5.0 out of 5 stars amazing stories, told amazingly well
Published on June 5, 2010 by mb

3.0 out of 5 stars decent product
was a little disappointed with what this was. I thought it would keep the attention of my three year old and she was actually a little bored after the chicka chicka boom boom song was over. Quality was good, just not excited about the dvd
Published 21 months ago by DAWN

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars amazing stories, told amazingly well, June 5, 2010
This review is from: Chicka Chicka Boom Boom... and More Fun with Letters and Numbers (Scholastic Storybook Treasures) (DVD)
My 2 1/2 year-old son *loves* this video. At first it was just "Chicka Chicka Boom Boom," which is a story about the alphabet with a super-catchy tune. (Different from the Ray Charles version that comes with the book, but good on its own merits.) Then he loved "Wild About Books," a story about the librarian who drives her bookmobile into the zoo and gets all the animals hooked on reading. (Narrated wonderfully by Catherine O'Hara.) This story can be easily enjoyed by a 2-year-old and still has some things that will entertain an adult.

There are just so many great books narrated (and animated) on this DVD: "Blueberries for Sal" is a classic, as are "A Story, a Story," "Inch by Inch," and "Millions of Cats" (although personally, I don't like the last book). "Five Creatures" was new to me, but I also recommend it.

The animations on this DVD and the choices of stories are wonderful. We put on the subtitling, which highlights the words as they are being read. This technique is great for emergent readers to associate the written word with the audio.

We had many of these books before the video, but I have since bought "A Story a Story" and ordered "Wild about Books" as my son can't get enough of it, and we had to return the library's copy! My guess is that this DVD would probably be enjoyed by most kids through second-grade or so. Highly recommended!!

5.0 out of 5 stars So whimsical and fun!, March 9, 2012
This is one of my favorite Scholastic Read-along DVDs! The stories are all so CUTE!!!

CHICKA CHICKA BOOM BOOM is a great alphabet sing! It has a very singable chorus (I'm a music teacher, so I really appreciate a good sing-along story!), and is animated very well

WILD ABOUT BOOKS is an adorable story with very current references to popular children's books. The animals are illustrated by the same guy that illustrates the "Arthur" series, although I find these illustrations even more whimsical than Arthur. The best part is during the credits, they made fake bloopers!!!! SO funny and cute!!!!!

INCH BY INCH is a great story about an inchworm who proves his usefulness by measuring different parts of different birds (the tail of a robin, the legs of a stork, etc.) so that he won't be eaten! He finally comes across a stubborn nightingale who tells him to measure his song or he'll eat the inchworm! Beautifully illustrated, and very cute!

FIVE CREATURES is an awesome book! It's a girl who has a unique way of looking at her family (a mother, a father, and two cats), such as "There are five creatures in our house. Three that have orange hair and two that have grey hair. Four that like fish, and one that doesn't." It's a fun new way of looking at any kind of family. It reminds me of the cute little things about my own family that my dad would point out to us. Very creative!

The 3 bonus stories were filmed several years back, which is reflected in the quality of the video (and audio), but it doesn't take away from the experience at all (in my opinion).

BLUEBERRIES FOR SAL is a classic story that I wasn't familiar with, but it has a cute little plot, and the illustrations are very nice! It's about a toddler and her mom picking blueberries, and a mother and baby bear eating blueberries, and what happens when they accidentally cross paths (it's not as violent as it sounds...in fact, it's not violent at all!) There's nothing special about the telling of the story, there's no animation, but it's a nice story, so it's nice to hear!

A STORY, A STORY is my favorite book on this DVD! Between the illustrations and the narrator, it paints such a fascinating, beautiful picture with so much character! I can't say enough about it! The story is about how Anansi won the gold box full of all the stories ever told. As you may know, Anansi is a clever being, so he tricks his way to the solution - I know I've used the word "cute" way too much in this review, but it's just so fitting for every one of these stories!!

MILLIONS OF CATS was one of my favorite stories when I was little, so I was excited to see it on this DVD! Like "Blueberries for Sal" there's nothing special about it, but it's a nice little story, and I still love it!

SO cute. End of story.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great fun with a little learning on the side!, May 21, 2010
E. Smith "Grammie" (Jackson, MS United States) - See all my reviews
My 4 yr old granddaughter loves this video. We play it every time she's here. I even find myself singing along with it! I highly recommend this for your preschooler.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good stories and keeps young minds entertained, August 25, 2013
Buy it, You won't regret it. Great for children young and old. Excellent animations of time-honored stories. Keeps them asking for more.

5.0 out of 5 stars 4 yr old grandson loves it, June 2, 2014
My four year old grandson loves it. He already knew his ABC's, but he wanted to watch Chicka Chicka Boom Boom non stop for 2 to 4 weeks. My nephew was the same way at age 4.

5.0 out of 5 stars Daughter, May 28, 2014
Daughter Loves these dvd's
loves singing and dancing to them!!
great learning experience!!
great for young children to learn fun song to learn there numbers and ABC's

5.0 out of 5 stars super cute stories, March 31, 2014
T. L. Dzubak "mlledzubak" (Croton-on-Hudson, NY United States) - See all my reviews
My 3 year old loves this. We never let him watch tv/dvd but since this is about books he has read, we allow it. He watches it over and over. I like it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Chicka Boom, February 9, 2014
My 4 year old loves this DVD . He watches it everyday plus the DVD contains other stories on it and entertains for hours.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, February 7, 2014
We are very satisfied and quick shipping too. The kids love this book and we have really enjoyed the dvd as well as the book!

5.0 out of 5 stars ., January 20, 2014
Children love the beat & colors of every cartoon. It's so catchy that they are singing with the songs in two watchings.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›