5.0 out of 5 stars Another character-driven page turner from Hamill
Published on May 1, 2012 by BrianH

2.0 out of 5 stars Yawn
The only reason I generously gave this book 2 stars is because it starts out well. We are immediately dropped into what seems to be a murder investigation. One of the investigators, Lynne, is the new partner. She has no idea what she's supposed to do. It turns out that she's not there for her investigative ability, but because of a special skill she has.

The...
Published on October 18, 2012 by Terreciel

5.0 out of 5 stars Another character-driven page turner from Hamill, May 1, 2012
This review is from: Lies of the Prophet (Kindle Edition)
Doing the best we can with the cards we're dealt; that's all we can really hope for. But what if that card involves waking up dead, with your organs removed no less, seeing supernatural auras trailing behind possessed toddlers, or channeling spirits from other dimensions in the backwoods of Maine? Hamill takes these situations and more, and weaves them together into a pretty incredible story that kept me turning pages well into the night, day after day.

Lies of the Prophet was a gripping read which incorporated many pop-culture themes, but with really unique twists and new perspectives. Much like his previous book, The Vivisectionist, Hamill creates characters with depth who really drive the story: the friendly neighbor lady who takes a dark turn when touched by fame, the weary diaper-changing widow with a two-year old who actually IS possessed (unlike most two-year olds, who just act that way), or the career-driven man behind the scenes trying to manage an unlikely celebrity persona... these vivid characters come to life on the page, and again left me picturing the scenes on a high-def movie screen with a $13 box of popcorn on my lap. I really enjoyed the twisted journey of Lies, and look forward to my next glimpse into the dark mind of Ike Hamill.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ike Hamill did it again! You won't be able to put the book down., June 16, 2012
This review is from: Lies of the Prophet (Kindle Edition)
This is the second book from Ike Hamill that I have been lucky enough to read and I can tell he is quickly becoming a favorite author for me.

What an incredible story that has been put together in "Lies of the Prophet". I have no clue where he could have come up with some of the plot points; I kept finding myself having repeated "holy $#@!" Kind of moments when I would read something wild that was going on. The book is fun/crazy/chilling/creepy/jawdropping...everyone has their own likes and dislikes but I think a lot of people will be glad for having read the book.

I read a lot and one of my favorite things is to find a new writer that just writes in a fashion that makes the reading something that just flows easily; pages fly by and comprehension of the subject is high because you can tell the writer works hard to make sure that the content makes sense and has a flow.

Have you ever had to read a book and you find yourself going over the same paragraph repeatedly not understanding what is going on? You think to yourself that the editor must have gone crazy and used Google to translate the text to Chinese then back to broken English and then randomly moved sentences around just to screw with you?hi

For me Ike Hamill is just the opposite of that; so easy to read and follow. He makes it fun to read his books and get completely wrapped up in the world he has created...characters that are developed well that you care for and worry about them.

There is action that keeps you turning page after page. I don't know how the author comes up with some of these plot points and twists! There is some very crazy stuff going on in Lies of the Prophet. I don't want to spoil anything because when you read this (You really should. You will not regret it) you will see how wild a mind that the author has.

You will have a great time...go for it!

2.0 out of 5 stars Yawn, October 18, 2012
Terreciel (Bellingham WA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lies of the Prophet (Kindle Edition)

The book jumps back and forth from the present to two years ago which is sometimes confusing. Two years previous, a man named Gregory returns from the dead at his funeral. This isn't a case of someone being accidentally pronounced dead. Gregory was an organ donor and no longer has a heart. He doesn't know how or why he's alive again, but he learns how to turn it to his advantage by becoming a motivational speaker. And, oh yeah, he's immortal. He can't be killed. People begin keeping their loved ones' corpses unburied, hoping that their dead will also return to life. Ergo the investigators, Lynne and Jenko. They work for a company that's also trying to figure out how this happened so they can capitalize on it too. Lynne is involved because of her ability to see 'sparkle,' which isn't really explained but seems to be some sort of electrically generated life force.

So far, so good. An interesting premise. But the story quickly devolves from a believable paranormal tale into an inconsistent collection of the bizarre. Toddler changelings can enslave adults with mind control, but can be captured and tied up. A woman develops the ability to kill by empathy and starts killing whole neighborhoods simply by liking a dog or a child. A cat is brought back from the dead by Lynne-it turns out that Lynne is a Healer, but can't actually resurrect people--and this cat now has special powers too. Somewhere in there, people become zombies. Gregory does end up dead, but I don't know how because by that time I was skimming as it got so silly and trite.

The characters are one-dimensional and all sound the same. As pointed out by another reviewer, there are too many inconsistencies. For example, Lynne, Jenko, and Carol are walking to a parking lot to retrieve Jenko's car. Then Jenko is no longer in the picture. Lynne and Carol just drive off in Jenko's car.

While I can overlook some typos and work-use errors, there are so many that it's not possible to ignore them. The book needed a good proofreader. But that was the least of its problems.

I never did figure out what the title had to do with the story. Perhaps it was revealed near the end and I missed it. I shouldn't have bothered to try to finish this book. It was a waste of time.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good read even for those who don't typically enjoy horror fiction, August 4, 2012
H. Shearer (California (Central Coast)) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lies of the Prophet (Kindle Edition)
I started reading this book one evening before going to sleep and almost stopped reading the book entirely . . . not because it is a bad book, but because the opening chapters are so creepy! From the beginning, this book had my attention.

Indeed, I enjoyed many aspects of this novel. For instance, I like the way the author drops the reader right into the action. He doesn't insult you by providing the entire backstory right away. Instead, he builds your understanding of the characters' lives/situations as he builds the narrative. Also, the characters were well-drawn -- and the author totally avoids the cheesy sexualizing of female characters that most male authors of popular fiction rely on.

I'm deducting one star because the pacing of the narrative seems uneven. There's lots of build up to the ending, and then the author wraps things up way too quickly. I still had questions about some characters and events. Also, several of my favorite characters were dispatched with in a way that seems a bit disrespectful to the reader's relationship with those characters (again, too quickly . . . too superficially). But see -- the fact that I even cared about these characters at all tells me that this writer is better than most who write horror/supernatural fiction.

I typically don't read fiction in this genre because it's too gross or unbelievable, but this book, at least for me, managed to be just creepy, gross, and fantastical enough (but not too much so) to be entertaining. It's a fun read, and I would recommend it even to those who don't typically enjoy novels in this genre.

1.0 out of 5 stars Horrible, January 2, 2013
This review is from: Lies of the Prophet (Kindle Edition)
I rarely, if ever, write reviews. This book was horrendous. The characters were boring, annoying and flaky. The two female leads are particularly bad. Carol is a nimwit and Lynne is weak and annoying. The plot line is all over the place and the switching of time constantly is confusing. Characters just disappear and are no longer heard from in any other chapter. The supernatural beings, which could be really cool, don't make a lot of sense either. Baby zombies? I still have no idea what those things are supposed to be.

My biggest complaint is the editing. Characters change names constantly. One character goes from Dylan to Daryl in the middle of the chapter. Jenks also becomes Don when speaking for a page or two even though the rest of the time in those two pages, he is still Jenks. Words are misspelled constantly and/or used incorrectly.

I almost always read a book the entire way through because I'm just stubborn. This time, I couldn't make it. I made it about 3/4s of the way and couldn't take it anymore. This book had so much potential to be good, but the story arc and editing ruined it.

2.0 out of 5 stars Never really knew where it was going, and thus never got there, November 23, 2012
This review is from: Lies of the Prophet (Kindle Edition)
There's a lot this book has going for it: interesting premise, gripping pace, and some really unique ideas.
Changelings switched at birth
Evil toddler babies
Undead but not zombie undeads
paranormal skills
fascinating not-dead cat
mysterious organization investigating the not-dead phenomenum

And then it has its problems:
really major typos and grammar issues.
a plot that never resolves
answers that never come
and an end that makes little sense

I can understand spending most of the journey not quite sure of things: our protagonists are seeking truth, and until they know, we, the readers, shouldn't be expected to have all the answers. The problem is, once the journey ends, we never understood the point of it all in the first place.
We have people dying like crazy, but WHY? Nothing is resolved, no real answers are found, and in the end this is treated to be expected.... and it just died. Like we were on this journey, but we never went anywhere.

*note* as people do die, etc. my questions from here on out my have spoilers. You have been warned.

So here's the main issues that I was left with:

WHY was Lynne being bodyguard/chaperoned?
What happened to Jenko? (or whatever his name was, it seemed to change)
WHY and WHAT was Andrew to Gregory? We hear about how he's 'different towards Greg' when the cameras aren't watching him, so what exactly was the point of all that extrapolation and suggestion?
WHY does Andrew run off into the sunset with Carol?
WHAT is up with the nuns? There's a whole big conspiracy hinted of 'end of the world fanatics' and baby-napping/creating and everyone just ignores it in the end? Really?
Where did Don disappear to? I wasn't under the impression the Stryker was dead...? Oh, and if the Stryker was Don all along, why the fluff did he bring up the baby issues to his wife?
Also, why the fluff did they pick her as "The Vessel"? Never seemed to be resolved.
Same as to why Lynne got powers, and crazy lady got death powers....
Where did Billy go? Was he nothing more than a mysterious plot point?
And what about the cat?!!! He was my favorite character, and it was hinted that he was some sort of immortal creature (and known in his real form by the Changeling baby)

Okay, end of the main questions... but you get the point. The story was a journey, and it was a crazy, wild one... and it had nothing in the end that tied anything together, that left me either feeling story resolution, or even partial resolution with a pending sequel. It just stopped with saving the world... and left nothing answered.

3.0 out of 5 stars whacked x -files, September 21, 2012
This review is from: Lies of the Prophet (Kindle Edition)
I rated this three stars, but it should be four. It has a lot of wit, well drawn characters that I cared about, and I looked forward to reading it each say. To me it was like the X-Files if they were slightly cracked and off center. It had a "craziness in the real world" feel. It was both funny and creepy as well as having a decent mystery. Now as to why only three stars instead of four : There are NUMEROUS typos and continuity errors throughout. At one point the cat is black then gray with white. Two newspaper articles on different days have the same date. The typos are not something I usually focus on, but there were so many as to be distracting. A thorough edit will push this up a star in my opinion. I did enjoy the story though.

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting premise and a good pace, June 28, 2012
This review is from: Lies of the Prophet (Kindle Edition)
Realize that I write this review after having gotten the book for free. Like most self published books this novel could use a little editing of the grammar and spelling. However, the story kept me wondering what was next and what is really the goal of the evil side. The characters develop over time and are a mix of people to root for and against. I don't read a lot of fantasy so this was a change of pace for me and I was sometimes as lost as the characters on what capabilities different character types should have but found that interesting and enjoyable. Overall, a worthwhile read.

2.0 out of 5 stars There might have been a good book hidden in there somewhere, December 2, 2012
This review is from: Lies of the Prophet (Kindle Edition)
Without the synopsis provided here on Amazon, it would be hard to even have a clue what this book is about. The book is confusing and jumps around a lot. The author couldn't even keep up with the characters names (at least one character changed names midway through a chapter). What made that name change even funnier was when another character mistakenly referred to the character by the alternate name.

The story opens on Lynne, who can somehow see "paranormal" people and has been hired by a company. We never really find out why. During her job she runs into Carol, whose daughter is not normal. Another guy, Gregory, has at some point risen from the dead and now he's after Lynne because she can identify him. I read the whole book and I don't know much more than that. Lots of crazy things happen and a few other characters are introduced but nothing is ever cleared up. About the time the book should have been really getting interesting, is when it actually got even more boring. I couldn't stay awake through the last half of the book, I just kept falling asleep every time I'd try to read it. I did finish it but I am still absolutely lost as to what the heck was going on in the book, or how it all suddenly got cleared up.

5.0 out of 5 stars Spine Chilling Action, June 14, 2012
T. A. Dean (Illinois, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lies of the Prophet (Kindle Edition)
As a modern day Lazarus becomes the world's obsession, other inexplicable events begin to affect ordinary people. (Well, maybe not so ordinary.) Malevolent forces are at work, and a small band of desperate, disparate people must use every available resource to fight the growing evil. Racing against the clock to prevent the obliteration of civilization, this group is forced to work together despite their individual personal agendas. Author Ike Hamill has written an action packed novel which also sends shivers racing up and down your spine. As events unfold, your jaw will drop time and time again at the twists, turns, and spirals encountered. I also appreciated the many bits of humor included which allowed me to catch my breath while I chuckled and laughed out loud. As in his previous novel, The Vivisectionist, Mr. Hamill's unbounded imagination and writing skills shine brilliantly in Lies of the Prophet (and they are equally evident in his latest offering, The Hunting Tree). Sympathetic characters, a page-turning pace, and nonstop action combine to make this a definite must-read. Thank you, Mr, Hamill!

Lies of the Prophet