Automotive Holiday Deals Books Holiday Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Adele egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Movember Gifts Under $50 Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer bf15 bf15 bf15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Black Friday Deals Shop Now HTL

Format: Amazon Instant VideoChange

on September 13, 2008
As a Homeschooling mom this is been a dream come true. It provides the informations in a fun fact filled way that kids really understand what our founding fathers and our people went through to become the United States of America.
I would recommend it for kids ages 4-101! I love watching it too.
To get the complete series in one set is great because watching the individual episodes online at KEWL cartoons is hard because they only offer 5 at a time and generally out of order.
We own a few of the DVD's which were hard to find and we watch them over and over. So, I'm really thrilled to get the complete set all at once and I'll use it in my lesson plans for our Homeschool co-op too.
I know no one who buys this will be disapointed except if your a History Major or professor and you'd only be disapointed that it didn't last longer into the Civil War and the War of 1812.
Maybe they'll carry on at a later date.
My 2 cents thanks for the read.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 24, 2008
See? What did I tell ya? Patience is a virtue, and I'm absolutely willing to wait for October to get the ENTIRE series of Liberty's Kids for the far-more reasonable price of forty-four bucks!

As I've mentioned in the Teacher's Edition, this is the far better deal out there (seriously, what teacher can pay 500+ dollars for ONE show? Is PBS really that unaware of most teachers' ridiculously low salaries? I don't know . . . maybe they expect "the school" to buy it for their library or something -- but which school would pay that much cash for a six-disc DVD set?)

So . . . on with my review of the series:

I've loved this show since I first saw it back in early 2003. During AP US History, this show actually helped incite curiosity and understanding for the complex period that is the American Revolution. It's also the series that made me curious into looking into American History deeper, and reading up on the finer details of America's birth.

The timeline, which features events from the Boston Massacre to the ratification for the US Constitution, is actually quite accurate -- they merely paint into the story the fictional characters of James (the teenage American-patriot), Sarah (the unsure British-loyalist), and Henri (the younger French-sidekick) alongside the historical Founding Fathers.

First airing on PBS, the 40 half-hour episodes are actually quite close to being a half-hour long each (with no commercials originally intended, we get to enjoy more story, as well as fun trivia breaks in between the main story, hosted by James, Sarah, Henri, and even Dr. Franklin).

Among other things to enjoy are the theme song, "Through My Own Eyes," as well as the wide range of voice actors (the cast ranges from Walter Cronkite as Ben Franklin to Billy Crystal as John Adams, with Governor Schwartzenegger, Whoopi Goldberg, Aaron Carter and many more familar voices from Hollywood).

So, yes be sure to buy this series, you won't be dissapointed -- it's wonderfully smart, historically accurate, and great fun for the whole family and you'll be surprised to actually learn loads from it . . . again, just be sure to order THIS one -- the one with the better price. :)
1212 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 31, 2013
I ordered this based off of the "editorial review"... We love Liberty's Kids and are excited to watch the DVDs. HOWEVER, the "Editorial Review" mentions this:
"Also included are Benjamin Franklin's Newsbytes, Continental Cartoons, Now and Then, Mystery Guest Game, original pencil tests, a 40-page booklet with a historical timeline, and a pullout poster with a United States map."
It did NOT come with anything but 4 DVD's stacked on top of each other. I made a claim with Amazon & stated that it was missing these things. So they sent me a new one... Exact same thing.... Obviously (now) it's not supposed to come with these.

$10 bucks is a good price for the DVD's - but we homeschool and I was really looking forward to all of the extras so we could use those along with it. Amazon needs to remove that line from the review. It's VERY misleading.
77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 19, 2013
If you are looking for a great show to help your kids learn about the American Revolution, this is it. It is engaging, entertaining and dramatic, but geared towards a younger audience. If they are younger than 10 (like my kids are), you should probably watch it with them to help them with some of the terminology and to help them understand historical context and the sequence of events. But even with that, my kids still love it, and I am learning details about that period that I didn't know before.

The reason for the three stars is that this particular DVD product is poorly done. There are 4 DVD discs all crammed inside a single DVD disc case. All four discs are stacked on top of each other and jammed onto one DVD slot. Hard to get out and hard to put back. Also, the description from under Editorial Reviews says "Also included are Benjamin Franklin’s Newsbytes, Continental Cartoons, Now and Then, Mystery Guest Game, original pencil tests, a 40-page booklet with a historical timeline, and a pullout poster with a United States map." Total fabrication - none of those are present. There is no insert in the DVD case at all, and the DVDs contain only the episodes WITHOUT the 'commercial' breaks (Newsbytes, Now and Then, etc.). Honestly, I don't really care about the booklet or timeline or map. But I am upset that the other cartoon bits are left out - they made a great break in the action, the defined a lot of words that appear in the episodes, and they provided good historical context for the events. It is the loss of a great part of this teaching tool, especially if you are getting these for younger children.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 20, 2013
This set is NOT complete. It is missing the commentary after each episode, which is one of the best things about Liberty's Kids.
on December 6, 2008
This series is fairly accurate from a historical perspective. But most importantly, it brings history alive for my 6 and 4 year old sons. They have grown to feel as if they know the characters personally and now constantly ask questions about U.S. History.
on April 3, 2011
I used to hate the dates that I had to memorize for history, the facts that meant nothing to me but a passing grade. But that was before I began to watch Liberty's Kids. It takes the boring and seemingly uneventful dates and facts of the American Revolution and makes it interesting for the most hardened of history haters.
Liberty's Kids takes you into the lives of Sarah and James, two typical colonial teenagers who are apprentice journalists for the Pennsylvania Gazette, Benjamin Franklin's newspaper. Sarah is a proper Englishwoman just off the boat from London, while James is a hot-headed young colonist, eager to be rid of the oppressive British rule. The story also includes Henri, a young French scalawag who tags along on their adventures. He is constantly chased and made to behave by Moses, a freed black slave that works for Dr. Franklin in his print shop. The episodes follow their adventures as they report on most of the major events of the American Revolution, often butting heads on key issues along the way. They meet many famous figures, such as George Washington, John Paul Jones and Benedict Arnold.
For many years, Liberty's Kids was on PBS. Its kid friendly animation and appeal towards younger audiences made it very popular with teachers and parents who wanted their children and students growing up with a knowledge and love of their great country. Now that is no longer aired on T.V. it's now available on DVD, all 40 episodes.
Watching Liberty's Kids provided an influence on me growing up. No matter what, I always remembered the lessons I had learned sitting on front of the television. I never forgot that Paul Revere rode throughout the night to get to Lexington and Concord. When I went to Yorktown I was surprised and a little disappointed that the buildings were nothing like they were in Liberty's Kids. Recently my little sister started watching the episodes on DVD. I walked into the living room where she was in front of the television. I found myself glued to the screen, living my past as I watched the Boston Tea Party and the Battle of Bunker Hill. It was then I knew that I had to "return to my roots", in a matter of speaking, and bring this wonderful series to the attention of those who had perhaps been deprived in their childhood of the joy of learning about how our great nation was founded.
on October 8, 2009
I first saw this show when I was around 8 or 9 and LOVED it. I learned more from it then all the U.S. history classes I've taken at school (which have been many). Its a fun way of learning about history and you can better understand it through this series because, as a child, the characters are taking you back into their time so you see it from their point of view. It seems to be a very accurate series as well as entertaining. I think my parents even learned a lot from it. I'm now 16 and I can't wait to buy this series to brush up on my history. For the first time I actually enjoyed U.S. history. I recommend it to teachers for their classes and parents to show their kids.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 28, 2008
I have waited a long time for this wonderful series to come out on DVD. My son was 4 when we first saw it on PBS. He was enraptured by the story lines and the history lessons which don't seem like lessons. Thus began his fascination in history and wars (as most boys are). He is now 10 and has a reputation in school for being a history nut giving his fellow classmates "quizzes" on history details and I give Liberty's Kids the reason why he is so into history.
on July 19, 2013
I love that Liberty's Kids is being offered at such a great price. I got it for my daughter on pre-order. One of the main reasons that she wanted the DVDs, is for the Continental Cartoons and other things that are on the other DVD set. The description under editorial reviews, clearly states that these are included on the $9.99 version. However, they are not. She can watch them on Youtube without these features. She wanted the DVD for the extras. Very disappointed at being misled. No complaints about the series. The show is wonderful! It really encourages a love of learning.