3,042 Reviews
 (2,640)

1,066 of 1,184 people found the following review helpful
4.0 out of 5 stars I am a Democrat who enjoyed this book.
Published on April 8, 2009 by Christopher M. Capone

3.0 out of 5 stars Preaching to the Converted
This book is 1/2 polemic and 1/2 "Constitutional Law for Dummies," and I appreciated the rich detail of original source material relating modern conservatism to the founding documents. Levin's overall thesis is well-developed (and one with which I agree), but he does make some leaps in logic and heads down the strawman and slippery slope path a little too much. An...
Published on March 26, 2009 by Chris P.

1,066 of 1,184 people found the following review helpful
4.0 out of 5 stars I am a Democrat who enjoyed this book., April 8, 2009
I've been a Democrat for as long as I can remember. I am not a far left liberal, or a "Statist" as Mark would say. I do wonder though if Mark thinks all Democrats are Statists. I consider myself a Democrat simply because I am a little left of center, I am more conservative when it comes to fiscal matters and liberal when it comes to social issues. But as a Democrat, I enjoyed this book and I urge other people who may not see themselves as Conservatives to have an open mind and read this book. It is very well written and Mr. Levin makes many great points. If you're not a Conservatives, this book will not change your views overnight, so don't worry. Also, this book is not "Republican propaganda" as other reviewers, who probably didn't read the book, have labeled it. However, this book might open your eyes to things you never thought of before. After reading this book, I do have much more respect for true Conservative principles that Mr. Levin outlines. This was a good read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Conservative Catechism, March 24, 2009
This book is perfect for the individual who has always "felt" conservative, but couldn't quite explain herself. Mark Levin's "Liberty and Tyranny" begins with an excellent overview of where our country is as a constitutional republic and how we got here. He then states clearly his book's theme and rallying cry -- Conservatives must know the philosophical foundations for the principles they purport to advance in order to defend liberty from the "soft tyranny" of modern liberalism.

Levin goes on meticulously (many more than 300 endnotes), but plainly explaining the principles of classic conservative philosophy of "prudent" progress, a government that is subservient to the people (rather than the other way around), the fundamental truth that rights are not derived from the government but from a higher power, that the free market system more than any other in history provides the best, most efficient and most just opportunity for individual prosperity as well as for the general welfare, and much much more.

Levin's book provides ample evidence of government encroachment on individual liberty and our country's descent into the soft tyranny warned of by Alexis de Tocqueville in our country's earliest years. Economic regulation, environmental extremism, the usurpation of representative government by the judiciary, unprecedented and uncontrolled illegal influx of people into out country, and the like threaten our economic viability. Finally, Levin's book details how the liberal (and some so-called conservative) political elite rejects the notion of American Exceptionalism and seek to surrender voluntarily the sovereignty our forefathers fought and died to give and to preserve for us.

This is a must read for those who wish to understand, defend and advance Conservatism

1,754 of 2,152 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars The Left doth protest too much...with their silence, March 24, 2009
In general, the louder someone complains, the closer you are to the truth. I anticipate numerous ad hominem 'reviews' from statists posted here. Do not let them talk you out of reading Liberty & Tyranny.

In any given generation, there are only a handful authors and thinkers whose creations can survive the ravages of time and the shifting sands of societal evolution. It is rarer still when a key book is written, recognized, and celebrated contemporarily.

Mark R. Levin logically lays out what has made the United States of America different from all other nations in the history of humanity. He re-introduces us to the founders and framers, and those people who inspired them long ago. At its most basic elements, our country was founded on the ideals of life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness...and that we have these rights conferred on us, not by man or government, but by Natural Law, which originates with the Creator. Mr. Levin puts us back in touch with our founding doctrines, which are the at the very heart of what conservatism is and has always been.

For too long, Conservatives have let themselves be defined by the media. Mr. Levin's book recasts what it is to be a proud Conservative, and gives voice to those who are often silent in the face of ideological slander. If you believe in this great country, if you believe in truth and honesty, if you believe in life and principles, if you believe in freedom and patriotism, if you believe that all people are created equal and it is up to the individual to succeed according to their talents and interests, and if you believe in a smaller efficient government, and lower taxes, then this book is for you.

NY Times Best Seller - Hardcover Nonfiction - #1 for 12, #2 for 6 weeks!
Amazon: #1 Nonfiction book for over 30 consecutive days.
Over 1,200,000 sold as of Feb. 3rd 2010!
This is just the beginning. Though primarily written for the domestic market, there are certain truisms that speak to oppressed people globally. When L&T is translated, it may well become the Liberty Bell of our time as it exposes the universal persona of the pied piper-like statists and elitists who seek to destroy the individual. Liberty couldn't have a better lawyer than Mr. Levin.

September 14th, 2010 taught me something. Non-establishment candidates can win primaries.

...meanwhile, the deafening silence from ALL major media outlets continues. How much longer are they going to ignore Liberty & Tyranny? If you are ever asked "What media bias?" by your liberal friends, use this as your prime example.

5.0 out of 5 stars THE Voice for our Times, March 24, 2009
Finally, someone is able to encapsulate the current mess the US is in into a succinct, comprehensive thesis that explains not only where we are, how we got here but, most importantly, what to do about it.

An engrossing read that introduces new terminology in the use of the word 'Statist' instead of 'Liberal' to better pinpoint the mindset and agenda of the far left (as they have strayed so far from the path that to call them liberal is to insult true liberals everywhere). Mark Levine deserves two thumbs up, five stars, and a Medal of Honor for telling it like it is.

Rebecca Melvin, author of In the Brief Eternal Silence

5.0 out of 5 stars Motivating and Educational. A Great Read., August 9, 2010
This review is from: LIBERTY AND TYRANNY (Hardcover)
I discovered a book full of substance that lives up to its hype and NY Times Best Seller status, despite being ignored by the main stream media. This is a must read for anyone who defines themselves as conservative, or anyone remotely curious as to what conservatives think.

Levin does an excellent job of laying out the fundamental truths of conservatism as based upon the founding principles. After illustrating a strong base in political theory and history, he shows the reader the path our country started on and points out the diversions we've taken leading us to our current position. As he defines and discusses the essence of conservatism, he contrasts them with the beliefs of the modern liberal, or as he labels them, Statists. It is illuminating to view the two positions laid out side by side from topic to topic through recent American History. By showing the positions and specific actions taken in the name of Conservatives or Statists, you can clearly follow where those actions and positions have led us.

Reading this book at the conclusion of the current President's first year in office was Providence. As I made my way from chapter to chapter, I was continuously amazed at the historical relevance to what is occurring presently in our country. Levin sets our current struggles with the economy, environmental activism, foreign policy, immigration and more within the historical perspective. And once you see explicitly how our country arrived in this situation over the last 100 years, you stop viewing what is happening now as inevitable or insurmountable.

At the end of the book, Levin defines his "Conservative Manifesto". I will readily admit that upon reading these action items, I found myself shaking my head thinking that what needs to be done will never happen. However, the author reminds us that while difficult, Conservatives must take up this Manifesto for the long term. It took Statists 80 years to bring our country to this point. Levin argues that it will take Conservatives at least that long to get our country back on track. In a world full of the quick fix, the author identifies specific long term goals necessary for us to implement in order to preserve this country for our children and grandchildren.

Mark Levin's reasoning and thought, as well as his vast and obvious research, impressed me - someone who has spent much time obsessing on political theory. He amassed a vast amount of information on key topics and presented them to the reader in a digestible and concise manner. You do not need a degree in political science or theory to comprehend the principles and arguments made throughout the book. He has successfully written a book for all who want to educate themselves about the destructive path our country is on and lays out the framework for conservatives to begin the necessary work to preserve our nation.

I understand all the well-deserved praise over this book. Not only educational and motivating, Liberty and Tyranny is a great read, and timely considering the current status of our nation.LIBERTY AND TYRANNY

5.0 out of 5 stars The case for liberty, March 24, 2009
Sheepdog (Washington, DC) - See all my reviews
Mark Levin has taken the principles of America's founding fathers and applied them to the pressing issues of the day (free markets, government spending, national security, and the environment) to make a compelling case for less government and more liberty. He shows how the inevitable end of ever larger government is tyranny. It is rare that a book about political philosophy can be made as interesting and accessible as this one. I would recommend this book to conservatives, as well as to independents or progressives who want to understand the conservative way of thinking.

5.0 out of 5 stars Instant Classic, March 24, 2009
Levin's latest sounds a clarion call to all Americans to embrace our conservative heritage. In clear and concise language, this instant classic shows how "statism" has undermined the foundations established by the Founding Fathaers and why conservatives need to become more active. A must read for anyone who is concerned with the direction of our country.

5.0 out of 5 stars America Needs to Wake Up Real Fast........, March 24, 2009
Mark Levin has hit a grand slam home run with his latest book. Every God fearing law abiding American who still cares about the founding principles of this country must go out and read it now and take action against the knuckleheads in Washington DC. Mark lays out in great detail how the "statists" the Nancy Pelosi's, Barney Frank's, and Harry Reid's of the world are undermining the founding principles that made the United States of America the greatest country in the world from illegal immigration to global warming. Mark Levin is not only a constitutional attorney but he is also an intellectual genius who has fought these very people while working in the Justice Department during the Reagan administration.

5.0 out of 5 stars The negative reviews have sold me, March 24, 2009
Truth Hurts "volobogman" (Chicago, Illinois, USA) - See all my reviews
From personal experience the terms used today for liberal and conservative are misused. For me a 21st century conservative is one who is trying to preserve American liberal democracy and it's supporting liberal principles of freedom, personal liberty, and personal responsibility. Ironically, those Americans now calling themselves liberals support increasing government power to exempt individuals from personal responsibility, while using the government to move society into a socialist utopia. (The term itself describing something impossible to achieve) In Europe the people on the left are more honest, they call themselves socialists, while European liberals would be American conservatives. Conservative is the absence of Ideology according to the father of the modern conservative movement - Russell Kirk. Conservative is common sense and the wisdom of cultural inheritance. Why are all the negative reviewers throwing names around, without factual backup - they are the ones who sound ideological. They have sold me, I cannot wait to read this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars For happiness and whats right, March 24, 2009
Humble Servant (East Coast , USA) - See all my reviews
If you believe that the country is going down the tubes (even though the stock market may be up, it doesn't mean the world is going to be okay), then this book is for you.

The liberals will come and bash this book because it doesn't fit their ideal utopian socialist world; pay no heed to their 1 star reviews. I read this book and it was on par with alot of the other popular conservative author pieces out there now, if not better.

Do not let what made America the great place it was slip through your finger tips because of the uninformed and academically-brainwashed youth being the squeakier wheels just to get the grease (and I'm a college student, so I KNOW!). This book and what it contains benefits EVERYONE, young old black white spanish rich poor, everyone. EVERYONE!

Get this book and see where it takes you.

Liberty and Tyranny: A Conservative Manifesto
Liberty and Tyranny: A Conservative Manifesto by Mark R. Levin (Paperback - June 1, 2010)
Used & New from: $1.52