4.0 out of 5 stars A Clear How-To Guide for All Would-Be Creators

2.0 out of 5 stars A lot of inaccurate information
Published 5 months ago by Jim time

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

2.0 out of 5 stars A lot of inaccurate information, July 18, 2014
This review is from: How to License Your Million Dollar Idea: Cash In On Your Inventions, New Product Ideas, Software, Web Business Ideas, And More (Paperback)
I am a patent attorney so I bought this book hoping its something I could recommend to my clients most of which are small inventors and most of which want to license their invention rather than build it and sell it. There Is a section on patents in it and well you are entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts. The author talks about the 17 year life of patents. That hasn't been the case for almost 20 years now. Its 20 years from filing. The author gives an explaination of first to invent however we are a first to file country now. His Explaination of a "poor man's patent" is just incorrect and his explaination of what a provisional patent application is and what needs to be in it is just wrong too. He keeps using the term provisional patent but there is no such thing. A provisional is only an application designed to shift when the 20 year term starts. while I am not a licensing expert I see licenses all day long and companies don't pay license fees for a product that their competitors can make for free. Seriously how much would you pay for a license to a product that your competitors could sell without the license fee and actually charge less for the product than you have to pay. I can't vouch for the entire book and there may be some things in the book that are correct but based on the things I work with every day this book is way off base. I certainly cant recommend this book. There has to be others that do a better job than this. Did everyone notice that with all the positive reviews there is not a single review that says...I used the information in this book and actually used it to license a product. I think I know why.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Clear How-To Guide for All Would-Be Creators, April 5, 2012
I found lots of useful, clear information in this book that I hope will enable me to pursue a license for some ideas I have been kicking around. Author Harvey Reese does a good job explaining how to develop an idea and find a company that will pay you for it. He also provides many examples and past histories that can help you understand what you are facing and that provide some inspiration.

In this edition he adds how to go about licensing software, Internet businesses and game/reality TV shows, and those sections to me were the weakest.

One aspect I found odd is that he warns several times throughout the book not to fall for invention marketing companies, which will simply milk you of money then leave you dry. But at the same time he says he offers services that seem very similar for a fee. I'm not sure what the difference is between those other companies and Reese's own. Since he says repeatedly in his book that it's best to try to get a license yourself, I think you should just skip using his service. I know I will.

Because of the weaker sections and the self-promotional aspects to the book I knocked one star off the rating. Still, I do recommend the book if you have an idea that you think can be commercialized.

For more in-depth book reviews I've done, search for goldenrulecomics on the Squidoo.com website.

5.0 out of 5 stars all required info in one place, November 25, 2011
Reese has put a lot of info in this book, and covers all the aspects required in turning an idea into real cash. I liked how he differentiated an "idea" from "idea for an idea" - which for me was an eye opener, and the fact that not all ideas need to be patented to be turned into money.
Overall a very good, easy to read book that shows you exactly what the title says, and does it well.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good info, December 3, 2012
A good guide for beginners. Emphasis on doing research first before you invest time and money. Plus websites to help you get started.

4.0 out of 5 stars Four for the price of one, June 21, 2014
This book is a four-in-one, that is, Knute Rockne for the personal motivation to get off your butt and get your idea out there, Don Trump for the hands-on, how-to of the dirty business of business, Dale Carnegie for the clever psychological maneuvers and ploys needed to win the (cold) hearts and (slow) minds of the drones in the companies you want, and Inventing-for-Dummies, which is self-explanatory and if it isn't, you need much more than this book. To me the ultimate compliment for a book is to say that I after I read it on the toilet in my Kindle, I quick-like-a-bunny ordered a hard copy for my shelf in my office and that's what I did with LICENSE your MILLION DOLLAR IDEA. Good job, Harvey!

4.0 out of 5 stars Really good advice, November 25, 2013
Barry Rauworth (Young America, MN United States) - See all my reviews
This book contains some real practical advice for those that desire to make money from new and fresh product ideas. Well worth the money.

5.0 out of 5 stars straight forward and an easy read, May 18, 2013
this book covers a lot of questions for anybody who has had an idea and does not know what to do next.

4.0 out of 5 stars This was a very informative book., January 16, 2013
This book covered a wide range of subjects and helped me understand the various options that an iinventor could use to profit from his iinventiin.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book!, May 6, 2014
This has been a huge help to me in guiding me in the right direction with my idea. Highly recommend!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book!, April 9, 2014
Brandon L'Abbe (Los Angeles, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This book is a great book for learning to license your ideas. It is easy to follow and very down to earth. I would highly recommend it to anyone wanting to invent a product and go down the path of licensing their product.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›