Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: How to License Your Million Dollar Idea: Cash In On Your Inventions, New Product Ideas, Software, Web Business Ideas, And More
Safety Month BOTMKT Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro STEM

on July 18, 2014
I am a patent attorney so I bought this book hoping its something I could recommend to my clients most of which are small inventors and most of which want to license their invention rather than build it and sell it. There Is a section on patents in it and well you are entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts. The author talks about the 17 year life of patents. That hasn't been the case for almost 20 years now. Its 20 years from filing. The author gives an explaination of first to invent however we are a first to file country now. His Explaination of a "poor man's patent" is just incorrect and his explaination of what a provisional patent application is and what needs to be in it is just wrong too. He keeps using the term provisional patent but there is no such thing. A provisional is only an application designed to shift when the 20 year term starts. while I am not a licensing expert I see licenses all day long and companies don't pay license fees for a product that their competitors can make for free. Seriously how much would you pay for a license to a product that your competitors could sell without the license fee and actually charge less for the product than you have to pay. I can't vouch for the entire book and there may be some things in the book that are correct but based on the things I work with every day this book is way off base. I certainly cant recommend this book. There has to be others that do a better job than this. Did everyone notice that with all the positive reviews there is not a single review that says...I used the information in this book and actually used it to license a product. I think I know why.
33 comments|47 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 5, 2012
I found lots of useful, clear information in this book that I hope will enable me to pursue a license for some ideas I have been kicking around. Author Harvey Reese does a good job explaining how to develop an idea and find a company that will pay you for it. He also provides many examples and past histories that can help you understand what you are facing and that provide some inspiration.

In this edition he adds how to go about licensing software, Internet businesses and game/reality TV shows, and those sections to me were the weakest.

One aspect I found odd is that he warns several times throughout the book not to fall for invention marketing companies, which will simply milk you of money then leave you dry. But at the same time he says he offers services that seem very similar for a fee. I'm not sure what the difference is between those other companies and Reese's own. Since he says repeatedly in his book that it's best to try to get a license yourself, I think you should just skip using his service. I know I will.

Because of the weaker sections and the self-promotional aspects to the book I knocked one star off the rating. Still, I do recommend the book if you have an idea that you think can be commercialized.

For more in-depth book reviews I've done, search for goldenrulecomics on hubpages.com.
on July 16, 2014
Bought 2 licensing books. This is good, but it covers more than I wanted--which isn't the reason for the non-5 star rating. The reason for the rating is that is tries to cover too many things to license and isn't particularly helpful in locating places or creating agreements and such. It's a GREAT basic reference, but if you're looking for any true help and specifics, this ain't the book for you.
on December 29, 2014
Awesome read...as newly entrepreneur trying to create my invention without any money or business connections...the author really has written a well instructional book to guide entrepreneur in saving money, reliable resources, presentation ideas, ways to connect major retailers or distributors, and etc. Easy to understand and very inspirational...inspires you to start up your business and imagine being on top of the world!!!
on December 3, 2012
A good guide for beginners. Emphasis on doing research first before you invest time and money. Plus websites to help you get started.
on February 25, 2014
both lighthearted & informative. using this book as a guide I now have 2 products to market . My original book was dog-eared & highlighted . a treasure.... but I loaned it to someone & it never came back. purchased this copy to replace my old one .
on April 9, 2014
This book is a great book for learning to license your ideas. It is easy to follow and very down to earth. I would highly recommend it to anyone wanting to invent a product and go down the path of licensing their product.
on April 4, 2015
The title is misleading - not hard to think this is a get-rich-quick book. In fact it is very helpful for anyone that wants to license an idea. It discusses how to prepare to pitch your idea, how to contact people who might be interested, and how/when you might need to protect your invention.
on September 14, 2015
I will not recommend this book to anyone. About ninety-six percent of the book is about how to come up with a million dollar idea, not how to license it. When I comes to licensing, the author simply refers you to a government website. It is simply the biggest waste of time and money if you already have an idea and are interested in the next step.
on September 14, 2015