4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for Mobile Media

1.0 out of 5 stars DOA 2 times
Published on November 30, 2011 by S. Green

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for Mobile Media, July 6, 2011
Les Ferch (Pleasantville, NY) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lexar Echo ZX 32GB USB Backup Flash Drive LEHZX32GBSBNA (Personal Computers)
I bought this drive to use with a tablet TV in the car to play movies for the kids on long road trips. The small size ensures that it won't get knocked out of place and the large capacity holds a lot of DIVX files. The speed is easily good enough for my needs. In my testing, the write speed was slower than claimed, but still as fast or faster than any other flash drives I own. The formatted capacity, as expected, is 29.8 GB.

Here are my performance results using H2testw v1.4:

Writing speed: 8.64 MByte/s
Reading speed: 20.5 MByte/s

NTFS (32K blocks):
Reading speed: 21.6 MByte/s

As you can see, the file system type does not significantly affect the speed, but the block size (allocation unit size) does have an impact, as expected.

Tests were performed on Windows 7 32 bit on a ThinkPad T61 with anti-virus software disabled. USB ports were first tested with an external hard drive to ensure the system was not a bottleneck (I got over 20 MB/s write speed with a USB hard drive).

1.0 out of 5 stars DOA 2 times, November 30, 2011
Whatever you do don't buy this item. I ordered this from Amazon and when it arrived it was dead. As other reviewers have said basically you plug it in and it does nothing. Tried it on several different computers and some (Windows 7) just didn't recognize it and others (Windows XP) did recognize it but showed it to be a HD with 0kb of space and unable to be formatted. It sounds like for those who get lucky enough to have it work out of the box (BTW the second one I had Amazon send me also didn't work... again DOA right out of the box) tend to see these fail within a few weeks. Save yourself the hassle and go with another manufacture. There are plenty of people making these low profile thumb drives so there is no reason to buy this one with all the trouble people have had.

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible Product - 2 ordered - 1 DOA and 1 failed within 1 hour of use, October 17, 2011
Wow - what a terrible product. Ordered two of these with anticipation - good deal and 32GB in a small package.

1 was DOA...

The 2nd failed within an hour of use....

Lexar needs to go back to the drawing board on this one...

Horray for Amazon - AMAZING customer service / return policy ...

1.0 out of 5 stars Absolute Junk, November 29, 2011
RMAed the first one and Amazon quickly sent out its replacement. Same exact problem. Plug and play driver installed after inserting but whe I tried to read it the onscreen message said "Please insert disk". Tried it on everything from vista to xp PRO TO win 7 and Linux same result. IM'ed tech support they advised me to return it. Which I did and got my money back promptly from amazon. Once lexar gets there act together it may be worth while till then dont bother unless you like gambling on potential crap.

Lexar Echo ZX 32 GB backup drive (LEHZX32GBSBNA)

5.0 out of 5 stars It's fast! Fast fast fast! And tiny!, July 10, 2011
There isn't much I can add, really. I bought this to use in my car with the goal of having a USB drive which is as unobtrusive as possible. The USB drive also had to be fast enough to quickly load new MP3s on without taking a whole day to copy. Both goals are achieved in this amazing little flash drive! Writes are very quick and the read speeds are outstanding.

5.0 out of 5 stars so small, September 5, 2011
DA "DA" (Sacramento, CA) - See all my reviews
This is the tiniest flash drive ever. I bought it for my car stereo because I did not want something that would be getting in the way on my dash. This thing is great. I can't believe how small it is. As far as I can tell there is no difference between this and a regular usb flash drive.

1.0 out of 5 stars 2 out of 3 failed (One is dead on arrival, another one in less than a week), November 12, 2011
I should trust in the review. No more lexar product. I though it just some bad luck for the other people but seem to the product itself.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for Ford Sync, July 19, 2011
I bought this product for Ford Sync in my F-150. It is great. It holds more music then I can ever listen to and you can barely tell it's there. I don't have to plug and unplug devices.

1.0 out of 5 stars Stay Away, November 25, 2011
Concept is great, however the product did not work. I have 3 machines and it didnt work on any of them. XP, Vista and Win 7. Dont waste your time.

4.0 out of 5 stars Make sure you install the drivers, March 11, 2012
I thought this was DOA too like many of the other reviewers here. However if you go to Devices and Printers under control panel, it was there but unidentified. Windows gave me the option to "fix it" and I went ahead and did that; it found the driver, installed it and it worked fine. It's very tiny and a really useful thing to back up my computer on.