Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Crown the Empire Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Water Sports

on June 5, 2010
My 2 1/2 year-old son *loves* this video. At first it was just "Chicka Chicka Boom Boom," which is a story about the alphabet with a super-catchy tune. (Different from the Ray Charles version that comes with the book, but good on its own merits.) Then he loved "Wild About Books," a story about the librarian who drives her bookmobile into the zoo and gets all the animals hooked on reading. (Narrated wonderfully by Catherine O'Hara.) This story can be easily enjoyed by a 2-year-old and still has some things that will entertain an adult.

There are just so many great books narrated (and animated) on this DVD: "Blueberries for Sal" is a classic, as are "A Story, a Story," "Inch by Inch," and "Millions of Cats" (although personally, I don't like the last book). "Five Creatures" was new to me, but I also recommend it.

The animations on this DVD and the choices of stories are wonderful. We put on the subtitling, which highlights the words as they are being read. This technique is great for emergent readers to associate the written word with the audio.

We had many of these books before the video, but I have since bought "A Story a Story" and ordered "Wild about Books" as my son can't get enough of it, and we had to return the library's copy! My guess is that this DVD would probably be enjoyed by most kids through second-grade or so. Highly recommended!!
on March 9, 2012
This is one of my favorite Scholastic Read-along DVDs! The stories are all so CUTE!!!

CHICKA CHICKA BOOM BOOM is a great alphabet sing! It has a very singable chorus (I'm a music teacher, so I really appreciate a good sing-along story!), and is animated very well

WILD ABOUT BOOKS is an adorable story with very current references to popular children's books. The animals are illustrated by the same guy that illustrates the "Arthur" series, although I find these illustrations even more whimsical than Arthur. The best part is during the credits, they made fake bloopers!!!! SO funny and cute!!!!!

INCH BY INCH is a great story about an inchworm who proves his usefulness by measuring different parts of different birds (the tail of a robin, the legs of a stork, etc.) so that he won't be eaten! He finally comes across a stubborn nightingale who tells him to measure his song or he'll eat the inchworm! Beautifully illustrated, and very cute!

FIVE CREATURES is an awesome book! It's a girl who has a unique way of looking at her family (a mother, a father, and two cats), such as "There are five creatures in our house. Three that have orange hair and two that have grey hair. Four that like fish, and one that doesn't." It's a fun new way of looking at any kind of family. It reminds me of the cute little things about my own family that my dad would point out to us. Very creative!

The 3 bonus stories were filmed several years back, which is reflected in the quality of the video (and audio), but it doesn't take away from the experience at all (in my opinion).

BLUEBERRIES FOR SAL is a classic story that I wasn't familiar with, but it has a cute little plot, and the illustrations are very nice! It's about a toddler and her mom picking blueberries, and a mother and baby bear eating blueberries, and what happens when they accidentally cross paths (it's not as violent as it sounds...in fact, it's not violent at all!) There's nothing special about the telling of the story, there's no animation, but it's a nice story, so it's nice to hear!

A STORY, A STORY is my favorite book on this DVD! Between the illustrations and the narrator, it paints such a fascinating, beautiful picture with so much character! I can't say enough about it! The story is about how Anansi won the gold box full of all the stories ever told. As you may know, Anansi is a clever being, so he tricks his way to the solution - I know I've used the word "cute" way too much in this review, but it's just so fitting for every one of these stories!!

MILLIONS OF CATS was one of my favorite stories when I was little, so I was excited to see it on this DVD! Like "Blueberries for Sal" there's nothing special about it, but it's a nice little story, and I still love it!

SO cute. End of story.
on February 11, 2013
My 6 year old son really wanted the DVD to this story (I didn't even know one existed) so I found this one and got it for him. It must have been the right one as he loved it. I noticed that the story teller is different than the CD who has Ray Charles narrate, but he doesn't seem to care. The visuals are not real animated as its more what I would call screen bouncing like those old school Dr. Seuss read along stories.
on May 21, 2010
My 4 yr old granddaughter loves this video. We play it every time she's here. I even find myself singing along with it! I highly recommend this for your preschooler.
on August 27, 2015
Chicka Chicka Boom Boom is great but the other stories included don't hold my toddler's interest... and to be honest, they are incredibly boring. A big bummer since I really only paid for a few minutes of a song.
on August 16, 2013
Our family loves this DVD. It is entertaining and we love the bonus stories, which allows children to see a story that they may not be familiar with. I am familiar with Blueberries for Sal and my grandchildren enjoyed this story for the first time on this DVD. We have the Chicka Chicka set of books and it is great to watch this story come to life on this wonderful DVD.
on December 30, 2012
All of my students love this song Chicka Chicka Boom Boom....they love the humor and sing along with the video....which teaches the alphabet to younger children. I recommend this video highly and students will ask to see it again and again....
on May 21, 2013
Bought this as a replacement for a damaged disc from a collection of DVD's. I suggest getting as many Scholastic stories as you can, not only for the children in your family, but something to have that brings back childhood favorite/classic stories we all know and love!
on February 27, 2013
was a little disappointed with what this was. I thought it would keep the attention of my three year old and she was actually a little bored after the chicka chicka boom boom song was over. Quality was good, just not excited about the dvd
on August 2, 2012
My daughter loves this book and was racking up my verizon bill watching it online so I purchased the DVD which has many other stories on it as well. She loves the Inch By Inch story too. Great buy and now my verizon bill is back to normal.