Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Shop Women's Clothing Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Water Sports

on April 14, 2014
So I got this card and it was immediately apparent that it was faster than my older 400x cards. I guess that is to be expected. Anyway, I started to wonder just how fast it was. I guess it's pretty new, there were no official reviews on the internet of this card

I did find this thread on the Fred Miranda Forum. [...]. Unfortunately there was no data available for this particular 1066x card. So, I decided I'd add my own. (I'm vw151 on FM) Here is what I found.

1DX
12FPS
RAW

Lexar 32 GB UDMA 7 1066x ------------156 shots in a 30 sec burst

I did the test 2x got 155 once, 156 once

Another metric I thought might be useful in this thread was total size of the files produced to account for the difference in file size made by different cameras. The 1Dx vs the 1D4 for instance.

Anyway in both cases, my combined total file size was about 3.19GB Do the math and that works out to about 106MB/second. File sizes are about 21MB per image. I think the frames recorded plus this data gives a clear picture of the card's performance.

I have 2 cards. I'm gonna run the test 2 more times with the other card.

********************************************

OK

I did 4 more tests on the 2nd card but changed up the parrameters in the 2nd 2 tests.

155 shots 3.23GB RAW 12FPS Avg. 5.16 FPS 107.67MB/sec
148 shots 3.11GB RAW 12FPS Avg 4.9 FPS 103.67MB/sec

312 shots 1.57GB JPEG 12FPS Avg. 10.4 FPS 52.33MB/sec
324 shots 1.63GB JPEG 14FPS, Mirror Locked Avg. 10.8 FPS 54.33MB/sec

The interesting thing was, Jpeg @ 12FPS, It didn't sound like I ever got off the buffer but Jpeg @ 14fps it got into the buffer hard at about 10 seconds in. but it still made more pictures in 30 seconds.

I also see file transfer rates from the card to an SSD or RAID0 at around 115MB/sec.

Please keep in mind these are real world benchmarks, not lab tests. None the less, if I reproduced the test on the FM forum reasonably well it seems the write speed in a 1DX is no better than the 1000x which the tester managed 160 shots in 30 seconds. Nothing wrong with that as the 1066x is just the successor to the 1000x and it seems we are reaching the maximum of the CF interface with these cards.
22 comments| 80 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 31, 2014
This review is from my perspective as a photographer.
So there are times when "it's happening" (I shoot mostly concerts) and I cringe when the buffer on my camera fills and the shutter stalls and I see "that shot" being missed. If you have a camera that can take advantage of UDMA 7 (I shoot a Canon 5D Mark III and it can) and you need to make sure you get "that shot", then spend the dough and get this card.
It writes to the card fast enough that you can shoot full speed continuously - forever.
Spending thousands on a better lens doesn't mean a thing if the shutter doesn't click when you need it to.
22 comments| 56 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 14, 2014
I purchased the 16GB version, I was previously using (mostly) a pair of 16GB Lexar Professional 400x (60MB/s) cards.

I did a test to see how much faster this card was than the 400x. Lexar states that the 400x is rated at a guaranteed 60MB/s rate, where the 1066x is rated up to 160MB/s.

I am using these cards in a Canon 5D Mk II. During my test, I used manual mode with the following settings:

1/125 sec
F/4 @ 24mm
daylight WB
AF off
IS off
continuous shooting mode
ISO, see results below

I was shooting in RAW with all in camera corrections turned off (which is how I normally shoot anyways). I used a 10 second burst timed by using a timer. This was not scientific, so allow for +/- 1 frame margin of error.

400x
27 Frames @ ISO 100
25 Frames @ ISO 800
24 Frames @ ISO 1600
21 Frames @ ISO 3200
20 Frames @ ISO 6400
The burst would slow at 14-12 frames, depending on the ISO.

1066x
34 Frames @ ISO 100 (21% faster)
32 Frames @ ISO 800 (22% faster)
31 Frames @ ISO 1600 (23% faster)
29 Frames @ ISO 3200 (28% faster)
26 Frames @ ISO 6400 (23%faster)
The burst slowed at 17-16 frames, it was very consistent no matter what the ISO was.

Now, a 21-28% faster card may not seem to be impressive, but in practice it is very noticeable. One thing I did notice was that the buffer was clearing out 4-5 times faster with the 1066x over the 400x and when the shots started to slow, the 1066x was very consistent and slowed from about 4 frames to 2 frames a sec, in contrast, the 400x would slow to 1-1.5 and would hesitate sometimes.

Also, here is another thing to keep in mind; I'm using a camera that was designed and sold in 2008 If you are using a newer model DSLR, your results will most likely be more impressive.

I also did a download test to see how much faster it would download. I used a USB 3.0 SanDisk ImageMate all-in-one on a computer using Windows 7 64 bit. I shot 30 images of the same scene onto each card. The 1066x had 604 MB of info and the 400x had 603 MB. The 1066x downloaded them in 6.01 seconds and the 400x did it in 7.60 seconds.

My download test showed the 1066x being 21% faster, which is pretty consistent with the in camera results.

*An interesting side note; when I was shooting the 30 frames for the download test, the 1066x rate of fire stayed consistent all the way through the 30 frames, the 400x slowed considerably at 25 frames and was maybe doing a frame a second until the 30th frame. *

If you don't shoot action, weddings, wildlife, or some other fast changing or moving subject, this card will probably be over kill. If you do use the burst mode with any regularity, I would most definitely recommend getting one (if your camera supports this card).
on October 1, 2014
For the longest, I have been a loyal SanDisk fan. I have used nearly all of their SD & CF cards at various 15/30/45/60/80/90 MB/s speeds. Unfortunately, some of their faster CF cards were cost prohibitive. I don't particularly need anything above 60MB/s for photography and have used SanDisk's 32GB 60MB/s over the past 4-5yrs. However, recently with the advent of Magic Lantern's RAW video feature, I have been aching to try it out. Although Computerbay cards have had substantial success, I didn't trust the brand. B&H had an awesome sale on these Lexar 1066x and I couldn't resist. I purchased 2 of the 64GB because the 128GB doesn't sustain >90MB/s write speed for 1080p RAW (Magic Lantern) video.

With that been said:

This baby works like a charm! Absolutely flawless for RAW video on the 5D Mark III! Solid performance. 64GB equates to about 12min of RAW recording. So if you're planning on doing large RAW projects, I'd recommend buying several of these.

I have used these cards on multiple wedding photography gigs. Obviously the large capacity & speed is nice but not necessary. Again, they performed admirably.

On regular compressed video: performed flawlessly on the following cameras that I have used: 5D Mark III, 5D II, and 7D.
On the 5DIII, with compression, I was able to get about 4.5hrs of footage.
On the 7D (no option for compression size), I got about 3.5hrs footage.

Anyways, these are great cards! I rarely use my Sandisk CF cards anymore. These have been my go to cards for the last 3-4 months.
on July 3, 2015
My wife just brought this card to me where I am photographing on assignment overseas. I bought two, actually. One is fine, the other one is clearly very used and is DOA. They are only giving me just over two weeks to return it, but shipping from Africa is a month. Right this second, I only have a macro lens on me, but you can see the scratches in the attached picture...it also has a dent. This really upsets me. Ugh.
review image
on August 21, 2015
--Introduction--
Magic Lantern has changed the world of Canon EOS 5D Mark III – the ability to record 14-bit RAW video. And that also push the limit of CompactFlash card. You need a very fast CF card in order to capture 1080p RAW video. So what is the best CF card for 5D3? Is 128GB Lexar Professional 1066x CompactFlash Card the one? It has the ability to deliver a read transfer speed up to 160MB/s with UDMA 7 technology. Supports Video Performance Guarantee specification for professional-quality video (VPG-65) which mean 65MB/s writing speed minimum. Does Lexar 1066x CF really that great? Let’s find out…

--Performance Results--
What is the maximum writing speed for 128GB Lexar Professional 1066x CompactFlash Card? Well, Lexar did not mention it on the specifications – just said that write speeds lower than read one. However, website like B & H states that it has up to 155MB/s writing speed. Packaging box also mentions that. Let’s see the real world results…

128GB Lexar Professional 1066x CompactFlash Card manages to get 150MB/s read speed and 134MB/s write speed sequentially on CrystalDiskMark. And maximum 153MB/s read and 136MB/s write on ATTO Disk Benchmark. By the way, tests were done with Transcend USB 3.0 card reader with Windows 8. High transfer rate will definitely increase your productivity as lesser time is required to transfer photo and video. Plenty time to edit them.

The main part – the ability to capture 1920×1080 RAW video on Canon EOS 5D Mark III. Yes, it certainly capable to do so. However, it is only for 1920×1080 24p mode only. Not 30p mode as that require more than 103.6MB/s writing speed (and limited by 5d3 itself as its CF controller can write up to 100MB/s only). The test was run with Global Draw OFF. But rest assures that it can also record 1920×1080 24p with Global Draw On. By the way, you can record around 25 minutes 1920×1080 24p RAW video with this 128GB card. Take 64GB version if you don’t require to take long footage. As for normal photo shooting, it able to take burst mode up to 24 RAWs continuously.

--Summary--
128GB Lexar Professional 1066x CompactFlash Card is one of the fastest CF card out there. A great addition for high end SLR camera like Canon EOS 5D Mark III to capture RAW video with ML. Of course, it works great with Nikon and Sony SLR too.
review image review image review image review image review image
on June 15, 2014
I have benched marked this card versus the Sandisk Extreme (not the Pro) 128GB card This card is about 1/3 faster.

Overal Lexar makes great cards and 64 GB is lots of space. On a 20 Mega Pixel camera, 64 GB holds over 2,000 pictures. If we remember film days, that is equivalent to 60 rolls of film. Think about the cost of film and developing and you will realize that at $125 for this card (current price I just found on line), that is equivalent to $2 per roll of film!!

I know some people are concerned about losing their entire card at once, which I have not yet seen happen (except when the card is lost or stolen). Card failures tend to impact only a few images, most of the rest can be recovered.

Recommended if you need the fast cards available, otherwise save a few $ and get either the Lexar 800x or the Sandisk Extreme
on June 6, 2015
This worked well for about four months, then was no longer recognized by my camera, a Nikon D810, or my computer. It is apparently defective and I am out over $120 with no recourse. I will not purchase Lexar products again.

2015-11-10 update: If zero stars was an option, I would choose it. I paid to ship this back to Lexar for a replacement as promised with their warranty. After several weeks I received -- the same defective card I mailed in!! The exact card I returned was mailed back to me, with no cover letter or other paperwork. Worthless product and worthless company. I will never purchase a Lexar product again.
on October 3, 2014
I'm using this card to shoot RAW video on a Canon 5D MKIII (and MKII). In that reguard, it works without issue. For regular photography, this card's speed is quite nice when coupled with a USB 3.0 card reader. I can download a whole shoot (of RAW photos of course) in a few seconds.
on August 10, 2015
Finally, one fast enough for my camera. Since buying a Nikon D810, I was disappointed that the camera buffer took so long to write to the installed CF cards. The large file size from this camera seemed to be the issue. I bought this 1066x card, the fastest CF card on the market (that I know of) and now the buffer clears so quickly that I don't worry about turning the camera off prematurely. Also, I have enough capacity to shoot all day with no risk of filling it. Don't forget to download and activate the image rescue application that comes with this. If you lose the code on the enclosed paperwork, image rescue sells for about $35.