Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

on October 30, 2012
Leviton is now making a consumer-grade version of this plug with a white clamshell body, color-coded and has push-through terminals in the back. Avoid them - they are a nightmare to work with.

This plug is the standard electricians grade device. It is simple, effective and durable. It has been used for years, and will be used for years more. I have used versions of these in medium-rough shops and never had a problem. I have moved them around to different pieces of equipment when I was short one or two and they always come back together again.

I am stocking up on several more.
on September 8, 2014
I used this to line into a 50amp 3 prong stove/dryer cable, to a 30amp extension, to a generator. Result 7500 watt generator now powers my whole home.

My previous setup was limited by a 20 amp cable, forcing a 20 amp fuse and 20 amp version of the adapter. This relegated me to cutting off my hot water heater and plugging my fridge into a 15amp 120v outlet on the generator.

So does it work? Definitely. Does it work well? Not the greatest. It connected fine but forced a bend in my cable to get my YGX cables lined up. And the bend resulted in the cable clamp having some space left open. Not a deal breaker because this is an indoor connection, but I was more pleased with the pass and seymour adapter's rubber gasket that sealed it off better.

Overall, I'd buy it again if I was in a pinch, but if spend a couple dollars more on the p&s and drive to get it...I used to think leviton was the best for the dollar...in this instance I question it.
on October 11, 2013
This is a heavy duty nicely made L14-30 male plug that is designed to handle 30 amps at 240v. Each of the wires slide into an individual tube when you assemble the unit, to keep possible stay wire pieces from arcing. There's also a screw down stress relief section that tightens down on the cord to keep the cord from tugging at the connections if you were to pull on it. Each of the tubes where you insert the wires are clearly marked with W,G,X,Y for the 4 wires used.

This plug is well made and doing the job nicely. I firmly tighten down the #10 wire (which needs to be used to support the 30 possible amps). It's designed to hold this size wire. I feed mine with a 10-4 flex cable, feels like an extension cord but much thicker and pretty pricey.

I primarily use this to supply power to my welder. The welder sits on a cart that I built with a power distribution center on it. I run a cord from the cart over to the wall where I have an L14-30 female to plug this into. It works well and I really like the locking connection, it keeps things plugged in if there's a little tension on the cords.

This link takes you to the plug I used which is also well made and they work great together.Leviton 2710 30 Amp, 125/250 Volt, Flush Mounting Locking Receptacle, Industrial Grade, Grounding, V-0-MAX, Black Both of these pieces are available here on Amazon at a significant discount over the local big box stores.

5 stars, a well-made lasting design for a great price.
on December 8, 2013
I needed to make a pigtail for my DuroMax XP4400E generator to go to a 50A travel trailer plug. Stopped in at the local big-box hardware supply for a L14-30 plug and a 50A socket. The socket was a reasonable $12 but the L14-30 plugs they had were $25! Pulled up the Amazon app on my phone, found this at a much more reasonable $15 or so with free Amazon Prime 2-day shipping. As always Amazon came through with reliable delivery.

The plug itself is great, very easy to assemble with screw-terminals that will easily handle solid or stranded wire. Instructions are a little strange as it's a single sheet that covers everything from L10 through L23, in three languages, but really if you need the instructions to know how to wire up a plug like this you probably shouldn't be doing it.

Only quibble is that the clamp won't really tighten down on 10-3 with ground NM cable - but to be fair, I should really be using outdoor rated cable. I just had the NM laying around already.
on August 23, 2015
Good, industrial quality Twistlock plug. Don't comfuse this one with a cheapo import, this is the genuine article. Arrived on time and in perfect condition. Just the ticket for your generator connection cord. Good job Amazon and Leviton.
on October 6, 2013
Recently bought a generator. Decided we would make a 220 pigtail to back feed into our house during an outage (will we have two panels in series, both mains will be flipped and we will connect to the second panel). Went to home depot and this plug was $29. Luckily we were doing this way in advance so they didn't have us over a barrel. I ordered this at half the price with free shipping thanks to amazon prime.

The product seems to be made of good quality. Leviton is a good brand to my knowledge. The screw terminals locked the wire solid. It took a piece of 10/4 wire that had rubber insulation and clamped down very well. It even has a knock/pull out so you could use even larger wire or thicker insulated wire yet. It seems to hold well in the outlet and will serve its purpose.
on September 7, 2014
I bought a transfer switch and a generator hook up cord from a guy on craigslist but unforturnately the end was wrong on the cord I got from him. This plug was the size I needed to attach to my generator. It was easy to swap out and worked great the first time. It feels very sturdy and seems like it will last me a very long time.
on April 22, 2014
Works perfectly on my generator for the few occasions that I need 220v. Instructions were a little vague for a non professional but easy enough to figure out with very basic knowledge of wiring an electrical outlet. The quality is good and the cost at Amazon was about $7.00 less that the big box stores. I would recommend this product.
on November 12, 2013
This is my second L14-30 plug, and it is obviously superior to the cheap Chinese plug I already had. The plastic is better quality on the Leviton. This has a strain relief, where the cheapo does not. It was also easier and faster to attach this to a cable. The lugs worked with me, where the cheapo plug fought me getting the wires in.
on August 20, 2015
Great Item, Great price NEMA L14-30P 4 wire, 240v/ 2x 120v, 2 hot, 1 neutral, 1 ground. For use by qualified electrician per electrical codes and inspectors. Generator, welder, certain appliances.