy nominations.

But long time listeners will also appreciate the re-emergence of some of the individual voices of the players. I mean that literally. Nathan East delivers a wonderful vocal performance on "I'll Still Be Loving You." It's the perfect kind of song for a weekend winter morning.

In sum, this is another outstanding album from Fourplay that longtime and new listeners can enjoy.

5.0 out of 5 stars SmoothJazz.com Review, October 31, 2010
This review is from: Let's Touch the Sky (Audio CD)
It's hard to wrap my head around the fact that's it's been twenty years since this band debuted as contemporary jazz's first super group... individually they are stunning, together they are unstoppable. Bob James, Harvey Mason and Nathan East have been holding down their 3 corners of the foursome since the beginning while legendary guitarists Lee Ritenour and Larry Carlton have moved on leaving the coveted guitar slot of the Fourplay legacy open... another worthy contender steps in, renown guitarist/composer Chuck Loeb debuts on LET'S TOUCH THE SKY with contributions that Bob James calls "very much a reflection of the Fourplay philosophy of team spirt." Loeb inaugurates the new project with his tune "3rd Degree" (in reference to his role as the 3rd guitarist) as the first radio single. Other big news here is that the project includes stirring performances by guest vocalists Anita Baker on the jaw dropping "You're My Thrill" and American Idol's Ruben Studdard impeccably covering the classic "Love TKO." Never settle for practical goals when, in fact you can reach the lofty ones... let's touch the sky!

4.0 out of 5 stars The best of a dying genre, November 17, 2010
This review is from: Let's Touch the Sky (Audio CD)
These guys, very fine musicians all, have created an album that pleases the right and left brain. Taste, chops, respect, conversation, all the good stuff is happening in bushels. But, as good as they are, as finely crafted as the work is, it still is basically a genre that is over. In an effort to remain relevant to the general public, their more creative tunes are balanced with a healthy dose of pop pablum. Nothing wrong with pop pablum if that's your preference, but if so, there are so many more qualified sources... Having said all that, I still enjoy listening to four awesome players balancing virtuosity and taste, accessibility with harmonic sophistication, self-indulgence with team spirit. Many lessons are on offer for those few musicians who actually want to play instruments together all at the same time. As for the easy-listening pop, well, there's always the "next" button...

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Jazz CD!, November 12, 2010
This review is from: Let's Touch the Sky (Audio CD)
There's not much to say except that Fourplay is on top of their game. With Chuck Loeb in the mix, the band certainly has a different vibe but continues to display the same technical skill and great sounds I'm used to. I've been a Fourplay fan for the last 12 years or so after seeing them perform at a strange club in San Antonio, TX. I never expected them to keep rocking the house in 2010! If you're a fan of jazz...no scratch that...if you're a fan of music in general, pick up this CD.

5.0 out of 5 stars A REAL RELAXANT, A TRUE SOURCE OF INNER PEACE., December 28, 2010
This review is from: Let's Touch the Sky (Audio CD)
HELLO my friends, I own all of FOURPLAY high quality albums, should I review them all,they are all 5 stars to me!!. real instruments delivering splended, melodious, sweet soothing sound!!. Dotted by vocals from some of the best voices in the business, FOURPLAY is my very favourite instrumental group!!
"LET'S TOUCH THE SKY" is the thier latest album and just like the others it sure soothes my soul, standouts are "LETS TOUCH THE SKY", "I'LL STILL BE LOVING YOU" with easy vocals by NATHAN EAST, yes, real nice! "GENTLE GIANT", "A NIGHT IN RIO" is just dandy too!!.RUBEN STUDDARD'S tribute to TEDDY PENDERGRASS "LOVE TKO",is so very well done! I love it it's beautiful. "ABOVE AND BEYOND" & "GOLDEN FADERS" are smooth yet lively pieces, topping off this well done cake is "YOU'RE MY THRILL", with the enchanting ANITA BAKER, this song could never be better!! It's my most loved song on this project,a real relaxant!!
This is the kind of album you lay in your couch after a hard days work with your special someone and just drift away...if you're into things like that then I recomend this soother to you...

4.0 out of 5 stars Fourplay Can Still Touch The Sky, May 30, 2011
This review is from: Let's Touch the Sky (Audio CD)
I've been listening to Fourplay from the very begining when they released thier first CD in 1990.
Let's Touch The Sky is one of my favorate Fourplay CD's. Chuck Loeb is a nice fit to the group. I really enjoy the vocal tracks on this CD Nathan East on I'll Still Be Loving You, Ruben Studdard on the classic Love TKO and it is nice to hear Anita Baker on You're A Thrill. My fvorate instrumental on the CD is Chuck Loeb's Above And Beyond. Let's hope that Fourplay's Success continues for many years to come!

Jeff

5.0 out of 5 stars Fourplay is the BEST!, November 21, 2010
This review is from: Let's Touch the Sky (Audio CD)
This CD completes my Fourplay collection to date. I have every CD they have released since 1990. As usual, I am elated with the quality of the production and the content of the entire album.

Thanks Fourplay, for keeping on keeping on!!!

I bought the album pre-release, and it was delivered perfectly on time.

3.0 out of 5 stars This isn't Fourplay..., February 3, 2011
This review is from: Let's Touch the Sky (Audio CD)

Even the Bob James tracks are doing not a lot for me, which is saying something, as one of his biggest fans! Chuck Loeb's contribution is very good, as is Harvey Mason's 'More Than A Dream', though 'Pinapple Getaway' is average at best. 'I'll Still Be Lovin' You' is an awfully boring tune, which is a shame as I love Nathan's vocal, particularly his 'scatting'.

Really hope the guys can return to some high quality instrumental's in their very distinctive style, as this stuff just is'nt doing it. The term, 'Going commercial' maybe an overused one, but sadly it may just be the case with 'Let's Touch The Sky' Their fanbase, I would suggest, have developed because of the group's unique interplay, arranging, compositional and soloing skill, WITH QUALITY INSTRUMENTALS, I don't mind the odd vocal track, but this is too much. Time to 'Touch The Stars' Guys!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good easy listening, February 12, 2011
This review is from: Let's Touch the Sky (Audio CD)
Very mellow nice for listening at dinner or over a glass of wine but would be to mellow when driving long distance, would put me to sleep.

5.0 out of 5 stars "Let'sTouch the Sky" Fourplay, February 20, 2011
Gloria Taylor (SACRAMENTO, CALIFORNIA, US) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Let's Touch the Sky (Audio CD)
I really enjoyed this CD ! First of all I have been a fan of Bob James for years (I still have all of my LP'S!) and when Fouplay came into being I rejoiced and always find excitement in their music.Such musical giants. Jazz has a home in them AND they have a home in my heart.

Gloria Taylor

Let's Touch the Sky
Let's Touch the Sky by Fourplay (Audio CD - 2010)