Industrial-Sized Deals Books Holiday Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Adele egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty Deals Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer minions minions minions  Amazon Echo Starting at $84.99 Kindle Black Friday Deals TheGoodDinosaur Shop Now HTL

on October 9, 2009
...without the buttons. If you're looking to bolster your jean wardrobe with some slimmer fit low rise styles but afraid you're gonna come off looking like some Goth-punk rock-star wannabe who's so skinny they disappear when turning sideways ...relax ...those would be the "Skinny Fit" 517's not these. **Since this review was written the 517 is defunct, replaced by the Levis 511 Skinny and 510 super skinny fit jeans.** And if you're looking for some jeans that *don't* have "Relaxed", "Loose" or "Baggy" as part of their style moniker then these are the ones to get.

I would call these "sensibly-stylish-low-rise-jeans-for-the-more-mature-taste-crowd" ..."mature" in this case definitely *not* referring to beer belly and severe love handle embellished body types; consider these a goal for that weight loss or exercise program. They are also not the strict domain of the anorexic male model body type either; regular, non-gut bearing guys in halfway decent condition can wear these no problemo ...and look good. The waist sits lower than regular fit jeans but not radically so, they're sort of a mid rise one's gonna be graced with viewing your choice of undergear or given a rendition of SNL's "Norge Man" routine when you bend over.

No matter your views regarding the modern day Levi Strauss Company, they *do* know how to make blue jeans that fit, are stylish and reasonably priced; the quality is still there. The 514's are called "Slim Straight fit" ...forget the "slim" part of it; they fit like Levi's 501's in the seat, thigh and legs with the leg openings the same size as 501's."Straight" refers to the fact the legs are not tapered. I purchased a pair of 501's at the same time I bought the two pair of 514's so I had real time comparisons. The crotch on the 514 feels slightly higher than the 501's, but nothing radical or uncomfortable, and the cut of the jeans does help flatter the male anatomy ...your results may vary. If ya look good in 501's you'll probably look just as good, maybe better, in 514's.

Sizing of the jeans is a bit different; my usual 33x32 501 size translated into a 33x30 for the 514's because they sit lower ...more on the hips than waist. Shrinkage was not a problem in the waist (these were pre-washed) and the legs shrunk just a bit making them perfect in length for my taste. The only thing making these jeans better would be knowing they were proudly made here in the US of A they used to be. My 514's were made in Egypt and Bangladesh ...hooray for the global economy. Okay, so much for the soapbox.

Do not fear the 514. In short, they fit great, feel comfortable and look good. Just like 501's without buttons.
1010 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 9, 2009
The first thing you should know is that the fit varies by wash. The tumbled rigid is significantly tighter than the carbon.

If you have athletic thighs/glutes, these may not be for you. I'm 6'5" with a (less muscled) NBA-type build, so these aren't the complaints of a stocky muscle-head or a fat man trying to squeeze himself into skinny jeans. The rise is pretty low, so if you have a "high" butt, your crack or underwear will show. Pulling them up a little higher to compensate may put your "work" on full display. This isn't as much or a problem with the carbon (which I love)as it is with the tumbled rigid. Both washes may be a little tight in the front, so modesty may dictate a little creative tucking at first, but they will loosen up over time.

Overall, I recommend them, however caveat emptor.
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 25, 2012
Took a chance on ordering some more stylish-looking jeans for my husband (I can't get him into a store - he hates shopping), and these are just fabulous! Highly recommended, and don't worry - the sizing is generous/reasonable. I was a bit worried, because sometimes Levi's jeans don't fit all too well (at least on me), but these are just amazing - a must try item, in my opinion. The wash (Overhaul) was just perfect - a teensy bit of slight fading, but without looking too distressed, blingy or "trying too hard." Very stylish and still classy. These look like expensive designer jeans, and are extremely flattering on. My husband looks like a million bucks in these jeans, and I'm so glad I ordered them.

These jeans will look good on if you're 17 or 79, if you're on the slim side or on the plump side - doesn't matter - these are the jeans you want to get. I'll definitely be ordering more.

In terms of fit/sizing - I will say that you can comfortably go with your "size" without worrying that these will be too small. If anything, they are a little bit more generously sized than other brands, but this does *not* mean they look baggy or outdated. They are slim fitting but without being too small. Hard to explain - but the cut of these jeans are very fashion-forward, and yet you're not dealing with baggy pants or super skinny pants. They're just perfect.

Must-get jeans, and they will work for any size, any age. Super stylish, not too skinny and not too loose.

I've been buying stuff online from Amazon for years, and these jeans are so good that I'm actually writing a review. Really good service from Amazon, and these jeans are just fabulous - I'd highly recommend them to just about everyone - no matter what your size or age - they're that good. Bonus points for being able to order the inseam you want instead of dealing with designer jeans that are too long and have to be professionally hemmed.

Definitely try them. Will work for just about everyone - they aren't too baggy and they aren't too skinny - but still super-stylish looking. They aren't too "blingy" either. Just fabulous actually, and it doesn't matter if you're a college student or a retiree, if you're slim or or not-so-slim - they look great. Not sure about the difference between all the various washes available, but the Overhaul wash is a good one, if you're going to try these.
on February 12, 2010
I have recently found these Levi's jeans and really appreciate the style, the economy, the flexibility of how I can wear dress-shirts with them to the office or wear them with a nice t-shirt on a weekend or out for coffee or such. I have an athletic build with narrow hips and more muscular legs so it has always been a pain to find jeans that fit the hips/waist/legs, but these do! These jeans ride lower on the hips and have a cut that accomodates developed legs, and they do fit well if you have a smaller butt. The jeans are a bit snug in the crotch so I went up one inch in the waist to allow for a more comfortable fit there, and with a sharp belt the fit in the waist is still excellent, without a belt they still fit well. My girl really likes the way they fit me too! These jeans are also cut from a durable weight of fabric but not too heavy to detract from the style. Good jeans, Levi's got it right with these!
on November 24, 2014
Good evening, this day received in Venezuela bought levi`s jeans , and even if the requested size was the jeans is very large, jeans compare with another of the same model and the difference is great.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 25, 2015
6' 5"
200 lbs
Long legs and slim but I would never fit skinny or even regular leg jeans.
34 X 36 - Agraba
It's hard to find jeans that fit well due to my leg length and thickness so I tend to buy many different versions of the same style of jeans.

I like my jeans to fit fairly snug without being overly tight or looking like I'm trying to impersonate Prince. These jeans fit comfortably and look amazing, plus they minimize my male version of J-Lo's butt. They're also better at hiding the front bulge than the non-stretchy Levi 514's (the other 514's look obscene with a tucked in dress shirt at work). I have around 8 Levi 514's and these are the best. The others fit okay but they have a low rise that can expose crack when bending over, if shirtless.

As I eluded to earlier, for whatever reason, Levi's makes 2 completely different styles of 514's. These are the stretchy, more comfortable, better fitting jeans, in my opinion. The other 514's have less give, and as a result, drop lower when you bend down. I find that uncomfortable, even when I'm wearing a shirt (which is 99% of the time). It's a minor annoyance but I would trade all my other 514's in and replace them with this style if I could.

Great for long legs, thick legs that don't fit in regular jeans, and so on. I strongly recommend them. However, if you have thicker legs and aren't a fan of snug fitting jeans, I'd advise you to look elsewhere. Everyone has a different idea of what "snug fit" means so I included a picture to help.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 3, 2014
Fits perfect and a great price through Amazon.
review image
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 22, 2014
waist meets expectations SIZE 33 long stay short is not really 32, I had high expectations but is completely disillusioned because this model does not fit me.
Not a Straight Jean seems rather a step boot cut is made in bangladesh
on June 30, 2009
These fit well, and unlike a lot of comparable jeans, they don't tend to retreat down the back of your derriere when you squat down. The only real detriment on these is that while they fit a skinny guy well, they don't really leave much room for... *ahem*... anything you might be carrying up front... If you need to carry a larger amount up front, you might find it cramped quarters in that regard. Otherwise, these possess the normal quality and durability you have come to expect from Levis. Recommended, barring the one caveat I mentioned.
99 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 6, 2012
I bought a pair of 514s from a Levi's store last year, and they have served me well. When it came time to replace a different pair of jeans, I ordered through Amazon, thinking they were the same thing. Wrong. The fabric is significantly lighter, the brand tag on he back looked like a knockoff, and overall the jeans felt significantly cheaper in quality compared to what I already had. The fit was the same, so I presume they're real, but is Amazon selling the Wal-mart version of these jeans or something? I checked the Levi's store, and the ones in store right now are the same weight and thickness as the jeans I bought last year, so it's not a universal issue with Levi's, only with what Amazon is selling. And with sales, you can get pretty close to the Amazon price. $40 on Amazon for jeans that won't last six months, or $50 in-store for something that should last at least a few years (current jeans are a year and a half old, no problems with them yet). For me, it was a no brainier. I returned them.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse