Li-ion Battery For Apple A1175 MacBook Pro 15-inch series
Price:$18.57 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

VINE VOICEon March 10, 2010
Verified Purchase
Where to start...the price was right, some good reviews, so I went for it. Shipping was fast. It fits just sort of ok as it sticks out a hair more than the Apple battery. It seems that the battery is the right size, but they glue an aluminum sheet over it to match the finish of the Macbook Pro and that makes it too thick. Cheesy, but it is on the back where it doesn't show... It does snap into place properly. The memory stick did come with the order.

The first few cycles were odd in that the battery status box would show all sorts of varying times remaining, all the way from around half an hour to over three hours. After many cycles it seems to have settled down and shows a consistent two plus hour time at full charge. In actual modest computing use, not plotting missions to Mars or anything, it does seem to last for around two hours.

When I click on the battery dialogue box, the one in the upper right-hand corner above the menu bar, the "Service Battery" caution appears. Nothing seems wrong, no odd behaviors or anything at all. I suspect that this happens because this is a non-Apple device and doesn't have the secret handshake. This happens with some other devices that are not "approved" by Apple.

In Amazon's product photos there is an image of some sort of certification. Whatever this really means, it didn't come with my battery order.

The little green LED status lights on the battery light up sequentially when being charged, but then turn off when the charging is complete and do not turn on again until the next recharging session.They don't count down as the battery is depleted. Strangely, my nearly dead original Apple battery does that as well. I never used that feature when the MBP was new, so I can't honestly say this is a fault. In any case, the LED status lights are useless.

I contacted Amazon with my concerns and they forwarded my email to Genuine Adapters, evidently without the order number(!) GA promptly asked for that number and I provided it. After that, no response. I emailed a couple of times since, asking if they needed any more information, but no response at all. I don't know if this is an unusual situation for this company or not.

One reviewer said that AGPTEK batteries are good. There is no indication that this is an AGPTEK product and, in fact, there is no indication of any particular brand at all.

Note that Amazon's description is that it is a product of "Brainydeal", but sold by "Genuine Adapters" and fulfilled by Amazon. I suspect that there are all sorts of marketers who buy these things as commodities and so the sources and branding changes all the time. As a consequence, the quality and service is ever-changing. The next seller might be "Acme Power Source" or whatever, and it might be the same battery I got, or another one. Who knows. There is a lot of electronic debris out there.

Replacement batteries are a huge business. It would be nice if Amazon would step in and sort this out by identifying solid manufacturers and promoting their products directly. The "Affiliates" are a crapshoot when they are marketing unbranded devices like this.

Surprisingly, at this point I am keeping the battery. It works ok and it is half the price of the very over-priced Apple unit. This is a risk. The thing could die in a month or blow up on my lap (yikes), but I have put enough effort into this and just want to get on with things.

Two stars because it works, with some cautions, and the price is right. The other concerns are serious enough to knock off three stars. I consider this to be a risky purchase. If you feel flush, are ok with enabling Apple's silly-high price for replacement batteries (I am not) and do not want to have to deal with affiliates or have other issues, then buy the Apple battery.
********************************
UPDATE: As I predicted as a possibility, the battery suddenly quit, completely dead, just after the 30 day Amazon return period expired. Amazon, true to its good reputation for customer service, still issued me a return and refunded my purchase. Thanks for that! I believe that Amazon stepped up because I had tried to contact the seller several times before the warranty period was up.

For all the reasons I mentioned in my initial review, reinforced by my actual experience of a defective product sold by an unresponsive marketer, I strongly suggest you do not take a chance. As onerous as Apple's price for a genuine battery is, there does not seem to be a viable alternative.

You hear of battery fires and of defective batteries damaging computers. Luckily, my battery merely died. Don't take a chance.

Of course, I would change my rating to 0 stars if I could.
77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 2, 2009
Verified Purchase
This battery definitely did not meet my criteria as a suitable replacement.

On the plus side: as near as I can tell, it did actually store electricity and allow that electricity to be used to power my laptop. And after all, that's pretty much the bare minimum a battery ought to be able to do and still be called a battery.

On the negative side: the fit-and-finish of this battery was awful. Something minor like the slightly-different LED status lights (no diffuser to reduce glare, simple on/off rather than Apple's industrial-engineered "fill-up" animation) can easily be overlooked. After all, that has no effect whatsoever on the actual performance of the battery.

But other issues did. The first battery that was delivered to me, the status button wasn't even operable; it was stuck in the "on" position. A replacement battery shipped to me, the button fell off upon opening the package and had to be re-glued. Even after that, the button didn't rest flush with the battery case, causing it to scrape on surfaces (my lap, the table, etc.) that the computer was sitting on.

Operationally, there were also problems with the compatibility with my laptop. The computer never would recognize that the battery had reached a full charge; instead, once the battery got to 100%, the charging would cycle every few seconds between "Charging", "Calculating", and "Charged", with the green/orange power cable light toggling back and forth as the status changed.

Note: I did perform the recommended battery calibration _and_ reset of power management for the computer. The above behavior happened in spite of that.

Also, it appears that the battery doesn't support the Mac OS X Battery Updater, as inspecting the battery status in the System Profiler showed null ("0000") values for the various firmware revision fields. I suspect that may be related to the inability of the charging system to recognize that the battery was fully charged.

After the second dud, I sent the battery back for a refund. For those on a really tight budget, you might find the various annoyances acceptable. But frankly, I'd say those on a really tight budget ought to be buying a computer that doesn't chew up batteries after just 12 months, and doesn't have a battery so expensive that at $75 the replacement seems dirt cheap. Conversely, if you feel an Apple fits in your budget, you might as well accept that you have to spend another $130/year on batteries.
88 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 3, 2010
Verified Purchase
I never write reviews for anything (this is the first one), but I feel it's necessary to warn potential buyers that this battery is worthless. I've had it for just over 3 months now and it has lost half of it's charging capacity. That's after only 44 charging cycles. I've let it run down and then charged it fully to try to restore the original capacity, to no avail. Another problem is that when it runs down to 20 minutes charge left it will erratically lose charge, usually shutting down my macbook without warning. I feel like this battery is not compatible with the 15" macbook pro. I just installed snow leopard last week, which has a battery detection feature. It's giving me the "Service Battery: The battery isn't functioning normally, and you may or may not notice a change in its behavior or the amount of charge it holds" message. Amazon should not allow this seller to sell these faulty batteries.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Verified Purchase
I bought this to replace the aging battery in my MacBook Pro. As other reviewers have noted this is not an EXACT replacement of the original and some discrepancies do exist. However, it does work just fine. I've had no issues with battery life which seems if anything superior to the old battery's performance. If you don't care about a perfect fit and seamless seams, this is a great battery.
on August 26, 2009
I have a MacBook Pro. This battery works great & was much cheaper than one from Apple. This one clicks in just fine but fits just a tiny bit loose. I have been using for months & it does not seem to be a problem. Not worth the savings if it damages the laptop, but so far so good. Will report back if I develop issues.
on January 14, 2010
Verified Purchase
INITIAL IMPRESSION: I have been leery of purchasing an off-brand battery replacement. After doing some homework and discovering that others have experienced poor fitting batteries and coloring issues, I took a chance on this battery, given that the (albeit few) reviews had been positive.

I'm very pleased with the final product. Seller ships quickly, and after nearly a month of use, I have found the difference in battery life to be insignificant in comparison to the Apple OEM battery. Considering I paid half as much for essentially the same performance, I'm one happy camper.

UPDATE (10/20/2011): Within a month of use, my battery began to lose charge and started overheating, which kept the battery from being able to charge until it cooled down. I stupidly didn't seek a replacement (or my money back) within the warranty period. I recently approached the seller, BrainyDeal, to see if they would provide a replacement even though it was out of warranty, and unfortunately they wouldn't.

Sorry to those who followed my original recommendation and purchased this battery, only to have the same problems I did.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 16, 2009
Verified Purchase
Prior reviews note this battery's poor fit and finish, which I also noticed (it was a bit too tight and had to be wedged in), but for a couple hundred dollars in savings I could tolerate that. However, the battery also doesn't hold a reasonable charge, and that makes it unacceptable. Its maximum capacity (as reported by the system diagnostics) was only 5000 mAh, not the advertised 5800; even worse, after only four loadcycles it holds less than 4000 mAh -- if this is what happens in one week, what will happen in a year? (I did go through the initial three full-charge/hold/deep-discharge cycles the instructions recommended.)

I considered getting a replacement from Amazon, but after re-reading the other reviews and thinking about my own experience, I decided that this product is just one to stay away from.

Isn't there a market for someone to make a *good* replacement at a price lower than Apple's?
on February 23, 2010
The card reader arrived looking used. Very used. Chewed up and shat used.

Battery worked quite well for about 25 days, then stopped charging above 11%.

Lesson learned, will be purchasing an Apple battery to replace this one.
on January 24, 2010
Verified Purchase
I saw that this battery was around 1/2 the price of the Apple-branded battery, and it had a few positive reviews on Amazon.com, so I thought I'd give it a shot. It arrived promptly, but when I put it in place and went to charge it, the charge would not go above 26%. I took it to my local Apple store, and he confirmed through diagnostics that it was a bad battery. He then proceeded to give me a new battery at no charge (I was buying an iMac at the time). Score: Apple 1, Agptek/Amazon 0.

Also, the promised thumb drive never arrived.
on January 23, 2010
My wife purchased this for me as a gift. I had it on my wish list, despite some negative reviews. I received the battery and it had about 93% charge. Though I suspect this wasn't quite accurate as it seemed to drain rather fast down to 85%. I was prepared for some inaccuracy. As far as I've read 3rd party batteries can have some conflicts with the accuracy of the percent shown. The battery seemed to hold up okay, I was doing a lot of video editing to run the battery down quickly so I could put a charge to it and properly cycle the battery.

The Macbook Pro gave me the reserve power warning. Though at the 24 minute mark, vs the usual 9minutes on my old Apple battery. The computer still ran for at least 15 minutes before going to sleep due to low power. I plugged in the magsafe power adapter. "NOT CHARGING" says the indicator in my menu bar. The light on the power adapter is green, indicating a fully charged battery. I removed the charger and the computer went back to sleep, logically. Plugged it back in and still "NOT CHARGING" I reset the PRAM, the SMC. No effect. I put in my old battery and it will charge.

After taking this battery out I noticed it was warped on the ends. Slightly more than a fit and finish issue if you ask me. I wonder if the battery was improperly handled or charged improperly at the factory.

I am returning this item and will just fork out the dough for the Apple battery.

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations