5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely inspiring; I couldn't put it down
Published on October 10, 2008 by Story Circle Book Reviews

2.0 out of 5 stars Same Stories
Published on February 28, 2009 by Angela D. Douglas

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely inspiring; I couldn't put it down, October 10, 2008
This review is from: Letter to My Daughter (Hardcover)
"I gave birth to one child, a son, but I have thousands of daughters. You are Black and White, Jewish and Muslim, Asian and Spanish-speaking, Native American and Aleut. You are fat and thin and pretty and plain, gay and straight, educated and unlettered, and I am speaking to you all. Here is my offering to you," writes Maya Angelou in the introduction of her inspirational new book Letter to My Daughter. The following pages are full of stories and life lessons Angelou has learned over eighty years. "I have only included here events and lessons which I have found useful," the famous poet writes. "I have not told you how I have used the solutions, knowing you are intelligent and creative and resourceful and will use them as you see fit."

There are few books that I love so much I would read again. This is one of them. I got Angelou's Letter to My Daughter in the mail around 4 p.m. and finished it before bed. I read it to my children as they played, read it after they had gone to sleep, and far into the evening hours. Angelou's words were so poetic and musical I felt as if she were speaking directly to me. I learned of her best and worst moments in life, her ideas about love, death, violence, patriotism and spirituality. I really liked how she illustrated an important situation in her life without telling the reader what to take away from the scene.

My favorite story was when Angelou visited the famous actress Samia in Sengal. Angelou had heard that women in Egypt did not let their guests walk on their gorgeous Persian rugs and decided to test her hostess. She noticed the other guests at Samia's party were not stepping on the rugs and believed Samia had informed them not to do so. So Angelou walked on them, back and forth, back and forth. The other guests smiled at her weakly. Angelou engaged in a conversation with a fellow writer and barely noticed the maids rolling up the rug and replacing it with an equally beautiful floor covering. The maids covered the rug with place settings and dinner. Angelou had been walking all over their table cloth! She was so embarrassed she could barely eat. "In an unfamiliar culture, it is wise to offer no innovations, no suggestions, or lessons," Angelou wrote.

Here is one of my favorite paragraphs in the book: "You may not control all the events that happen to you, but you can decide not to be reduced by them. Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud. Do not complain. Make every effort to change things you do not like. If you cannot make a change, change the way you have been thinking. You might find a new solution."

Letter to My Daughter is a gem of wisdom and inspiration. Every woman should read it at least once. This book has become a permanent fixture in my personal library.

by Jennifer Melville
for Story Circle Book Reviews
reviewing books by, for, and about women

4.0 out of 5 stars Read, be inspired and be courageous!, November 14, 2008
This review is from: Letter to My Daughter (Hardcover)
This is the perfect book! At only 166 pages, it is short but every single page is filled with interesting stories and valuable advice. I recently read a quote that said, "Timid women don't make history." Maya Angelou lives her life boldly and with courage and has been making history for many decades. There are too many inspiring stories to mention them all but below are some of the lessons that I will carry with me as a source of inspiration.

* You may not control all the events that happen to you, but you can decide not to be reduced by them.
* Be certain that you do not die without having done something wonderful for humanity.
* Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud.
* Never whine. Whining lets a brute know that a victim is in the neighborhood.
* Make every effort to change things you do not like. If you cannot make a change, change the way you have been thinking and you might find a new solution.
* Be charitable. Being charitable doesn't always involve a monetary gift; you can be charitable with a smile and a kind word.
* Kids make mistakes; its ok to love them through it
* When you are genuinely proud of your children, you give them permission to be proud of themselves.
* Miracles can happen through prayer.
* When people ask, "How are you?" have the nerve sometimes to answer truthfully.
* A friend may be waiting behind a stranger's face.
* Each of us must care enough for ourselves, that we can be ready and able to come to our own defense when and wherever needed.
* You are never too old to find true love.

Ms. Angelou advises that Courage is our greatest attribute. Read, enjoy, be inspired and be courageous!

5.0 out of 5 stars A reference guide to life, October 12, 2008
This review is from: Letter to My Daughter (Hardcover)
Wonderful book - it was a quick read with several short stories. I want to know more, more, more....what happened after lessons - Maya tells you the story, but not her lesson learned. I also almost see it as a testament of her life and her goodbye book - you feel the wisdom, age, and desire to pass it on before it's too late. As soon as I finished it, I started reading it again....I think this book will become a reference guide of sorts for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Letter to My Daughters, December 2, 2008
This review is from: Letter to My Daughter (Hardcover)
Best yet ever by Maya Angelou!
This book is for the daughters who have experienced weakness for a man that you know is not good for the soul; for the daughters who find that love for a child is undescribable in that you love them passionately like nothing else in the world no matter what they do; for the daughters that have experienced emotional and physical abuse at the hands of someone that says they "love you" (GET OUT after you have a plan in place); for the daughters that have found her true soulmate (oh what a joy it is).

Read A Letter to My Daughters and buy a copy or 500 for your closest friends at Christmas or birthday.

2.0 out of 5 stars Same Stories, February 28, 2009
This review is from: Letter to My Daughter (Hardcover)
This was not a terrible read, but certainly deja vu. I've read all these stories in one form or another somewhere else. I expected this advice for "daughters", to be about lessons that Angelou want to pass on the women. Instead, the book is a memoir which is broken into small short stories. I enjoyed reading the stories (again) but i felt duped. the recyling of these stories is not what i'd expect from Angelou. I wanted something fresh and new; this book did not deliver.
For the reader who has never read Angelou's novels, these stories will be refreshing and wonderful.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best, October 28, 2008
This review is from: Letter to My Daughter (Hardcover)
Dr. Angelou really captured me with this one. I received it and immediately read through the entire book. Her testimonies made me laugh, cry, and think about life in some new ways. I have already given it as a gift to a close friend. You are sure to enjoy it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Prose, Poetry and More!, November 15, 2008
Robert N. Sanders (Indianapolis, IN USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Letter to My Daughter (Hardcover)
I have never heard of or read the writings of anyone with the honesty and creativity of the one who penned this book. Yes, I knew she was creative because I heard the poem she wrote for Bill Clinton's inauguration. Yes, I knew her presence on that platform meant she walked with, even if she didn't keep company with, the elite and powerful. But it was only when I read this book that I knew her humility and grandeur as a human being and poet. Her biography says she is more -- a cook, a funeral 'preacher,' professor, musician, accomplished linguist -- in short, to purloin her words, "a national spirit." Maybe even "a national treasure" worth so much that Fort Knox would have to risk poverty!

If you ever start, I am willing to wager that you will finish this book in open-mouthed wonder and will try to put it aside to savor this feast of words strung together like pearls in a necklace. Even when you are sated -- with, maybe, a full stomach or belly, as she would have said, of "glistening red rice," you are still going to hold the words in your mind and heart and mouth since all three will be so full that receiving more will be impossible.

If you are getting my drift by now then you are probably guessing that I am recommending it. But I am not. I'm suggesting that you run to the nearest bookstore, even if it is 5 miles away, buy "Letter to My Daughter," sit down at the nearest spot and read, read, read!!! That's all I have to say.

5.0 out of 5 stars No surprise here - she simply is the best, November 4, 2008
Ford Ka (Edinburgh, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Letter to My Daughter (Hardcover)
Maya Angelou has been an important voice for many years and readers have gotten used to the fact that each of her books opens for them new perspectives. Angelou uses a variety of genres but her wisdom and wit fill each of the volumes she penned.
This book is no different - the essays combine to draw a very personal view of the world. This is a view as seen by a woman, a mother - it is warm, human, and private. Sometimes they are funny, sometimes sad - what they always share is honesty and wisdom.
When you can listen to a wise person, you should not miss the chance. It is a very good sign for the American reading audience that such a "difficult" book made it to the top of bestsellers list. There are very few people such as Maya Angelou - their voices should be listen to very attentively.

4.0 out of 5 stars A fast, inspiring read, April 13, 2009
This review is from: Letter to My Daughter (Hardcover)
I read this book in two short sittings. I adore Maya Angelous's style and I think she is an inspiring individual. I love the concept of this book, that we as the readers get to be her "daughters" and learn from her lessons. I gave this four stars only because I wish it were longer.

5.0 out of 5 stars I loved listening to this book on cd, March 19, 2009
This review is from: Letter to My Daughter (Hardcover)
Are there any words to really describe the writings of Maya Angelo? The best I can do is say she clearly is in this world but not of this world. I adore her works. I adore her. I absolutely love her. I love listening to her voice. She has a beautiful healing voice, a voice that one savors every word she says.

Letter to My Daughter was so beautiful, so authentic, so loving, so honest, and so Maya! I cried, I laughed, and I was sad when I finished listening to the cd. Usually I prefer to read a book as opposed to listening to one on tape or cd. But, because I love Maya's authentic voice I wanted to order this particular book on CD. And, I am glad I did.

This is an excellent read. As usual it is timeless and tells about the trials and tribulations and happiness of what life can be. And, Maya can do that better than most any writer or orator. I cried and I laughed as I listened to the book. There is a part of this book where she was told to say, "God loves me". That part just spoke to my soul, and as I listened I just cried. Maya reminds me what it says somewhere in Matthew when the Lord says to his children:
and I am paraphrasing...he said he is sending his sheep out into the world and requests they be as smart as serpents and as innocent as a dove. Maya Angelo not only has linear intelligence, but has spiritual intelligence as well...her innocence is manifested by her truth. She is not afraid to tell of her mistakes and certainly not a blamer. She is one that is accountable for what she does and doesn't do. And, in today's world that is a mighty fine example to set. She is an inspiration beyond words.

Often when I have been sad and over the last several years life has been difficult for me...I often think to myself...if I was sitting next to Maya Angelo on a front porch on a beautiful peaceful sunny day thinking about my sadness...I know I wouldn't have to say one word about it for I know she is an empath and would be able to feel my sadness. And, I have actually visualized this scene particularly on very sad days, and I have visualized her just sitting next to me with that beautiful smile and saying, "there, there...everything will be just fine...you wait and see, everything will be just fine." And, I say...I have waited for so long, I am growing so tired of waiting, and she says...well, you won't have to wait that much longer. Then she offers me some ice tea. And, I tell you this little scene heals me in many different ways. Although, she never had a daughter, you know I believe she would have said something like that to a daughter, especially one that was suffering in great emotional pain. She is loving like Jesus that way. And, I just think of her as the epitomy of class, dignity, and grace. God loves her, and so do I.

This is a beautiful book and I would suggest everyone buy it and read it, for her words are of the character of what our fine country once was!

Letter to My Daughter
Letter to My Daughter by Maya Angelou (Hardcover - September 23, 2008)
$25.00 $14.78