Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon St Lucia easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty V-Day Valentine's Day Cards Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now SnS

Style: PrinterChange

Style: PrinterVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I had the chance to try this laser printer out and I'm happy with it. But it isn't perfect.

The printer will set you back a few hundred dollars, what you get is a massive machine that is built very solid. But you do wind up with something that takes up a good deal of space.

The biggest gripe I have about this printer is the lack of built in wifi connectivity. Every printer I have owned lately has built-in wifi including those in the $50 range, for Lexmark not to include that in this printer that is multi-hundreds of dollars is just a poor decision and for that I am knocking off 1-2 stars.

When first setting the printer up it will ask you a number of options like what features do you want available, just check mark the ones you do and leave the others blank and hit ok. The printer is then up and running. If you are like me you checked the "email" option but then get an angry red light blinking at you telling you no smtp servers are setup. I ultimately went in and reset to factory then just checked the "print" and "copy" options, left the other features off as I really wouldn't use them anyways.

To get this connected to the network I had to find a network cable, and a spot near my router. If it were wireless I had a great spot on my desk where my old printer was, no such luck. But once connected with a cat-5 cable it grabbed an IP and was ready to go in no-time.

I found that lexmark has an android app in the play store that you can download and I did, I set up my printer although I didn't like I had to specify the IP of it, sure would have been nice if the app scanned and found the printer. But that's a negative on the app not the printer.

At that point I loaded my resume up on my phone, hit the "share" button and selected the lexmark app, it had me select the printer and print settings like double sided, color, etc and I hit print, off it went and seconds later my resume printed from my phone.

The page was a bit curled, but it did go through the duplexer so I half expected that. The print quality was really good, no complaints.

The only other complaint I have is the cost of replacement toner. The high yield cartridge that amazon shows for this is $200, the printer is $250. For that I knock another star off, toner should not cost that much.

Other then that this printer is good. If they had included wifi in the printer it would have easily been 4 stars, lower the cost of the toner and it would hit 5. These 2 items are the only real negatives I found. Everything else about this printer is well thought out, easy to use and built solid.
44 comments8 of 8 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 26, 2015
Updated with HOW TO GET FAXES OUT OF IT IF IT STOPS FTP FORWARDING

I now have a sample size of two of these in two separate locations, both purchased because they (as with an older larger model at another customer) can easily be set up to forward received faxes to an FTP server instead of printing them. I do not expect to purchase any more of these unless a new firmware (they're both on current P454/511 as of 1/26/2015) fixes the FTP problems.

I've now had fax forwarding to FTP simply stop working on both units, one of which is less than 2 weeks old. This was resolved once by factory resetting the unit and redoing settings, but a second time the procedure detailed below appears to have fixed it. I've also contacted Lexmark support about this with an offer of the Wireshark network traffic logs and have heard nothing beyond the automated "we've received your message" responses. It's not a communication problem, because scanning from the same device to the same destination works - it appears to be something internally that hangs up the queue FTP forwarding of faxes only.

The symptom seems to be that a fax gets "stuck" being processed for FTP, the transfer fails (receiver logs show a timeout after 2 minutes with no data received), and that's the end of it. If the device is set to Forward-only mode, you can eventually get it to print out the stuck faxes by fiddling with it and/or restarting, but I'm worried about losing received faxes in that process, and leaving it set for "Print and Forward" is just a waste of paper since the printed faxes will just end up having to be scanned in later.

As for the roller problems, the older of the units went in early last year, and started having serious ADF problems within 20,000 pages - not good for a fax machine in a doctor's office that's also being used for some scanning, particularly when I compare it to Brother systems where I've seen well over 100,000 pages scanned through ADFs. In that case I ended up replacing the roller (cheaper for the customer to just buy one and have me install it than to pay for me to spend time working through Lexmark support), but that's seriously premature wear - they're scanning regular office paper, not sandpaper. This wasn't a software or sensor problem either - this was the device failing to grab paper.

Overall, two separate and completely unrelated major flaws that prevent proper use of the units in a business environment. Unacceptable.

Update:
If you have one of these that is set to Forward only for handling received faxes but you stop receiving them you can check the Fax Job Log (either by printing or via the web interface). Every received Fax Job will show a line for RECV plus at least one line of either FTP or PRINT. If you have RECV lines with no other handling, the received jobs are still in the printer.
To get the "stuck" jobs to print, go in via the web UI and go into Settings > Fax Settings > Analog Fax Setup. Scroll down to Fax Receive setup and change it to "Print and Forward." Save the settings, then turn off the printer and disconnect the network cable. Start the printer back up with the network cable disconnected; you should get a stack of "Scan Log" error pages indicating a failure to send to the FTP server, followed by a printout of each received fax. If this doesn't trigger automatically, use the control panel on the printer to print a Fax Job Log - I have printed this first most of the time, so I'm not sure if it's actually required first.
The first time I encountered this problem it seemed that I had to do a factory reset of the printer to get forwarding working again, but the most recent time after following these steps forwarding started to work again.
on April 7, 2015
Bought a Lexmark MX310dn from my local Club C****o store. According to the specs from the Lexmark website and Downloadable Manual this printer can be made Wireless by purchasing a Marknet N8352 Wireless adapter and connecting it to the printer. Here is the direct quote from page 23 of the Manual: "Purchase a MarkNet N8352 wireless network adapter first before setting up printer on a wireless network."

Well I did as they instructed and purchased the MarkNet N8352 Wireless Adapter - this adapter is designed to connect to the printer through USB. The problem however is that this printer DOES NOT HAVE A USB PORT (see photos of front and back of printer - no USB anywhere). I was on the phone with Lexmark Technical Support for 30 minutes while they transferred me to different techs to try and figure out the problem, eventually the line went dead and I was disconnected.

I definitely will never trust the Lexmark Company documentation in the future - this is the first and last Lexmark I will ever buy and its going back to C****o tomorrow.
review image review image
on March 3, 2014
I originally purchased a Lexmark x264dnw, but over the year I had it there was more downtime than uptime. Lexmark finally admitted there were several design flaws, and to resolve the issue Lexmark replaced it with an MX310dn in January 2014 (directly from Lexmark).

Initially I felt this newly released and designed MX310dn (received directly from Lexmark) was a "real winner". I even ordered a separate unit from Amazon [this Amazon unit was never taken out of the box]. However within 200 pages printed/copied it started "restarting on its own accord." Given the nightmare I had with the x264dnw, when this problem with the MX310dn became a regular occurrence, I just put it back into its original box, then immediately purchased BROTHER brand units (one MFC and one laser; each using the same drum and toner for efficiencies). [I went back to BROTHER units because over the many years I had used them, they ... "held up well".]

A few months later in July 2014 when I contacted Lexmark technical support on the MX310dn "restart" issue, they said "the problem is probably a power board problem"... AND "we are not going to honor the warranty". This even though the System Device Information page showed it was set up January 16, 2014 and last used March 18, 2014 with only 318 pages printed/copied.

I ended up having to bring a "war charge" with Lexmark's legal department back in Kentucky at which I just told them "Lexmark has never provided me one single unit which was not a lemon, and thus the only thing I will accept is a return with a full refund. I want Lexmark out of my life forever. I can never use, nor recommend a Lexmark product again".

Lexmark accepted their unit back and are returning all funds to me in full.
Amazon accepted their unit back and are returning all funds to me in full.

NOTE: Lexmark's own technical support staff stated they "were worried about the new units coming out because they contained many more parts and components, and this usually means more problems". Thus it appears Lexmark, by coming out with TOO MANY PRODUCTS (or varieties within a line) and BRINGING THEM OUT TOO QUICKLY, is SACRIFICING QUALITY.

Lexmark engineering is suffering.

Lexmark product manufacturing / quality control is suffering.

And when you speak with corporations who purchase or lease thousands of Lexmark units, their employees invariably say "Lexmark products require too much support. We have too much downtime".

Unfortunately, Lexmark rates a BIG BUYER BEWARE.
11 comment5 of 6 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 10, 2013
Nice printer with the features I was looking for, which included an option for a second paper tray. Upon arrival the printer was making some pretty loud clicking noises when feeding paper. I contacted Lexmark technical support and they offered to send out a brand new printer (not refurbished) and send a shipping label for the old one since it was within the first 30 days which I thought was a good way to stand behind your products.
on February 24, 2015
Don't buy these, they are junk. I work at a government agency that uses these printers for small workgroups. The last 2 we received were out of box failures, would not detect paper in the paper tray. They are noisier than the original MX310's when they do work. Buy at your own risk, these things are GARBAGE!!!
Style: PrinterVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Right out of the box, I discovered that the toner had spilled out all over the toner cartridge compartment. It was a huge mess! The package also did not come with an installation CD. Grrr...

After cleaning up the mess, downloading the driver from the Lexmark Website, and installing the driver, I proceeded to print out a test page -- and found 4 big steaks right down the page. So, I performed another round of cleaning -- this time more thorough -- on the imaging unit (taking care not to damage the drum), the cartridge, and the interior of the printer. Still, no go. After spending a few hours of troubleshooting (and more cleaning), the streaks remained. *sigh*

Okay, maybe I got a bad imaging unit (which might have gotten damaged during shipping), but I don't fault Lexmark for that. Lemons happen, and I can accept that. So that's not why I rated this printer 3 stars. I really didn't care for this printer. Here's why:

(1) Clunky Scanning To Your Computer
To scan to your computer, you need to open up a browser and type in the IP address of the printer and hit go. After the page loads, click on the Scan Profile link, configure the scan parameters (such as DPI, file type, JPEG quality, etc.), and hit submit. (The app runs on Java, so you need to have Java installed on your browser.) You will then receive a confirmation page and given the shortcut key to initiate scanning on the printer (e.g. "#1" or "#2"). The shortcut key is valid for as long as the browser page is kept open. If you close the page and reopen it later on, you're going to have to run through the whole configuration process again to scan to your computer.

(2) No Duplex ADF (Automatic Document Feeder) Scanning
Maybe I'm spoiled by my Canon MX870 (which does duplex ADF scanning), but duplex scanning is SWEET! But alas, this Lexmark doesn't do duplex scanning.

(3) No Way To Disable Error Printing
There IS a way to disable error printing for errors encountered during faxing, but NO way (at least no way I was able to find) to disable error printing when an error is encountered during scanning. To me, it's a waste of paper, and I do find the fact that you're unable to disable this "feature" extremely irksome!

The printer does have some good points. It warms up fairly quickly from a cold start (about 10-15 seconds), and once warmed up, it takes 2-3 seconds to print a page. The duplex printing is lightning FAST! It takes 4-6 seconds to print both sides of a page! Additionally, the scanner is the fastest I've ever used -- 8 seconds flat to scan a page, regardless of the resolution. The quality at 600 DPI is very, very good.

However, despite having some very nifty features, I can't get past the cumbersome scanning procedures and the lack of duplex ADF scanning feature (I do a LOT of duplex scanning). If you're using this printer unit primarily for PRINTING, it's definitely worth considering. If, like me, you do a lot of scanning, you might want to keep looking.
on January 15, 2015
Overall a very reliable machine. Lexmark support is very good. We were initially having issues with scanning to our 2012 Server and contacted Lexmark and they provided us a beta firmware (which as of October 2014 is now public) and that resolved the problem. We have 4 of these in our office. Some have 100,000+ pages on them and have had the imaging unit replaced, which is fairly inexpensive compared to the toner...

The toner is the worst part of this printer. Lexmark is clearly subsidizing the unit with inflated toner cost. Even the high yield toner at $200 can't compete with similar HP toner yield at that price. We have a Lexmark x651de (basically the enterprise version of the MX310dn) and although it's toner is twice as much, it yields around 3x as many pages.

So although it loses a star simply because of the toner, it's kind of a bittersweet arrangement because at the retail price of the toner, the printer simply isn't price-competitive in the long run. HOWEVER, the reason we have four of them, is because the toner is refillable. It is a complicated process because there is a smart chip in the toner that needs to be replaced as well, but we can refill genuine Lexmark cartridges with kits for $40 at least twice before the toner cartridge internals wear out. This makes the printer VERY affordable to operate. And compared to HP's in the similar price range (Laserjet Pro 400 MFP) it's more reliable, scans faster, and handles more paper. The HP cartridges are also significantly more difficult to refill (it takes more than a Philips screwdriver.)

Overall, recommended. Just research refilling the toner. It's not as messy as you think. I regularly refill our office cartridges in 5 minutes. Just do it over the sink or newspaper and you'll be fine.
on June 30, 2014
UPDATE Dec 2015: Ready for the bone yard!! Well it's the end of 2015 and the printer is sending me the "blue screen of death" which requires a reboot of the printer several times a day. Printer was good for about one year. Now it's a piece of junk waiting for recycle. DO NOT BUY THIS UNIT!!!!! I WAS WRONG ABOUT HOW GREAT THIS WAS.
----------------------------------
This printer is also very quiet! The printer comes "alive" for a few seconds every hour or so. Be aware because it might startle you. Below are some hints for an easy setup. I'm using Windows 7.0.

Helpful hints!!!

GENERAL SETUP ISSUES
1. I first selected to install all functions which was a big mistake. I quickly realized I won't be using SMTP or the FAX right away and there is no way to turn the functions off. You will have constant errors/ and or lights flashing. You have to re-initialize the printer all over again selecting from the home menu: SETTINGS; SETTINGS; GENERAL SETTINGS; RUN INITIAL SETUP and then check again what you really want installed.

2. I loaded a few sheets to try the copy function out but it did not pull any paper from the tray. Customer support said to clean the rollers in the paper tray area with alcohol. This did the trick!

SCANNING ISSUES
1. I wish the printer had a USB port to scan to. It doesn't so you have to setup to scan back to your computer which is ok but sometimes not practical. Here's where the problems start. Read the directions carefully before you try to set this function up. You have to install JAVA which unfortunately this printer doesn't like the current version. The workaround is: after you install JAVA, you must go into the JAVA Control Panel (from the Windows start menu), select CONFIGURE JAVA, select SECURIUTY TAB, then select EXCEPTION SITE LIST, then edit, then add, http://xx.xx.xx.xx IP address of the printer (see step 2).

2. To find the IP address of the printer, do the following (Windows 7): From START MENU, select DEVICES AND PRINTERS, then right click PRINTER PROPERTIES, then select PORTS, then select CONFIGURE PORTS. You will see the printer IP address. Write it down or do the "copy and paste thing" . You will need this address back in Step 3. Remember to proceed the address with the http://

3. It might also be a good idea to save the printer menu to your menu bar in case you need to change some settings quickly. To do this: type the printer IP address (see above procedure)in your browser and olah! the printer page ops up. From here just save it as a favorite to to the menu bar. You will need this page open when scanning back to your computer!

FAX- The directions (downloaded pdf setup file) are very clear in setting up the fax. I used a dedicated line to avoid issues.

SCAN TO E-MAIL: tba (to be addressed later)

I had to call customer support which was very helpful. There was no wait time. I will post more as I dive deeper into this machine. I'm not a "power user" as some so I will only deal with the simple aggravations. I like this printer but it is NOT for the truly simple minded. It takes some work to set it up to use all the functions.
Style: PrinterVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I do a lot of mono color printing, including printing of 200+ page user manuals that come on CD with every device I buy these days (nobody offers hard copies of user manuals anymore). With taking 20+ minutes to print out manuals and going through at least 1 black ink cartridge per month printing shipping labels on my inkjet, I was looking for something a bit more economical, and preferably faster. I got the Lexmark MX310dn laser printer to fill that need and it's been flawless in that respect.

Setup was simple... plug it in, run through a few steps on the printer's menu, and it was up and running in a couple of minutes. The unit itself is very impressive... well built, boots up quickly, and holds a LOT of paper, so there's little need to interact with it other then picking up my printouts.

It's been 20 years since I last owned a laser printer, and even back then the print was very sharp and professional looking. Printing my first page on the Lexmark brought me back to those days... font quality as amazing. I've always been happy with my inkjets' text quality, but when I compare them to a laser, they're no where near as good.

First thing I did was print out the MX310's user guide... 269 pages. I started it up, went to make some coffee, and about five minutes later came back to find the whole manual printed out and waiting for me. I followed up with printing various items, from envelopes to shipping labels on adhesive paper... everything printed fast and perfect. In the last two weeks I've printed roughly 1,200 pages, without a single problem. That would easily been four or five black ink cartridges with my old inkjet at roughly $15 each.

I've faxed only once and scanned a few documents, all of which worked out perfectly. My only complaint would be the user manual itself and the way the entire printer seems to be set up for network printing... I connected my MX310 to my computer via the USB cable, but the manual seems to assume that everyone is connecting it via ethernet cable. The USB cable is mentioned briefly in the manual, but it seems as if USB connectivity was added late and the manual was edited to include it. The problem is any advanced settings, such as for the scanner, the manual tells you to point your web browser to the IP address the printer is assigned to when you first set it up... since I'm using USB and not ethernet, my printer doesn't have an IP address and I cannot access the advanced settings. In an email to tech support, I was told that the advanced settings were 'not that important' and I should use an ethernet cable if I really needed them. What's the point of having a USB port if the printer doesn't operate 100% when using it?

As for the toner complaints, people are often shocked at the cost of toner replacements, however my black inkjet cartridge costs $14 plus tax at my local Staples store and lasts 200-250 sheets. I've already printed enough pages on my MX310 that would have cost me about $75 in ink cartridges on my inkjet, which is the cost of another toner... and if the 2,500-page toner holds true, I'm only halfway through this one. There's a high-yield toner available at three times the price, but offers four times the capacity. Sounds like a good deal to me...

Aside from my disappointment regarding the USB connectivity, I'm extremely satisfied with this printer. It's very fast, amazingly sharp, and is saving me money every time I print.