5.0 out of 5 stars These jeans are for me!
Published on March 16, 2010 by Eric Olson

2.0 out of 5 stars Levi's changes sizes again
Published on April 22, 2009 by rickshaw

2.0 out of 5 stars Levi's changes sizes again, April 22, 2009
rickshaw (Scottsville, NY USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Levi's Men's 517 Boot Cut Jean (Apparel)
I have worn the 517 for over twenty five years and Levi's exclusively over 50 years. Two years ago, the cut changed and all 517's were relaxed fit. Send back and change size because they were too big. SO I ordered the same thing but now 517's are "slim cut". Doesn't work on me, I need some extra room. Now the number is 557 for the relaxed fit and I get to pay the postage to return the wrong cut jeans. Shame on Levi's: they should not have changed these 2 years ago and then change again this year.

1.0 out of 5 stars Levi's are not what they use to be, November 28, 2011
Quality is no longer the same and the fit varies from wich country it is made and the mood of that worker that day!!! One day hopefully we'll start making are own merchandise like the old days, with quality and pride!!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the same Levi's, March 29, 2010
The fabric is not the same as it use to be, it is much thinner. If you have a blem or a loose weave (small fabric loop) esprecially in the front thigh area, it will be the place that the fabric fails. You can feel these if you rub your hands along your lap. If you have light dye spots sometimes almost white, these too can be a quick source of fabric failure. These jeans will deteriate very quickly once the fabric weave fails. Amazon was great concerning returning one pair out of four ordered, but the replacement has it's issues and will show problems before the exchange window expires. They are made in Mexico and lack the old "MADE IN USA" quality. I would rather see Levi's keep the old standard and charge me more because they would be worth it. They should offer a "Heritage" fabric option. Other than the fabric, they are the same. I still love my Levi's and have been wearing them for over 35 years!

5.0 out of 5 stars These jeans are for me!, March 16, 2010
Eric Olson (New Orleans, LA) - See all my reviews
I've been wearing 517's for a good, long time now, and I love 'em! The problem is that most of my local stores that sell them--and very few of them do--price them highly and also drastically limit the selection compared to the more popular 501's and 550's. Additionally, these jeans are often skipped over when it comes to the big sales. Well, shopping for them on Amazon is a decision I should have made long ago. The price here is hard to beat.

As for the jeans themselves, they are of the rugged quality that Levi's is known for. They fit like the product photo shows: more or less a straight leg with the smallest hint of a boot-cut flare at the bottom. Of course, I don't wear boots, but I like the way the cut of the jeans look with either sneakers or casual dress shoes.

The "rinse" look is nice. It's a dark blue that looks close to brand new "rigid" jeans, yet it has the softer feel of the rigids after they've had a couple of washes. That's perfect for me. They're pretty comfortable right from the start, and yet they're still dark enough to stay looking nice for a long time. I expect a lot of wear out of them.

The only thing that might be a drawback with buying any kind of clothing online is the fact that you can't try the clothes on (which of course is not a knock against the product itself in any way). However, of the two pairs of these jeans that I bought through Amazon, both had a perfect fit. I'm very pleased, and this is the way I'll be buying jeans from now on.

3.0 out of 5 stars Typical Levi size irregularities., May 26, 2010
This review is from: Levi's Men's 517 Boot Cut Jean (Apparel)
Not exactly a slim fit in the thigh. The 29" length is actually 30.5 . Width of back pockets now range from 6" to 7" depending on the pair. The 7" back pockets look like big butt Farmer Jones jeans. Unfortunately this has been going on ever since they left the USA. (oh my god, I must be a protectionist) Maybe washing will help a little but I think I'm done with Levi. I've only been wearing them since the 50s.

1.0 out of 5 stars These are NOT your classic 517s, December 27, 2009
This review is from: Levi's Men's 517 Boot Cut Jean (Apparel)
DO NOT buy new 517s if you are looking for the slim, fitted, look of the classic Levi's 517. That's been left in the dust. Apparently Levi's thinks only fat people wear jeans now.

These jeans have so much extra fabric it's almost comical. I bought a pair online, set the jeans out on the floor, and even with a 29 waist, there is so much extra fabric they look like women's jeans! It's like they have room for hips or something.

Gimme a break, someone who buys 517's is not going for the baggy gangster look, they're 517s!!!

Thoroughly disappointed with the direction Levi's have taken the fit of their jeans, I will never buy a pair again.

Don't be fooled by the other reviews that say these have a classic fit. They have a baggy, frumpy, 'modern' couch potato fit.

1.0 out of 5 stars Levi's 517 Boot Jean was not the advertised size, August 28, 2006
I ordered a pair of 517 jeans using a size I had used for years. The jeans mailed to me showed the size on the Levi's patch, however they were several inches too long and the waist was much wider than normal. This was definitely not the size stated on the label.

Very frustrating, especially after we were eagerly anticipating their arrival 2 weeks after the order was placed. I hesitate to mail-order jeans again after this experience.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hard to find jeans for guys, September 26, 2005
These jeans are perfect for the guy who wants to wear boots and not look like a geek or a thug. Just the right combination of loose and fitted.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great innovation! Returning to the original SEVEN belt loops!, January 17, 2013
This review is from: Levi's Men's 517 Boot Cut Jean (Apparel)
I always had to keep pulling up my previous pairs of Levi's (any model) because they only had FIVE belt loops. A key ring and cell phone are not that heavy. I remember growing up with Levi's having SEVEN belt loops and a heavier canvas. I was pleasantly surprised to see the 'new' Levi's 517 now have seven belt loops again. I started to buy a different model, but they still only have the five loops.

I just bought a couple of these pairs from Amazon. I did check online at Kohls and their current batch of 517's still show 5 loops. I will have to wait until I go to the store to see if their stock has been updated. Kohls prices are higher than Amazon, but I will recheck when they go on sale. I still check Amazon first for almost all my purchases.

Overall, I like my new Levi's jeans. I will compare them with older ones to see if the canvas really is slightly thinner. Outsourcing manufacturing almost always results in poorer quality and non-standard sizing. It has 100% results in putting Americans out of work. I try to buy American whenever I can--hopefully it will catch on.

There is another issue appearing after I washed my new jeans with my old ones. It shouldn't have made a difference, but the new ones are now covered with fine fluffy hairs. I will have to use a lint brush when I take them out of the dryer for now. Although it may just be a 'break in--first washings' issue.

Overall, I rate these jeans 4 stars. I will have to wait for a few machine washings to see how the color holds up. I may be old fashioned, but buying jeans looking like they are 1/2 wore out or have holes in them is 'less than optimal'.

5.0 out of 5 stars Levi's 517, September 12, 2009
These jeans come washed so they are soft, supple and ready to wear. They are pre-shrunk so order the size you wear. I choose boot-cut jeans because I wear 12"-shaft western boots. Levies are the only jeans I wear because they fit well, look good, and get better with age.

Levi's Men's 517 Boot Cut Jean