1,254 Reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Good replacement for discontinued Silvertab Baggy
Published on May 16, 2010 by Christopher Johnson

Purchased 3 pairs of these jeans (from Amazon) in the past 3 months, all being size 36 waist. Each jean is different, being that each pair is made in a different country. They are all the same color (Indie Blue).

One pair is made in Mexico and has the thickest material, waist size and length are correct.
One pair is made in Cambodia and has the thinnest...
Published on March 8, 2012 by S. Bardone

5.0 out of 5 stars Good replacement for discontinued Silvertab Baggy, May 16, 2010
This review is from: Levi's Men's 559 Relaxed Straight Leg Jean (Apparel)
I wear a size 31 x 34. I have found that most companies that make jeans, make some assumptions about you based on your waist. Most jeans that fit me in the waist choke me in the crotch and thighs. For years, Levi's Silvertab Baggy jeans suited me well. They were comfortable and durable, but were a little too baggy. They also had a slightly tapered leg, a huge fashion faux pas.

So... it was time to move on. And I've found a wonderful replacement in the Levi's 559. They have a straight leg, they're reasonably priced, and they look and feel great. They're a little tighter in the leg and butt than the Silvertab Baggy which is a good thing for me. When I sit down the back of the waist doesn't pooch out, which is also nice.

I have found that different colors will fit and feel very different. I recently ordered "Range (2765)" and "Indie Blue (4258)." Both Levi's 559's, and both 31x34. The Range variety were made in Lesotho. They're much looser in the waist and thighs and the denim fabric feels thicker. The Indie Blues were made in Vietnam. They're tighter in the waist and thighs and the material is thinner and stretchier.

I have had a hard time tracking the names of the colors versus the color code. That's frustrating when you want to look at what's in your closet and order the same thing. The jeans have the color code, but nowhere do they say the name of the color! When you go to order online, you get ONLY the name of the color and no color code. >:-( For some reason, Levi's has never posted this information online.

I called Levi's 800 number and got the current list of colors along with their corresponding codes. Please note that the 559's have existed in TWO different style codes. I have been assured that they are both EXACTLY the same cut/style. Those style numbers are 00559 and 62223. Levi's calls the 62223 code "exclusive." It means that it is manufactured for exclusive sale by a particular retailer. Sometimes, it will be a color that isn't available elsewhere and in the cases I've seen, the 62223's feature a leather label on the back, while the 00559's have the traditional brown paper label. The last 62223's I found were sold at the Levi's flagship retail store in San Francisco's Union Square in 2010.

It is worth noting that not all colors are sold in all sizes. So, if you can't find your size, try another color.

Fall 2013 Collection - (The Fall 2013 collection has no jeans with Style code 62223.)

Style | Color
-------+----------------------------
00559 | 0733 Sub Zero
00559 | 4010 Tumbled Rigid
00559 | 4258 Indie Blue (Sometimes called "New Indie Blue")
00559 | 0229 Andi
00559 | 0369 Chinchilla
00559 | 0370 Graphite

Other Colors - Not manufactured as of Fall 2013
====================================================
These may still be available based on what's still in stock, but they currently are not manufactured as of my most recent call to Levi's on November 12, 2013. They may or may not be manufactured again based on sales, fashion trends, or they may only be available seasonally.

Style | Color
00559 | 0162 Placid
00559 | 0168 Bluejay
00559 | 1274 Stray Cat
00559 | 0177 Vista
00559 | 0178 Medium Chipped (Used to be 0179)
00559 | 4257 Overhaul
62223 | 0066 Indie Blue, AKA New Indie Blue
62223 | 0065 New Tumbled Rigid
62223 | 0178 Medium Chipped
62223 | 0177 Vista

1.0 out of 5 stars Mexico, Cambodia, Bangladesh... all use different measurements, March 8, 2012
S. Bardone (Sunnyvale, CA United States) - See all my reviews

One pair is made in Cambodia and has the thinnest material, waist size is correct, length is a little longer that the other.
Last pair I purchased (less than a week ago) is made in Bangladesh. The material is somewhere between the Mexican and Cambodian products. The waist size is off by 2 inches!

Unfortunately, I did not see the need to try the jeans before removing the tags and washing. Now, I'm stuck with a pair of 36 jeans that are actually a size 34.

This is entirely unacceptable from any product, yet alone from Levi's. Especially when paying +$40 for a pair of jeans that are using less than $5.00 in material and labor. The high quality of Levi's jeans no longer exists... I grew up wearing Levi's. I remember getting them for about $12/pair at Mervyn's, and they were of great quality, lasting a kid an entire year. I've had 2 pairs of these jeans for 3 months now, and they are so thin, my pocket knife and cell phone have worn holes in the pocket already!

I guess that it is time to seriously consider an alternative to Levi's jeans. Any suggestions?

5.0 out of 5 stars essential apparel indeed !!!, December 29, 2008
Matthew G. Sherwin (last seen screaming at Amazon customer service) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Levi's Men's 559 Relaxed Straight Leg Jean (Apparel)
Levi's makes a great pair of somewhat loose fitting "relaxed fit" jeans for gentlemen who want a slightly more relaxed look to their jeans; and these jeans are also a good choice for people like me who are slightly overweight. The jeans also come with a straight leg that looks just a little bit more "clean cut" without getting formal at all. They give you extra room and they look good; and that's great!

The denim is nice and thick; and these jeans are extremely durable. The excellent stitching--along with the cotton denim they use--helps make this possible. In fact, with proper care these jeans can last for years at a time without any fraying--even at the bottoms of the legs and at the five pockets. I also like the relaxed, very slightly oversized look on the sides of the straight legs.

One extra bonus is that Levi's makes these jeans in big and tall sizes for guys; big and tall sizes are harder to find so this makes these jeans a great product for larger guys out there.

Make sure you choose the right size and color for you if you're using the sizing chart along with the pricing and availability chart above on this webpage. In addition, although these jeans are essentially permanent press, I would wash these jeans with similar colors to avoid any color dye bleeding onto white garments in the wash or dryer cycle.

If you want a pair of jeans with some extra room in the seat and thigh areas but yet come with a straight leg, this is exactly what you're looking for. Indeed, these fine jeans by Levi's outscore jeans made by other manufacturers. They are remarkably comfortable and yet the fabric is strong to make these last!

3.0 out of 5 stars Irregular sizes, February 11, 2010
I've noticed that Levi's jeans have been extremely irregular in their sizes. For example, I just bought 2 pairs of 36 x 32 Relaxed Straight Jeans in two different colors and one was literally 3 inches shorter than the other pair. Further, one was more baggy. I believe this is due to Levi's having too many factories in various countries with little standards. I suggest trying these on and purchasing them at a store rather than online. Once you find the right "size" they are worth it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not the same 559s I bought before, March 28, 2012
This review is from: Levi's Men's 559 Relaxed Straight Leg Jean (Apparel)
The fit on these jeans is way different from my previous pair of 559s. I laid these new jeans on top of my old jeans and the crotch is 2 to 3 inches shorter. They are really uncomfortable. I'm returning mine.

1.0 out of 5 stars What's the point of keeping the style number?, March 12, 2012
What is the point of keeping the same style number if you are going to completely change the style and quality of the jeans? These quality of these jeans is very poor.

1.0 out of 5 stars Too small, February 15, 2010
Levi's sizes are not typical. The darker blue ones that I bought fit tighter than the the lighter blue pair of the same model 559. I will not buy jeans online again. Hopefully my brother can fit into them!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good jeans, April 25, 2009
Scott (Lexington, KY) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Levi's Men's 559 Relaxed Straight Leg Jean (Apparel)
The Levi 559 Relaxed Straight Jean is perhaps the most versatile jean in Levi's lineup. For someone who wants something comfortable enough to wear around the house yet still "hip" enough to take to the club, this is it (however, I doubt you'll ever see Levi's at a club because most of the people there are pretentious idiots who don't feel right in anything costing less than $100, but nobody will notice YOU are wearing Levi's... who knows, maybe you'll bump into a down-to-earth woman who appreciates your frugality and mature taste). When you graduate college, you may also graduate from jeans that fit around your shoes and drag the ground. Likewise, you'll graduate from jeans that are excessively baggy and just barely hang on, as if by prayer, below your hips. Unlike the 527 (low rise) however, you won't have to worry about a tight fit in the crotch area. Those of you who have just begun the shift from baggy jeans into jeans that actually fit, may want to first start with the 569 Loose Fit, which has a 1.5" larger leg opening... doesn't sound like much but to me the difference is huge, in both how they look and how they feel. The 559 seems to be tighter around the waist as well, and I wasn't used to feeling tension in the back of my pants when I lifted my leg to rest my ankle on my knee, but these have that. Finally, because it is not a boot cut, the 559 jeans do not drape much over the sides of your shoe, but there is good coverage of the back of your shoe, almost to the ground but not dragging thankfully (at least when worn with my Reebok Classics). The point here is, unless you want to look like a mid-90's Jerry Seinfeld, you'll appreciate the fact that these do not bunch up around the ankles (and I might also add, the 559 can be bought in the popular faded look). So there you have it, a modern jean, a jean for the millennium.

1.0 out of 5 stars style has changed, November 9, 2011
This review is from: Levi's Men's 559 Relaxed Straight Leg Jean (Apparel)
Purchased and these are terrible. The design has changed drastically. They are now lower cut waist and not a relaxed fit at all. 559's were at one time a good choice but not any more!

Also, if you purchase them in "rigid" know that is a somewhat raw denim. Follow the wear instructions...wear them for a long time before washing and do not dry them. If you dry the 559 "rigid' they will shrink up a size or more like the 501 shrink to fit. They are made in Cambodia.

The other 559's are not shrinking like the "rigid" but the style/cut is just nothin like the 559's i purchased two years ago.

I am done with Levis. World wide production (whoever can make it cheaper) has turned their product into junk.

5.0 out of 5 stars 559s, December 14, 2008
Ian Gowen (Pennsylvania, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Levi's Men's 559 Relaxed Straight Leg Jean (Apparel)
These fit the way I like jeans to fit. I found Levi's 501s to be too tight around the thighs; I prefer a looser fit overall, and these jeans provide a relaxed fit without being baggy.

Levi's Men's 559 Relaxed Straight Leg Jean