5.0 out of 5 stars Look no further
This is a great eye mask, and I've owned many. The usual problem with eye masks is that they don't conform to the face, and thus let light in, particularly at the bottom. The flaps are flimsy and the velcro just doesn't do the trick in keeping the mask tight to your face.

Published on December 9, 2007 by Shirlz

1.0 out of 5 stars WARNING: DYE NOT STABLE
THIS PRODUCT LEFT BLUE-BLACK STAINS ON ALL OF MY SHEETS. IT TOOK ME A WHILE TO FIGURE OUT THE CULPRIT UNTIL I AWOKE TO A STAIN IN THE EXACT SHAPE OF THE EYE MASK. PLEASE BE AWARE OF THIS BEFORE YOU PURCHASE THIS PRODUCT.
Published on October 30, 2011 by Amazon Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars Look no further, December 9, 2007
Shirlz (Madison, WI) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lewis N. Clark Comfort Eye Mask (Apparel)

This eye mask solves both of those. The connector at the back isn't velco, it's the real thing. It's not a cheap connector. And although I was worried because the lower part of the mask was heavier, I see they had to do this to block light. Unlike the expensive Sharper Image mask I bought, the heavier area is still very thin and doesn't cause a problem when I sleep on my side or face (yes, I often wake up face down, and not on the pavement.)

If your intention is to own a TOTALLY light blocking eye mask that won't be uncomfortable in different sleep position, well, this is it. And I'm darn anal about my eye masks.

5.0 out of 5 stars Solution to stabilize the dye, May 29, 2012
This is a great eye mask that does everything it should. It's comfortable, doesn't come off while I sleep (and I move around a lot at night), and blocks out all the light.

However, as other reviewers have mentioned, the colour bleeds out from the mask and leaves stains on your pillowcase. I was frustrated as I couldn't bleach the stains out and the dye started to bleed through to my actual pillow.

I tried washing the mask a couple times but it didn't fix the problem. I finally found a solution, though. I soaked the mask for an hour in a mixture of vinegar and water and about 1/2 cup of salt, and afterwards I hand washed it in detergeant and rinsed it several times until the water ran clear. I haven't had any problems since. I'd definitely buy this this mask again, and treat it with the vinegar/salt solution first.

5.0 out of 5 stars The only sleep mask that works!, November 12, 2007
This review is from: Lewis N. Clark Comfort Eye Mask (Apparel)
I've tried a number of eye masks, some significantly more expensive than this, but this is the only one I use. The strap is thin and soft enough to stay comfortable even when I sleep on my side, and the mask itself is nice and soft, stays on fairly well, and does its job of blocking out light. Unbeatable, especially for the price.

4.0 out of 5 stars I've paid more than 10 times this for something that wasn't even half as good!, April 7, 2008
This review is from: Lewis N. Clark Comfort Eye Mask (Apparel)
I'm one of those people who cannot have any light or sound when I am sleeping. (BTW, these do not come with earplugs as the description states, at least mine didn't, although that's not what I purchased them for since I already have a good set.) I have used many eye masks over the years but this one is certainly the very best. What I like the most about it is that it's very comfortable and adjustable. I like a very, very, very tight eye mask and this allows me that while always fitting over my face well. I also like it because it's black and that also seems to naturally repel the light because I've used other eye makes in different colors (red and pink) and they tend to almost colorize the darkness. The reason I didn't give it a 5 is because some very little light sometimes manages to creep in. But other than that it really is perfect. And the price is excellent. I've paid more than 10 times this for something that wasn't even half as good!

1.0 out of 5 stars WARNING: DYE NOT STABLE, October 30, 2011

1.0 out of 5 stars Quality has gone way down, March 27, 2012
Swiss Family Robinson (Columbus, OH United States) - See all my reviews
I have had these masks for about six years. Loved them but the elastic finally gave out. Ordered new ones recently and the quality has gone way down. They stain my pillows blue now. Even after washing them several times they continue to stain the sheets and pillow cases blue. Also materials are cheaper, less padding etc. I am looking for an alternative.

1.0 out of 5 stars disappointed second-time purchaser, January 24, 2012
this is the second time i've purchased this eye mask through amazon. i love how it blocks out the light, and the level of comfort when wearing it has always been great; however, the second mask i purchased has stained my pillowcases irreparably. there were no problems with the first mask, and i do not know why this is happening with the subsequent replacement. if you have nice sheets, please beware of this eyemask . . . it may ruin them.

3.0 out of 5 stars Comfortable but hard to use, July 7, 2008
Susan Allen (Bellevue, WA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lewis N. Clark Comfort Eye Mask (Apparel)
This mask is nice and soft and thick and comfortable, but like other masks I have tried, light tends to leak through the bottom of the mask. The biggest problem is that the thick sturdy adjustable strap tends to dig into the skin at the top of my ears. If I try to raise the strap higher on the back of my head, it doesn't stay on during the night. So I've given up using it. My husband had the same problem with it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Black dye leaves stains on bed linens, January 2, 2012
This was the best fitting, most comfortable eye mask I ever owned. But I should have checked other poor reviews that noted the stains that these leave behind. I noted this on pillow cases, sheets and a comforter cover. I just returned from a trip and was embarrassed to find that the hotel pillow cases were stained (after I had washed and dried this mask 3 times!). Because of possible damage that the dye might cause to eyes, I would rate this an unacceptable product that should be recalled.

4.0 out of 5 stars Pleased, but not perfect for me, December 23, 2007
Ed M. (Austin, TX USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lewis N. Clark Comfort Eye Mask (Apparel)
I've recently discovered that sleep masks are making a big difference in my quality of sleep. I had been using a cheap airline mask and decided to seek something better. The reviews on this mask and the price were compelling and I received mine a few days ago.

For me, the good:
- Comfortable
- Good strap
- Price

The not so good:
- I have a pretty big head, so the strap is most of the way out.
- I toss and turn and this comes off easier than the airline mask, surprisingly.
- The mask has to be positioned perfectly to not leak a little light and after some toss/turn, it will move some.

The net is that I am pleased and would buy it again. I do plan to browse masks at local stores to see if I can find something that I would like even more.

Lewis N. Clark Comfort Eye Mask, Black