1,256 Reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Like low rise 501's....
Published on October 9, 2009 by Mike

3.0 out of 5 stars The good and the bad
The first thing you should know is that the fit varies by wash. The tumbled rigid is significantly tighter than the carbon.

Published on December 9, 2009 by Gladhands

5.0 out of 5 stars Like low rise 501's...., October 9, 2009
Mike "mike463" (Georgia United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Levi's Men's 514 Straight Jean (Apparel)
...without the buttons. If you're looking to bolster your jean wardrobe with some slimmer fit low rise styles but afraid you're gonna come off looking like some Goth-punk rock-star wannabe who's so skinny they disappear when turning sideways ...relax ...those would be the "Skinny Fit" 517's not these. **Since this review was written the 517 is defunct, replaced by the Levis 511 Skinny and 510 super skinny fit jeans.** And if you're looking for some jeans that *don't* have "Relaxed", "Loose" or "Baggy" as part of their style moniker then these are the ones to get.

I would call these "sensibly-stylish-low-rise-jeans-for-the-more-mature-taste-crowd" ..."mature" in this case definitely *not* referring to beer belly and severe love handle embellished body types; consider these a goal for that weight loss or exercise program. They are also not the strict domain of the anorexic male model body type either; regular, non-gut bearing guys in halfway decent condition can wear these no problemo ...and look good. The waist sits lower than regular fit jeans but not radically so, they're sort of a mid rise ...no one's gonna be graced with viewing your choice of undergear or given a rendition of SNL's "Norge Man" routine when you bend over.

No matter your views regarding the modern day Levi Strauss Company, they *do* know how to make blue jeans that fit, are stylish and reasonably priced; the quality is still there. The 514's are called "Slim Straight fit" ...forget the "slim" part of it; they fit like Levi's 501's in the seat, thigh and legs with the leg openings the same size as 501's."Straight" refers to the fact the legs are not tapered. I purchased a pair of 501's at the same time I bought the two pair of 514's so I had real time comparisons. The crotch on the 514 feels slightly higher than the 501's, but nothing radical or uncomfortable, and the cut of the jeans does help flatter the male anatomy ...your results may vary. If ya look good in 501's you'll probably look just as good, maybe better, in 514's.

Sizing of the jeans is a bit different; my usual 33x32 501 size translated into a 33x30 for the 514's because they sit lower ...more on the hips than waist. Shrinkage was not a problem in the waist (these were pre-washed) and the legs shrunk just a bit making them perfect in length for my taste. The only thing making these jeans better would be knowing they were proudly made here in the US of A ...like they used to be. My 514's were made in Egypt and Bangladesh ...hooray for the global economy. Okay, so much for the soapbox.

Do not fear the 514. In short, they fit great, feel comfortable and look good. Just like 501's without buttons.

3.0 out of 5 stars The good and the bad, December 9, 2009
This review is from: Levi's Men's 514 Straight Jean (Apparel)

If you have athletic thighs/glutes, these may not be for you. I'm 6'5" with a (less muscled) NBA-type build, so these aren't the complaints of a stocky muscle-head or a fat man trying to squeeze himself into skinny jeans. The rise is pretty low, so if you have a "high" butt, your crack or underwear will show. Pulling them up a little higher to compensate may put your "work" on full display. This isn't as much or a problem with the carbon (which I love)as it is with the tumbled rigid. Both washes may be a little tight in the front, so modesty may dictate a little creative tucking at first, but they will loosen up over time.

Overall, I recommend them, however caveat emptor.

5.0 out of 5 stars Levi's 514 Slim Straight Jeans, February 12, 2010
Tim (SUSANVILLE, CA, US) - See all my reviews
I have recently found these Levi's jeans and really appreciate the style, the economy, the flexibility of how I can wear dress-shirts with them to the office or wear them with a nice t-shirt on a weekend or out for coffee or such. I have an athletic build with narrow hips and more muscular legs so it has always been a pain to find jeans that fit the hips/waist/legs, but these do! These jeans ride lower on the hips and have a cut that accomodates developed legs, and they do fit well if you have a smaller butt. The jeans are a bit snug in the crotch so I went up one inch in the waist to allow for a more comfortable fit there, and with a sharp belt the fit in the waist is still excellent, without a belt they still fit well. My girl really likes the way they fit me too! These jeans are also cut from a durable weight of fabric but not too heavy to detract from the style. Good jeans, Levi's got it right with these!

4.0 out of 5 stars My favorite jeans..., June 30, 2009
This review is from: Levi's Men's 514 Straight Jean (Apparel)
These fit well, and unlike a lot of comparable jeans, they don't tend to retreat down the back of your derriere when you squat down. The only real detriment on these is that while they fit a skinny guy well, they don't really leave much room for... *ahem*... anything you might be carrying up front... If you need to carry a larger amount up front, you might find it cramped quarters in that regard. Otherwise, these possess the normal quality and durability you have come to expect from Levis. Recommended, barring the one caveat I mentioned.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow..., January 25, 2012
Sara W. (Colorado, USA) - See all my reviews
Took a chance on ordering some more stylish-looking jeans for my husband (I can't get him into a store - he hates shopping), and these are just fabulous! Highly recommended, and don't worry - the sizing is generous/reasonable. I was a bit worried, because sometimes Levi's jeans don't fit all too well (at least on me), but these are just amazing - a must try item, in my opinion. The wash (Overhaul) was just perfect - a teensy bit of slight fading, but without looking too distressed, blingy or "trying too hard." Very stylish and still classy. These look like expensive designer jeans, and are extremely flattering on. My husband looks like a million bucks in these jeans, and I'm so glad I ordered them.

These jeans will look good on if you're 17 or 79, if you're on the slim side or on the plump side - doesn't matter - these are the jeans you want to get. I'll definitely be ordering more.

In terms of fit/sizing - I will say that you can comfortably go with your "size" without worrying that these will be too small. If anything, they are a little bit more generously sized than other brands, but this does *not* mean they look baggy or outdated. They are slim fitting but without being too small. Hard to explain - but the cut of these jeans are very fashion-forward, and yet you're not dealing with baggy pants or super skinny pants. They're just perfect.

Must-get jeans, and they will work for any size, any age. Super stylish, not too skinny and not too loose.

I've been buying stuff online from Amazon for years, and these jeans are so good that I'm actually writing a review. Really good service from Amazon, and these jeans are just fabulous - I'd highly recommend them to just about everyone - no matter what your size or age - they're that good. Bonus points for being able to order the inseam you want instead of dealing with designer jeans that are too long and have to be professionally hemmed.

Definitely try them. Will work for just about everyone - they aren't too baggy and they aren't too skinny - but still super-stylish looking. They aren't too "blingy" either. Just fabulous actually, and it doesn't matter if you're a college student or a retiree, if you're slim or or not-so-slim - they look great. Not sure about the difference between all the various washes available, but the Overhaul wash is a good one, if you're going to try these.

1.0 out of 5 stars Warning- read before ordering Indigo Wash!, November 29, 2011
M. Bayless (Arlington, VA USA) - See all my reviews
I order a pair of the Indigo Wash on Oct. 10 and noticed a problem with them on Nov. 27. There are small holes developing in several locations in the seat of the jean after maybe five uses! I have not been rough in the least with these pants. I contacted Amazon (Nov. 29) and they said I could not return them as they are past the 30 day window from when I originally placed my order. Amazon said I must contact Levi Strauss (thanks for the great return policy) so I did. The customer assistant was polite and helped in a way. To return these to Levi Strauss I must pay for shipping which I will not be reimbursed for (even if found to defective!) and if a Levi's specialist "determines" that indeed may pair of 514's is defective they will replace them- the process takes between 6-8 business weeks!!! The funny thing is I bought these because it had been years since I'd worn Levis and thought I give them a try plus the price was very nice at around $35.00. Well I guess I will find out in a few months whether or not these are a good value- seriously 6-8 business weeks!!! Thank you Amazon and Levis.

Update 12/12********************************

I spoke with an Amazon rep again regarding the jeans and they allowed me to return the jeans and fully refunded my money- I picked up the shipping though. Thank you Amazon!

I should note that I do have another pair of the 514 (Dirty Ridged) and they are great but the denim is not as soft as the Indigo Wash.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for the slender guy with a small tush, January 24, 2010
P. Cannon (Big Pine Key, Florida United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
I've bought dozens of jeans for my husband and they are all too baggy. All the jeans today are just big all over. He is a small frame guy and needs a slender fit especially through the legs and rear. He always wore Levi's in the 70's and they fit like a glove but now you just can't find that fit anywhere. These are as close to that as you will find. Not quite as slim fitting as the ones you wore in the 70's but pretty close. They don't look like he is swimming in them and they are not so peg legged his feet look like boats. He really likes them and will be ordering more. We bought the overhaul color and they washed great didn't fade at all or shrink. If you are a guy with skinny legs and no butt these will look great on you!

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice!, May 21, 2009
Steven Upright (new york city, NY United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Levi's Men's 514 Straight Jean (Apparel)
These jeans look great-fit well and a very good price. Not freakishly rock star low cut-but not grandpa jeans either. These are juuuuuuust right (provided you like slim fit and not baggy)

1.0 out of 5 stars Very Cheap, November 6, 2012
We are very disappointed with Levis and these jeans. These are so thin and cheap. I have buying my husband good old fashion 512's that are truly slim cut, and heavy denim, and always fit. They quit making the 512's and we need to find something else.These are horrible. If you need these for work, don't buy them!
Levis were always the workman's jeans, not any more. We'll start shopping other brands.

1.0 out of 5 stars Ripped in half within 2 weeks, January 15, 2012
This review is from: Levi's Men's 514 Straight Jean (Apparel)
Bought these around New Years, and it is now Jan 15th. I wore them to class, and when dismounting my bike, felt a slight tear in the crotch. I was not about to ride all the way home to change, and by the end of the day there was about a foot long tear from the belt area, along the zipper, and down the seam. Pretty embarrassing, and there is no return on these.

I used to own a pair of Levi's in the past and they were much more durable than this crap. I loved how they fit, and I do have strong thighs, as I hike a lot. But to have these just tear from getting off of a bike, was ridiculous. Very disappointing, I will never waste my time and money again with these. Yea they look good, but unless you plan on walking around with hardly and range of motion, then look elsewhere. These would never work for a guy with strong thighs working in the trades, constantly bending down, crawling around, whatever. Kiss your knee area goodbye. I would pass on these, unless you have thinner legs, and don't really do much except sit around and walk like you have a strap around your upper legs.

Edit: If anyone knows of a more durable brand, that fits just like these, I would love to hear about it. I liked the fit, don't get me wrong, but this Cambodian material isn't for guys with large quads.

Levi's Men's 514 Straight Jean