Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Stephen Marley Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Showing 1-10 of 140 reviews(4 star). Show all reviews
on April 8, 2009
I've been a Democrat for as long as I can remember. I am not a far left liberal, or a "Statist" as Mark would say. I do wonder though if Mark thinks all Democrats are Statists. I consider myself a Democrat simply because I am a little left of center, I am more conservative when it comes to fiscal matters and liberal when it comes to social issues. But as a Democrat, I enjoyed this book and I urge other people who may not see themselves as Conservatives to have an open mind and read this book. It is very well written and Mr. Levin makes many great points. If you're not a Conservatives, this book will not change your views overnight, so don't worry. Also, this book is not "Republican propaganda" as other reviewers, who probably didn't read the book, have labeled it. However, this book might open your eyes to things you never thought of before. After reading this book, I do have much more respect for true Conservative principles that Mr. Levin outlines. This was a good read.
150150 comments| 1,145 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon March 31, 2009
Liberty and Tyranny is a concise and well written book highlighting the struggle of liberty versus tyranny. More importantly it lays out specifically and with examples of how conservatism's policies were the driving force for the great social experiment of America.

In doing so he also deconstructs the failed policies and agendas of the modern liberal and their statist ideals. He breaks down the core beliefs of conservatism into areas such as health care, entitlements, education, the environment, and the economy and juxtaposes the historical success of those policies with those failed plans of the statist liberal.

He concludes with a point-by-point manifesto on conservative ideals that will allow this country to continue down the road of prosperity, liberty, and economic innovation.

The writing is tight and elegant, though some readers may be put off by the style, it is a wonderful read for liberty loving Americans everywhere.
on March 24, 2009
I don't agree with everything Mark says on his radio show, as a matter of fact I think he talks too much and he is hard to take for more than 5 minutes. However, he does make his case to connect what the "historical" fathers of our country tried establish. You may disagree with him, but unless you can state your case as clear and conscience as Mark, give the man his due.
on July 22, 2009
I am a 21 year old full time college student and I absolutely loved this book the first time that I read it. While the book is well researched and Mr. Levin makes some very good points, as I look at it again, I'm afraid that the style in which this book is written at times makes it seem like right-wing/republican propaganda. I did not notice this the first time, simply because I agreed with most of what the author had to say.

Anyone attempting to read this who does not consider themselves a conservative, I would encourage to try to keep an open mind and try not to get offended by the authors harsh tone towards liberals or as he would call them statists and focus on the core of the arguments and do additional research.

With that being said, there is a lot of great information in this book that exposes the flaws and shortcomings of a wide range of political issues. Arm yourself with knowledge and go out and defend liberty.
on June 1, 2009
Mark Levin begins his bestseller, "Liberty and Tyranny,' with the premise that conservatism equates to liberty and liberalism to tyranny - although he almost immediately substitutes the word Statist for liberal. That is certainly starting a book off with a bang, but the rest of "Liberty and Tyranny,' in which Levin rationally makes his case, proves him to be up to the challenge sure to come from readers who disagree with his choice of words.

(Full Disclosure: I believe myself to be a fiscal conservative and a moderate on social issues, even drifting over to the liberal side on some issues such as support for gay marriage. My chief concerns of the moment, other than the imminent bankruptcy facing this country, all relate to keeping the country safe from terrorism or to our current immigration policy, a policy sure to result in the balkanization of American society not too many years down the road. I say all this to admit that, going in, I knew I would likely agree with Levin's case for the merits of Conservatism.)

Levin differentiates between the Conservative and Statist points-of-view in several key areas: Faith, the Constitution, Federalism, the Free Market, the Welfare State, Environmentalism, Immigration and Self-Preservation. He reminds the reader that this country's founders considered the greatest threat to personal liberty to be "an all-powerful central government, where the few dictate to the many" - the obvious preference of the modern Liberal/Statist and a goal to which the current administration is supremely dedicated. Seldom in United States history have so few believed that they have the right (and, unfortunately, the power) to interfere so intimately in the lives of so many.

Sadly enough, both major political parties in this country seem to have abandoned the Conservative principles that made the country great, the very principles upon which the founders based our constitution. Make no mistake - George W. Bush did not govern as a Conservative, despite his claims to the contrary. These days, Conservatives, at election time, generally find themselves choosing between what is, in their judgment, the lesser of evils, a choice not always as obvious as one would hope in an age where the major parties are so much alike - and so thoroughly dominated by their corrupt leadership.

Levin ends "Liberty and Tyranny" with what he calls "A Conservative Manifesto" in which he enumerates ten things "the Conservative will have to do if the nation is to improve," including: eliminating the progressive income tax, limiting Supreme Court judicial review power, applying anti-trust laws to the National Education Association, stopping "chain immigration," fighting against a nationalized health system, and demanding that all public servants strictly uphold the Constitution.

The book also introduced me to an Abraham Lincoln quote with which I was unfamiliar, a quote to which, as a fiscal conservative, I am particularly drawn, "Let not him who is houseless pull down the house of another; but let him labor diligently and build one for himself, thus by example assuring that his own shall be safe from violence when built." Or, to put it in modern terms, assuring that his own shall be safe from the Statist who wants to confiscate it and redistribute it to "the houseless." God help us.

Rated at: 4.0
on April 21, 2009
I became a recent fan of Mark Levin. I never thought that I would be a conservative, but growing up with my parents listening to Rush, it only seemed natural that I would follow that path too. This book really changed the way that I look at our country. The lack of personal responsibility in this country has been a strong feeling of mine for several years, only now strengthened following this election.
You will enjoy this book.
on November 9, 2014
Mark Levin's book, Liberty and Tyranny made quite a splash when it was originally published in 2009. Even though the book is a bit dated now, I think it's relevance is even greater now that President Obama's failed policies have taken root.

Levin lays his cards on the table at the beginning: "Conservatism is a way of understanding life, society, and governance." Indeed, conservatism is a worldview; a way of seeing the world and playing a part within it.

All of the arguments in Liberty and Tyranny find their genesis in the minds of the founding fathers: "The founders understood that the greatest threat to liberty is an all-powerful central government, where the few dictate to the many." Or as President Reagan once said, "The most frightening thing to hear when answering the door is, 'Where from the government and we're here to help.'"

Liberty and Tyranny is really an expose on the Statist ideology. Of course, the Statist is consumed with power as we have seen displayed in the Obama administration. Levin makes it clear that the "Conservative does not despise government. He despises tyranny ... The Conservative is alarmed by the ascent of a soft tyranny and its cheery acceptance by the neo-Statist. He knows that liberty once lost is rarely recovered. He knows of the decline and eventual failure of past republics. And he knows that the best prescription for addressing society's real and perceived ailments is not to further empower an already enormous federal government beyond its constitutional limits, but to return to the founding principles."

So with the backing and historical muscle of the Founding Fathers, the author presents a cogent case for Conservatism by confronting Statism with bold arguments and common sense American values. He tackles matters of the free market, welfare state, environmentalism, and immigration among others.

I highly recommend Liberty and Tyranny by Mark Levin. It will serve as an encouragement to most Americans but will be a source of irritation for social progressives.

4 stars
In every case where there are 1 star reviews for a book, the prospective buyer should read the 1 star reviews to get a sense of the arguments against the book or whatever the author is attempting to say. In this case such a policy is more important than ever.

The 1 star reviews here are mostly ad hominem attacks against the author, sometimes even labelling him as a racist or worse. Please note that author Levin's points are never refuted or even discussed at length with contradicting facts. It is rather that his arguments and information are inconvenient truths that essentially establish the general theme that the elites of this country -- overwhelmingly the product of far-left professors in our nation's universities -- who have swallowed the propaganda of the far-left so pervasive (even in our public school textbooks) since World War II are taking this country into European socialism and wish to abolish our national sovereignty in favor of a client state in the New World Order run by themselves and elites from other developed nations.

So why not five stars? Well, there are points worthy of discussion, and the necessity of breaking the far-left dominance in our education system is not properly taken to task. Without such action, there is no possibility of defeating the far-left. Until the educational system is restructured including the elimination of tenure which allows professors to do ANYTHING in the name of academic freedom, there is no hope for change.

I highly recommend this book to all.
44 comments| 17 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 22, 2014
Mark R. Levin is a fellow Virginian (from Loudoun County no less) and transplanted Big Five guy. Here he has written one of the better explanations of the tenets of the conservative movement (excluding anything ever penned by Goldwater, Reagan, or Walter Williams).

I am an occasional listener to the Levin radio program. I have to admit that I prefer listening to baseball on the radio in that time slot, especially now with the renaissance of my beloved but long suffering Orioles.

This book starts out slowly and then turns weird but it is still highly recommended by this reviewer. Levin seems both too smart and too volatile to write this book. The first section is political theory, you should skip it. The next section is a review of recent American political history which is insightful.

Even though FDR played some role in winning the war (I don't think King George gets enough credit but that is for another day), FDR was in other ways truly evil. Most of the problems we have today that wont go away, and we were warned more than 50 years ago now by General Eisenhower and Senator Goldwater, were due to FDR's embrace of statism. I know we are better of with statism than socialism (ask Margaret Thatcher if you dont believe me) but FDR is truly to blame for run-away welfare programs, judicial activism, endless attacks on Christianity, and government paid retirement and health care.

With the third section of the book I thought I was Marty McFly. It is Levin's warning about Obama, unfortunately I put myself in this time warp by waiting all these years to get the audio book for free at the Purcellville Library. Hopefully the Levin family found a way to keep food on the table during these long years of Obamanomics.

All in all not a bad read. Levin is the true heir to Goldwater. He writes better than Hannity and the Bushes but cant hold a candle to Goldwater, Beck, or Rush.

One last Goldwater quote to put the statists on the run:

I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them. It is not to inaugurate new programs, but to cancel old ones that do violence to the Constitution, or that have failed their purpose, or that impose on the people an unwarranted financial burden. I will not attempt to discover whether legislation is "needed" before I have first determined whether it is constitutionally permissible. And if I should later be attacked for neglecting my constituents' "interests," I shall reply that I was informed that their main interest is liberty and that in that cause I am doing the very best I can. The Conscience of a Conservative
on May 6, 2012
This is an excellent portrayal of what the conservative movement is about if you want to understand. It is rational and presented logically with examples and backed up with footnotes and reason. For those who "feel" this will seem cold, for those who "think" it is a resource for helping those who feel to think.
It is not an easy read, it requires effort and wrapping the mind around, but well worth the read. I had to take it a few chapters at a time. He makes sense, read it with an open mind and truly understand the conservative mindset, whether you agree or not.