2,115 Reviews

Published on September 24, 2008 by Teacherman

1.0 out of 5 stars Levi's lost a lifelong customer, September 24, 2008
Teacherman (Sacramento CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Levi's Men's 550 Relaxed Fit Jean (Apparel)
I never thought I'd look for another jeans manufacturer, but the last two pair of Levis left me unable to draw any conclusion other than that the company has allowed its standards to fall drastically in the last five years. I put up with seams that gave way and sewed them back; with pockets that couldn't hold a set of keys without ripping; with button seams that frayed. But on each of the last two pair I purchased, the belt loops popped off at the slightest pull. And Levis have reduced the number of loops from 7 to 5. It's too bad. They always used great material that feels great after a break-in period. But at $30-$50 a pop, they're no longer worth it. The break-in period becomes a broke period. So long Levis.

1.0 out of 5 stars Quality slipping!, January 27, 2007
Be very careful when you order Levi Strauss products. If you are expecting the same quality that you grew up with, you may be in for an unpleasant surprise. I just received 3 pair of 550's that I could immediately tell were different from the 550's I have in my closet. I wear 550's every day for construction work so I can tell the difference. The cloth is lighter weight, they are cut differently, and after one wash they began to fray/degrade. I compared my NEW 550's to several pair that are 5+ years old, and the new ones look more worse! (The old pair have been through the same washer dozens of times). I wish I could post photos here so you could see for yourself. Store your old Levi's because it looks like they aren't makin' em like they used to!!!

1.0 out of 5 stars I will never buy another pair of these jeans., April 12, 2009
This review is from: Levi's Men's 550 Relaxed Fit Jean (Apparel)
The last FOUR pair of Levi 550 relaxed fit jeans I have purchased have had the second belt loop on the left pop off where it is anchored at the bottom. It just pulls out and leaves a hole in the fabric. No, I do not pull up my jeans up by the belt loop and no, I do not yank out the belt when removing it. You would think that I would have learned my lesson sooner. The quality of this product has declined terribly in the last few years, probably due to someone's brilliant idea of cutting costs. Well, no more overpriced Levis for me. I am done paying top dollar for junk!

1.0 out of 5 stars No Quality or Consistency, Factories All Over the World, January 7, 2011
This review is from: Levi's Men's 550 Relaxed Fit Jean (Apparel)
Levi's needs to get their act together. I have 10 pair of Levi 550's bought over the past two years. 3 pair made in Egypt 1 from El Salvador 1 from Dominican Republic, Madagascar, Mexico, Bangladesh, one that says "made in Haiti finished in Dominican Republic". And get this one!! Lesotho!!??? Where the hell is Lesotho? Is that next to Petoria?(Family Guy fans)

I usually buy 2 pair at a time from Sears or Levi's Store only. They're all the same size and model number and 1st quality only, yet NONE are the same! Every single pair a cut different. Some are tight, some are shorter than others, label and tag variations. I always get the middle shade of blue, yet there's no consistency in color either. Even in the same store there might be three different countries of origin on the same shelf. But worst of all, the grade of denim is thin garbage compared to years past when they were still made in good 'ol China.

Well, I continued buying them because I had no idea what else to get. 34x36 is almost impossible to find other than Levi. Plus I'm not into styles or fads, I like the basics. WELL NOW THERE"S AN ALTERNATIVE. Costco's Kirkland brand relaxed fit jeans. Their 34 length is equivalent to Levi's 36. There cut really nice, and their made of the old style thick denim. They actually feel like old style Levi's from 10 or 15 years ago. Best of all they only cost $12.99 you can buy 3 pairs for what one pair of overpriced Levi's cost.

1.0 out of 5 stars Irregulars, February 23, 2009
This review is from: Levi's Men's 550 Relaxed Fit Jean (Apparel)
Belt loop came loose second time worn. Will have to send to have repaired. Must be factory seconds.

1.0 out of 5 stars Sizing problems, April 26, 2010
This review is from: Levi's Men's 550 Relaxed Fit Jean (Apparel)
I recently received my order for two pair of Levi's Men's 550 Relaxed Fit Jean, Dark Stonewash, 36x34 from Amazon. I tried one pair on and noticed that they were too tight. The second pair was even smaller. I took both pair to a local retailer that sells Levi's jeans and compared them to the size 36x34 the retailer carried. One pair of the jeans I ordered from Amazon was two inches smaller in the waist and the other pair was FOUR inches smaller in the waist. Since the jeans were Levi's, the retailer offered to swap out the jeans for the CORRECT size. He said he would take care of returning the wrong-sized jeans to the Levi's company. The jeans from Amazon were made in Egypt and the jeans at the local retailer were made in Mexico. I won't be ordering any more jeans from Amazon after this experience. Apparently, the Egyptian factory has some quality assurance and sizing issues.

1.0 out of 5 stars irregulars, February 15, 2009
This review is from: Levi's Men's 550 Relaxed Fit Jean (Apparel)
I bought 3 pairs of Levi's 550 jeans, all the same size and each one had a different fit. They are all badly cut. These must be irregulars or blems.

4.0 out of 5 stars Typical Levis, July 22, 2007
Chris (Snoqualmie, WA, United States) - See all my reviews
Overall, I've been getting more and more disgusted when I purchase jeans. I mean, I'm not a teenager so I am simply not interested in torn up, faded jeans that cost as much as a car payment. I also have seen the trend towards really thin fabrics, like jeans are just for looks, and durability is no longer something that is high on the list of desirable qualities. The Levis brand is one that I feel like I can always come back to and have a decent sense of what I'll get. I will say that the fabrics have gotten thinner over the years, but are still generally thicker and better manufactured than the other jeans I have tried. I have ordered two pairs of the 550s (Med stonewash) and have been pleased with the color. We have a relaxed dress environment at work and I can wear them without looking like I'm trying to emulate the style of a 15 year old.

2.0 out of 5 stars Location, Location, Location, March 2, 2010
This review is from: Levi's Men's 550 Relaxed Fit Jean (Apparel)
Fit is everything in jeans. Different brands are for different body types, similar to shoes. I've purchased and worn dozens and dozens of Levis 501s & 550s over last 40 years. When they were made in the USA you could identify the factory and know what cut and fit to expect. The stonewashed jeans only shrank over a long period of time. Then there was Mexico and Egypt. Both different. Now, the last pairs purchased from Amazon came from Haiti. This is not a commentary on the Haitian people. This is a commentary about jeans. The Haitian jeans [stone washed] are cut oddly and shrink with one washing [The same sizes from Egypt ran large]. The fabric may vary and be thinner than yesterdays' jeans, but the real issue is fit. Levis have become very hard, if not impossible to depend on.

1.0 out of 5 stars Levi's Jeans, December 18, 2008
Product did not fit. I went tot he store and bought the same size and it fit just fine. I think they are selling irregualrs, but not indicating them as such.

Levi's Men's 550 Relaxed Fit Jean