5.0 out of 5 stars Great Slim Jeans
Published on June 27, 2010 by NoŽl Simpson

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as rigid as expected
I wear nothing but 514 Slim Levis jeans. I have owned all different styles and colors since they
released the 514 line. I've owned a pair of these before but they wore out -zipper broke,
denim degraded as expected after a few years and developed holes at stress points.
Published on May 19, 2012 by Musicman

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Slim Jeans, June 27, 2010
This review is from: Levi's Men's 514 Straight Welder Jean (Apparel)
I bought five pairs of these jeans. My daughter made me buy new jeans because the 550s I have been wearing for years, according to her, "hang off my butt". OK, she's right. I am 6-2, 170 pounds, and y'know, a white guy with no butt. These jeans fit me very well, not too tight, and age appropriate (I am in my 50s). I bought five different styles of the 514s. And each one is quite different in fabric weight and finish - so it does not look like you are wearing the same jeans every day. Know what I mean? The material is quite a bit lighter than the 550s so I suspect they will not stand up to as many washings. Hers's the best part - I have gotten a lot of compliments (most of them good) on how they look. These jeans make you look slimmer than the 550s. As one of the other reviewers said, round your size up if you're in bewtween sizes. All in all, I am very well pleased with the five pairs I bought - they are a younger style than my trusty old 550s, ride a little lower on the waist and are a great fit for a slim body style.

5.0 out of 5 stars great fitting..., April 9, 2010
Chad Wellbrock (Atlanta GA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Levi's Men's 514 Straight Welder Jean (Apparel)
Someone made the comment, "you sure are working those jeans today" so I guess they fit great as well as being really comfortable. The slight shine gives them a bit of an edge. They are slim but not SKINNY which is good foranyone over the age of 25 who still wants to look fit.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great jeans, but VERY stylized, February 13, 2011
This review is from: Levi's Men's 514 Straight Welder Jean (Apparel)
One key feature not mentioned is that the inseam is twisted. So when you're wearing the pants, the outseam hits the outside of your foot, but the inseam hits just inside the center of your heal.

Here's another BIG one about the "weird pockets" review. They APPEAR to be butt-flap pockets but they're just decorative. You actually reach behind the flaps and straight down into them like regular pockets. The pain is; I DO have some pants with flap pockets, so every time I wear them I find myself reaching back, feeling the flap, unbuttoning it, then remembering that doesn't do anything. Annoying.

Finally, the jeans have a high sheen, almost like a shark-skin suit style, for denim. And the leg seams are sewn with 3 different colors of thread (mustard/white/brown) which creates a subtle, cool, high-end look.

ALL the 514s are great if you're like me and have a smaller build (5'7"/145)and want trendy, good-looking pants that just plain fit without being too skinny or too loose.

If you can't seem to find jeans that sit low enough without giving you that saggy "skater-butt" where your back pockets are BELOW your cheeks.... THESE are the Levi's to buy!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Jeans!, March 14, 2011
I recently bought these jeans as a gift for my boyfriend. His current Levi's are baggy and VERY unflattering. After reading the great reviews, I decided to purchase a pair. All I can say is...WOW!!!!!!!! They are perfect. Never knew my boyfriend had a tush before. These sleek jeans really compliment his shape. Form fitting and very trendy. The large back pockets are fashionable, stitching is unique and the slight sheen gives an edgy look. My guy is 5"11, 190# and slender. If you have a slim build and are tired of the saggy "skater butt" look...give these a try. YOU'LL BE TURNING HEADS IN NO TIME;-))

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as rigid as expected, May 19, 2012
These are a good style but not really as rigid as you would expect from the product description.
Denim material seems thinner on the pair I got and tumbled (not rigid), unlike the denim thickness
of the previous pair I owned or other truly rigid Levis. They fit really good; true to spec but will
wear out faster than truly rigid Levis.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good jeans for showing off the goods, October 13, 2011
If you've got it, flaunt it, right? That's what these jeans are about.

I initially ordered 1 inch too slim, but found the next one up to be perfect. If sized properly, they fit snugly around the waist and crotch--not overly tight and not loose. These are good jeans for someone with a round butt--they will really bring out the shape of it. They don't leave a lot to the imagination in front though, which is why I knocked off a star. The fit combined with the lighter material accentuates what you've got in front. Although you can mitigate the bulge a bit by keeping your wallet and phone in the two front pockets, I wouldn't recommend these jeans for an office environment.

The straight cut of the leg is a slightly loose fit, but it doesn't look unreasonably baggy and it really works aesthetically when factoring how well the jeans fit around the waist. The material is an interesting lighter fabric with an almost shiny look to it. It's definitely a unique look. The fabric isn't thin enough to wear quickly but not too thick or restrictive either. It feels quality.

These are great jeans and have resulted in many turned heads and compliments from some fashion snots, so for the price they're a no brainer.

2.0 out of 5 stars pockets are weird, April 10, 2010
Apparently welder jeans have backpockets that button. They come to a point and so look extremely effeminate in conjunction with how tight they are. Which is pretty tight. If you are between sizes go up not down as was my mistake.

3.0 out of 5 stars 50/50 poly cotton - NOT 100% cotton, October 19, 2013
J. M. Hwang (Brea, CALIFORNIA, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Levi's Men's 514 Straight Welder Jean (Apparel)
this is an informational review. The "Welder Jean" style is a 50/50 cotton poly mix, and not the 100% cotton as in the description. I ordered the Sail color. Not sure if the other is 100% cotton. I haven't worn anything other than the 514 for a long while. My favorite is usually the 98% Cotton with 2% Elastane but wanted to try this style, but not sure about the 50/50.

Also, the legs seem to taper off to a semi "boot" cut. I ordered another 514 at the same time (both 30x30) and the Welder Jean is 1" wider at the ankle than the other 514. I'm comparing both NEW so no shrinking, etc.

I do love the 514's!

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as advertised, January 3, 2013
Shoppin' Mikey (SAN FRANCISCO, CA, US) - See all my reviews
They are advertised as 100% cotton but are in fact 60/40 cotton/polyester. What's up with that? Will likely return them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Slim Dandy!, January 3, 2013
Great looking pant, great fit, great detail, great finish on the fabric. My boy was very happy to get these for Christmas, and looked pretty darn good in them, too!

Levi's Men's 514 Straight Welder Jean