on February 18, 2013
Format: PaperbackVerified Purchase
It is helpful to all who want to let go of things that are disturbing them. On the back it says " it is an valuable resource for all professionals who work in the areas of mental health, psychology, medicine , self help, addiction recovery, and spiritual development. It should have included anybody that wants less stress and more peace in their lives.

Dr. Hawkins gives you solutions that have worked for him and patients for over 50 years. They have worked exceptionally well for me too. For example, I loved the can't VS won't question to put things in perceptive. I can't means you have an underlying fear. He gives you ways to see through the fears and realized that you really can so it really is a won't. That question is one that I use to see what my true motives are. All the information on work, love, depression, grief, courage, happiness and etc were outstanding in helping me to recontextalize the way I was seeing things. The healing the past technique I used for over a month and couldn't see what he was trying to get me to do. I kept at it. Then wham!!! It hit me like a ton of bricks. I immediately let go of enormous anger I had about a situation that I had carried for years. WOW did that ever change things for me. I use it now and I see things with a different pair of glasses. The chapter on relationships was great also. There are so many other things that are of help in this book. Whenever some emotions come up I usually pick this book up. Then I find an answer to help get rid of the pain or emotion. You have to apply the techniques and work them to get results. They do work!

I am much calmer and have much less stress. This is a how to book on how to improve all areas of your life. Really a must read for all the professionals listed above and the average person.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 7, 2013
Format: Paperback
Just by the act of reading through this book I could feel negative blocks becoming undone of their own. And for the more ingrained negative blocks and beliefs, there are specific techniques that I never would have thought of on my own in order to "Let Go" of negative patterns in the mind. One of them is a problem solving technique of surrendering where you don't try and surrender on the problem, but you surrender the negative charge energy of the question you are asking yourself. For instance I was trying to get into a new career and didn't think there were many options for me. So rather than going out into the world and white-knuckle through finding a job, I surrendered on the question "Why can't I find a purposeful, prosperous career". I immediately felt an overwhelming negative surge within me that I was able to surrender using the Letting Go Technique. Now the fear has greatly lessened and options for a career seem to spring up out of nowhere. I found they were there the whole time, but I just couldn't see them when I was in the negative, self-deprecating state. There are many more great techniques to surrender in this book that have been so helpful. I cannot be grateful enough to have found this book.
on February 24, 2013
Format: Paperback
This book both teaches, models, and facilitates letting go. Just reading it opens new ways to become more free.

The book opens with a freewheeling inventory of spiritual seeking and the resultant bewilderment. There's nothing like it in all Hawkins' work for fun and zaniness.

Then the book's solution is presented through a brilliant analysis titled the Anatomy of Emotions. This is the master key to Hawkins' work of bringing emotional peace to humanity. David discovers five strategies for dealing with emotions and shows unexpected ways to using these five strategies.

Particularly empowering is the discussion of denial of surrender, which explains why the mechanism of denial whereby many former students of Dr Hawkins can "forget" the miraculous healings they experienced as a result of the work; this helps create compassion for people's baffling tendency to give false explanations for having surrendered through the enlightened Presence of a spiritual teacher.

Two categories of letting go are letting go of negative emotions and letting go of resisting positive emotions:

Two thirds of the book evokes and teases out these two categories experientially. Each of these chapters open with a mini inventory of similar words, which just by reading through surfaces new options and choices, new ways to get free. Rather than an intellectual or therapeutic approach, here we have crisp clinical observations, flashes of wit (Hawkins is the George Carlin of Consciousness), and recontextualizations that bring release. Subjects include love, sex, money, work, sales, and happiness.

The last third of the book treats specifics and relies on experience with the previous two thirds of the book. A miraculous and simple way to solve problems well and make the right decisions through letting go is shared.

The last two chapters concern letting go of illness and letting go of the small self or ego/mind. They are for the healer and spiritual student in us all.

Although David Hawkins died in late 2012, I hope this will not be the last of his manuscripts Veritas publish. He was a kind man and he is missed. In addition, work so useful and caring will find a lively and appreciative audience. Five stars from a completely happy customer.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 21, 2013
Format: Paperback
Dr. Hawkins always said he started writing because he wanted to be able to reach the most people and relieve suffering. I think he did it with this book. I have read all of his other books and listened to many lectures and have seen great advances in my journey to enlightenment, but most other people I talk to about his work have not been able to get into it enough to see the benefits of his teachings. All of his other work can be very deep and can get a little academic, where this book is all practical, applicable insight that will work right away. He only touches on the map of consciousness in a general way, and does not tie it in as deeply with kinesiology which has been a hangup for many people I've talked to. Even if you are not a serious spiritual student, just someone wanting to improve their life and have greater happiness, this will help.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on April 28, 2014
Format: PaperbackVerified Purchase
This book has had more impact on my life than any of Dr. Hawkins' other books. After my husband died, my world was rocked to the very core, I was overwhelmed with grief and loss, and completely turned upside down and inside out. However, I learned to hold my grief in the safe context of greater growth and healing.

I made a commitment to not stuff anything at any time and each time I processed it through and released it, I emerged lighter and clearer. This took me about 14 months (not fulltime but slowly tapered off) of open willingness and surrender, resulting in a sense of wholeness and gratitude for the 33 years we did have together, and a re-coring of my new life alone.

Packets of feelings still surface, as if the lid to the lifetime-compressed emotional vault seems to be off permanently. No pressure builds up now and whatever comes up is readily accepted and released without the dread of overwhelm. A side effect of this work is that early childhood events are coming up too, so I am also cleaning house on them. Each time I do that, forgiveness seems automatic.

I have been extremely blessed to have this book in my life and know that I will re-read it regularly and more important, I DO the processing morning and night as he recommends - and more often as needed during the day, in fact, just this morning at work............
on February 22, 2014

Format: PaperbackVerified Purchase
I have all of Dr. Hawkins books and read them cover to cover some twice. They are all great, but this one is the by far the one that is the most practical for it shows you the steps that you must apply for the releasing of the ego, and the feelings, emotions and thought patterns that keep you from realizing the one true Self. It shows the results of being totally surrendered as a ongoing day in day out, hour by hour practice.

What keeps us from realizing who we really are, from success, from true love, from true happiness is only one thing: our resistance to it and our beliefs that hamper us from expressing our true natural Divine nature. All of his books are real gems, this one is the "gemmiest" of all.
on May 28, 2014
Format: Paperback
One will definitely pick up on the fact that David R Hawkins was a doctor as this book is a bit technical at times however the technicalities are needed and a very important part of understanding the pathway of surrender. In this book,Dr.Hawkins offers a pathway to freedom that we long for but find difficult to attain. I have read many self-help titles and they are more vague compared to Dr.Hawkins book. Letting Go; The Pathway of Surrender provides the roadmap to a freer life for anyone who is willing to make the trip. All that is required is the willingness to let go of the attachments of your current life experiences.
This is not the type of book that you will want to rush through, slowly and methodically taking in each and every word is the way to go about absorbing all this wonderful information to help better yourself and that of the others around you. Each and every chapter is filled with a multitude of information to help one have a greater understanding of their emotional, physical and spiritual selves. As you read through this masterpiece you will discover things about yourself that you thought were not even aware of.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 21, 2014
Format: Paperback
Released about the same time as Disney's latest kid's movie exploded into the media market with a song of similar title, I didn't have much hope for “Letting Go” by Dr. David Hawkins. And, granted, with the growing self-help genre, this book did have the possibility of being trite and fad-ish. Oddly enough, his first few paragraphs acknowledge this with a journey through all of the self-help fads from books to yoga to diets to healings to medicine to herbs. And if that didn't hook me...he ended this tirade along the human search for enlightenment in a dark world with this blurb. “Confusion is our salvation.”
Perfect! I'm confused! Bring it on!
His biggest push from that moment forward is “Know Thyself”. And even though that phrase is decidedly denominational...his book isn't. It blurs all distinguishing lines between belief systems. And that's refreshing. Letting Go is about being in charge of how you feel...not letting learned emotional responses to familiar situations control you.
Dr. Hawkins says that emotions color our world. Fear inside causes us to view the world as scary. Anger inside causes us to view the world as chaotic and frustrating. Guilt? Temptation and sin.
He talks lots about stress. Because that's the catch-all word that seems to underlie every human issue from physical illness to mental instability to catastrophic human events. And he defines stress as our emotional reaction to a stimulus (an outside event) that triggers buried emotions.
And why are we still searching for the answer to relieving stress? Because stress-reduction programs focus on relief of the symptom...stress...instead of the cause.
The cause? Repression of that initial emotion.
The rest of the book is devoted mainly to convincing you that repression of emotions is harmful and Letting Go is beneficial. He uses bunches of different real-world examples to describe, detail and delineate this. To be perfectly honest, I skimmed most of this stuff because it's basic. If you've browsed the self-help aisle much, you know all this stuff. So, really, all I needed was this:
Negative feelings, if buried reemerge as negative thoughts. And, we know enough to know that thoughts create our world. So, ending the cycle before it begins seems like the most streamlined approach.
He goes on to say that we focus on what we have repressed, and external events trigger what we have been holding on to...essentially, so that we have a second (or third or fiftieth) chance to release it.
The logical mind, because it is trained to repress....turns instantly to blame. “He made me angry.” “That person cut me off.” “She said something mean to me.”
So we bypass the logical mind before it gets started by focusing just on the emotion...not the running commentary in our mind about the situation and the emotional response to it.
Okay...so if you need one more reason to release your emotions before they hit your logical mind? He explains that humans get stuck in emotions because they think it will bring them something or do something for them. “I'll stay mad so I can tell the person that did it to me that I'm mad so they never do this thing to me again.” Silly? Of course.
Things that we want come to us because of the decisions we make. And when we are in an emotionally charged state, we don't make great decisions.
So, if you're trying to decide what book to read next...."Letting Go" of your emotions might help you choose more clearly.
Enjoy!
FTC Disclosure: I received this book for free from Hay House Publishing for this review. The opinion in this review is unbiased and reflects my honest judgment of the product.
To buy this book : http://www.hayhouse.com/letting-go-2
on February 22, 2013
Format: Paperback
While other books use a lot of paper to say just a few things, David Hawkin's wastes no space at all.
He packs more into one paragraph than most are able to do in a whole chapter, if not in some entire books.
This is a very, very advanced, yet very accessible book which could prove to be very helpful to
many people on this earth. I will keep it by my bedside for It's a life-time study, a life-time handbook. Thanks David!
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...