Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon The Suffers All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty V-Day Amethyst Jewelry Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer jstfd6 jstfd6 jstfd6  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Winter Sports on Amazon.com Sale

on June 30, 2001
My two year old loves Whistle for Willie, and Goggles, both by Ezra Jack Keats. I brought home _A Letter To Amy_ from the library to let him have a look.
_A Letter To Amy_ is the story of Peter, who has an upcoming birthday. He wants to invite Amy with a letter, because she's a special friend. Peter is worried that the boys at his party won't like Amy because she's a girl. He writes a letter to Amy, and tries to mail it.
This book has the same illustration style as Whistle for Willie... very patchy, abstract, and easy to enjoy. The story is great. I know that older kids love Ezra Jack Keats' picture books-- and I'm telling you my 2 year old does, too!
He calls this book AMY BOOK, and we read it over and over again.
ken32
0Comment23 of 23 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 30, 2000
This is a story of Peter who is having a birthday. He writes a special letter to Amy to invite her to the party. The other guests will be boys so he just asked them. As Peter went out to mail his letter Amy almost saw. He was not nice to her and thought see might not come to his party. The day for the party came and finally Amy arrived. The boys didn't like it because a girl was at the party. I thought this book would be a wonderful story to read in my first grade classroom. I could use it for a mini-lesson on how to write invitations and addressing envelopes. Also, it could be used to promote friendships between boys and girls.
on January 4, 2007
This book in the Ezra Jack Keats series is wonderful. I am relatively new to this author but have fallen for all the books that my 3 year old and I have read so far. It is wonderfully illustrated and the simple text makes it a winner. A great addition to any childs library and a series that merits collecting.
on January 15, 2014
The book starts off sweet -- about a boy writing an invitation to a girl to attend his birthday party. No one else got a written invitation and he wants to ask her in a special way. He goes out to mail the letter, and accidentally bumps into Amy and knocks her down. He mails the letter, and he worries about whether she will come. She attends, along with her parrot.

Two things bothered me about the book. The first was that he knocked Amy down, in the rain, and didn't help her up or even check on her. He was so worried about her seeing the letter that he just grabbed the letter and mailed it. She ran away, crying in the meantime. He didn't follow her to make sure she was okay, or to apologize. Both of our sons picked up on this and wondered why he did that. The second thing was that he was worried the boys he had invited would be mad he invited a girl to his party. While this may have been something to worry about when the book was written, I'm not sure it would be true today and I didn't want my kids to read about why a girl might not be welcome at a party. It was not necessary to the story and should have been left out. It's kind of a nitpicky point, I realize, but I don't want my kids to wonder about why girls might not be invited to a party, or why you would be made fun of for inviting a girl, or whether they should think the same way. Maybe today's reader wouldn't appreciate that part of the book, so I wanted to point it out for anyone it might bother. True, you can tell your kids why that might have been true a long time ago or may be true for other people today, but if your kids are really young (like mine are), you may not even want the idea in their heads yet.
0Comment10 of 15 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 19, 2014
I teach in an urban school and the first thing my kids noticed is that Peter and Amy are black. That instantly drew them in. Its hard to find books sometimes that show kids that look like them so for that reason I love the book and would recommend it and all Ezra Jack Keats books to teacher who teach in urban settings. Its important that kids see people who look like them in the media and especially books because most of them don't like to read and if I the people look like them, it interests them just that little bit more. Anything to get them reading.
on September 19, 2008
Ezra Jack Keats was really good at writing books about every day experiences.

Peter in this book wants to invite - gasp - a *girl* to his birthday party. Amy. But he can't just call her, he has to *mail* an invitation.

Naturally, she almost sees, and he sorta snaps at her. Luckily, Amy doesn't hold a grudge, everybody's happy at the end.

It seems like so little, but this sort of thing - a special occasion, a fight with a friend - is very big to children. This book really captures a typical reaction to these events.
on March 19, 2013
I love Ezra Jack Keats and so did the third graders that read the book with me on Read Across America- Literacy Day.
Every single child identified with the characters in this short, beautifully illustrated, story. We ended the session by writing our wishes on paper candles and gluing them to a foam board un-birthday cake. Then we each wrote a letter to ourselves, reminding us of our wishes - to help those wishes come true !
on March 29, 2010
Anything by Ezra Jack Keats is a winner. He is one of my favorite kids authors.
Do yourself and your kids a favor and get lost in his beautiful illustrations and story lines that really appeal to the child's way of thinking.
on August 17, 2015
I love this book. It's a sweet story about a shy boy who insists on inviting his friend, a girl, to his birthday party. The powerful illustrations simply jump off the page and carry the plot all the way to the end.
on May 9, 2015
I used to use this book with my second graders to teach inference. You have to make an inference about the main character's feelings towards Amy. One of my favorite Ezra Jack Keats books!