3,389 Reviews
 (1,768)

5.0 out of 5 stars free alterations
They were a little slow getting the order out, but I think that was caused by a delay from Levi's. They definitely went the extra mile and altered the jeans to my husbands length at no charge. Customer service was very friendly and helpful. I will definitely order from them again.
Published on January 5, 2004 by Pen Name

1.0 out of 5 stars Beware Levi's Change to the 505 Jeans
I have worn Levi's 505 Jeans for 25 years. I even have a box of "34's" in the attic for when I lose a couple of pounds.

I just sent back 2 new pairs of these jeans because they no longer fit as the other pairs I own. I called Levi's to find out why.

Published on April 17, 2011 by John In PA

1.0 out of 5 stars Beware Levi's Change to the 505 Jeans, April 17, 2011
This review is from: Levi's Men's 505 Regular Fit Jean (Apparel)

I was told that they changed the fit several months ago, without changing the numeral designation. 505's are now only made as "Straight Fit" rather than "Regular Fit". In addition, they have lowered the "Rise" to a "below the waist" fit, rather than the old "at the waist" fit.

Sorry Levi's, you can't do that without losing long-term customers. How can you change something as basic and important as fit, but still call it the same thing?Levi's Mens 505 Straight Fit Jean

3.0 out of 5 stars Size advice, March 10, 2006
While much of the negative commentary concerned Levi Strauss's move away from domestic manufacturing has focused on the button-fly 501s, the bigger problem I have seen is with the old 1970's standby, the 505, which has a zipper as opposed to button fly. The variability on sizing and sew quality with the 505s is an issue if you are going to buy them online or mail order. You really have to try them on to see how they fit. The 501 are much easier to buy online or by mail order because the sizing is much less critical on the waist, which is the so-called "anti-fit" waist, meaning there is no curve to the rise (the distance between the crotch and the top of the waist), because the original 501s were merely cut down bib overalls which were made to hang, rather than be fitted to the waist. The biggest problem I have noted on the 505's is the variability in size in the thigh area, meaning that some fit baggy and some seem rather tight, even though they are theoretically the same size of a label. Since the 501s are more forgiving as far as sizing, if you are buying online you might consider them instead of 505s, unless you don't want the button fly.

1.0 out of 5 stars 505s in Name Only - Levi's Has Ruined This Old Favorite, June 7, 2011
B. Seeds (Milwaukee, WI USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Levi's Men's 505 Regular Fit Jean (Apparel)
I've been happily buying and wearing 505 Regular Fit jeans for many, many years. I did not notice before submitting my most recent order that Regular Fit has been replaced by Straight Fit. But, boy, did I notice a change once they arrived. These aren't the same jeans at all. The fabric is less substantial and - most disheartening to me - the rise is a good inch lower than it used to be. That is, the waistband sits lower on the hips. They feel wrong to me, like I need to pull them up all the time. And they feel cheap. I can't wear them.

In my opinion, Levi's should have been more forthright about this change. This new jean should have received its own new model number and they should have retired the 505 number entirely. Because these are not, in any manner that's important to me, anyway, 505s.

Now I have to find another brand of jean whose waistband sits up at my waist where I like it. What a hassle. So very disappointing.

Levi's, you screwed up.

1.0 out of 5 stars Levi 505's not the real 505's any more. DON'T BUY!!!, April 24, 2011
This review is from: Levi's Men's 505 Regular Fit Jean (Apparel)
I've been wearing Levi 505's exclusively since the early 70's. They fit me perfect. I could just walk into a store and pick up my size and buy without trying them on. Best jeans around.

Well not any more! Without any notice they have changed the "Regular fit" 505's to "Straight fit" jeans which means they are no longer 505's at all. The waist is larger, the crotch is higher and you must now wear them down on your hips as kid do with their jeans. These are no longer meant for adults or anyone who wants pants that fit properly. I also don't like 550 relaxed jeans as they are too baggy.

I'll be looking for a different brand and returning the two pair I just bought. Hopefully Levi will lose enough faithful customers to make them rethink this rude abandonment of loyal customers.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not enough belt loops!, June 18, 2006
Mark Albert (Herndon, VA United States) - See all my reviews
For as far back as I can remember, I have been a loyal Levi Strauss customer. I never understood why anyone would buy blue jeans from anyone else, but today I am questioning that loyalty.

As a result of some successful changes in my diet, my old blue jeans have become too large for me, so I purchased 2 new pairs of 505 jeans and a new pair of 505 shorts. I have noticed myself hitching up my newer, snugger jeans more often than my older, looser jeans. This afternoon, I specifically noticed that my shorts kept slipping under my belt--as though they didn't have enough belt loops.

This evening I compared my new jeans with my old jeans, and lo and behold, I discovered that Levis have gone from 7 belt loops to 5. Five belt loops aren't enough.

The other posts I have seen about this product are focused on globalization-related issues. I, too, hate to see American jobs move overseas, but this particular problem has nothing to do with country of origin. Regardless of where the jeans were manufactured, Levi Strauss has cheapened the design specification, and they seem to be waiting to see if anyone notices.

Dear Levi Strauss:

I noticed. Your product is not as good as it used to be.

I can't remember being this upset about a product change since the introduction of "New Coke." I don't drink much Coca Cola any more. (That may be part of the reason I need smaller jeans!)

Please put back the missing belt loops.

1.0 out of 5 stars 505's are now "low-riders" !!!, March 11, 2011
This review is from: Levi's Men's 505 Regular Fit Jean (Apparel)
The following is an exchange I had with Levi Strauss recently ....

You removed about 3/4" of material from
between the top of the waist and the crouch on the men's 505 "Regular Fit"
jeans and you double labeled and re-labeled them "straight fit"..(you have
both labels on them!!! - very misleading!!!)... and now they ride much lower
on my waist and I can't keep them up... or when I pull them up they choke my
crouch!!! I've purchased Levi Brand for over 50 years and I never try them on
and due to past consistancy, I have them hemmed 1" because I'm an in-between
size (I buy 38-32)... so now I'm stuck with two-pair of Jeans I can't return
(To Sears) and won't be able to wear! Also, I've looked for some of the "old
regular's" but can't find them on the shelf any more. I also checked on the
Internet and a lot of people are complaining about this same problem. The
difference in the height of the waistband is clearly visable when you lay an
old pair beside a new pair; in the amount of material under the belt loops...
and is obvious where the bottom of the belt loops are now attached. And while
I'm at it, the bottom of two belt loops (the ones on either side of the rear
middle loop) pulled loose on the last four pair that I purchased (I now have
them pinned). Would you like photos? Folks, your quality and design is in
real trouble! What are you going to do for me??? Or should I just start
trying on other brands?

Hi Richard,
Barbara here from Levi's®. Thanks for checking in with us.
The 505® style has been updated recently so that the waist and hips are straighter and the rise is slightly shorter. Now the fit is designed to sit lower on the hip. This means you will probably need to order a smaller waist size to get the same fit you have had in the past. If you choose to return your 505® jeans to our Consumer Returns Department, the inspector will exchange your jeans for the next waist size smaller. Levi Strauss & Co. updates many of our products from time to time to keep the line fresh and fashionable, based on demand from consumers and our retail partners.
If there's anything else we can help you with, be sure to email us back or give us a call at 1-800-USA-LEVI Monday - Friday from 6:00am - 4:30pm Pacific Time.
Thanks again, Barbara, Levi Strauss & Co., Consumer Relations, Case ID: 3747730

Hi Barbara, ... thanks for the personal response. I have a high waist line, so a smaller waist size won't answer my problem. Are you sure you can't get me some of the "regular fit" jeans??? I can't imagine that Levi Strauss changed these Jeans because "customers" or "retailers" were asking for a lower waist line! I believe it was a "cost cutting measure". Now people are walking around "holding up" their jeans with one hand and others are walking around with what is called "muffin tops" .... Is this what what you call fashionable? I believe Levi Strauss need to do a "try both pairs on survey" and see what the results are. It's okay to introduce a new line, but why not "also" keep the "old reliable line" (and charge the customers a few bucks more if necessary). I disagree with replacing a "proven" product when it hasn't lost it's popularity yet! As the old saying goes, "if it ain't broke, don't try to fix it"! I believe Levi Strauss has made a serious mistake here, especially with how fast news spreads on the Internet. I guess I'll just have to take look at other brands. Richard Kramer (a very unhappy customer now)

Hello again Richard,
Unfortunately, we cannot offer any products we no longer manufacture therefore we do not have access in sending "regular fit " men's 505 jeans to you.
We are sorry to hear about your experience. We take great pride in our company, our products and the loyalty of our consumers. We take your feedback very seriously and assure you that your comments will be passed along to the appropriate management. Esmeralda, Levi Strauss & Co,Consumer Relations,Case ID: 3747730

1.0 out of 5 stars Junk, May 21, 2008
ccbaxter47 (Los Angeles, CA USA) - See all my reviews
I bought three pairs of 505s at the same time from the same buyer. The first two pairs (one "Made in Egypt", the other "Made in Bangladesh") have worn just fine (so far), but the third pair ("Made in Lesotho") RIPPED on only the SECOND day I ever wore them, starting from just above and to the left of the back-right pocket and tearing straight down, almost to my crotch...BETWEEN the center seam and the right-side pocket stitching (NOT on a seam or a stitch!). They just ripped open--period--as I sat down. I didn't poke against anything, or rub against anything, and they weren't too tight--they just plain up and ripped open on their own...and while I was at work! Piece of junk! I've been buying and wearing Levi's 505s for 25 years, and I may not be able to prove or explain exactly how I know these jeans aren't "the same" as they were even a few years ago...but I just KNOW, in my heart, that they are NOT the same quality. Now, I'm doomed for eternity to constantly checking the back of my other two pairs of jeans every time I wear them to make sure there isn't another big rip in them. This was absolutely the last pair of Levi's I will ever buy. EVER!

3.0 out of 5 stars WARNING: The new Straight Fit does NOT equal the old Regular Fit, January 20, 2011
Chris "xvp85" (The Keystone State) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Levi's Men's 505 Regular Fit Jean (Apparel)
I am a Levi's 505 customer of 25+ years and like an earlier reviewer, I was always gratified to be able to buy these jeans either online or in a store, sight unseen, confident that the color and fit would always remain the same. But these have apparently been recently redesigned in some subtle ways.

I just bought my first pair in at least two or three years. First, they are now marked as "Straight Fit" (notice the tag inside the waist on the back) and not "Regular Fit" as they always used to be. You'll also notice that while the inseam is completely comparable, the color is a little duller - and the new Straight Fit now sits AT LEAST AN INCH LOWER ON THE WAIST than the old Regular Fit. I tried on a couple of pairs and found this to be consistently the case. (I also tried on 501 Straight Fit for comparison, and noticed the same thing.)

I suppose that Levi's is trying to increase its appeal to the adolescent demographic (which obviously prefers the lower rise, for reasons that escape me). Well, I'm 40 and I don't wish to dress like a teenager. So this is a very undesirable development. Thankfully I'm physically fit and could still wear the Straight Fit, even with its slightly lower rise - but I don't like where this is heading. Caveat emptor.

Customer Note: The original Regular Fit style is still available in stores, mixed in with the Straight Fits (I was fortunate to find three such pairs at my local Sears last night, and bought them all), so this is apparently a fairly recent development.

It's easy to tell the two apart: In addition to checking the inside back label (Regular Fit, vs. Straight Fit), you can check the manufacturer tags and plastic sizing stickers on each pair, which will also say either "Regular Fit" or "Straight Fit". So if you're partial to the old Regular Fit, your best bet now appears to be to actually go to a store and find them on the shelf while they are still available.

2.0 out of 5 stars Levi's incredible shrinking crotch, December 19, 2010
Andrew Sigal (Oakland, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Levi's Men's 505 Regular Fit Jean (Apparel)
I've been wearing Levi's 505 jeans for more years than I care to admit. About a year ago I needed more new jeans so I ordered a couple pairs. They didn't fit quite exactly the way I expected them to, but they were okay. Last month there was this great sale on Levi's jeans (on levis.com), so I bought a couple more pairs. These new pairs really didn't fit - they were the correct length and waist size, but they were too long and didnt feel right. I wear 36/30. I've been wearing Levi's 505's in size 36/30 for years and years. So when I ordered a couple 36/30, and they didn't fit, I was pretty surprised.

I called Levi's and asked about it. They said that they might shrink in the wash and that they would take them back for a full refund even if they had been washed. So I washed them. Several times. Though they did get shorter, they were still not short enough. And they didn't quite fit right in the crotch. So I held them up to my old jeans - they matched perfectly. I couldn't find any difference at all, and yet they didn't fit. Well, I can't leave a mystery like that alone. So I laid them down on the bed, got out a tape measure, and I measured. I measured everything I could find, but nothing was significantly different from new to old. Then I flipped them over. Ah Ha! I found that the new jeans were a full inch shorter in what is called the "back center seam" than the jeans I had bought just a year ago. This was the case on both pairs I had just purchased, even though the two new pairs were different colors and cloth weights. I then dug out a pair of 505's from several years ago and found that the "back center seam" on that pair was 2 inches longer than the new pairs and 1 inch longer than the pairs I'd gotten a year ago. That explains why the ones I had bought a year ago weren't quite right, but were okay, while the newest pairs, being of full 2 inches shorter in the back crotch really didn't fit right at all. As for leg lenth, since the inseam is supposed to be the length from the floor to the crotch, a shorter back center seam shouldnt have any effect, however, I can only guess that the short crotch was causing me to wear the jeans lower than I prefer, which somehow changed the effective the leg length. Because I wanted the legs shorter, I had to pull the pants up until they were binding in the crotch (does this make sense - not sure?) In any case, they didnt feel right in the crotch and they were too long.

This is disappointing for a number of reasons. First of all having jeans that I could simply purchase sight unseen, pair after pair after pair, is incredibly convenient. But it's also disappointing because psychologically I think of Levi's is something unchanging. Levi's are Levi's. Coca-Cola, aside from their momentary lapse of reason with new Coke, is Coca-Cola. Etc. I dont want Levi's 505's to change. But strangely, the biggest problem for me with this change is related to the fact that Levi's numbers their jeans styles. If they are going to change the measurements and design of the 505, they should call it the 506. Or the 505b. Or the 505 v2. Or something. If they were always called simply the "regular straight fit jean," it wouldn't be as big a deal to change it as it is when the product is called "505." To me, psychologically, 505's are 505's are 505's - if they're going to change them, they need to start calling them 506's.

So I'm sending my Levi's 505's back. I have no idea what I will buy in their place.

1.0 out of 5 stars Redesigned to fit poorly, November 20, 2011
Cortni Frecha (Stow, MA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Levi's Men's 505 Regular Fit Jean (Apparel)
I have purchased Levi's 505 Regular Fit for 35 years. Much to my dismay, the most recent purchase I made turned out to be the newly improved Straight Fit. I couldn't figure out why they kept falling down. When I called Levi's said they would replace the pair I bought with a pair a waist size smaller. They seem to think if my pants are tighter it will keep them from falling off. Since I work in these jeans, moving around constantly, I like some ease of movement within the garment.

The redesign from Regular Fit to Straight Fit consists of shortening the rise from the top of the inseam to the waistband. I think it might be shortened as much as 2 or 2.5 inches. This makes it so the pants no longer sit at the waist, slightly above the hip bone which used to keep them from falling off.

I am very disappointed in the new pants.

My rating is really 0 stars.

Levi's Men's 505 Regular Fit Jean