Automotive Deals Summer Reading Shop Women's Clothing Learn more Discover it Stephen Marley Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Segway miniPro STEM

on August 31, 2007
This is truly a superb book in every way. Not only is it comprehensive in terms of the steps one needs to take to market their art, but there's also a list of questions at the end of each chapter to help you develop an action plan, for which there's an empty column to write down your tasks.

Personally, I respond very well to "to do" lists and deadlines, so using this book in combination of working with a life coach is bringing wonderful results.

The book also tackles the publishing issue from two sides: one is finding someone to represent you (which is my preference), and the other is how to publish yourself. (I did the independent route in music, and believe me, it's rough. This time around, I'm willing to pay someone in percentages to do it for me and just let me make the art.)

I give it a big thumbs-up.
on October 6, 2007
Now in a newly updated and expanded third edition, "Licensing Art 101: Publishing And Licensing Your Artwork For Profit" takes up where most art classes leave off -- how to make a living as an artist. Drawing upon his more than 31 years of experience and expertise in the licensing industry, Michael Woodward clearly covers such fundamental issues for aspiring artists as how to negotiate fees for their services, how to approach various markets with their artworks, targeting a presentation, exhibiting in trade shows, and protecting their rights as artists. "Licensing Art 101" is enhanced with some 300 contacts including calendar publishers, art licensing agents, greeting card publishers, fin are publishers, and book publishers. Taking a comprehensive, step-by-step, real-world approach to the subject of licensing art, this basic introduction is thoroughly 'user friendly' and should be considered essential, mandatory reading for anyone seeking to pursue a professional career as an artist regardless of the medium in which they work.
on December 19, 2011
First off, I am a working artist. If you're like me, you may be intimidated by the prospect of licensing your work to companies. There's so much involved with copyrights, royalties, and publishers that it seems almost too much to take in all at once!

Thankfully, this book eases some of those worries by telling you exactly what to expect from the licensing industry, from a breakdown of royalties, what to expect from contracts, and what size image and portfolio to present to agents/companies.

This book also gives a detailed section by section breakdown of the various markets that exist in the licensing industry. Art licensing is not limited to greeting cards and book covers, but expands to many fields, including (but not limited to) apparel, character design, prints, plates, stamps, animation, stock photos/illustration, and much, much more!

One of the most helpful elements of this book is the random facts that I never would have thought of otherwise, such as the fact that calendars require special ISSN codes to be sold in stores, the planning process of calendars, the window of time you have to sell them, and many other such facts!

Another invaluable section talks about the advantages of representing yourself or seeking out representation in an agent, how the royalties breakdown, and also how to keep track of your licenses regardless of which route you choose.

Lastly, the appendices collect the major licensing agencies and associations that exist along with their websites and other companies of interest, a truly invaluable quick reference.

There's so much more in this book to mention, but I'll just let you read it for yourselves. This one is staying in my library as a reference book as I am planning to hit the licensing market sometime this year. I have quite a lot of work ahead of me to compile a portfolio of consistent images (and imagery) to present to prospective agents but I'm hyped to get started after reading about the industry.

I can't recommend this book more for others of you who may be curious about the market and want to learn the basics before diving into trade manuals and trade shows.
on June 28, 2008
I am not a fine artist, I am more of a commercial artist/illustrator/surface pattern designer. When I got this book, I couldn't put it down! It has extremely helpful information in it for all types of artists who are wanting to license their artwork in a variety of markets. It is a fast read too, packed full of great advice and resources. It's a book I will keep going back to because it's a good reference manual. If you are thinking of entering into the licensing world, I would HIGHLY recommend that you get this book - it's a MUST, especially for the price!
on November 9, 2008
This book is a great resource. I wish it had included more specifics in the Presentation section regarding how to put together a solid portfolio/presentation package for the first contact.
on December 28, 2010
After checking out this book at my local library, it was full of so much useful information that I decided I had to own a copy. It's only about 1/2" thick, but loaded with great advice and resources. It's better than it looks.
on October 29, 2009
Excellent book for those especially interested in licensing photos, greeting and handmade cards, calendars and more. The author has included valuable tips on all steps of the licensing process. Resources galore for Contact information is mentioned throughout the book and the entire Chapter 10.

The best part is this knowledgeable author offers a "three-part" consultation contact information.

I thought the art licensing coach information was a great idea as an option. I went to Yahoo to the web address mentioned. I not sure if the actual website mentioned is active. It didn't appear to be active.

My initial interest in this book was for art on T-shirts, decals, and basic clothing. Note: I will have to go to other resources for this research.
on December 10, 2011
I bought this book as a present for a friend, but couldn't help looking through it. Many unknown facts caught my eye, I was amazed at all the red tape involved. Glad I got it. Thanks.
on January 23, 2013
Helpful because it's one of the easier books to read about licensing. I think it offers great encouragement for artists to get started to sell more work!
on April 21, 2009
I was told by a friend to purchase this and I'm glad I did. I've been wanting to license my work, but wasn't sure how to go about doing it. The book is an overview on what types of licensing is available and how to utilize the resources to get more $$$ out of your artwork.