5.0 out of 5 stars Voices of America's Past, July 4, 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Letters of a Nation (Paperback)
What a fantastic book. The letters I've read have brought voices to America's past. It's like reading a hundred stories in one book. For me, it's been an emotional read. The voices of people-slaves,soldiers, presidents and mothers that helped shaped our nation are still ringing in my ears. I'm recommending this to all my friends. A great trip though history.

5.0 out of 5 stars American History as the (his)story of PEOPLE!, November 3, 2006
This review is from: Letters of a Nation (Paperback)
This book is one of the best investments I've made over the past year (I typically buy 3-4 books a month). I teach - and am passionate about - American History at the high school level. I discovered this book on Amazon and purchased it out of curiosity and a desire to add to my stash of "primary sources." What a great find! The letters are grouped thematically, not chronologically, and offer a great mix of subjects, authors, and viewpoints. While my primary motivation for purchasing this book was its potential use as a classroom source/reference, it proved an interesting "read," as well. History really comes alive, as do the "players" and events, through reading correspondence. While these letters were not necessarily intended for public consumption, it allows for real insight into the past, and into the psyche of the people who have helped to shape our country. Each letter is "set up" for the reader with an introduction explaining the context in which the letter was written. There are also "postscripts" to let the reader know what took place after the letter (a "conclusion," so to speak). Thank you, Mr. Carroll - it's obvious that a lot of work (and editing!) was expended here for the benefit of your readers!

5.0 out of 5 stars A must for any library. . ., February 4, 1999
This review is from: Letters of a Nation (Paperback)
Dipping into Andrew Carroll's "Letters of a Nation" is like exploring the contents of a fine antique jewelry box filled with history, intimate moments, humor and wisdom. This book is a perfect fireside companion!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent bite of History, February 15, 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Letters of a Nation (Paperback)
This is a wonderful look into the various faces of American history. From the most famous letters like "Letter from a Birmingham Jail," to some of the least known letters like the one from Scott Carpenter's father to him, this book is full of pieces of treasure. The epistolary is a now uncommon type of work, and letterwriting has fallen into disrepute with the rise of e-mail and memos, but this work reminds us of the power of a simple handwritten personal message. A must read!

5.0 out of 5 stars Compelling!, December 8, 2004
This review is from: Letters of a Nation (Paperback)
Andrew Carrol writes an intresting novel compiled of historic letters in various stages of our Nations history. Whether they are from prominent, well known people, or lesser known, yet just as important members of our society, they keep us enthralled.

I'm 24 years old, young enough not to have lived through many of our Nations defining moments, but when I read these letters (and the helpful notes by the author!) it made me feel as though I knew exactly what was going on. Mr. Carrol did an excellent job, and I've let many others read this novel!

~Gina

5.0 out of 5 stars Why our nation is great., February 12, 2014
WILLIAM LUCAS (CONYERS, GA, US) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Letters of a Nation (Paperback)
These letters tell you all you need to know about what makes America great. The sacrifices seen here will make you cry.

5.0 out of 5 stars unforgettable, June 11, 2013
interiorlulu (Philadelphia, PA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Letters of a Nation (Paperback)
I read this book years ago and routinely end up thinking about it. I love that there's a mix of letters from people of all walks of life. It is just as interesting to read about "everyday" folks as they experienced major events as it is to read about the famous folks doing so. It gives a really nice perspective on the American experience.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thank you!, January 15, 2013
This review is from: Letters of a Nation (Paperback)
The book arrived in the condition described prior to purchase. It was delivered earlier than expected and is a very useful addition to my collection of primary sources. Thank you!

5.0 out of 5 stars Letters of a Nation review, October 1, 2011
This review is from: Letters of a Nation (Paperback)
This is a fine book. It allows the reader to learn about the history of our nation, well also making the reader feel engaged in the story. Good read very insightful. Package arrived on time and book was in great condition.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thought provoking, personal, humorous and more...., January 23, 2009
This review is from: Letters of a Nation (Paperback)
I got this while out of town and needed something to read. Glad I did. It is inspiring and personable. It brings larger than life historical figures home to me and made them seem like real people, with wit, charms, sarcasam and humor. It made me proud of the everyday Americans that I've never heard of. I enjoyed most of the book, there were a couple of very long letters that I lost interest in and skipped. But this is a book I would recommend to friends and family and keep a copy for my own library. I read some of the letter to my children (7 and 10 yr olds) because I thought they would enjoy them. It's like reality history.

Letters of a Nation
Letters of a Nation by Andrew Carroll (Paperback - January 5, 1999)
$16.95 $13.79