Published on August 5, 2006 by Midwest Book Review

2.0 out of 5 stars Too many uninteresting photos.
I would not buy this book again. It was as if they were trying to take "art" photos rather than consentrate on the wonderful spaces they were at.
Published 5 months ago by Steven T Johnson

5.0 out of 5 stars The snapshot images speak for themselves in this captivating compilation, August 5, 2006
This review is from: Libraries (Hardcover)
137 color plates distinguish Candida Hofer Libraries, beautifully capturing seats of knowledge around the world from the Pierpont Morgan Library in New York to the Bibliotheque nationale de France in Paris, the Villa Medici in Rome and others. Aside from a brief introduction, no essays intersperse the eye-catching plates, each of which takes up a whole page with a blank page opposite in a two-page spread. The snapshot images speak for themselves in this captivating compilation highly recommended for bibliophile's coffee tables and photography shelves.

4.0 out of 5 stars I can't bring myself to spend the money.....yet, May 4, 2009
This review is from: Libraries (Hardcover)
I borrowed this book from the library to see if I was willing to spend the money on it. The answer is not quite yet. But nonetheless, it was absolutely gorgeous, and someday it will be in my collection. I'm keeping an eye out for a decent price on a used copy.

The pictures are simply beautiful, and beautifully simple. There were pictures of libraries that I could imagine myself holing up in for days, looking at books, and other libraries that I can imagine just standing in, looking around in awe, unable to read a word.

5.0 out of 5 stars Libraries, April 7, 2008
This review is from: Libraries (Hardcover)
A picture is worth a thousand words! This book says so much and yet there are only a handful of words on each page identifying the library in the photo. As I was "reading" through this book, I realized that I have been in many of the cities or countries where these libraries are located. I missed some beautiful sites. For anyone who has an interest in libraries, this is a must "read." I will be giving this to my son, who is an architect. His specialty is libraries.

2.0 out of 5 stars Too many uninteresting photos., March 11, 2014
Steven T Johnson (North Oaks, MN USA) - See all my reviews

4.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful book, but pricey., February 25, 2014
This review is from: Libraries (Hardcover)
Purchased as a gift for my bibliophile mother. She loved the book. Amazing photos, but a little on the pricey side. Worth it though, since it was well-received.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning!, February 18, 2014
This review is from: Libraries (Hardcover)
This is truly a dessert for the mind without the guilt of the calories. Beautiful places taken beautifully. Perfect for the person who loves reading and exploring libraries. This is something I may have to order for all my readers this next Christmas.

3.0 out of 5 stars Libraries, November 18, 2013
This review is from: Libraries (Hardcover)
If you want to get a lot of information or large text, this book is not for you. If you want color photos this book is for you. Only 7 pages have text. Fine paper.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great addition to my at home library, August 24, 2013
This review is from: Libraries (Hardcover)
Beautifully taken photographs showcase some of the best libraries our world has to offer. A wonderful coffee table book, a centrepiece and piece of art itself.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book..., December 31, 2010
This review is from: Libraries (Hardcover)
Great book...if you like that sort of thing. Actually it was a gift...for someone who likes that sort of thing!

Libraries
Libraries by Candida Höfer (Hardcover - August 20, 2014)
$99.95 $82.13
Temporarily out of stock. Order now and we'll deliver when available.
Rate and Discover Movies