4.0 out of 5 stars Different...But Not Bad
Published on May 15, 2011 by LaBellaNovella

1.0 out of 5 stars Boring
I've read most of Chelsea 's books and loved them, but this was not nearly as funny. Every chapter is by a different person and obviously not all of them should aspire to be writers. The books by Chelsea herself read easier and funnier. Skip it! Save your money.
Published 21 months ago by SHANNON

4.0 out of 5 stars Different...But Not Bad, May 15, 2011
LaBellaNovella (Chicago, Illinois) - See all my reviews
I've read all of Chelsea's other books. Loved them. They are all laugh-out-loud books. Chelsea manages to get herself into some seriously bazaar situations, and her quick wit seems to always be her saving grace. If you've ever wondered how or why "all" that seems to pile down on this one woman, after reading this book, you'll wonder no more. She welcomes crazy in and then full on embraces it.

This book is written by the people who fill Handler's day, not Handler herself--which, of course-- you probably already know. The common theme in all the mini narratives is this: Chelsea lies, has huge boobs, pees her pants with alarming frequency, loves herself some late night chicken fingers, drinks too much and is overly generous. So, the moral is, although you're not getting Chelsea's voice from this book, you're getting the next best thing.

To be honest, not every essay is amazing (one even smacks seriously of Single White Female--now that is borderline scary) which is the reason I rated this book a 4 rather than a 5. It's worth the read, though. Seriously. If you're a fan of her comedy, her other publications or her show, you'll appreciate the raw way she infuses herself into the lives around her with a "take no prisoners" attitude. She spares no one, and inflicts the worst upon the ones she loves the most.

I wish I worked for her.

5.0 out of 5 stars A 1% chance it might be true, July 5, 2011
P. Greer (Chattanooga, TN) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lies that Chelsea Handler Told Me (Hardcover)
I have watched Chelsea Handler on Chelsea Lately, and I have read "Are You There Vodka, It's Me Chelsea?", so I had an inkling of what to expect from "Lies that Chelsea Handler Told Me." But it was even better then I expected.

This book is written by friends and colleagues of Chelsea, and it is basically their stories of her pranks and lies to them. You see, Chelsea loves to lie and she loves to pull pranks, and the two go hand in hand. I can see why she loves to lie, she is fabulous at it! As each person told their tales, I marveled at her skill. The ability to weave a lie so convoluted that it had to true, is amazing. Writers getting their pictures taken for Time Magazine, a dog that may be a cat, artificial legs...it's all there.

What makes it even funnier is that the people know she lies, so each time they are presented with something, they are 99% certain it is probably a lie. But there is that 1% chance it might be true, and that is what she plays on.

I listened to the audiobook, and each section was read by the person who wrote it, which made it doubly enjoyable!

5.0 out of 5 stars Oh Chelsea!, June 28, 2011
This review is from: Lies that Chelsea Handler Told Me (Hardcover)
Wow! What a bitch! I love Chelsea Handler and it was so fun to read about her pranks. She is the queen of pulling tricks on her friends and family! I was stunned by a few of the stories but highly entertained. This book is not for the light of heart, it is down right disgusting at times but really, really funny!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Book, June 6, 2011
DO NOT expect this book to be as funny as her other books. Keep in mind that this is NOT written by Chelsea Handler, but by her friends. However entertaining, this book is short, but good, not hilarious.

1.0 out of 5 stars Boring, March 19, 2013

2.0 out of 5 stars Some chuckles for Chelsea fans, July 29, 2011
This review is from: Lies that Chelsea Handler Told Me (Hardcover)
While it is not exactly an enormous feat to read all of Chelsea's books, I feel as if I have come to know her over the years through her essays and memoirs. When this book came out, I was a bit leery. Though it's about Chelsea (who is almost always funny), it wasn't written by her and therefore I was suspect. Still, I had read all of her previous books and was in a serious Handler drought so I decided to take a chance. I was disappointed. While I chuckled a few times and smiled every couple of chapters, it lacked the side-splitting milk-coming-out-of-your-nose kind of laughter.

Basically this book is a collection of essays written by Chelsea's family, friends, and writers about the pranks that Chelsea has pulled on them ranging from attempting to ruin a co-workers honeymoon to trying to get her brother to sleep with one of her staff. Some of the essays are funny but it's really hit or miss. Interestingly, I found the sections written by her comedic writers to be the least funny and those written by her family made me giggle. Still, I think these essays made her come off as sounding mean and ungrateful. While I have a suspicion that this isn't true, it did taint my view of her a little bit.

For fans of Chelsea, I think you might find some interest in this book. But I will spend my time re-reading "Are you there vodka" instead.

3.0 out of 5 stars Pale in comparison to her other books, June 11, 2011
This review is from: Lies that Chelsea Handler Told Me (Hardcover)
Like many other reviewers, I have read all of Chelsea's other books. My favorites include Chelsea Chelsea BANG BANG, followed by My Horizontal Life. "Lies" kinda missed the mark for me since some stories (many) miss the mark of being funny, or they're just retold tales from her previous books (obviously told in a different Point of view). I only recall the first story being "bookmark" worthy funny. It was a quick, fun read nonetheless, but kinda took me longer to get through than my two favorite books of hers. I recommend this book - but only to rent/borrow from the library.

5.0 out of 5 stars Purchased as a gift..., June 10, 2011
J. Ho (San Francico, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lies that Chelsea Handler Told Me (Hardcover)
You know, I can't really comment on the writing on this book as I purchased this as a gift to someone and a filler for free shipping for over $25 on Amazon. I can, however, comment on the reaction of the person that received the gift. She loved it! A few weeks later after she finished reading the book. She started to tell me all these little episodes of Chelsea. I can usually tell when someone is just being nice, but nope, she was genuinely happy with this book. Thanks Chelsea Handler for making me look good.

2.0 out of 5 stars just ok, June 4, 2011
This review is from: Lies that Chelsea Handler Told Me (Hardcover)
I was dissappointed by this book. To be honest it's not that funny, especially when compared to her other books. If I had the choice, I wouldnt buy this book again. I dont even have a desire to read the last two chapters.

3.0 out of 5 stars Lack of Chelsea, May 14, 2011
I was slightly disappointed. I laughed out loud for all three of chelseas other books. I guess I just didnt realize that this was ALL written by her friends and family. I laughed here and there but nothing like Handlers past books. Unfortunaly I cant say that I would recommend it to my friends or family that share my love for Chelsea Handler!

Lies that Chelsea Handler Told Me
Lies that Chelsea Handler Told Me by Chelsea Handler (Hardcover - May 10, 2011)
Used & New from: $0.01