5.0 out of 5 stars Common Sense, Roman Decadence, and the Meaning of Life
Published on July 28, 1999 by jroszak@kqed.org

This will not be a review about Seneca. I suppose I will attempt that one day once I manage to go thru my library's Loeb Classical Library edition of Seneca's Epistles.
The purpose of this review is to bellyache about the Penguin Classics' edition of this work. I come not to criticize this translation. I have no Latin. For all I know it is brilliant.
What I am...
Published on August 7, 2010 by greg taylor

5.0 out of 5 stars Common Sense, Roman Decadence, and the Meaning of Life, July 28, 1999
jroszak@kqed.org (San Francisco, California) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Letters from a Stoic (Penguin Classics) (Paperback)
The first time I read this book I was amazed and excited, and entering middle age. Seneca's thoughts on the human condition seemed like they could have been written today. Except for some dated Roman references, here is a man trying to define how to live, in what we today would call "the secular society." The series of letters reads like a personal guidebook to ethics. It still speaks to us across the centuries. Seneca was priveleged, ego centric, and all too aware of the fleeting nature of life. He was also a tutor of Nero, a dramatist, philosopher, slave owner, etc. But his essay-like letters - by turns glib and medatative - reveal a man struggling to make sense of a world of power, wealth and abundance, oestensibly ruled by reason, suffused with uncertainty and enveloped in paganism. He was also no doubt polishing his image for future generations. Nonetheless, he talks of god and spirituality, and the early Christians were said to have valued his wisdom. I've read this two or three times. Each time I've given it away to a friend. Once you read it, you'll go back to it again and again. His maxims are famous. His commonsense advice still rings true.

3.0 out of 5 stars The unmannerly guest or Penguin butchers a classic author once again., August 7, 2010
greg taylor (Portland, Oregon United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Letters from a Stoic (Penguin Classics) (Paperback)
What I am here to criticize is the decision to edit Seneca's work all to Tartarus and back. There are 124 Letters in Seneca's Epistles. Campbell gives you 40. Or just over 32%! Campbell's criteria as to which letters to present is a personal one. He evaluated their interest and whether or not they were repetitive. His is admittedly charming in his own defense on this issue. He quotes Roger L'Estrange (another anthologist of Seneca's) from 1673 to the effect that anyone who complains about the selection is an unmannerly guest who eats at his host's table and then critiques the meal. I embrace this description. I may well use The Unmannerly Guest as my nom de plume for my reviews from now on.
Here is my problem. All too often the editors or translators of the Penguin Classic editions decide that they know better than the ancient author what is valuable about the work for today's reader. Their Plutarch is one such travesty. Their edition of Polybius is another. What makes it more confusing is they can get it right sometime, as with their edition of Livy.
I think they are really missing their chance here. The Penguin Classics series is the perfect publishing series for modern and complete editions of ancient authors presented in their original form as much as is possible.
Let us look at how personal Campbell's choice is. I happen to be reading The Roman Stoics: Self, Responsibility, and Affection by Gretchen Reydams-Schils. She happens to cite 185 passages from Seneca's Epistles during the course of her book. Because I am The Unmannerly Guest, I took it upon myself to count up how many of those passages were not in Campbell's selection. 122 of the 185 or just over 65%. In other words, she made as much use of the letters Campbell did not publish as those he did. His choices were no more representative of Seneca's thought to Reydams-Schils than the letters he rejected.
Here's another way to look at it. Seneca was writing about a philosophy to be lived. Not a system of thought but a guide to behavior. It is inevitable that such a guide would be repetitive. The same sort of issues, of temptations, of annoyances come up again day after day with slight variations (e.g.,anyone trying to raise courteous children knows what I mean). Repetition in an author dealing with such a guide is to be expected; indeed, it is to be appreciated as helpful. It takes time to learn how to live.
I think we ought to take old Seneca and Plato and Augustine and Machiavelli and Locke and so on seriously. When we read them we should try to sink into their way of living not just their way of thinking about that life. Only then can we evaluate how much they speak to us.
The Penguin Classics, accordingly to this Unmannerly Guest, do not help us in this endeavor. And the fact that they have chosen to present us with a highlighted tour of ancients like Seneca and Polybius is a betrayal of the original mission of the series which was to make the classics easily available to the masses. I speak for those masses as much as anyone. And I say, give me the whole da*@ book. Let me be the one to make the editing decisions.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stoicism - - a modern philosophy, February 25, 2006
This review is from: Letters from a Stoic (Penguin Classics) (Paperback)
Stoicism has been much misunderstood, and the adjective "stoic," which loosely can be taken to mean bearing up under duress, is partly correct but does not do justice to one of the world's great philosophies. This Penguin volume presents a great selection from the letters of Seneca, which hits all the high points of the philosophy and captures Seneca's remarkable personality, which has made him a hit with the cognoscenti for 2,000 years. Few perhaps realize that the Stoics postulated a great commonwealth governed by law, or that they idealized democracy. Seneca mentions Solon the lawgiver as the creator of democracy and refers numerous times to the Roman Stoic saint, Cato, who strove mightily (and unsuccessfully) to preserve the Roman Republic.

Seneca, like other Stoics, has a doctrine of nature that is remarkably close to that of Emerson or modern American environmentalists. The wise man (sapiens) will never be bored when contemplating the simple things of nature. The natural beauty of the countryside and the healthful action of the waves can have a calming effect (although there's a memorable passage in which a storm causes terrible sea sickness). He also believed in the simple and strenuous life and the avoidance of luxury and decadence, and there are numerous passages in these letters to his disciple, Lucilius, which decry the ostentatious, self indulgent practices of his contemporaries. These are sentiments and ideas adopted by many in the modern world, including President Theodore Roosevelt. Seneca has no patience for philosophy as a word game or a practice of engaging in hair-splitting arguments for their own sake. He rather sees it as a practice or way of life that all those who seek the good should investigate and adopt. While the Stoics believed in democracy and republicanism, their doctrine of freedom is different from the modern idea of Liberty. Freedom was the ability to endure and pursue the good even under tyranny. While that may be admirable, modern commentators on liberty (such as Isaiah Berlin) have pointed out that defining down the range of one's actions is not a satisfactory solution to the problem of the absence of liberty in society or the world.

No stranger to power himself, Seneca virtually ruled Rome as tutor of the boy Nero--and yet he adopts a quite believable stance of simplicity and humility. It's a good bet these letters will still be found absorbing by readers for another 2,000 years.

5.0 out of 5 stars A VERY MODERN VERY OLD AND SAGE STOIC, March 1, 2002
Luciano Lupini (Caracas Venezuela) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Letters from a Stoic (Penguin Classics) (Paperback)
This book is the fundamental vademecum for every day life. No person that I know has left this book suffer the dust and the quiet tranquillity that any other philosophy book enjoy in a library. This letters contain all the wisdom and the poise to enable any inquisitive soul to aquire selfcontrol, to endure with dignity the burdens of misfortune, to take success and fame with humbleness and cynicism, to prepare with serenity to die. Finally, to consider the end of life with the detachment of someone who has used well a precious object, without contracting the disease of jealousy.
This is a very easily readable book, and it was written by Seneca in the last four years of his life (62-65 A.D.). In my opinion is the masterpiece of his moral philosophy.
Seneca's literary style was criticized by his contemporaries for its fragmentary and non-classic hues, and it is truly very modern. Caligula defined it as "sand without lime". St. Augustine in his City of God, in a reference to his contradictions, criticized the fact that this man who almost achieved real freedom through philosophy, pursued what he criticized, did what he loathed and inculpated what he adored. AND WHAT DOES MODERN MAN DO? Maybe we must admit that Seneca lived a life full of contradictions, triumphs and failures but he never truly believed in the roles that he had to play and he was always ready to detach himself from material things, devoid of illusions but also of bitterness.
That is why his work has survived the ages and has been celebrated for his modernity. I would say that his teachings are atemporal, and this is the best tribute to him. Maybe this is why
his letters were the bedside book of Montaigne. And mine.

5.0 out of 5 stars Seneca, the Stoic Saint, February 24, 2009
Ryan C. Holiday (Los Angeles, California) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Letters from a Stoic (Penguin Classics) (Paperback)
I tore this book to pieces. My copy is overflowing with tabbed pages and highlighted lines and notes in the margins. Seneca of course, is a fascinating figure. Gregory Hays once said about Marcus Aurelius that "not being a tyrant was something he had to work at one day at a time" and often, Seneca lost that battle. He was the Cardinal Richelieu behind Nero. He sat back and enjoyed the spoils of his student who had clearly lost his way--at least Aristotle didn't profit from Alexander's lust for power. However, there is some interesting evidence put forth in a paper titled - Seneca: The Case of the Opulent Stoic in which Lydia Motto presents that what we know of Seneca's reputation comes almost entirely from a single, less than objective source. And in fact, if we can trust the way in which Seneca faced his forced suicide there was not much difference between practice and philosophy.

The book is profoundly insightful, it calls you to action, and it has that 'quit your whining--this is life' attitude that so defines the Roman Stoics. This is by no means an all inclusive list but is Seneca on some important topics:

On doing more than consuming:
He should be delivering himself of such sayings, not memorizing them. It is disgraceful that a man who is old or in sight of old age should have wisdom deriving solely from his notebook. 'Zeno said this.' And what have you said? 'Cleanthes said that.' What have you said? How much longer are you going to serve under others? Assume authority over yourself and utter something that may be handed down to posterity. Produce something from your own resources.

On endurance:
Life's no soft affair. It's a long road you've started on: you can't but expect to have slips and knocks and falls, and get tired and openly wish--a lie--for death.

On freedom from perturbation:
Show me a man who isn't a slave; one who is a slave to sex, another to money, another to ambition; all are slaves to hope or fear. I could show you a man who has been a Consul who is a slave to his 'little old woman', a millionaire who is the slave of a little girl in domestic service. And there is no state of slavery more disgraceful than one which is self-imposed.

On quoting what you read:
There is no enjoying the possession of anything valuable unless one has someone to share it with. I shall send you, accordingly, the actual books themselves, and to save you a lot of trouble hunting all over the place for passages likely to be of use to you, I shall mark the passages so that you can turn straight away to the words I approve and admire."

5.0 out of 5 stars A Secular Bible for the 21st Century, November 17, 2004
Donald Vish (Harrods Creek, KY United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Letters from a Stoic (Penguin Classics) (Paperback)
Seneca's one hundred and twenty four letters to Lucilius constitute a secular bible, an ethical catechism written in a gnomic and epigrammatic style that sparkles as it enlightens. So impressed were the early church fathers with Seneca's moral insights that they advanced (fabricated?) the speculation that he must have come within the influence of Christian teachings. T.S. Eliot sneers at Seneca's boyish, commonplace wisdom and points out that the resemblances between Seneca's 'stoic philosophy' and Christianity are superficial. For those seeking a practical, modern manual on how to do good and how to do well, written in the 'silver point' style that values brevity, concision and memorable expression, Seneca's letters are indeed the Good Book.

5.0 out of 5 stars You are your own stumbling block, October 27, 2009
This review is from: Letters from a Stoic (Penguin Classics) (Paperback)
Seneca was born around 4 BC and died in 65 AD. It is said he was one of the most remarkable people of his time: he deserves a place in the history books not just for his philosophical writings but for acting as primary advisor to the emperor Nero, for his skill and success as a playwright, and for his financial acumen--acting in his day as the equivalent of an investment banker. The Letters were written by Seneca around AD 62 to his friend Lucilius and are best described as exercises in practical philosophy. Seneca believed that the primary reason for philosophy is so we can live better lives:

"A person who goes to a philosopher should carry away with him something or other of value every day; he should return home a sounder man or at least more capable of becoming one."

In a beautiful letter Seneca provides this wonderful wisdom on why we should study philosophy;

"It moulds and constructs the soul; it orders our life, guides our conduct, shows us what we should do and what we should leave undone; it sits at the helm and directs our course as we waver amid uncertainties. Without it, no one can live fearlessly or in peace of mind. Countless things that happen every hour call for advice; and such advice is to be sought in philosophy."

That is a wonderful thought and has to be one of the best reasons for studying Philosophy and Seneca is one of the best to study. His intellectual engagement was shaped by a wide range of substantial philosophical interests and concerns with Platonism, Aristotelianism, and even with Epicureanism but it is his Stoic Philosophy that shapes much of his wisdom. Listen to the proper goal of Stoic philosophy according to Seneca;

"Philosophy . . . takes as her aim the state of happiness." And "What we [Stoics] are seeking . . . is how the mind may always pursue a steady and favourable course, may be well-disposed towards itself, and may view its conditions with joy, and suffer no interruption of this joy, but may abide in a peaceful state, being never uplifted nor ever cast down."

A life of inner peace and joy - what a wonderful goal. As discussed in the Wisdom Note on The Meditations by Marcus Aurelius the Stoics are not out to banish the emotions; they are out to reduce, to the extent possible, negative emotions, such as feelings of anger or grief that will disrupt our tranquillity. They value positive emotions, with feelings of joy being at the top of their list.

Seneca speaks on many topics from friendship to thoughts, the universe and fate, on issues of the passions, the structure of the soul, the nature of the `will' and the `self'. He reminds us that;

"Your greatest difficulty is with yourself; you are your own stumbling-block."

In his Letters we discover how to remove that stumbling block with the wisdom of this remarkable man.

4.0 out of 5 stars A very important author, January 31, 2008
This review is from: Letters from a Stoic (Penguin Classics) (Paperback)
Seneca was probably not the most original thinker of the Stoic school. His writing style was also not the most agreeable to many. However, Seneca has had a profound influence on many, many later writers. Pliny the Younger, St. Augustine, and Ralph Waldo Emerson all quote, and borrow from Seneca. With Marcus Aurelius, Seneca is one of the most accessible of the Stoics. He is also an invaluable source of information about Stoicism's rivals, Epicurus and his followers. This particular volume is also filled with very helpful notes, and it is a good place to start a journey with the stoics.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Ideas to be Found... NOTE: Kindle Edition has Font Size Problems, October 10, 2009
blair "masterblair" (West Hollywood, CA, United States) - See all my reviews
I actually own this in paper Back, and had been waiting for it to come into the Kindle Edition. Like Tim Ferris of The Four Hour Work Week, I read it in the morning first thing to influence my mind set for the day. As with life, sometimes it is burning with insights and reminders. Other times it just plods. But I find it very informative with ideas on how to be a better person and to live better. Even though this Philospher had controversy about if he lived as he suggested one lives. This point and a brief history on him is given at the beginning of the book. My main issue with the Kindle Edition is that whoever at the Publishers converted it for Kindle Edition, didn't bother checking it out on a Kindle. Seems for some odd reason the text will inexplicably go from normal size to 1-2 sizes bigger for a few paragraphs and then go back to regular size. I compared some of the passages to the hard copy and there is no rhyme or reason for the text size change. Do get the book, the font change is a tad annoying, but nothing major and the book is still very readable.

5.0 out of 5 stars First time Stoic, November 9, 2009
This review is from: Letters from a Stoic (Penguin Classics) (Paperback)
This was the first book I have read on Stoicism based off of the recommendation of two bloggers, Tim Ferriss and Ryan Holiday.

I have just sat here for ten minutes trying to think of a way I can explain how much I loved this book. I think that actually explains it better than any description I could give. So I will just recommend that you do a little research on stoicism and if you think you are interested in reading further, buy this book.

Letters from a Stoic (Penguin Classics)
Letters from a Stoic (Penguin Classics) by Lucius Annaeus Seneca (Paperback - July 30, 1969)
$16.00 $10.55