Lexmark MX310dn Mono Laser MFP
Style: PrinterChange
Price:$266.99+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

TOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon December 30, 2013
Style: PrinterVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I had the chance to try this laser printer out and I'm happy with it. But it isn't perfect.

The printer will set you back a few hundred dollars, what you get is a massive machine that is built very solid. But you do wind up with something that takes up a good deal of space.

The biggest gripe I have about this printer is the lack of built in wifi connectivity. Every printer I have owned lately has built-in wifi including those in the $50 range, for Lexmark not to include that in this printer that is multi-hundreds of dollars is just a poor decision and for that I am knocking off 1-2 stars.

When first setting the printer up it will ask you a number of options like what features do you want available, just check mark the ones you do and leave the others blank and hit ok. The printer is then up and running. If you are like me you checked the "email" option but then get an angry red light blinking at you telling you no smtp servers are setup. I ultimately went in and reset to factory then just checked the "print" and "copy" options, left the other features off as I really wouldn't use them anyways.

To get this connected to the network I had to find a network cable, and a spot near my router. If it were wireless I had a great spot on my desk where my old printer was, no such luck. But once connected with a cat-5 cable it grabbed an IP and was ready to go in no-time.

I found that lexmark has an android app in the play store that you can download and I did, I set up my printer although I didn't like I had to specify the IP of it, sure would have been nice if the app scanned and found the printer. But that's a negative on the app not the printer.

At that point I loaded my resume up on my phone, hit the "share" button and selected the lexmark app, it had me select the printer and print settings like double sided, color, etc and I hit print, off it went and seconds later my resume printed from my phone.

The page was a bit curled, but it did go through the duplexer so I half expected that. The print quality was really good, no complaints.

The only other complaint I have is the cost of replacement toner. The high yield cartridge that amazon shows for this is $200, the printer is $250. For that I knock another star off, toner should not cost that much.

Other then that this printer is good. If they had included wifi in the printer it would have easily been 4 stars, lower the cost of the toner and it would hit 5. These 2 items are the only real negatives I found. Everything else about this printer is well thought out, easy to use and built solid.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 10, 2013
Nice printer with the features I was looking for, which included an option for a second paper tray. Upon arrival the printer was making some pretty loud clicking noises when feeding paper. I contacted Lexmark technical support and they offered to send out a brand new printer (not refurbished) and send a shipping label for the old one since it was within the first 30 days which I thought was a good way to stand behind your products.
Style: PrinterVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Right out of the box, I discovered that the toner had spilled out all over the toner cartridge compartment. It was a huge mess! The package also did not come with an installation CD. Grrr...

After cleaning up the mess, downloading the driver from the Lexmark Website, and installing the driver, I proceeded to print out a test page -- and found 4 big steaks right down the page. So, I performed another round of cleaning -- this time more thorough -- on the imaging unit (taking care not to damage the drum), the cartridge, and the interior of the printer. Still, no go. After spending a few hours of troubleshooting (and more cleaning), the streaks remained. *sigh*

Okay, maybe I got a bad imaging unit (which might have gotten damaged during shipping), but I don't fault Lexmark for that. Lemons happen, and I can accept that. So that's not why I rated this printer 3 stars. I really didn't care for this printer. Here's why:

(1) Clunky Scanning To Your Computer
To scan to your computer, you need to open up a browser and type in the IP address of the printer and hit go. After the page loads, click on the Scan Profile link, configure the scan parameters (such as DPI, file type, JPEG quality, etc.), and hit submit. (The app runs on Java, so you need to have Java installed on your browser.) You will then receive a confirmation page and given the shortcut key to initiate scanning on the printer (e.g. "#1" or "#2"). The shortcut key is valid for as long as the browser page is kept open. If you close the page and reopen it later on, you're going to have to run through the whole configuration process again to scan to your computer.

(2) No Duplex ADF (Automatic Document Feeder) Scanning
Maybe I'm spoiled by my Canon MX870 (which does duplex ADF scanning), but duplex scanning is SWEET! But alas, this Lexmark doesn't do duplex scanning.

(3) No Way To Disable Error Printing
There IS a way to disable error printing for errors encountered during faxing, but NO way (at least no way I was able to find) to disable error printing when an error is encountered during scanning. To me, it's a waste of paper, and I do find the fact that you're unable to disable this "feature" extremely irksome!

The printer does have some good points. It warms up fairly quickly from a cold start (about 10-15 seconds), and once warmed up, it takes 2-3 seconds to print a page. The duplex printing is lightning FAST! It takes 4-6 seconds to print both sides of a page! Additionally, the scanner is the fastest I've ever used -- 8 seconds flat to scan a page, regardless of the resolution. The quality at 600 DPI is very, very good.

However, despite having some very nifty features, I can't get past the cumbersome scanning procedures and the lack of duplex ADF scanning feature (I do a LOT of duplex scanning). If you're using this printer unit primarily for PRINTING, it's definitely worth considering. If, like me, you do a lot of scanning, you might want to keep looking.
on January 15, 2015
Overall a very reliable machine. Lexmark support is very good. We were initially having issues with scanning to our 2012 Server and contacted Lexmark and they provided us a beta firmware (which as of October 2014 is now public) and that resolved the problem. We have 4 of these in our office. Some have 100,000+ pages on them and have had the imaging unit replaced, which is fairly inexpensive compared to the toner...

The toner is the worst part of this printer. Lexmark is clearly subsidizing the unit with inflated toner cost. Even the high yield toner at $200 can't compete with similar HP toner yield at that price. We have a Lexmark x651de (basically the enterprise version of the MX310dn) and although it's toner is twice as much, it yields around 3x as many pages.

So although it loses a star simply because of the toner, it's kind of a bittersweet arrangement because at the retail price of the toner, the printer simply isn't price-competitive in the long run. HOWEVER, the reason we have four of them, is because the toner is refillable. It is a complicated process because there is a smart chip in the toner that needs to be replaced as well, but we can refill genuine Lexmark cartridges with kits for $40 at least twice before the toner cartridge internals wear out. This makes the printer VERY affordable to operate. And compared to HP's in the similar price range (Laserjet Pro 400 MFP) it's more reliable, scans faster, and handles more paper. The HP cartridges are also significantly more difficult to refill (it takes more than a Philips screwdriver.)

Overall, recommended. Just research refilling the toner. It's not as messy as you think. I regularly refill our office cartridges in 5 minutes. Just do it over the sink or newspaper and you'll be fine.
VINE VOICEon January 23, 2014
Style: PrinterVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I do a lot of mono color printing, including printing of 200+ page user manuals that come on CD with every device I buy these days (nobody offers hard copies of user manuals anymore). With taking 20+ minutes to print out manuals and going through at least 1 black ink cartridge per month printing shipping labels on my inkjet, I was looking for something a bit more economical, and preferably faster. I got the Lexmark MX310dn laser printer to fill that need and it's been flawless in that respect.

Setup was simple... plug it in, run through a few steps on the printer's menu, and it was up and running in a couple of minutes. The unit itself is very impressive... well built, boots up quickly, and holds a LOT of paper, so there's little need to interact with it other then picking up my printouts.

It's been 20 years since I last owned a laser printer, and even back then the print was very sharp and professional looking. Printing my first page on the Lexmark brought me back to those days... font quality as amazing. I've always been happy with my inkjets' text quality, but when I compare them to a laser, they're no where near as good.

First thing I did was print out the MX310's user guide... 269 pages. I started it up, went to make some coffee, and about five minutes later came back to find the whole manual printed out and waiting for me. I followed up with printing various items, from envelopes to shipping labels on adhesive paper... everything printed fast and perfect. In the last two weeks I've printed roughly 1,200 pages, without a single problem. That would easily been four or five black ink cartridges with my old inkjet at roughly $15 each.

I've faxed only once and scanned a few documents, all of which worked out perfectly. My only complaint would be the user manual itself and the way the entire printer seems to be set up for network printing... I connected my MX310 to my computer via the USB cable, but the manual seems to assume that everyone is connecting it via ethernet cable. The USB cable is mentioned briefly in the manual, but it seems as if USB connectivity was added late and the manual was edited to include it. The problem is any advanced settings, such as for the scanner, the manual tells you to point your web browser to the IP address the printer is assigned to when you first set it up... since I'm using USB and not ethernet, my printer doesn't have an IP address and I cannot access the advanced settings. In an email to tech support, I was told that the advanced settings were 'not that important' and I should use an ethernet cable if I really needed them. What's the point of having a USB port if the printer doesn't operate 100% when using it?

As for the toner complaints, people are often shocked at the cost of toner replacements, however my black inkjet cartridge costs $14 plus tax at my local Staples store and lasts 200-250 sheets. I've already printed enough pages on my MX310 that would have cost me about $75 in ink cartridges on my inkjet, which is the cost of another toner... and if the 2,500-page toner holds true, I'm only halfway through this one. There's a high-yield toner available at three times the price, but offers four times the capacity. Sounds like a good deal to me...

Aside from my disappointment regarding the USB connectivity, I'm extremely satisfied with this printer. It's very fast, amazingly sharp, and is saving me money every time I print.
VINE VOICEon January 3, 2014
Style: PrinterVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Update 7/15/2015: Still perfect, no paper malfunctions, nothing. Absolute workhorse of a laser printer. iOS printing with the Lexmark app is just like printing from a laptop, no "special rendering" because it's iOS. Awesome.
========================
Update, 4/4/2014: This printer continues to amaze. The paper handling is so much better than other units in its class. The logic in the printer's firmware is also quite smart. It starts warning you that your toner is low way in advance, then again when you have approximately 300 pages left. We ran it down to see what would happen and when it was almost out during a big print job, it actually counted down the last 20 or so pages to let us know when it would be out of toner. NO surprises with this unit. Once I switched cartridges, it picked right up as expected and finished the job. Also, the scanning to your PC from this unit really works well and fast, that's been a joy and a half. Lexmark recently updated the iOS printing app and it REALLY works well now. Did you ever return an item to Amazon and get to the page where you hit the gold print button to get the barcoded return sheet and the shipping label? Works fine on a PC or Mac, but in native iOS printing that may not work, iOS AirPrint tends to try and print the screen. But the Lexmark app on my iPad has NO trouble performing like a real PC, I hit the print button and everything prints exactly as it should. You get the choices to print dual sided or not right on the iPad, and it even send back a popup if the toner is low. THAT'S pretty big, that means the app is controlling a lot more communication between the printer and the iPad then Airprint has ever offered.

==========================
Original Review:
I've owned a slew of the "affordable All-in-one" laser units, my last being the Canon MF3240. The affordable ones do give you all of the multi features of print/scan/copy, etc, but at a cost of lousy paper handling, expensive toner and paper jam issues. This Lexmark MX310 is WAY better in construction and function, hands down. I wondered what I would get for a unit that costs 3 times the price of the entry-level units that I catch on sale, and now I know. The paper handling on this unit is excellent, everything prints straight and you can tell by the sound of the unit that it's solid. The old Canon would always print intermittently crooked here and there and print quality wasn't top notch. The print quality of this Lexmark is outrageously sharp and I'm only running at 600dpi, it can be set higher. We just ran 150 church bulletins across it and every one printed straight, and FAST, it finished in about 5 minutes.

Scanning and copying are a breeze as the Lexmark has a document feeder on the top for when you are scanning or copying letter-sized documents. For smaller sheets or photos you can lift up the doc feeder and place items right on the glass. You can easily scan to any PC on the network or even a network drive if you have one, which means you can scan right to DropBox or SkyDrive which is great. I've seen complaints about the scanning in other reviews but it works fine for me. Maybe I don't have enough stuff to scan other than receipts, etc.

The printer also has a very good manual document feeder which I use for FedEx and USPS labels that come on Letter-sized sheets. The old Canon I had was pretty bad, you had to hold the paper until the rollers grabbed it and hope that it was straight which it never was. This Lexmark has a fold-out feeder with adjustable guides which works REALLY well, and the few labels I've printed so far have been perfectly straight. And because the manual feeder guides are adjustable it allows envelopes to print straight as well, a nice feature I'm not used to having, lol.

Setup: This is probably the one not-so-hot attribute to this printer, the network setup is a bit weird. You have to navigate through the on-screen menus to figure out which setting you're really supposed to be doing. Whoever wrote the menu system needs some serious instruction in User Interface design. The printer has this loud annoying beep when something isn't setup correctly at first which includes Fax settings. I gave the Fax section a bogus name and number and it seemed happy, but that shouldn't be mandatory, Faxes are on the way out so not everyone uses it. But the one setting that might hang people up is that it requires you to put in your home network name. That's basically the IP address of your home router which is usually 192.168.1.1, but how many folks know that? I found that weird, that it demanded that, because it was already assigned an IP address on my network when it was turned on and the Cat 5 cable was plugged in. At any rate, once you input the IP address, all of the network functionality works well.

Speaking of network, I have to say that the way Lexmark handled printing from iOS devices is outstanding. At first it seems a bit cumbersome because you have to install the Lexmark printing app. However, that app integrates with practically everything in my iPad and makes printing a breeze. I feel like I have true usable printing from the iPad and iPhone, finally! For instance, I went to the manufacturer's website for a device in my PC (a CPU cooler) and the mounting instructions opened in my Safari browser as a PDF. Like always, I tapped on the screen and the "Open in..." prompt appeared. I noticed the Lexmark printing app was listed so I opened it in that, and iimediately was shown a screen where I could choose 2-sided printing plus a box where I could type in the number of copies I wanted. I hit PRINT and the printer fired right up. The printout was perfectly aligned and looked like I printed from a PDF on my PC. Seriously awesome. I feel like I have laptop-like control over printing on my iPad now. This printer is not wireless, it takes a network cable, but any iOS devices on the network can print once you download the free app.

Last topic, toner: The high yield toner seems outrageously expensive at first, I just bought one on Amazon for $203 (the printer comes with a starter cartridge). That sounds crazy at first until you realize it's for 10,000 copies. My old cheap Canon took cartridges that were $75 but yielded only 2,500 copies, so that's $300 for 10,000. I may have spent $203 for toner but it'll last years with the light printing I do in my home office.

Also, my son has a MacBook Air and he was able to install the drivers and print with no issues as well, so Win/Mac/iOS all pass the test.

Great unit, couldn't be happier. Maybe it will fail over time like another reviewer stated, but I'll report back if that happens.
on March 3, 2014
I originally purchased a Lexmark x264dnw, but over the year I had it there was more downtime than uptime. Lexmark finally admitted there were several design flaws, and to resolve the issue Lexmark replaced it with an MX310dn in January 2014 (directly from Lexmark).

Initially I felt this newly released and designed MX310dn (received directly from Lexmark) was a "real winner". I even ordered a separate unit from Amazon [this Amazon unit was never taken out of the box]. However within 200 pages printed/copied it started "restarting on its own accord." Given the nightmare I had with the x264dnw, when this problem with the MX310dn became a regular occurrence, I just put it back into its original box, then immediately purchased BROTHER brand units (one MFC and one laser; each using the same drum and toner for efficiencies). [I went back to BROTHER units because over the many years I had used them, they ... "held up well".]

A few months later in July 2014 when I contacted Lexmark technical support on the MX310dn "restart" issue, they said "the problem is probably a power board problem"... AND "we are not going to honor the warranty". This even though the System Device Information page showed it was set up January 16, 2014 and last used March 18, 2014 with only 318 pages printed/copied.

I ended up having to bring a "war charge" with Lexmark's legal department back in Kentucky at which I just told them "Lexmark has never provided me one single unit which was not a lemon, and thus the only thing I will accept is a return with a full refund. I want Lexmark out of my life forever. I can never use, nor recommend a Lexmark product again".

Lexmark accepted their unit back and are returning all funds to me in full.
Amazon accepted their unit back and are returning all funds to me in full.

NOTE: Lexmark's own technical support staff stated they "were worried about the new units coming out because they contained many more parts and components, and this usually means more problems". Thus it appears Lexmark, by coming out with TOO MANY PRODUCTS (or varieties within a line) and BRINGING THEM OUT TOO QUICKLY, is SACRIFICING QUALITY.

Lexmark engineering is suffering.

Lexmark product manufacturing / quality control is suffering.

And when you speak with corporations who purchase or lease thousands of Lexmark units, their employees invariably say "Lexmark products require too much support. We have too much downtime".

Unfortunately, Lexmark rates a BIG BUYER BEWARE.
on April 7, 2015
Bought a Lexmark MX310dn from my local Club C****o store. According to the specs from the Lexmark website and Downloadable Manual this printer can be made Wireless by purchasing a Marknet N8352 Wireless adapter and connecting it to the printer. Here is the direct quote from page 23 of the Manual: "Purchase a MarkNet N8352 wireless network adapter first before setting up printer on a wireless network."

Well I did as they instructed and purchased the MarkNet N8352 Wireless Adapter - this adapter is designed to connect to the printer through USB. The problem however is that this printer DOES NOT HAVE A USB PORT (see photos of front and back of printer - no USB anywhere). I was on the phone with Lexmark Technical Support for 30 minutes while they transferred me to different techs to try and figure out the problem, eventually the line went dead and I was disconnected.

I definitely will never trust the Lexmark Company documentation in the future - this is the first and last Lexmark I will ever buy and its going back to C****o tomorrow.
review image review image
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I work with Lexmark products in my day-job so when it came time to upgrade from my $30 DeskJet, I chose this model. Being familiar and certified to work on it is one bonus, but pretty personal so I can't recommend it on those merits. I can recommend it as a more than adequate small business printer or a stellar home printer, especially since it is a network printer. Installation on your client computers is a breeze: plug in the power, plug it into your router via Ethernet cable, and it's visible and useable by all your Windows based home PCs.

Note: Make sure there is clearance for the flatbed scanner to open; you've got the ADF feeder on top of it which adds dimensions to the lid. Also be patient with the letter feeder tray; it's lazy and really only good for one at a time. Fold your peel and stick flap into the envelope before you run it through to help prevent the fuser from melting the adhesives.
on February 1, 2014
Style: PrinterVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Lexmark's MX310dn is a solid, monochrome laser printer that will reliably fulfill most of your medium to high volume daily print needs with the only downside being its large physical footprint that jumps out at you if what you're accustomed to are more svelte and low-profile home printers. However, if style consideration is not an issue what you'll ultimately end up is a cost effective device that will take care of your document needs (printing, copying, scanning, faxing) over the long haul.

NOTE: At the time of this review posting I've used this printer for 4+ weeks with near daily use for home office and family needs, averaging approximately 300 printed pages per week.

THE GOOD:
+ Document print quality is excellent. The 1200x1200 dpi quality satisfies and with a performance of 35 ppm this is a very fast performer.
+ The duplex print functionality (printing on both sides of the paper) is wonderful if you're eco conscious and trying to save on paper!
+ Document feeding is excellent. This is the first printer I've owned where a jam has yet to occur.
+ Scanning/copying is simple, easy and reproduces very well. There is an upper document feeder for paper scanning or you can utilize the glass surface for non standard elements (eg - photos).
+ This is a networked printer (not wireless though) and was easily detected on my home network once plugged into my wireless router. I have 2 desktops that are physically connected to the router and upon installing the software, both devices could access the printer. I also utilize Lexmark's iOS app on my phone and iPad to access the printer.
+ The printer is silent when not in use or in sleep mode. When printing the sound is about what you'd expect.

NOT SO GOOD:
+ Footprint is large! It stands about 18 inches high and weighs over 50 pounds so do keep this in mind if such concerns are a factor. In my opinion the size is justified for the duplex print functionality.
+ If you plan on utilizing the email and FTP features you'll need some above average networking skill. Its nothing too difficult mind you, but if you're not familiar with the terminology you'll likely need some assistance on this front.