4.0 out of 5 stars Good value, good performance
Published 22 months ago by L. Kirk

3.0 out of 5 stars Read speeds are not as fast as Lexar advertises.
Customer Video Review     Length:: 2:29 Mins
Published 21 months ago by R. Hammer

3.0 out of 5 stars Read speeds are not as fast as Lexar advertises., June 27, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Length:: 2:29 Mins

I've tried out a couple USB 3.0 Flash Drives and this one does UNDERPERFORM compared to some of the other flash drives out there on the market. I knew there is a bunch of back and forth on the reviews of this drive and it's ability to maintain certain speeds, so I created this video to document my findings. If you find this video useful please click "yes".

Thanks!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good value, good performance, May 30, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The Lexar Jump Drive S73 (32 GB, orange) is a lightweight, plastic bodied USB 3.0 flash drive. I would not personally describe it as cheap, no more so than most of the flash drives I have owned which are typically made of plastic, and this plastic, while lightweight, seems quite durable. I have been using this flash drive daily for a week, and have encountered no problems during use. I typically place a portable browser on my day-to-day flash drive and run that at work so I don't leave web droppings (cookies, cache files, etc.) on my work PC. I occasionally download files also, nothing huge, so I run the drive pretty much 8 hours a day, with frequent reads and writes to the drive.

In general, I have to observe that it is important to do a bit of research before one hits the "Confirm Order" button. Wikipedia will tell you everything you want to know, and more, about the USB standards, and it takes only about 5 minutes to look over the speed section. It doesn't seem fair to fault a product for being deceptive when it states the operational speeds right on the product packaging and web site.

Anyway, back to the review ... in testing, I obtained the results listed below. Some people will give you benchmark results, which are certainly valid data, but are usually misleading since they do not account for all the many factors that exist in real-world use. I try to do comparisons that emulate real world use: copying files from a PC to a USB drive, in this case, using different file sizes and quantities of files. Both of these factors can have a big influence on the speeds observed when copying files.

My comparison was this product (Jump Drive 3.0=JD3) against a Lexar USB 2.0 Jump Drive (JD2), and a Lexar Triton USB 3.0 (LT3), all in corresponding ports. Testing was performed in a Dell XPS8500 PC with 8 GB of RAM and a Core i7 Ivy Bridge processor. All times are averages of 2 copy operations. The drive being reviewed is bolded.

Copy single 98 MB file:

JD2 19s
JD3 4s (note: took 5s when inserted in USB 2.0 port)
LT3 Avg. <1s

Copy 10 files, 250 MB total:

JD2 41s
JD3 10s (note: took 12s when inserted in USB 2.0 port)
LT3 8s

Copy a single 650 MB file:

JD2 88.5
JD3 21s (note: took 28s when inserted in USB 2.0 port)
LT3 7s

Copy ~4,400 files (~915 MB total):

JD2 9m 15s
JD3 4m4s
LT3 2m16s

Pros:

Faster than USB 2.0: In my testing, the Jump Drive USB 3.0 is typically 4x faster than a Lexar USB 2.0 flash drive, except on the torture test of copying over 4,000 files at a time. It was still more than 2x as fast as the USB 2.0 drive on that test, and about 2x as slow as the more expensive Triton drive. This Jump Drive 3.0 even tested faster than the USB 2.0 drive when it (JD3) was inserted in a USB 2.0 port, which kind of makes it worth considering even if you don't yet have USB 3.0 in your PC.

Color Coded by Size: Helps you distinguish among your flash drives if you keep multiple sizes.

Slide mechanism seems sturdier than most: I have used a half dozen or more different makes of flash drives with these sliding connectors. I generally do not like most of them. Many of them have no real stop mechanism, and actually retract as you push the connector into the USB port. One even does it deliberately ... a true paragon of poor design. However, this Lexar mechanism does have a secure "catch" once extended. You can push on it quite forcefully and it will not retract until you slide the actual retraction button.

3-year Warranty: More expensive Lexar drives, such as the Triton drive used in my product comparison, offer a lifetime warranty. This Jump Drive comes with a 3-year warranty. Really cheap drives come with a 1-year warranty.

Cons:

"Slow-ish" USB 3.0: Well, the USB standard states "up to 5 Gigabits/sec," (=625 MB/s) where USB 2.0 is "up to 480 Megabits/sec" (=60 MB/s). So those who state that this is a USB 2.0 drive are not correct, since the spec does not say that a drive must perform at the maximum speed. The product packaging and advertising state clearly that it is 3x faster with speeds of 45 MB/s (read) and 20 MB/s (write) than "standard Jump Drive USB 2.0 drives." And consider that the price is quite a bit lower than the ultrafast USB 3.0 drives. One could argue that this Jump Drive does offer increased speed over USB 2.0 at a budget price. Since Lexar does offer other faster USB 3.0 drives, it's clear that that is exactly the intent of this particular line of drives. Note, however, that in my testing, this Jump Drive 3.0 was typically 2-4x slower than the very fast Lexar Triton USB 3.0 drive I used for comparison.

Somewhat Wide Body: Like with the Triton USB drive, the body of this Jump Drive is a bit wide. While many PCs (e.g. Dell's XPS 8500) orient USB ports on the front of the case vertically (like this: ||), laptops and USB hubs often orient them horizontally ( - - ), and with the wider body that these flash drives have, it can be impossible to plug in 2 devices at the same time. Not just 2 flash drives, but one of these flash drives and anything else. I measure the width at about 2.3 cm.

Lexar is Still Using the World's Tiniest Lanyard: Honestly, it just makes me smile. I have no idea what use a lanyard this small has.

Bottom Line:

In daily use, I have found the Lexar Jump Drive to perform well and without any glitches or hitches. The speed in file copying operations is typically 4x faster in operation than a USB 2.0 flash drive, though about 2x slower than the more premium Triton flash drive. Still, with a performance boost even when used in a USB 2.0 port, and costing only half of the Triton drive, you get more bang for the buck with this all-plastic Jump Drive. If performance is of utmost importance, you might look to the Lexar Triton flash drives, which typically perform 2-4x faster than this drive.

1.0 out of 5 stars Great Size, but it failed in 3 months, December 9, 2012
This review is from: Lexar JumpDrive S73 64GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive LJDS73-64GASBNA (Green) (Personal Computers)
I really liked this USB Thumb Drive, at 64GB it could carry anything I needed between work and home. Then it stopped working. I would plug it in, the light would blink once or twice, and NOTHING.

I have tested it with a Sony Vaio, and MacBook Pro. Neither of them even see the drive.

If you do buy this, don't transport anything sensitive on it. 64GB of personal stuff is a lot to lose. :(

1.0 out of 5 stars Stopped working after only a few uses, December 22, 2012
Unfortunately only used it a few times. Then all computers in the house ( Apple and PC ) were unable to recognize the drive anymore.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Product, April 3, 2012
Delivery was a little slow. One problem was that it would not take large individual files, I contacted seller and was promptly given precise directions on how to re-format from Fat32 to Ntfs. Overall this is a very good and fast USB flash, and I am very pleased with seller response. Also I just received an unordered 3.0 Micro Sd to Usb adapter, very handy item, Thank you.

1.0 out of 5 stars Died after a few minutes, August 24, 2012
I copied an 8 gig file to it and about 100 photos. When I tried plugging it in my second computer, nothing happened. The orange light didn't even come on. Tried on my laptop, nothing. Nothing happens at all when you plug it in, not in Windows, Linux or Mac.

It's dead Jim.

Never had this happen with any USB thumb drive. I want my money back.

1.0 out of 5 stars Worked amazing for 1 DAY, April 19, 2012
It arrived right away and worked great... I backed up all my data on there and placed it on my keychain. nextday I plugged in to a computer and nothing. Tested it on 3 different computers and same results... I should have known better. Amazon refunded me right away.

1.0 out of 5 stars Died after loading 10GB of data., April 5, 2012
C. M. Killpack (West Jordan, UT USA) - See all my reviews
I purchased this item to replace a 32GB Jump Drive that was filling up. It arrived promptly using Amazon Prime one-day shipping. But that's when things wents downhill.

Upon receipt, I started copying over my data, and the unit stopped receiving after 10-12 GB had been copied. I ejected using the Windows 7 command, and when I put it back in the usb slot, it required reformatting before it could be used. This happened several times on several machines - all with Windows 7 32bit or 64bit OS.

Unfortunately, I discared the packaging so I couldn't return it to Amazon - so I've contacted Lexar for an RMA. It has not been received yet - but their on-line customer service was good to work with. The biggest issue will be the 15-20 days indicated that it will take to replace the unit. Not one of my better transactions or experiences.

Update: April 18, 2012...Have not received or heard anything yet on a replacement for this item. Hopefully something this week.

1.0 out of 5 stars Complete garbage, May 25, 2013
I was in a pinch and needed a USB 3.0 drive to do some OS installs so I stopped by my local officemax and picked this up. I quickly checked reviews on amazon and even tho they were mixed i decided to get it anyway. Boy do i regret it... I payed 30$ at the time and while I thought it was over priced, that turned out to not be the only issue. The write speeds, when it worked were disappointing. I also noticed my installs were failing more than usual, and finally today it just stopped working and only flashes. Wont show up on anything i attach it to. Thank god i backed up my files right before it died. Literally, the last thing it did was transfer my files to another drive. Do NOT take the chance. I dont write bad reviews often but this is just horrible. I hope i can at least get store credit for this piece of garbage.

1.0 out of 5 stars Slow Slow Slow, April 20, 2012
Griffy (Ft. Washington, PA USA) - See all my reviews
Unbearably slow, especially when filling it up. Was not as fast as my Corsair USB 2.0 drive. Marginal difference when attached to a USB 3.0 port. Lexar used to have great drives, the electronics on this one is clearly not up to snuff.

ARRAY(0xb07832b8)