1 Review

1.0 out of 5 stars Beware Lewmar Quality and "Customer Service", November 20, 2011
This review is from: Lewmar Pro 1000H Windlass (Electronics)
This is a good little windlass and successor to the Horizon 900 series. I bought the Horizon some years ago for over $1,000. Only used it for one season and boat has been sitting for last four years since I had to return to work. Re-retired this Spring and returned to check out boat systems prior to summer cruising. Windlass would not work. Diagnosed it and finally had to remove it. Discovered that water had gotten into the windlass and rusted the gears AND the motor. It turns out there were no seals between the shell parts and not one bit of sealant either. In re-reading the manual it says to disassemble the windlass annually. Who on earth does that? And even if you did what good would it do if there had been water sitting in the windlass for months? There is no mention of putting a cover over the windlass and Lewmar does not offer one. In the process of removing the solenoid, all the wiring tabs snapped off and I had to purchase a replacement. I was shocked at this shoddy design. Absolutely designed to fail. Contacted Lewmar and they were little help. Took no responsibility for the shoddy design. So in space of about five years with only one season of cruising I have invested about $1,700 on this windlass! All because of design flaws.

I bought this windlass to replace the old one since it fit the exact holes and space of the old design. Fewer shell parts but not sure there are any seals or sealant between the parts on this one either. Do like the stainless casing better but am worriedd about the longeviity of the windlass. We tried it out for a month of cruising and it seemed a little underpowered for a 38 foot boat but seemed to do OK.

I recently went back and read prior Practical Sailer reviews of windlasses. Lewmar did not fare well. Unless, like me, you are constrained by the footprint of a prior Lewmar windlass, my reccommendation would be to look at a diffferent brand that is built better and provides better customer service.