5.0 out of 5 stars Heavily Featured, Well Made Baby Monitor
Customer Video Review     Length:: 7:33 Mins
Published on February 9, 2011 by Steve Taylor

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible Product, DO NOT BUY!!!
Published on September 23, 2011 by Tyler D. Muth

5.0 out of 5 stars Heavily Featured, Well Made Baby Monitor, February 9, 2011
Steve Taylor (Only visiting this planet) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Levana Safe N'See Digital Video Baby Monitor with Talk-to-Baby Intercom and Lullaby Control (LV-TW501) (Baby Product)
Length:: 7:33 Mins

Here is my video review of the "Levana LV-TW501 Safe N See Digital Video Baby Monitor with Talk-to-Baby Intercom and Lullaby Control" (shoo, that's a mouth full). Hopefully this review will help you decide on this product or not. If you have any questions please post a comment and I'll reply. Over-all this looks like a great product with lots of features. Although I am not familiar with Levana products it seems very well made.

Update. I did want to add that the camera pivots in one direction so it must be lined up with your subject.

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible Product, DO NOT BUY!!!, September 23, 2011
Tyler D. Muth (Bethesda, MD, United States) - See all my reviews
We bought a babyview20 for our first child and loved it. I then bought this monitor for our new baby. It has been a nightmare of back and forth with Levana. The battery life is terrible. We were getting less than 2 hours. So, they sent another battery and I ordered an extra base. Within a week the monitor completely died. It's really difficult to contact them as they only take calls during business hours Monday through Friday and I travel a lot for work.

So, after a number of calls I finally got them to send a complete new monitor and requested the babyview20, not this one thinking it would be better. They agreed to cross-ship it (which was nice) if they could charge my card for a new one. So, they charged me $199 + $12.50 for ground shipping. It's currently going for $139 on amazon. So, not only did they charge me more than it's selling for, but then they charged me for shipping AND they shipped it via ground which took forever. Just what you need when you have a new baby.

New monitor arrives, battery is completely dead. I emailed them about it as it was the weekend and never heard from them. So I finally found a time in my schedule when I could call them before 5PM. I got their after hours service at like 4:30PM EDT and they said they couldn't do anything except pass on the message. So I get an email from them a few days later asking for my return number. I replied within 30 minutes but never heard anything. So I called again and finally got through and they've agreed to send a battery within 5-7 business days. I asked (demanded) that they overnight one but they refused.

Did I mention that about a week ago the monitor just started playing music on it's own which completely freaks out my 3 year old when he's sleeping? I thought one of my family members had just pushed the button until I was in my sons room getting is laundry and the music started playing. I was the only one home and I checked the base and it was on the mantel downstairs and turned off. I thought it was just a one-time glitch until my 3 year old kept waking up wailing a few days in a row. Here the music was randomly turning on throughout the day. So, I took apart the camera and disassembled the speaker.

We have a 3 year old and a new-born. We have enough headaches and stress in our life. I don't need anymore, especially not from a device that's supposed to make it easier. Do yourself a favor and shop for another brand.

1.0 out of 5 stars DO NOT WASTE MONEY ON LEVANA, March 31, 2011
This is the first review I have ever written out of the many things I have purchased through amazon. I write this because I feel very strongly about the poor quality levana products and feel people should have a heads up about what they are getting.

When my baby was first born, I originally bought the basic levana babyview 20 and it worked well until right after 1 year. The antennae broke off exposing the wire underneath it, the kickstand on the monitor broke off...so I contacted levana customer service. I couldn't get through to them via phone so I emailed. Didn't hear back for a few weeks, then emailed them again. They pretty much told me that because it had been longer than a year, it was a "too bad, so sad" situation. The monitor seemed to function for several months and I decided instead of buying a new one, I would try to wait it out. Then shortly thereafter, it was making a very loud noise that I couldn't sleep with it on. The monitor was not mishandled or dropped...just generally used and it still fell apart so fast.

After looking and looking for a new monitor, I kept coming back to this levana item because of the lower price with all the bells and whistles (talk talk to baby, temperature, etc). Originally when I first started looking, I remember there being a lot more reviews, with half negative, half positive ones for this item but after about a week, all the reviews were wiped out and there were only 4 reviews with 5 stars. I fooled myself into thinking maybe this was a much better product, and for the price and free shipping, I decided on it.

IT IS A TERRIBLE MONITOR! IF YOU WANT TO SEE FROZEN IMAGES OF YOUR BABY AND NOT LIVE VIDEO, DO NOT GET THIS MONITOR. The battery life is terrible, the image quality is poor (blue, blurry images). The "talk to baby" function makes your voice sound like a monster. I don't even use it because is TERRIFIES my baby. THe only nice thing about it is tells you the temperature of the room.

I am in the process of contacting CSN to see if I can return this. I won't be purchasing levana again. Maybe I got a bad monitor, or maybe they just put our poor products assembled in China. You get what you pay for and if you think this is a good deal, think again.

Also shady that Amazon removes reviews at their lesiure. Who knows, they might not like this honest review and not even post it in which case I won't purchase anything from amazon again.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice - with some room for improvement, January 30, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is a feature packed baby monitor that took about 5 minutes to set up. In a nut shell, the best features are:
- Great in low light and even no light conditions (when the IR LEDs are turned on)
- Very easy to use interface on the monitor
- Sound activated mode
- Temperature sensor
- The range covered my entire house - both stories
- Every feature on the camera monitor except on/off is controlled by the handheld unit

Where there is room for improvement:
- The voice transmission from the monitor to the camera is not all that clear and sounds hollow.
- The color on the monitor is far from accurate. Violets, blues, and even a rust color all appeared gray when illuminated directly overhead by 2 65w bulbs. Gray appears blue in daylight. It all varies depending on whether the lighting is natural daylight, incandescent and florescent. Daylight gets the best results.
- It does not handle harsh shadow well. A window with indirect sunlight and the crib low and to one side was not a good combination. It was easily corrected with camera placement, however.

Of note, this is an ultra portable setup. Moving it to another room or taking it along on a trip is as simple as unplugging the camera and the monitor/charging base and plugging it in some place different.

1.0 out of 5 stars DO NOT BUY THIS MONITOR., October 7, 2011
I never write reviews, but I have to warn people about this monitor. First of all, it took approx 2 months for it to arrive. I will say it is easy to set up and use. I have twins who sleep in the same crib, and I wanted to be able to see them. The quality of the audio is ok and the video is decent. FOR THE 3 WEEKS THAT IT WORKED.The camera just stopped working. Then the real trouble started. Levana's return policy is out of control. After contacting them, they told me that I could be charged $199.00 (more than what we paid for the defective one on Amazon) for a replacement monitor to use while they tested my old one. Once my monitor was deemed defective, I would be credited the $199.00. I chose to borrow an audio monitor from a friend and just send off my defective one. The return paperwork makes you acknowledge that if you didn't pack your shipment correctly (with the appropriate paperwork or the right amount of packing material) you would be charged for any additional expenses (what that would be I have no idea). Also, you must sign to acknowledge that if the monitor was not found to be under warranty, you agree to have them fix it for $50/hr. I did not sign either agreement, just in case, and sent off my monitor. Levana received it on Aug. 31, 2011. After weekly chats with their customer representatives, I am still waiting on a new monitor. Each person tells me something different, and the length of time they say it takes to complete every process is ridiculous: allow 2-4 weeks once monitor is received for testing, 5-7 business days to actually test it, 1-3 days to create an order for a new unit once the old one is found defective, etc. One person told me I should have a monitor by the end of this week, but another person today told me an order had not been placed. My girls will be probably be walking by the time I get a new one. If I sound crazy, it's because I am. Levana has driven me insane. I'm just glad I didn't tie up $200 waiting on them. SAVE YOURSELF AND DO NOT BUY THIS THING.

1.0 out of 5 stars Worst Monitor Used, July 16, 2011
I have 2 boys ages 3 and 1. We have a Summer brand monitor and the Levana Babyview20 monitor. The Summer monitor is nice however the static that comes through all the time is annoying and makes sleeping difficult. The Levana Babyview20 model is fantastic - the battery lasts a long time, the VOX mode is great, no static comes through, and overall easy to use. When the boys broke our Levana Babyview20 monitor which I love, I wanted another Levana monitor. I was anticipating the same quality however I am sad to say the Safe'N See model is horrible. The battery might last 2 hours even with 12+ hours of charging. The monitor will turn off with no audible sound. You have no idea the monitor has turned off unless you are lucky enough to notice the blinking light. Basically you must take the charger with you all the time or you might miss a cry. The monitor will come on at random times no matter what or not come on when there is noise in the room. My son whose room this monitor is in plays his music boxes sometimes all night and the monitor might or might not come on while in VOX mode no matter what the sensitivity level is. He has cried out and the monitor did not come on even with a VOX sensitivity level at 3 - middle of the road. If you set the VOX sensitivity too high then the monitor video stays on all the time, the video is bright no matter how low you set the brightness so unless you can sleep with the room lit up like daylight then you will get very little sleep. The vibration mode is annoying and can scare the daylights out of you. A lot of bells and whistles on this model that do NOT live up to expectations. We would return the monitor if we had kept the box. Looks like we will probably go back to using the Summer monitor for this boy's room. I don't think we can use the same model in 2 different rooms as they do not have different channels. If we could use the same model in both boys rooms, we would use the Babyview20 however Levana no longer makes this model. Love the Levana Babyview20 however strongly dislike the Safe'N See model!

3.0 out of 5 stars Great while it worked..., March 25, 2011
I received this product and was super excited about it. The picture is really pretty amazing even at night! I did not like that you could not turn the volume off or down very low really and the music part is nice but only works if you have the monitor on. My point being that I didn't necessarily want to listen to the music while looking at my baby and could not turn off the volume on my end. The option to speak to your baby sounds like a nice idea except I think it scared my son more than soothed him. After about a week the camera portion stopped working. It would sometimes turn on and sometimes do nothing (I think it was a loose connection or something). The Levana company was helpful in giving me return/exchange instructions and I am awaiting my replacement. Hopefully the second one is a little sturdier!

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice tool for learning what baby's sounds mean, February 11, 2011
Irish Lace (St. Louis Missouri) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I gave this product to my daughter and son-in-law to test as they have just had our granddaughter. This is my daughter's review:

>>>> "There are advantages to being able to see your baby while she sleeps. It helps you learn her sounds and what they may mean. When all you can do is listen you don't really know what her body language is so you don't know exactly what she's doing; being able to peek in with the video helped me learn my baby's sounds in the early weeks when we were still getting to know one another. After that I found I didn't need to always watch the monitor and was able to relax when she would start "talking".

The Levana monitor has a VOX setting where the video only turns on if sound is picked up (and you can set the level of sensitivity for the sound). If she starts waking up then the monitor comes on for ten seconds. It will come on again if sound is picked up and you can turn the monitor on for a quick check by pressing any button. This helped me at night when I found myself just staring at the picture waiting for her to do something. Now I can sleep because the light from the monitor will wake me up and let me know she needs me.

The nightlight is really weak and the "talk" feature distorts your voice so much it's hard to imagine the baby getting much comfort from it. But it also allows you turn on music from the monitor and the music is pretty. The ability to turn it on remotely and set the volume without having to go into the room is a nice feature. It also allows you to monitor the temperature in the room.. that feature doesn't really need to be there but doesn't take anything away. If anything, it just helps you know that the circulation in the house is correct and the baby's room is what it should be.

My biggest complaint is that the battery power on the monitor doesn't last very long.. about three hours of run time. It is rechargeable (which is GREAT!) but even after recharging all night I have to put it back on the base halfway through the day. Not a huge inconvenience but it's really annoying when it turns off unexpectedly. We also have a regular "sound only" monitor so I just switch to that, but we only have that because we weren't planning on having the video monitor (it was a gift). So, if you don't have a back-up then you are monitor-less when the battery runs out. The charge light does flash when the battery is low but doesn't really give you an idea of how long you have. But, if you keep an eye on it and recharge it when the baby is awake then you shouldn't have much of a problem.

I recommend you keep the base by the side of the bed so you can use it and charge it at night when you sleep. Overall, I highly recommend this product if you are looking for a video monitor. I don't think a video is necessary, though. A regular monitor is perfect because watching all the time can definitely can create a bit of a complex .. but it is also wonderful to be able to watch her sleep whenever you want without disturbing her. Just make sure you don't get too obsessed with watching or you won't get anything else done."<<<

My daughter said to me that, while she appreciated having the video monitor in the first few weeks, she doesn't think she would pay $150 for it.

2.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Product For First Month, April 13, 2011
For the first 30 days of use, the Safe N'See monitor exceeded my expectations. The video quality was very clear and the color more vibrant than I had expected. Range was excellent - it worked without interference in all corners of my home - even the basement. Some of the features I didn't think I would use (sound-activated control mode, temperature monitoring, remote-activated music) actually turned out to be quite helpful.

Then one night I went to turn on the camera unit, and nothing. No blinking light, no sound...just nothing. I suspected my surge protector was at fault, but testing other products on the surge ruled that out as a culprit. Tried everything - even put batteries in the unit to see if it was a power cord issue (I had run the camera exclusively on AC), but the camera would simply not turn on. Very disappointing, especially given that I did not carry the camera from location to location or even lightly handle it during the month I had it. I simply placed in on top of a large dresser, pointed it toward my son's crib and never needed to move or touch it other than to turn it on and off.

A few days later I finally decided to call Levana's warranty number, but before I did, I thought I would try the camera unit again. Magically, it came to life. Everything was back to normal, though I was a bit nervous trusting the monitor after inexplicably dying on me once before. Lo and behold, a few days later, the camera went completely dead again one evening when I tried to turn it on. I'd had enough with what appeared to be a lemon unit.

I contacted Levana, as I was outside of my seller's return window, and they were helpful on the phone. They troubleshooted the camera and monitor units, and they suspected my camera unit had some kind of "short" in it. They quickly issued me an RA number, and I shipped the unit to their upstate NY headquarters for replacement (at my expense, which I plan to take up with them). They told me it could take 2-4 weeks to "process" my return, and two weeks in I'm still waiting to hear from them.

I'll update when Levana resolves my issue.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best one yet, I have returned multiple ones., February 2, 2011
I normally do not write reviews, but tried several other brands of baby monitors and had issues with them all, from limited range to the anoying clicking or beeping background noise. This product is great and would definately buy again. The only issue is that it only allows for one camera and you cannot add extras, but it is so full of extras I still gave it 5 stars. Bought it for a newborn, but testing out with a four year old.
Some great features are:
1. The ability to talk to your child, works great so you do not have to go upstairs. Especially if child is out of bed.
2. The lullaby music. There are multiple types and even have a religeous lullaby of "Silent Night"
3. It measures temp in the room so you know your child is comfortable.
4. The night vision works great so you can still see in total darness. Right now our is all the way across room and it still looks great.
5. The large lcd screen on a portable unit. Also, the belt clip/stand allows for you to move it with you and always see the LCD.

This unit is so nice, I will probably buy another unit just to be able to keep the watchful eye on both my baby and four year old.