4.0 out of 5 stars Minor problem upon arrival, good support from Lexmark
Published 14 months ago by N.W.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good printer, no wifi built-in and expensive toner
I had the chance to try this laser printer out and I'm happy with it. But it isn't perfect.

The printer will set you back a few hundred dollars, what you get is a massive machine that is built very solid. But you do wind up with something that takes up a good deal of space.

The biggest gripe I have about this printer is the lack of built in wifi...
Published 12 months ago by J. Haggard

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Good printer, no wifi built-in and expensive toner, December 30, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)

The biggest gripe I have about this printer is the lack of built in wifi connectivity. Every printer I have owned lately has built-in wifi including those in the $50 range, for Lexmark not to include that in this printer that is multi-hundreds of dollars is just a poor decision and for that I am knocking off 1-2 stars.

When first setting the printer up it will ask you a number of options like what features do you want available, just check mark the ones you do and leave the others blank and hit ok. The printer is then up and running. If you are like me you checked the "email" option but then get an angry red light blinking at you telling you no smtp servers are setup. I ultimately went in and reset to factory then just checked the "print" and "copy" options, left the other features off as I really wouldn't use them anyways.

To get this connected to the network I had to find a network cable, and a spot near my router. If it were wireless I had a great spot on my desk where my old printer was, no such luck. But once connected with a cat-5 cable it grabbed an IP and was ready to go in no-time.

I found that lexmark has an android app in the play store that you can download and I did, I set up my printer although I didn't like I had to specify the IP of it, sure would have been nice if the app scanned and found the printer. But that's a negative on the app not the printer.

At that point I loaded my resume up on my phone, hit the "share" button and selected the lexmark app, it had me select the printer and print settings like double sided, color, etc and I hit print, off it went and seconds later my resume printed from my phone.

The page was a bit curled, but it did go through the duplexer so I half expected that. The print quality was really good, no complaints.

The only other complaint I have is the cost of replacement toner. The high yield cartridge that amazon shows for this is $200, the printer is $250. For that I knock another star off, toner should not cost that much.

Other then that this printer is good. If they had included wifi in the printer it would have easily been 4 stars, lower the cost of the toner and it would hit 5. These 2 items are the only real negatives I found. Everything else about this printer is well thought out, easy to use and built solid.

4.0 out of 5 stars Minor problem upon arrival, good support from Lexmark, October 10, 2013
N.W. (Sacramento) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lexmark MX310dn Mono Laser MFP (Office Product)
Nice printer with the features I was looking for, which included an option for a second paper tray. Upon arrival the printer was making some pretty loud clicking noises when feeding paper. I contacted Lexmark technical support and they offered to send out a brand new printer (not refurbished) and send a shipping label for the old one since it was within the first 30 days which I thought was a good way to stand behind your products.

1.0 out of 5 stars Lexmark MX310dn A Real DOG LOSER, March 3, 2014
Bruce R. Senator (Orange County, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lexmark MX310dn Mono Laser MFP (Office Product)
I originally purchased a Lexmark x264dnw, but over the year I had it there was more downtime than uptime. Lexmark finally admitted there were several design flaws, and to resolve the issue Lexmark replaced it with an MX310dn in January 2014 (directly from Lexmark).

Initially I felt this newly released and designed MX310dn (received directly from Lexmark) was a "real winner". I even ordered a separate unit from Amazon [this Amazon unit was never taken out of the box]. However within 200 pages printed/copied it started "restarting on its own accord." Given the nightmare I had with the x264dnw, when this problem with the MX310dn became a regular occurrence, I just put it back into its original box, then immediately purchased BROTHER brand units (one MFC and one laser; each using the same drum and toner for efficiencies). [I went back to BROTHER units because over the many years I had used them, they ... "held up well".]

A few months later in July 2014 when I contacted Lexmark technical support on the MX310dn "restart" issue, they said "the problem is probably a power board problem"... AND "we are not going to honor the warranty". This even though the System Device Information page showed it was set up January 16, 2014 and last used March 18, 2014 with only 318 pages printed/copied.

I ended up having to bring a "war charge" with Lexmark's legal department back in Kentucky at which I just told them "Lexmark has never provided me one single unit which was not a lemon, and thus the only thing I will accept is a return with a full refund. I want Lexmark out of my life forever. I can never use, nor recommend a Lexmark product again".

Lexmark accepted their unit back and are returning all funds to me in full.
Amazon accepted their unit back and are returning all funds to me in full.

NOTE: Lexmark's own technical support staff stated they "were worried about the new units coming out because they contained many more parts and components, and this usually means more problems". Thus it appears Lexmark, by coming out with TOO MANY PRODUCTS (or varieties within a line) and BRINGING THEM OUT TOO QUICKLY, is SACRIFICING QUALITY.

Lexmark engineering is suffering.

Lexmark product manufacturing / quality control is suffering.

And when you speak with corporations who purchase or lease thousands of Lexmark units, their employees invariably say "Lexmark products require too much support. We have too much downtime".

Unfortunately, Lexmark rates a BIG BUYER BEWARE.

5.0 out of 5 stars Business class at consumer price, January 27, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
First thing to note is this laser printer comes delivered in its retail box, so if you're having it delivered to your home do keep in mind it may sit on your porch proudly announcing what it is. Perhaps arrange for a neighbor to grab it for you if you're out, although having said that it is fairly large and comes with a slightly unnecessary 'team lift' warning sticker so someone nabbing it off your property may have some difficulty.

After carefully unpacking everything you'll find a very serious looking laser printer cube staring at you. Sleek and glossy black like the newer epson printers this is not and it harks back to older says of beige HP multi-function all in ones.

Set up is equally businesslike, and whilst you can connect via USB clearly this device is designed to be hooked in via cat5 as a permanent networked printer. After downloading the drivers from Lexmark's site I was able to go in and set up the printer with ease and was printing in seconds via the us of a network cable.

Now I realize this is also a color scanner (although it's a mono printer) and also is a fax machine and neither option have I tried; I use this solely for bulk black and white printing and that's what my review will concentrate on.

When getting a laser printer I think that speed and cost per page is what most people will be looking at and that's where the Lexmark shines - two seconds per page on average. That's top rate at this price point. Next time you're printing a letter out from your inkjet take a moment to count the time from hitting print to getting your print out. Then imagine it just taking two seconds. Suddenly, especially on longer print runs, you begin to see the benefit of owning a laser.

In terms of cpp I see 2,500 toner cartridges for around $60 and 10k cartridges for anywhere from $80 to $150 at the time of writing this review. Even at the higher rate that's a huge saving over an inkjet. It goes without saying that ten thousand pages for a hundred or so is massively cheap and that, combined with the speed aspect, is what makes this an amazing printer at a great price.

An important point is like to address is that whilst technically this printer isn't wireless itself, you can print wirelessly to it once it's networked shared. I'm not sure why other reviewers aren't pointing this is out and are docking stars as a result. You can even get mobile apps to allow for phone printing although I haven't tried that.

This printer is great. It does have foibles such as no wifi, cat5 connection and so on and I feel that's a result of this being a business printer designed to slot into a business core network. Once you realize that it won't hand-hold you during installation and you take into account all pros and cons, I think you'll appreciate this for being one of the fastest and cheapest mono printers that you'll own.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great printer, but a bit limited when connecting via USB, January 23, 2014
Steve (Richmond, VA USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I do a lot of mono color printing, including printing of 200+ page user manuals that come on CD with every device I buy these days (nobody offers hard copies of user manuals anymore). With taking 20+ minutes to print out manuals and going through at least 1 black ink cartridge per month printing shipping labels on my inkjet, I was looking for something a bit more economical, and preferably faster. I got the Lexmark MX310dn laser printer to fill that need and it's been flawless in that respect.

Setup was simple... plug it in, run through a few steps on the printer's menu, and it was up and running in a couple of minutes. The unit itself is very impressive... well built, boots up quickly, and holds a LOT of paper, so there's little need to interact with it other then picking up my printouts.

It's been 20 years since I last owned a laser printer, and even back then the print was very sharp and professional looking. Printing my first page on the Lexmark brought me back to those days... font quality as amazing. I've always been happy with my inkjets' text quality, but when I compare them to a laser, they're no where near as good.

First thing I did was print out the MX310's user guide... 269 pages. I started it up, went to make some coffee, and about five minutes later came back to find the whole manual printed out and waiting for me. I followed up with printing various items, from envelopes to shipping labels on adhesive paper... everything printed fast and perfect. In the last two weeks I've printed roughly 1,200 pages, without a single problem. That would easily been four or five black ink cartridges with my old inkjet at roughly $15 each.

I've faxed only once and scanned a few documents, all of which worked out perfectly. My only complaint would be the user manual itself and the way the entire printer seems to be set up for network printing... I connected my MX310 to my computer via the USB cable, but the manual seems to assume that everyone is connecting it via ethernet cable. The USB cable is mentioned briefly in the manual, but it seems as if USB connectivity was added late and the manual was edited to include it. The problem is any advanced settings, such as for the scanner, the manual tells you to point your web browser to the IP address the printer is assigned to when you first set it up... since I'm using USB and not ethernet, my printer doesn't have an IP address and I cannot access the advanced settings. In an email to tech support, I was told that the advanced settings were 'not that important' and I should use an ethernet cable if I really needed them. What's the point of having a USB port if the printer doesn't operate 100% when using it?

As for the toner complaints, people are often shocked at the cost of toner replacements, however my black inkjet cartridge costs $14 plus tax at my local Staples store and lasts 200-250 sheets. I've already printed enough pages on my MX310 that would have cost me about $75 in ink cartridges on my inkjet, which is the cost of another toner... and if the 2,500-page toner holds true, I'm only halfway through this one. There's a high-yield toner available at three times the price, but offers four times the capacity. Sounds like a good deal to me...

Aside from my disappointment regarding the USB connectivity, I'm extremely satisfied with this printer. It's very fast, amazingly sharp, and is saving me money every time I print.

5.0 out of 5 stars Better Than Expected, GREAT Paper Handling, Superb iOS Printing, January 3, 2014
PD (Scottsdale, AZ) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Update, 4/4/2014: This printer continues to amaze. The paper handling is so much better than other units in its class. The logic in the printer's firmware is also quite smart. It starts warning you that your toner is low way in advance, then again when you have approximately 300 pages left. We ran it down to see what would happen and when it was almost out during a big print job, it actually counted down the last 20 or so pages to let us know when it would be out of toner. NO surprises with this unit. Once I switched cartridges, it picked right up as expected and finished the job. Also, the scanning to your PC from this unit really works well and fast, that's been a joy and a half. Lexmark recently updated the iOS printing app and it REALLY works well now. Did you ever return an item to Amazon and get to the page where you hit the gold print button to get the barcoded return sheet and the shipping label? Works fine on a PC or Mac, but in native iOS printing that may not work, iOS AirPrint tends to try and print the screen. But the Lexmark app on my iPad has NO trouble performing like a real PC, I hit the print button and everything prints exactly as it should. You get the choices to print dual sided or not right on the iPad, and it even send back a popup if the toner is low. THAT'S pretty big, that means the app is controlling a lot more communication between the printer and the iPad then Airprint has ever offered.

==========================
Original Review:
I've owned a slew of the "affordable All-in-one" laser units, my last being the Canon MF3240. The affordable ones do give you all of the multi features of print/scan/copy, etc, but at a cost of lousy paper handling, expensive toner and paper jam issues. This Lexmark MX310 is WAY better in construction and function, hands down. I wondered what I would get for a unit that costs 3 times the price of the entry-level units that I catch on sale, and now I know. The paper handling on this unit is excellent, everything prints straight and you can tell by the sound of the unit that it's solid. The old Canon would always print intermittently crooked here and there and print quality wasn't top notch. The print quality of this Lexmark is outrageously sharp and I'm only running at 600dpi, it can be set higher. We just ran 150 church bulletins across it and every one printed straight, and FAST, it finished in about 5 minutes.

Scanning and copying are a breeze as the Lexmark has a document feeder on the top for when you are scanning or copying letter-sized documents. For smaller sheets or photos you can lift up the doc feeder and place items right on the glass. You can easily scan to any PC on the network or even a network drive if you have one, which means you can scan right to DropBox or SkyDrive which is great. I've seen complaints about the scanning in other reviews but it works fine for me. Maybe I don't have enough stuff to scan other than receipts, etc.

The printer also has a very good manual document feeder which I use for FedEx and USPS labels that come on Letter-sized sheets. The old Canon I had was pretty bad, you had to hold the paper until the rollers grabbed it and hope that it was straight which it never was. This Lexmark has a fold-out feeder with adjustable guides which works REALLY well, and the few labels I've printed so far have been perfectly straight. And because the manual feeder guides are adjustable it allows envelopes to print straight as well, a nice feature I'm not used to having, lol.

Setup: This is probably the one not-so-hot attribute to this printer, the network setup is a bit weird. You have to navigate through the on-screen menus to figure out which setting you're really supposed to be doing. Whoever wrote the menu system needs some serious instruction in User Interface design. The printer has this loud annoying beep when something isn't setup correctly at first which includes Fax settings. I gave the Fax section a bogus name and number and it seemed happy, but that shouldn't be mandatory, Faxes are on the way out so not everyone uses it. But the one setting that might hang people up is that it requires you to put in your home network name. That's basically the IP address of your home router which is usually 192.168.1.1, but how many folks know that? I found that weird, that it demanded that, because it was already assigned an IP address on my network when it was turned on and the Cat 5 cable was plugged in. At any rate, once you input the IP address, all of the network functionality works well.

Speaking of network, I have to say that the way Lexmark handled printing from iOS devices is outstanding. At first it seems a bit cumbersome because you have to install the Lexmark printing app. However, that app integrates with practically everything in my iPad and makes printing a breeze. I feel like I have true usable printing from the iPad and iPhone, finally! For instance, I went to the manufacturer's website for a device in my PC (a CPU cooler) and the mounting instructions opened in my Safari browser as a PDF. Like always, I tapped on the screen and the "Open in..." prompt appeared. I noticed the Lexmark printing app was listed so I opened it in that, and iimediately was shown a screen where I could choose 2-sided printing plus a box where I could type in the number of copies I wanted. I hit PRINT and the printer fired right up. The printout was perfectly aligned and looked like I printed from a PDF on my PC. Seriously awesome. I feel like I have laptop-like control over printing on my iPad now. This printer is not wireless, it takes a network cable, but any iOS devices on the network can print once you download the free app.

Last topic, toner: The high yield toner seems outrageously expensive at first, I just bought one on Amazon for $203 (the printer comes with a starter cartridge). That sounds crazy at first until you realize it's for 10,000 copies. My old cheap Canon took cartridges that were $75 but yielded only 2,500 copies, so that's $300 for 10,000. I may have spent $203 for toner but it'll last years with the light printing I do in my home office.

Also, my son has a MacBook Air and he was able to install the drivers and print with no issues as well, so Win/Mac/iOS all pass the test.

Great unit, couldn't be happier. Maybe it will fail over time like another reviewer stated, but I'll report back if that happens.

4.0 out of 5 stars Duplexing is fantastic and the print speed is great., June 27, 2014
Justin E. Davis "OntologicalShock" (Johnson City, TN, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lexmark MX310dn Mono Laser MFP (Office Product)
I work with Lexmark products in my day-job so when it came time to upgrade from my $30 DeskJet, I chose this model. Being familiar and certified to work on it is one bonus, but pretty personal so I can't recommend it on those merits. I can recommend it as a more than adequate small business printer or a stellar home printer, especially since it is a network printer. Installation on your client computers is a breeze: plug in the power, plug it into your router via Ethernet cable, and it's visible and useable by all your Windows based home PCs.

Note: Make sure there is clearance for the flatbed scanner to open; you've got the ADF feeder on top of it which adds dimensions to the lid. Also be patient with the letter feeder tray; it's lazy and really only good for one at a time. Fold your peel and stick flap into the envelope before you run it through to help prevent the fuser from melting the adhesives.

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid workhorse for home office/small business use, February 1, 2014
Sibelius (Palo Alto, CA USA) - See all my reviews
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Lexmark's MX310dn is a solid, monochrome laser printer that will reliably fulfill most of your medium to high volume daily print needs with the only downside being its large physical footprint that jumps out at you if what you're accustomed to are more svelte and low-profile home printers. However, if style consideration is not an issue what you'll ultimately end up is a cost effective device that will take care of your document needs (printing, copying, scanning, faxing) over the long haul.

NOTE: At the time of this review posting I've used this printer for 4+ weeks with near daily use for home office and family needs, averaging approximately 300 printed pages per week.

THE GOOD:
+ Document print quality is excellent. The 1200x1200 dpi quality satisfies and with a performance of 35 ppm this is a very fast performer.
+ The duplex print functionality (printing on both sides of the paper) is wonderful if you're eco conscious and trying to save on paper!
+ Document feeding is excellent. This is the first printer I've owned where a jam has yet to occur.
+ Scanning/copying is simple, easy and reproduces very well. There is an upper document feeder for paper scanning or you can utilize the glass surface for non standard elements (eg - photos).
+ This is a networked printer (not wireless though) and was easily detected on my home network once plugged into my wireless router. I have 2 desktops that are physically connected to the router and upon installing the software, both devices could access the printer. I also utilize Lexmark's iOS app on my phone and iPad to access the printer.
+ The printer is silent when not in use or in sleep mode. When printing the sound is about what you'd expect.

NOT SO GOOD:
+ Footprint is large! It stands about 18 inches high and weighs over 50 pounds so do keep this in mind if such concerns are a factor. In my opinion the size is justified for the duplex print functionality.
+ If you plan on utilizing the email and FTP features you'll need some above average networking skill. Its nothing too difficult mind you, but if you're not familiar with the terminology you'll likely need some assistance on this front.

5.0 out of 5 stars Business class printer, January 4, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is by far the best printer I have ever owned. I am so happy with it for many reasons. While the set up of most of the printers I have owned was easy, this one was even easier. I just put the CD in the computer, it ran, I turned on the printer and it was done. There wasn’t some 10 pages of test pages or anything like that too (there were no test pages and it worked perfect on the first print). All of the controls and functions are easy to use. I am sure the rest of the functions I have not tried yet will be just as easy to use too. I mostly just use printers for printing and scans/copies anyway.

This is a pretty big printer, the kind I am used to seeing at office at work (the smaller kind that they have). It is probably twice as high as my last printer, but that isn’t a problem for me. The on/off switch is in the back of the printer (again, not a problem for me). This printer is not wi-fi and it does not come with a cable to connect it to your computer. This is not a problem for me as I just used the cable I had from my last printer. Most office printers are not wi-fi as that would be a total mess with trying to figure out where the print job went. I am sure some people want something small or wi-fi, but these are not important issues for me.

This printer takes the large size toners that cost a lot more than those small ones, but they also print a lot more pages. I am sure if you did the math, this costs a lot less per page. The toner gets some 10,000 pages; even if the ink costs $200, compared to the printer I was using before this one, that is about 5-10% of the cost I was paying for ink per page. This is probably what I am most happy about. I will not have to buy ink for a long time and when I do, it will not be nearly as costly as what I have been paying for the last few years. The pages also come out fast and the paper feed is large and doesn’t have issues.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great small office or personal all-in-one lazer printer/copier/scanner/fax/email, October 28, 2013
This review is from: Lexmark MX310dn Mono Laser MFP (Office Product)
The documentation was a little difficult to manage. The printer is easy to set up once the documentation is conquered. I tried to use the manual but ended up using the supplied CD web based installation/setup program. The documentation doesn't make it clear how to use all of the capability of this printer. I still have not figured out how to email from it directly. Once I figure something out then I kind of get an Oh feeling and it seems simple.
Tried to set it up from the little printer control panel and it was too confusing.
For some reason, when it goes to sleep, it doesn't wake up when I send it something to print. I have to walk over to the printer and touch the menu button. As soon as I do it awakens, warms up and prints.

The monitor program is too aggressive. I have another Lexmark and it also grabbed the control of that printer and decided the new 310dn should be the default printer. Trouble is I didn't want the new one to be the default on every computer I installed the software on. I finally solved the problem by leaving the print driver installed but I deleted the monitor program from that computer.

Even so, I think this is a great printer and well worth the effort to set up. You may need more expertise than a typical HP inkjet takes to set it up though.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›