So I got this card and it was immediately apparent that it was faster than my older 400x cards. I guess that is to be expected. Anyway, I started to wonder just how fast it was. I guess it's pretty new, there were no official reviews on the internet of this card

Published 8 months ago by VW151

1.0 out of 5 stars Received a bad card, ruined images shot as Large RAW files.
Created corrupted file when shooting Large RAW files. Sent back.
Published 3 months ago by Billy Bateman

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Fast CF card, doesn't seem to be faster than the 1000x but that's ok, April 14, 2014
This review is from: Lexar Professional 1066x 32GB CompactFlash card LCF32GCRBNA1066 (Personal Computers)

I did find this thread on the Fred Miranda Forum. [...]. Unfortunately there was no data available for this particular 1066x card. So, I decided I'd add my own. (I'm vw151 on FM) Here is what I found.

1DX
12FPS
RAW

Lexar 32 GB UDMA 7 1066x ------------156 shots in a 30 sec burst

I did the test 2x got 155 once, 156 once

Another metric I thought might be useful in this thread was total size of the files produced to account for the difference in file size made by different cameras. The 1Dx vs the 1D4 for instance.

Anyway in both cases, my combined total file size was about 3.19GB Do the math and that works out to about 106MB/second. File sizes are about 21MB per image. I think the frames recorded plus this data gives a clear picture of the card's performance.

I have 2 cards. I'm gonna run the test 2 more times with the other card.

********************************************

OK

I did 4 more tests on the 2nd card but changed up the parrameters in the 2nd 2 tests.

155 shots 3.23GB RAW 12FPS Avg. 5.16 FPS 107.67MB/sec
148 shots 3.11GB RAW 12FPS Avg 4.9 FPS 103.67MB/sec

312 shots 1.57GB JPEG 12FPS Avg. 10.4 FPS 52.33MB/sec
324 shots 1.63GB JPEG 14FPS, Mirror Locked Avg. 10.8 FPS 54.33MB/sec

The interesting thing was, Jpeg @ 12FPS, It didn't sound like I ever got off the buffer but Jpeg @ 14fps it got into the buffer hard at about 10 seconds in. but it still made more pictures in 30 seconds.

I also see file transfer rates from the card to an SSD or RAID0 at around 115MB/sec.

Please keep in mind these are real world benchmarks, not lab tests. None the less, if I reproduced the test on the FM forum reasonably well it seems the write speed in a 1DX is no better than the 1000x which the tester managed 160 shots in 30 seconds. Nothing wrong with that as the 1066x is just the successor to the 1000x and it seems we are reaching the maximum of the CF interface with these cards.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you need the speed this is it., March 31, 2014
This review is from my perspective as a photographer.
So there are times when "it's happening" (I shoot mostly concerts) and I cringe when the buffer on my camera fills and the shutter stalls and I see "that shot" being missed. If you have a camera that can take advantage of UDMA 7 (I shoot a Canon 5D Mark III and it can) and you need to make sure you get "that shot", then spend the dough and get this card.
It writes to the card fast enough that you can shoot full speed continuously - forever.
Spending thousands on a better lens doesn't mean a thing if the shutter doesn't click when you need it to.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you shoot in burst mode or high ISO, this card is worth it., July 14, 2014
I purchased the 16GB version, I was previously using (mostly) a pair of 16GB Lexar Professional 400x (60MB/s) cards.

I did a test to see how much faster this card was than the 400x. Lexar states that the 400x is rated at a guaranteed 60MB/s rate, where the 1066x is rated up to 160MB/s.

I am using these cards in a Canon 5D Mk II. During my test, I used manual mode with the following settings:

1/125 sec
F/4 @ 24mm
daylight WB
AF off
IS off
continuous shooting mode
ISO, see results below

I was shooting in RAW with all in camera corrections turned off (which is how I normally shoot anyways). I used a 10 second burst timed by using a timer. This was not scientific, so allow for +/- 1 frame margin of error.

400x
27 Frames @ ISO 100
25 Frames @ ISO 800
24 Frames @ ISO 1600
21 Frames @ ISO 3200
20 Frames @ ISO 6400
The burst would slow at 14-12 frames, depending on the ISO.

1066x
34 Frames @ ISO 100 (21% faster)
32 Frames @ ISO 800 (22% faster)
31 Frames @ ISO 1600 (23% faster)
29 Frames @ ISO 3200 (28% faster)
26 Frames @ ISO 6400 (23%faster)
The burst slowed at 17-16 frames, it was very consistent no matter what the ISO was.

Now, a 21-28% faster card may not seem to be impressive, but in practice it is very noticeable. One thing I did notice was that the buffer was clearing out 4-5 times faster with the 1066x over the 400x and when the shots started to slow, the 1066x was very consistent and slowed from about 4 frames to 2 frames a sec, in contrast, the 400x would slow to 1-1.5 and would hesitate sometimes.

Also, here is another thing to keep in mind; I'm using a camera that was designed and sold in 2008 If you are using a newer model DSLR, your results will most likely be more impressive.

I also did a download test to see how much faster it would download. I used a USB 3.0 SanDisk ImageMate all-in-one on a computer using Windows 7 64 bit. I shot 30 images of the same scene onto each card. The 1066x had 604 MB of info and the 400x had 603 MB. The 1066x downloaded them in 6.01 seconds and the 400x did it in 7.60 seconds.

My download test showed the 1066x being 21% faster, which is pretty consistent with the in camera results.

*An interesting side note; when I was shooting the 30 frames for the download test, the 1066x rate of fire stayed consistent all the way through the 30 frames, the 400x slowed considerably at 25 frames and was maybe doing a frame a second until the 30th frame. *

If you don't shoot action, weddings, wildlife, or some other fast changing or moving subject, this card will probably be over kill. If you do use the burst mode with any regularity, I would most definitely recommend getting one (if your camera supports this card).

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice if you shoot Nikon and have a D4/D4s, otherwise to me it's overkill in terms of camera buffer off-loads, June 22, 2014
The fastest cameras I own are: (A) D800 and (B) D7100 The D7100 is SD-only, so that leaves me with the D800, D700, and D300s cameras that can use these CF cards. The D300s and D700 Card slots don't write NEARLY fast-enough to take advantage of these cards over my Lexar 1000x or even 800x cards. So while these DO offload faster to my computer through my USB 3.0 reader, there is no advantage to these for me beyond off-loading photos to my PC faster through the card reader. The D800 only fires at 4FPS when I use 14-bit RAW + JPEG Fine, so it's not like my shots come noticeably faster. Now with a D4/D4s I can see where there would be a big advantage with these cards. I imagine that the Canon camp will experience much of the same, but I can't say for sure since I never use Canon DSLR cameras myself. Either way, I am getting these so that I am future-proof when the next gen of Nikon cameras that use faster card writing become available...

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for RAW video, October 3, 2014
I'm using this card to shoot RAW video on a Canon 5D MKIII (and MKII). In that reguard, it works without issue. For regular photography, this card's speed is quite nice when coupled with a USB 3.0 card reader. I can download a whole shoot (of RAW photos of course) in a few seconds.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb for Magic Lantern RAW video!, October 1, 2014
For the longest, I have been a loyal SanDisk fan. I have used nearly all of their SD & CF cards at various 15/30/45/60/80/90 MB/s speeds. Unfortunately, some of their faster CF cards were cost prohibitive. I don't particularly need anything above 60MB/s for photography and have used SanDisk's 32GB 60MB/s over the past 4-5yrs. However, recently with the advent of Magic Lantern's RAW video feature, I have been aching to try it out. Although Computerbay cards have had substantial success, I didn't trust the brand. B&H had an awesome sale on these Lexar 1066x and I couldn't resist. I purchased 2 of the 64GB because the 128GB doesn't sustain >90MB/s write speed for 1080p RAW (Magic Lantern) video.

With that been said:

This baby works like a charm! Absolutely flawless for RAW video on the 5D Mark III! Solid performance. 64GB equates to about 12min of RAW recording. So if you're planning on doing large RAW projects, I'd recommend buying several of these.

I have used these cards on multiple wedding photography gigs. Obviously the large capacity & speed is nice but not necessary. Again, they performed admirably.

On regular compressed video: performed flawlessly on the following cameras that I have used: 5D Mark III, 5D II, and 7D.
On the 5DIII, with compression, I was able to get about 4.5hrs of footage.
On the 7D (no option for compression size), I got about 3.5hrs footage.

Anyways, these are great cards! I rarely use my Sandisk CF cards anymore. These have been my go to cards for the last 3-4 months.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality memory, fast and a great value, August 13, 2014
I bought this for a Nikon D810, a camera that requires a lot of IO when writing large files and recording HD video. It performs in every way.

5.0 out of 5 stars Blazin fast, May 25, 2014
Use it with D4s, at 11 fps, no delays. Transfers to PC via USB 3 are extremely fast. 5gb in less than a minute into Lightroom 4.

5.0 out of 5 stars Achieves RAW Video Recording Speeds, August 22, 2014
Handles recording RAW video files on Canon 5D MkIII @ 1920 x 1080 resolution 25p.
Very happy and would recommend to those using Magic Lantern RAW video recording.
This size CF Card allows about 25mins recording time at this resolution.

5.0 out of 5 stars A very satisfied customer, July 1, 2014
Gave me exactly 75 RAW burst shots at 12fps at ISO-200 on my 1D X before slowing down. The 76th and succeeding burst shots slowed down a bit but it was still fast at around 4fps.