2,252 Reviews
 (1,288)

5.0 out of 5 stars 501 easier to buy online
While much of the negative commentary concerned Levi Strauss's move away from domestic manufacturing has focused on the button-fly 501s, the bigger problem I have seen is with the old 1970's standby, the 505, which has a zipper as opposed to button fly. The variability on sizing and sew quality with the 505s is an issue if you are going to buy them online or mail order...
Published on March 11, 2007 by Great Faulkner's Ghost

1.0 out of 5 stars NOT 501's!
Real 501's are made of 14 oz canvas-like material. These "Iconic Rigid" jeans are made of some sleazy, much lighter material that takes on a carefully contrived set of wrinkles to make them look like they'd been worn to bed soaking wet and dried out overnight. If you want real 501's stay away from these. I sent mine back right away.
Published on September 8, 2009 by Leslie Seth Hammond

1.0 out of 5 stars NOT 501's!, September 8, 2009

1.0 out of 5 stars I wouldn't....., November 28, 2009
Mr. Bill (Los Altos, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Levi's Men's 501 Original Fit Jean (Apparel)
I have been wearing Levi 501 shrink-to-fit for at least 20 years. My advice re. buying online is don't. Here's why.

I hate to shop and normally just ask my wife to pick up some jeans when she's at the store. I know my size, and this has always worked. So, when internet shopping came into vogue, things were even easier. Until a couple of years ago. Starting then, my good old size started showing up too big, or too small, or wouldn't shrink right. Bottom line is that I wound up with several unusable pairs of jeans. So, I finally bit the bullet and made the trek to Macy's. Tried on 4-5 pairs of identically marked jeans and they were all over the map. Found a pair that fit. Washed them once and they turned into floods. Returned them and got another pair. Washed them and they're ok. So, I'm done with buying jeans online. And I'm probably done with Levi's.

I say "probably" because this assumes I can find anything any better. The market provides what the consumer demands, and apparently what the American consumer demands is cheap, useless junk. As other reviewers have observed, the current version of Levi's denim is shameful. Not only is it thin and non-wearing, but since it shrinks along one bias more than the other, it is important to orient the fabric in the machine correctly. Apparently, this is too much to ask. Ditto for getting either the waist or the leg to match the label.

Bottom line: My advice is, if you're going to buy Levi's, don't do it online. It just doesn't work.

1.0 out of 5 stars Destroyed an American classic, June 26, 2011
This review is from: Levi's Men's 501 Original Fit Jean (Apparel)
Can't believe it, but I guess times change and as a CPA I understand cost and profit issues in business, but it is still sad that I tried 3 times to order my favorite Levis jeans only to find they changed styles and cuts amounting to using less material since the waists are shorter and of course the thin, light weight denim. I would much rather have paid a higher price and have them left things the way they were, but I guess they would not get the volume of sales to support such a concept. I dread having to find another brand, but have no choice.

Good bye levi's, after more than 4 decades. I will miss you.

2.0 out of 5 stars Are these really 501's ???, June 7, 2009
Aileen Wilson "ADW" (Oregon United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Levi's Men's 501 Original Fit Jean (Apparel)
My husband has other Levis 501's and these new ones are different in the weight of fabric ( light), fit(tighter in the leg and crotch) and color of stiching(white). Also the rivits and buttons are white instead of metal color. They also shrank when washed in cold water and line dried. Are these real Levis 501's or knock off's ?They are made in Mexico, his older ones are made in Colombia and are regular heavy fabric Levi 501 work pants. We are not happy with these pants but have already washed and used them. We would never order them again.

1.0 out of 5 stars Just not as good as they used to be, November 21, 2009
This review is from: Levi's Men's 501 Original Fit Jean (Apparel)
I have been buying the sized 501's (not the Shrink-to=Fits) for my husband for nearly 15 years. Starting almost a year ago it is an absolute fact that these jeans no longer hold up for years the way they used to. In the past (at least up until 2 or 3 years ago) my husband would have about 4 pairs of jeans, so he might be washing them farily frequently. It was not unusual for a pair to last at least a couple of years. But since a year and a half ago or so, his jeans have been wearing through in about 4 to 6 months. He has many more pairs, so they do not get washed as often and are not subject to stress from the washer and dryer. The seams split at the crotch and down the legs and the seat wears. He does not give them rough wear. He is a college professor who is on his feet a lot, but not in a physically stressful job. Levi's just are not as good as they used to be and any one who says differently hasn't been buying them or wearing them as much as we have.

1.0 out of 5 stars Label says the same size, the fit says otherwise; ever thinning denim, November 18, 2009
Levi's Men's 501 Jean
Until this week, I had been wearing levis all my life and in recent years was only wearing 501's for all occasions. I buy many different colors for my various activites. Currently I have over 10 pairs that have never been worn because there is no quality control at Levi Strauss. Living out in the country it is too difficult and costs too much to send the items back in to Amazon. The 501's I have were made in Egypt, Mexico, Haiti and other various places. The labels all match in size however some of the jeans are at least a full size smaller at the waist and some of the pairs have the correct waist but very narrow legs. One last issue I have is that the material does not hold up. some of the 501's I bought in recent months rip after wearing them just a few times, some of the buttons come apart.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not department store jeans., September 2, 2009
I normally buy my husband's 501's at the mall but went this route because I was short on time. HUGE mistake. The material is totally different than any pair he owns and there are a lot of little differences that make me think these are knock offs. These jeans went straight to the work jeans pile because they are just weird in fit, color everything. They were also not much cheaper than I would have paid from a real retailer. I will not buy 501's again unless they are from trusted chain retail store.

1.0 out of 5 stars Would give negative stars if able..., December 3, 2011
This review is from: Levi's Men's 501 Original Fit Jean (Apparel)
Paper thin fabric will not last anywhere near the 501s of yesteryear. Fit is unreliable. Feel is very disappointing. Will not buy again until Levis goes back to the old denim material. Absolutely disgusted!

1.0 out of 5 stars Levis offshore garbage, March 3, 2012
This review is from: Levi's Men's 501 Original Fit Jean (Apparel)
I wore Levis back when they were an American made quality product. When they offshored, I jettisoned my biz and am currently buying Unionline. Well, I was curious after these many years what had become of Levis - this once iconic American brand. I ordered a pair of 501s only to find what I had anticipated: build quality was crap (the stitching looks like third graders did it with a knitting needle (actually, that's probably not far from the truth)), material was thin and reminded me of the cheapos that typically end up on clearance racks), the fit after one wash was absurd. One leg tighter and shorter than the other? Seriously?

Levis - I left you years ago - and for good reason; your product is absolute, unmitigated crap.

1.0 out of 5 stars New material, January 11, 2009
If I had wanted blue burlap sack, I would have looked for it. Levi now thinks they can flog off any material on their customer. The last time I ordered these levis I got something in stripes that looked like I was escaped from prison. Now it is burlap! I will never order anything from Levi again until they come back to the original levi material. What complete junk. This product sucks.

Levi's Men's 501 Original Fit Jean