5.0 out of 5 stars Best Method books Currently Available

1.0 out of 5 stars Changed dramatically from first edition
Published on September 15, 2011 by Jill

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Method books Currently Available, October 30, 2010
This review is from: Level 1 - Lesson Book: Piano Adventures (Paperback)
I absolutely LOVE the Faber Piano Adventures curriculum. My pedagogy teacher in college said, "Never believe anything until you hear how it sounds." Now that I have taken a few students through this curriculum from beginning to end, I would say it sounds nothing less than beautiful. My students are extremely well equipped for intermediate classical literature upon graduating and they extremely independent learners. It's almost like they teach themselves at times.
I typically alter the teaching order of the primer level to get them reading on the staff a bit faster. But all in all this is a fantastic curriculum! You will not find a better reading approach than the Intervallic reading Faber introduces... while still having songs that sound familiar to the ears.
A few tips:
Synchronize the books... make sure you at least use the technique, lesson, and theory... they are not complete without each other... and do not go ahead to a new unit until you are ready to move in all books. The only exception is just using the lesson book if you have a very gifted student that can move through more quickly, but even then, practice never hurt anyone.

Supplement with basic technique scale skills that you teach by rote:
Primer: white key five finger patterns
Level 1: black key and minor five finger patterns and hand over hand arpeggios
Level 2a: white key one octave scales and Cadences (this is extremely important as this concept is a huge challenge in level 2b if they haven't already played it)
Level 2b: black key and minor one octave scales and cadences
Level 3a: 2 octave arpeggios and 1st and 2nd chord inversions
Level 3b-5: they are ready for any popular scale skills book such as Hannon

Also sometimes it is like a magic trick to have a student play through one or two of the supplemental series of the level they just graduated before they move on to new books. It cements the old concepts and gives them a sense of mastery because they will learn fast.

1.0 out of 5 stars Changed dramatically from first edition, September 15, 2011
The first edition Theory book was technical... all about teaching the student the basics of reading music. The second edition has gone more toward the Suzuki method-type teaching... wanting the student to do improvisation. That's fine, but this series used to be more of a technical development book. Just wanted people to know that the second edition is VERY different from the first.

3.0 out of 5 stars PIano Adventures is great for confusing young students., October 9, 2010
This review is from: Level 1 - Lesson Book: Piano Adventures (Paperback)
I'm resigned to the fact that I'm going to be a minority of one here. But you should know that Piano Adventures has serious deficiencies as a method. I will grant that the tunes are good, and I realize that is very important. But the concepts presented and the method of their presentation are not suitable for young kids (unless they have an uncommonly good teacher to put it in context). New concepts are neither prepared nor reviewed effectively. For my money, the "Celebrate Piano!" method is the only one out there that does that. That way, kids get to play fun songs AND develop deep musical understanding. In my opinion Piano Adventures is best used as supplementary repertoire with another method.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great book for teaching, December 30, 2013
I use this series to teach. I have no complaints. Really great for teaching, I see my students make lots of progress. I recommend this.

5.0 out of 5 stars My son love it, November 12, 2011
This review is from: Level 1 - Lesson Book: Piano Adventures (Paperback)
Great piano method. My son went through several methods and this one is his favorite one. The songs are very progressive and very pleasant for kids (and for adults to listen)

5.0 out of 5 stars A Wonderful Method book, January 22, 2014
This review is from: Level 1 - Lesson Book: Piano Adventures (Paperback)
This is by far my favorite method book for teaching piano lessons. (I bought this as a piano teacher.) New concepts are taught in an organized, fun way at the perfect pace. This book allows students to excel and become artistic piano players.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best method books out there, November 19, 2013
This review is from: Level 1 - Lesson Book: Piano Adventures (Paperback)
I have been teaching piano lessons for over twenty years now and the Faber and Faber method has been my favorite since college. I love how thorough the Faber's are, covering everything from technique to ear training, sight reading, theory, and artistry. My students are never disappointed by the song selection and the duets are the best I've heard from any method series.

Highly, highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice book, May 11, 2012
This review is from: Level 1 - Lesson Book: Piano Adventures (Paperback)
My student has only had about 10 lessons, but she has learned the first five songs in the book. It's a little challenging, since the hand positions change from song to song. The songs seem to get more difficult quickly, so I'm not sure whether we'll be using the book every week, but it is a good supplementary book. Many songs have a teacher duet part which makes it sound even better. My student enjoys playing the duets.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good second level beginner book., April 27, 2012
This review is from: Level 1 - Lesson Book: Piano Adventures (Paperback)
Good second level beginner book, easy to understand format that can excell the beginner to the next level and keep them chalenged.

5.0 out of 5 stars Only place I could get this book on time., May 29, 2014
This review is from: Level 1 - Lesson Book: Piano Adventures (Paperback)
I am so excited I can get the books my son's personal piano teacher request through the internet and easily received.

Level 1 - Lesson Book: Piano Adventures
Level 1 - Lesson Book: Piano Adventures by Nancy Faber (Paperback - January 1, 1996)
$6.95 $4.03