Automotive Deals BOTYSFKT Shop Women's Clothing Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Segway miniPro

on October 9, 2009
...without the buttons. If you're looking to bolster your jean wardrobe with some slimmer fit low rise styles but afraid you're gonna come off looking like some Goth-punk rock-star wannabe who's so skinny they disappear when turning sideways ...relax ...those would be the "Skinny Fit" 517's not these. **Since this review was written the 517 is defunct, replaced by the Levis 511 Skinny and 510 super skinny fit jeans.** And if you're looking for some jeans that *don't* have "Relaxed", "Loose" or "Baggy" as part of their style moniker then these are the ones to get.

I would call these "sensibly-stylish-low-rise-jeans-for-the-more-mature-taste-crowd" ..."mature" in this case definitely *not* referring to beer belly and severe love handle embellished body types; consider these a goal for that weight loss or exercise program. They are also not the strict domain of the anorexic male model body type either; regular, non-gut bearing guys in halfway decent condition can wear these no problemo ...and look good. The waist sits lower than regular fit jeans but not radically so, they're sort of a mid rise ...no one's gonna be graced with viewing your choice of undergear or given a rendition of SNL's "Norge Man" routine when you bend over.

No matter your views regarding the modern day Levi Strauss Company, they *do* know how to make blue jeans that fit, are stylish and reasonably priced; the quality is still there. The 514's are called "Slim Straight fit" ...forget the "slim" part of it; they fit like Levi's 501's in the seat, thigh and legs with the leg openings the same size as 501's."Straight" refers to the fact the legs are not tapered. I purchased a pair of 501's at the same time I bought the two pair of 514's so I had real time comparisons. The crotch on the 514 feels slightly higher than the 501's, but nothing radical or uncomfortable, and the cut of the jeans does help flatter the male anatomy ...your results may vary. If ya look good in 501's you'll probably look just as good, maybe better, in 514's.

Sizing of the jeans is a bit different; my usual 33x32 501 size translated into a 33x30 for the 514's because they sit lower ...more on the hips than waist. Shrinkage was not a problem in the waist (these were pre-washed) and the legs shrunk just a bit making them perfect in length for my taste. The only thing making these jeans better would be knowing they were proudly made here in the US of A ...like they used to be. My 514's were made in Egypt and Bangladesh ...hooray for the global economy. Okay, so much for the soapbox.

Do not fear the 514. In short, they fit great, feel comfortable and look good. Just like 501's without buttons.
1515 comments| 501 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 25, 2015
6' 5"
200 lbs
Long legs and slim but I would never fit skinny or even regular leg jeans.
34 X 36 - Agraba
It's hard to find jeans that fit well due to my leg length and thickness so I tend to buy many different versions of the same style of jeans.

I like my jeans to fit fairly snug without being overly tight or looking like I'm trying to impersonate Prince. These jeans fit comfortably and look amazing, plus they minimize my male version of J-Lo's butt. They're also better at hiding the front bulge than the non-stretchy Levi 514's (the other 514's look obscene with a tucked in dress shirt at work). I have around 8 Levi 514's and these are the best. The others fit okay but they have a low rise that can expose crack when bending over, if shirtless.

As I eluded to earlier, for whatever reason, Levi's makes 2 completely different styles of 514's. These are the less rigid, more comfortable, better fitting jeans, in my opinion. The other 514's have less give, and as a result, drop lower when you bend down. I find that uncomfortable, even when I'm wearing a shirt (which is 99% of the time). It's a minor annoyance but I would trade all my other 514's in and replace them with this style if I could.

Great for long legs, thick legs that don't fit in regular jeans, and so on. I strongly recommend them. However, if you have thicker legs and aren't a fan of snug fitting jeans, I'd advise you to look elsewhere. Everyone has a different idea of what "snug fit" means so I included a picture to help.
review image review image
44 comments| 42 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 9, 2009
The first thing you should know is that the fit varies by wash. The tumbled rigid is significantly tighter than the carbon.

If you have athletic thighs/glutes, these may not be for you. I'm 6'5" with a (less muscled) NBA-type build, so these aren't the complaints of a stocky muscle-head or a fat man trying to squeeze himself into skinny jeans. The rise is pretty low, so if you have a "high" butt, your crack or underwear will show. Pulling them up a little higher to compensate may put your "work" on full display. This isn't as much or a problem with the carbon (which I love)as it is with the tumbled rigid. Both washes may be a little tight in the front, so modesty may dictate a little creative tucking at first, but they will loosen up over time.

Overall, I recommend them, however caveat emptor.
66 comments| 159 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 27, 2015
This is my second pair of these jeans in a different color. I have to say that these are one of the most comfortable I have ever worn. Although I wrote 'Fit as Expected", they do run just a tad larger, but I want to be clear that it is not a lot. And I will say that I appreciate that little extra breathing room. This includes the stretch material they add to these jeans as well since it gives you a more comfortable freedom of movement. I crawl under desks and on the floor and carry items all day and it is great to feel like I can bend down, move and squat without feeling like I will rip my pants. Seriously, these were a great find and I highly recommend them.
on October 21, 2015
So comfortable I want to do the Van Damme Splits in them but my folding chairs are in storage so I have to use the corner of my kitchen like he did in TimeCop.
on November 13, 2015
My husband is slim so, after a while his jeans sag. Forget about mommy jeans. Talk about daddy jeans. I bought him a pair of these jeans and he was very skeptical. When he tried them on they fit him, dare I say it, like a glove. Then, after wearing them for quite a while, they still fit him great, no sagging! We ordered three more pair. Plus, he could't believe how comfortable they were.
on February 10, 2016
After trying these pants for the first time, I absolutely love them! Regular jeans will never compare!

If you are an athletic person, or just hate the restricting feeling of most regular pants, then these are the pants for you.
It almost doesn't seem fair that women get all these comfortable, stretchy, athletic wear, and men have mostly been stuck with sweat pants until these past few years.

*****PROS*****
-These pants look nice; you can go out with them for any casual, or even semi-fancy outings, and still feel free and mobile!

-Play sports in them! you can move as you wish without any problems and its such a great feeling. Specially not having the "can't lift my leg any higher" or "can't squat or widen my stance in these jeans". If somebody shows up to your location and starts shooting up the place, you have the ability to run, vault, and somersault unhindered.

-although [arbitrarily] expensive to use as work pants, you can squat freely, step-over easily, or move about as you like with comfort.

-they are Levi's... enough said right?

*****CONS*****
-the only problem I have noticed is due to the "stretchiness" of the material, wearing a belt is almost an absolute necessity. Otherwise you risk killing
people with crack... because crack kills. Basically the will slide down a bit, but most jeans do that anyway.

-secondly, there is one tiny issue that only occurs in some pants. When walking, you may notice the material "catching" itself just under your gooch/butt. Because of the Elastane material, it just slightly less soft than 100% cotton (motion jeans contain 98% cotton, 2% elastane)
and you may hear this low flicking noise as you walk. not a major problem, just a little annoying when it happens.

-lastly, on the every once in a long, long, occasional, while... you might catch a leg hair in the elastic material and you will feel a little itch. on the same note, if you are allergic to any sort of elastic/spandex type material, definitely don't buy these.

**********************FINAL NOTES********************
These pants are my number one choice. I currently have three [different colored] pairs and i take good care of them. make sure you follow the recommended care, and they will last you a very long time.
On the other hand, if you can't accept any of my listed cons, or you are a heavy guy with a big belly/waistline, these may not be so great.

5-STARS!!!!
on August 28, 2014
I already owned a pair of 514s that were too long for the 30" inseam, but they fit well enough and I like to roll one cuff. No problem. But, when I ordered my new pair, I made sure to buy 514s with a 29" inseam instead. What I received were a new pair of 514s that were much larger all around (way too droopy crotch) and the length was not an inch shorter but THREE INCHES LONGER. Considering the inseam on the 30" was already closer to 33", I would have to say my new 29" are about a 36" inseam! It's so absurd.

Must be selling cheap through Amazon because the sizing is completely off. I will return this garbage now. Levi's sold their equipment to Japan (selvedge jeans) and now their product is inferior garbage. This will be my last attempt at Levi's after getting screwed on my last 5 pairs. No more ill-fitting jeans for me. They're either ball-huggers or droopy slob fit. I can go to H&M and get a better looking pair for half the price. Or Gap or J Crew, even, although I don't like to feel like a yuppy. The only thing going for Levi's is the classic pocket thread and red tag...but they're quickly destroying their brand.
on January 17, 2015
I've been buying Levi's jeans for 50 years and, over time I have seen the quality go down. The material seems to get thinner with every pair I buy. But this is the last straw. The belt loops are failing! This is not just a matter of the stitch that holds the loop to the pants coming loose -- The material to which the belt loop is sewn has torn!
I look at the picture in the advertising of the jeans being pulled in two directions and I wonder if the current product could withstand that experiment. Maybe they should stop advertising that way.
review image
on October 3, 2014
Fits perfect and a great price through Amazon.
review image
33 comments| 97 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse