Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Stephen Kellogg All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Amethyst Jewelry Create an Amazon Wedding Registry Amazon Gift Card Offer jstfd6 jstfd6 jstfd6  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Winter Sports on Amazon.com Sale

Format: Amazon VideoChange
Price:$7.99

on July 16, 2010
I took a dear elder aged friend to this movie on a bad day in his life, hoping to distract him momentarily from events he couldn't do anything about. Instead, the movie re-invigorated both of us, and brought us repeatedly to tears. Say what you want about "feel good" movies, there are times when they are just what the doctor ordered!

Vanessa Redgrave is the heart of this film. The delicately fearless way she sets out to find her young lover, the grace with which she moves through the ups and downs of a process that could end in heartbreak, the care with which she brushes the young Sophie's hair...she is simply and purely lovely. Women d'un certain age should enjoy the possibilities she presents for aging beautifully.

I also suspect this movie was made after the death of Redgrave's daughter, Natasha Richardson, and so the scenes in which she calls Sophie "my darling" and loves her so freely are especially moving. Hollywood, listen up! Cast more Vanessa Redgraves, Judy Denschs and Helen Mirrens as stars in movies about life after 60, and you'll fill the theaters.
33 comments170 of 173 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 31, 2010
I went to this picture with my mom because I enjoy romantic films and adore Italian landscape. I was pleasantly surprised. The cast was absolutely charming, and I didn't come away with that "why did they have to put that in there" feeling. A true "feel good" movie. So many films go along nicely then suddenly BAM! an unexpected horribly sad plot twist. This gets worse than old at times. I'm a big Austen fan, and although she wrote with unexpected plot twists she always ends with a happy, if predictable, ending. And how do "her" film adaptations do?! Awesome! Let's hope hollywood learns something here. I hated to see the film end, and could have turned right around and watched it again. Way to Go! Some great young stars shine in this film. Hope to see them around again.
22 comments84 of 90 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 15, 2010
I went to watch this film last night, mainly to see Vanessa Redgrave, and Franco Nero acting together again, having seen them in Camelot a long while ago.
I am an old romantic, hence Camelot being my favourite film of all time, but I have to say Letters to Juliet will now come a close second.
It was a pleasure to watch, The story line was a bit cute, but enjoyable nonetheless.
I found some of the scenes quite moving. I know wether I am enjoying a film as I smile all the time and thats exactly what I did.
The scenery was wonderfull, and will encourage many visitors to beautifull Verona and the wonderfull Italy.
Pleasant, romantic, sceneic, funny, what more could you ask for. Curl up with a box of chocolates.
0Comment25 of 26 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 10, 2010
I was out of town the first time my wife and daughter went to see this film. When I got back and asked her if she wanted to go to a movie she chose this one again and we all went. Last weekend I asked her if she wanted to go to a movie and she asked if this was still playing. I promised her I would purchase this for her as soon as it was released on DVD. I am doing so now that we have a release date.
The movie is VERY predictable but also very "FEEL GOOD". As a guy you can't go wrong renting or buying this movie and watching it with the special person in your life. The acting is good, the characters believable, and there is also nothing I could find to keep the entire family from viewing it, although it probably won't be enjoyed by persons who have not reached the age of understanding the joy of true love.
Buying this DVD/BLU-RAY disk should save me hundreds in gas money, beverages, pop-corn and admission prices. I highly recommend it!!
33 comments23 of 24 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon May 9, 2010
This is the true story: In 19th century, people of Verona indicated a house as the residence of Juliet from William Shakespeare's "Romeo and Juliet." Later, in 1937, it became a tradition to go to Juliet's grave in Verona and leave Juliet a letter about one's love problems. In 1990s the amount of letters reached astronomical proportions and a group of volunteers, who call themselves "Club di Giulietta," took it upon themselves to answer each and every letter that's left for Juliet.

Enter Hollywood: A young woman named Sophie (played by Amanda Seyfried) on her pre-Honeymoon discovers a letter left unanswered since 1957 and decides to answer it. This sets in motion the entire movie and, lo and behold, the audience is following the film's characters through Italy's countryside in the search for one true love.

"Letters to Juliet" is a cute romantic comedy that has some pretty scenery and captures of Verona, Italy. The movie is rather unrealistic but in a nice, harmless way that makes the most critical of us smile. Although the film never transcends beyond the fairy-tale, it's a sugar-sweet movie that leaves a pleasant feeling.

Amanda Seyfried struggles with the responsibility of carrying on a film as a leading lady and Gael García Bernal is miscast as the fiance that never has time for Sophie. It's up to the film's elders to make the story compelling and Vanessa Redgrave shines as the woman who wrote Juliet a letter and is moved to search for her long-lost true love after fifty years.
88 comments79 of 94 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 15, 2010
I do not cry very often in movies, But in this one, OMG! I've almost drowned in my own tears...

Predictible? Entirely. Cliches? Another big YES!But the movie is never cheesy or corky and that's the reason it conquered me completly.

The film is simply beautiful( Franco and Redgrave meeting, the wedding cerimony and Vanessa reading Amanda's letter to her during the wedding reception soaked my kleenex). Vanessa and Nero are a very sincere tribute to true love and her performance is delicate and sensitive.

The two young guys are less charming but Amanda is adorable and sweet.

I highly recommend. What a beautiful love story! There's not such like this sort nowadays..
VINE VOICEon May 20, 2010
Quite honestly, I didn't really plan to go see this movie. Although I really enjoy Amanda Seyfried, when I saw the previews for this movie, it looked a bit too much like a schmaltzy romance, a kind of celluloid goo that doesn't resonate five minutes after leaving the theater. However, wiser heads (and my partner) prevailed, and I found myself almost enchanted over the next two hours at this delightful, quiet, powerful type of romance film that truly has appeal.

Ms. Seyfried finds herself once again playing another Sophie (first one in Mamma Mia!), who once again is engaged (this time to a distractable fiance played by the lovable Gael Garcia Bernal). This Sophie doesn't sing, but writes. No, she doesn't write either, but merely is a fact checker for the New Yorker magazine, but yearns to write. Due to scheduling conflicts, she and her fiance Victor fly to Verona, seemingly to have an early honeymoon, but in reality, Victor wants to dialogue business the entire trip. This leaves Sophie to find the venerable "Juliet wall", where hoards of heartbroken women leave love notes to Juliet attached to a wall, hoping she will help them with their crisis (remind me never to fall in love in Verona!).

Seeing a woman pluck the notes from the wall, Sophie discovers a small group of women who answer these lovelorn letters (at least the ones with addresses). Sophie quickly joins the group and finds a letter one day, fifty years in the making. It was written by a young English woman who, due to circumstance, could not marry the Italian boy she loved. Sophie writes back, and invites the amazing Vanessa Redgrave into the movie, playing lovelorn Claire, and her mildly cartoony and thickly irritating grandson Charlie with her.

Predictable? Entirely. You know exactly where the movie is headed ten minutes into it, and the director of the movie Gary Winick, seems to not realize it by giving us a few unnecessary scenes towards the end that could have easily been cut or shortened. However, what makes this movie five stars is the character of Claire. Her story is handled so gently, with kid gloves, a small dash of humor, and most importantly, with respect. Redgrave glows on the screen in every scene she's in, and you get the sense that the trip is more for her grandson that it ever is for her.

It's not often that movies nowadays treats romance of our senior set with any respect or admiration. Sometimes, they are accorded two scenes, while the focus of the movie lands on the young twenty-nothings to carry the plot (and plop popcorn buying teens into the seats). So Claire's story is a wonderfully invigorating breath of fresh air into what could have been a stale movie. Her search is a search for love eternal, and one that the audience goes along with her, with bated breath, waiting to see if she finds her lost love, and cheering her every step of the way.
The reality of my life is that I have to wait a while for movies I want to see. I see them advertised at the theater, read the reviews, decide which ones I am interested in and then wait for the DVD. Sometimes, the movie does not live up to my extended expectations. Other times, my patience is richly rewarded. Last night was one of those times.

I was so excited to get to see "Letters to Juliet" last night. It tells the story of a wannabe writer, Sophia, who goes off to Verona on a vacation with her fiance. He's busy scoping out suppliers for his new restaurant, so she takes advantage of the time to do some sight-seeing on her own. In doing so, she comes across a group of women called the "secretaries of Juliet" who write back to the women who leave their letters asking for love advice at Juliet's wall. She joins them, and finds a letter written 50 years earlier (it had been stuck behind a brick). On a whim, she responds to the woman who had left her one true love behind when she was a girl. The letter finds the owner, the owner's grandson finds Sophia and the adventure to find Lorenzo (the man left behind) begins. I am a sucker for a good love story and this one certainly met the bill. It is a sweet story, rated PG, with nothing objectionable in it. It has a sense of mystery, a good sense of humor, and shows that love can come in many different ways and at different stages of life. I highly recommend it!
on August 30, 2010
My husband and I saw the move a couple of months ago and I was afraid it would be a total "chick flick" - but the tenderness of the love story wrapped itself around our hearts. We lived in Italy for two years, our daughter was born 30 miles from Verona in Vicenzia - so this movie with all Italian beauty brought back the magic of our lives many years ago.
on August 6, 2010
This was a truly classic and awe inspiring film! The gorgeous scenery, the clever plot, the humor and the excitement all combine to fill your heart with joy and delight in every minute you spend watching this! This movie is a classic tale that will win your heart by showing you historic and unique views of the Italian countryside and inspiring you with sweet and hilarious romance. I think that this is a educational movie because it includes both Italian and British cultures to help expand your mind about our world! It will also show you that everyone is charming and unique no matter what misfortunes they have endured! Please buy this movie!