Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Stephen Kellogg All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Bring a little greenery into your home Amazon Gift Card Offer jstfd6 jstfd6 jstfd6  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Lisa Loeb AMO Shop Now Sale

on March 10, 2014
I'm relatively short at 5'8" but I wear a size 11.5 in shoes. Anything other than boot cut tends to make me look like I a clown with jeans on. Needless to say, trying to find jeans has always been a frustrating affair. When I do find a good pair of jeans, I usually stick with them for a few years. Recognizing my jeans were becoming a bit dated a couple years ago, I went looking for new jeans and stumbled upon the 527's. I was so happy I did. No pair of jeans had ever fit as well on me as the 527's. Back then, they were known as the "low rise boot cut" jean. They sat a tad below the waist, had enough room in the thigh for a normal male and fit comfortably over the tongues of my clown shoes.
Thinking that Levi's sequenced their jeans so that the cut would always be the same for the life of their run, about a year ago I purchased a darker pair of 527s online without ever having tried them on. This pair felt really snug in the thigh and the waist though. I thought perhaps I needed to break them it a bit, but months later, they were still the same. In the end, I just chalked it up to a manufacturer defect and thought no more of it.
Last month I repurchased another pair of the 527's on Amazon (which this review pertains to). So excited, I closed my office door and tried them on as soon as they arrived. However, when I pulled them up, my boxers bunched up in ways I only fear of in my dreams. When I was finally able to button them up, I felt like the tin man from the Wizard of Oz trying to walk around in my office. It was as if someone had painted these jeans onto my legs. Thinking it maybe was all in my mind, I tried them on for my fiancée back home. She literally laughed in my face. I finally got to see what I looked like in the mirror and I laughed out loud as well. If you have ever seen the episode from “It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia” where Frank buys a pair of skinny jeans, that is what I looked like. Completely baffled, I placed the new 527s on top of my old 527s and at that point I finally realized the cut was completely different. It was slimmer not only in the waist and the thigh, but also at the bottom of the jean. I looked at the labels and finally saw that the name changed too: "low rise" boot cut v. "slim" boot cut. I googled the jeans to see if Levis ever made an announcement of the change. Nothing online other than disgruntled former customers who, like me, realized the switch after purchasing these newer jeans. Needless to say, I returned these to Amazon completely unhappy (not with the seller, with Levis). Once again, I find myself on a never-ending quest to find jeans that fit both my shape and my style since Levis no longer does.
1919 comments79 of 86 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 12, 2015
I don't live in the US but my wife travelled to florida this month, so I ordered the same model and size of this Levi's as the one I ordered Last Year and she will bring them home. To my surprise when she got home I try them on and the Jeans are too tight on the legs....I was cheking all the tags and I realize that the jeans where manufactured in other country, If the jeans are made in a different countries this will affect the size??? What can I do as all the jeans I bought does't fit me???? I don't Live in the US and its not easy to returned them...
review image review image review image
11 comment26 of 26 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 19, 2010
I'd been looking for a decent pair of non-baggy jeans for some time when I stumbled across these. I love these jeans! I spent 8 months losing 60 pounds, and I didn't do it to wear 'relaxed fit', 'loose fit', or 'comfy fit' jeans.
44 comments44 of 52 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 17, 2011
We bought these in the "medium chipped" color. My husband loves the Levi's 527 style and we have purchased many of these jeans from the store. The ones that we bought here online were a very thin material as compared to all the others we have purchased before. We did not return them since my husband says he will wear them during the summer, but they would never hold up to be work jeans as intended.
66 comments40 of 48 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 19, 2011
Good if you like that sort of thing but some people may not be too keen on it. These are my new favorite jeans.
22 comments59 of 74 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 26, 2012
I ordered 2 pairs of these Levi's 527 jeans for my husband, one in the overhaul rinse and the other in indie blue. While we were thrilled with the colours and weight of the jeans when we took them out of the package, once he put them on - well, what a joke! We ordered 36x36 in each jean, which he wears in other Levi's 527 jeans that he owns. But with these ones, he can barely get the zipper and button done up, and the pants do not go past his ankles. I have measured the waist and inseam of both pairs, and neither measures more than 34" in the waist, and for the inseams, one actually measures 33" and the other 34".

These would have been a great deal if their fit was true to size - for genuine Levi's jeans! I live in Canada, and these jeans easily cost $85/pair, so I jumped at buying my husband 2 pairs of these jeans off Amazon.com for the price of 1 pair in Canada. However, now that I have paid $10.40 in taxes and $3.00 in broker fee that I will be losing plus the $20+ dollars to ship these back to Amazon.com from Canada, these are definetly not a good deal as I will actually be out about $45 on a purchase that was delivered in the US for $79.98. This is unfortunate, as it really truly is difficult to buy 36" inseam jeans, and my husband has had great luck before with the Levi's 527 jeans - when bought from an actual Levi's store in Canada that is...

Moral of the story is: I should have trusted the other reviews that I read online through Amazon.com saying that the sizes were off. I mean, I could live with the waist sizing being off a little, but when an inseam is advertised as 36" but actually measures no longer than 33" or 34", that is just unacceptable - and that is pre-wash measurements! I can only imagine if they shrunk AT ALL, given that they are after all 100% cotton.

I don't know if the manufacturing of these jeans has changed, as one pair indicates made in Bangladesh, and the other in Mexico. My husband's previous pairs of 527s were made in Mexico. All in all though, we are very disappointed.
0Comment20 of 24 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 29, 2011
Upon receiving the package, everything looks great..the material and stitching seems very similar to the standards of other Levi products as well as past Levi jeans I have personally worn for years. However, the jean material does seem a bit lighter, meaning it feels thinner and lighter weight than previous 527 jeans I have worn. In conjunction to this notion, I have also found the the fit to be a bit tighter around the waist, though the length of the leg seems to measure out fairly. Interestingly, I have found other reviews to also have similar issues.
0Comment17 of 20 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 25, 2011
I'm a fairly thin guy, so my other 527s fit quite nicely. They're loose, but not too loose. So when I received these from Amazon expecting the same fit as the 527s I bought a couple years ago I was really surprised. They were a very snug fit. They we're very similar to Levi's skinny fit jeans - not at all the look I want. Back they go.
11 comment28 of 35 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 26, 2013
Been wearing levis for years and years.This is my last pair.Absolute crap. Not like they were when they were made in USA or Canada. These jeans last months instead of years like they used to. That's what happens when you have jeans made by kids in foreign sweat shops
on May 10, 2012
The 3 pair of Levis 527 jeans i ordered were not orginal Levis!
Firstly all 3 of them fit differently, one pair was so bad I had to give them away, the legs was so tight i could not get them on.
The pockets are so small (the smallest pockets I have ever seen in a pair of jeans) that i could not even fit my cell phone in the front pocket without it sticking out.

This is my first problem / dissapointment I have had from any order that i have gone through amazon on, and I order alot of stuff thru amazon.

This vendor should be removed from their list and turned into the commerice department for fraud.

Ken Birdsall
0Comment44 of 59 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse