5.0 out of 5 stars A cute, engaging read!, November 13, 2009
This review is from: Liberty Liberty! (Paperback)
The story revolves around Itaru, a college student who is down on his luck and has run away from home. At the start of the story, Itaru damages an expensive camera belonging to Kouki, a cameraman who works for a local TV station. He ends up living with Kouki and helping out at the TV station until he can pay back his debt. As the story progresses you basically find out about what happened in Itaru's past and watch as his relationship with Kouki develops.

The story is really well developed and engaging - it has a good, realistic pace and flows really well. All the characters are very well developed, including Itaru and Kouki, who are really likeable, as well as the supporting characters working at TV company. The overall tone is quite lighthearted but at the same time this is a pretty moving read. Watching Itaru get back on his feet and move forwards after finding a new place among the people at the TV station, is somehow really heartwarming.

As with all of Hinako Takanaga's manga, the artwork and characters are beautiful too. If you haven't come across Hinako Takanaga's work before, let me just say that I really can't recommend it enough. Her stories tend to be sweet and lighthearted but at the same time have a lot of depth. I think her work is amazing!

Overall, this manga is a completely sweet and engaging read. I definitely recommend it!

5.0 out of 5 stars really sweet story, January 24, 2010
This review is from: Liberty Liberty! (Paperback)
This is a one-vloume manga, and though I would have enjoyed reading more, I like it like this because it doesn't really need more; it's very to-the-point, and it doesn't waste time on stupid stuff that the story doesn't need, which I hate. It's a really fun story about two guys (I won't give a plot overview since somebody else beat me to it), and even though they're both college-age, it's pretty much a PG story. The artwork was pretty simple and cute and really worked well with the story, and there are some good laughs as well as more somber moments. Recommended

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovable and charming characters !, November 7, 2009
This review is from: Liberty Liberty! (Paperback)
This latest release from Takanaga is lovely even if it lacks the hot stuff. The plot is tightly paced and before you know it, it is the end of one very enjoyable ride. Her characters here are delightful and very likable. As always, her uke is endearing and adorable while the seme is the more moody but no less likable gorgeous hunk. And it is nice to have the uke making the move on the seme. A little love triangle here as the seme seems to still harbor a crush for his close friend, a quirky but so pretty transvestite. Even if the plot is lighthearted it is by no means shallow as Itaru finds new friends and his place in life after rejection by one strict parent and school mates. When Kouki returns his love, one could not help but be glad for our uke. And I love Takanaga's lively artwork.

5.0 out of 5 stars My favorite single manga of all time!, December 27, 2010
This review is from: Liberty Liberty! (Paperback)
This manga is by far my most favorite of all of the single volume mangas I have read. The entire book is dedicated to the same story. None of the bull where only a third is what is advertised. I'm so sick of manga full of several short stories instead of putting full effort into just one. This manga doesn't do that though. The story is unique, the artwork is beautiful, and the characters have actual backgrounds making them seem more realistic. If you are a Hinako Takanaga fan this is a must own because of the carefully created storyline and gorgeous artwork. However, if you are looking for an explicit yaoi this one isn't for you. In this book, and even stated in an interview in the back of this book by Takanaga herself, the author's goal with this story was to be less graphic and focus on the growing relationship between two characters rather than just the physical relations afterward.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth the price and read!, June 3, 2013
**Contains SPOILERS**

This is my first manga I've bought, and I was a little worried about how this would turn out. I wasn't disappointed!

First off, I'm much more impressed than I thought I'd be! I thought the love would be very rushed, because as we know that's the one thing yaoi and shounen ai mangas are notorious for is the rushed love. But the main character Itaru does not realize those feelings until the middle of the manga, so I'm very happy with that alone!

The story is very cute. It centers around Itaru, who ran away from his home due to his unsuccessful experiences at college, and his relationship with Kouki, who is a cameraman for a small news station. Itaru is a bit of a drinker, so at the beginning of the book Kouki spies a very interesting sight, which is poor drunken Itaru at his worst. Kouki begins to record and Itaru, out of anger, lunges out and breaks the camera that Kouki was recording with. From there, Kouki will not let him out of his sight until Itaru pays the price for the camera!

Somethings that I found overused was the crossdressing male/transsexual character usage and the mentions of the possibilities of "unrequited love". I'm a rather picky reader, so coming across these parts did bother me but I thoroughly enjoyed this book! It's a given that Hinako Takanaga is very talented with her works. I'm glad I've given this book a chance!

The shipping was quick. I got it in about a week after I ordered it. It came in a large padded envelope. There were some minor damages to the book, but they were very minor and nothing noticeable.

Anyways! tl;dr: Loved the book. It had some lovable characters and a well thought out plot. Nothing about it was rushed, it went at a steady flow. Give it a chance!

Liberty Liberty!
Liberty Liberty! by Hinako Takanaga (Paperback - November 3, 2009)
Used & New from: $2.00