Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon $5 Albums Tile Wearable Technology Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Luxury Beauty Mother's Day Gifts Shop now Amazon Gift Card Offer seeso seeso seeso  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Shop Now SnS
Customer Discussions > Centennial forum

Levi Zendt and Lucinda

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 10 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 9, 2010 9:27:11 AM PDT
A music fan says:
In the book, how did the two die or was that never mentioned?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 19, 2010 11:32:27 AM PDT
Linky's Mom says:
I do not think it was ever mentioned, which is Michner's style. I have read the book twice, but quite awhile ago.

Posted on Jul 12, 2010 10:10:30 PM PDT
Levi dies under the wheels of a train chasing after his daughter after she leaves town.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 13, 2010 4:33:28 AM PDT
A music fan says:
Thats in the miniseries, not the book

Posted on Mar 6, 2014 12:51:47 PM PST
tom johnson says:
Levi did die under the train on TV but I have never been able to find out what happened to Lucinda.

Posted on Mar 6, 2014 12:53:36 PM PST
tom johnson says:
Also, after John Skimmerhorn left the Venneford for Texas there is no other mention of him that I can find.

Posted on Sep 21, 2014 5:47:08 AM PDT
book lover says:
I am reading Centennial as I write this (I'm almost finished). Levi's death is not mentioned in the book. Only that Lucinda is now a widow. Levi's death as portrayed in the TV series is different than the book. No train mishap is mentioned. Also, Pasquinel's death is different in the book than in the TV series. On another note, while I liked Levi's character, I was a bit disappointed that he wouldn't marry his Indian wife unless she became a Christian and that his character never progressed past this kind of thinking. He was more open-minded than his brothers, but I wished for more growth in his thinking. I feel he should have started to question his godly-beliefs after getting away from the confines of his upbringing. Just my opinion.

Posted on Oct 28, 2014 11:53:48 AM PDT
It's a little weird. Every other main character's death is at least mentioned, even it after the fact. Lame Beaver, Pasquinel, McKeag, Clay Basket, Oliver Seacombe, Mervin Wendell, Hans Brumbagh, Jim Lloyd, and Charlotte Lloyd all have their deaths portrayed or mentioned after the fact. For Levi and Lucinda, who really bridge the time between the unsettled plains and the modern era, there's no mention at all.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 14, 2015 4:53:39 PM PDT
Safirenzi says:
Well that is historically correct. So I guess you want Mitchner to lie because you don't like history? Back in the day, most people went to church, even back as soon as the 1960's. The first thing most settlers built was some kind of church. At least he didn't make her become a Mennonite.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 14, 2015 6:58:43 PM PDT
book lover says:
I think you are responding to me, so I will answer. I do not understand why you think that someone from the past can not learn to see the world differently. I expressed my opinion and stand by it. If you are a believer in one of the Abraham faiths, my condolences.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Centennial forum
Participants:  7
Total posts:  10
Initial post:  May 9, 2010
Latest post:  Aug 14, 2015

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Centennial
Centennial by James A. Michener (Hardcover - July 12, 1974)
4.7 out of 5 stars (1,599)