Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Black Friday egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Gifts Under $50 Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer bf15 bf15 bf15 $30 Off Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Black Friday Deals Shop Now DOTD

on June 30, 2001
In September last year my darling mum died. She had cancer but died a peaceful and almost painless death. Mum had no fear of death or dying. But from the moment she died, I have desperately wanted to know where she went. I do not believe that a human being's life is completely snuffed out upon death. Reading Raymond Moody's book confirmed my belief. I no longer wonder what happened to Mum, where she went or even where she is now - I am at peace about all that. All my life I have deeply feared the inevitability of my own death. Now, when I think of death, I am no longer anxious and afraid. Again, I feel peace. Dr Moody's research has given me an intelligent, substantiated answer to what I once believed was an unanswerable question about the unknown. His book went straight to the heart of my need. If you fear death, or have lost someone you love, read Life after Life. It will answer many of your questions, diminish your fear and relieve some of your pain.
1010 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 7, 2001
Raymond Moody did a survey of people who had near death experiences. He found that all of the participants in the survey experienced God unconditional love. I believe this is the first publication about these experiences. It must be the survey Lewis makes reference to in his book An Encounter With A Prophet. It is enlightening to see how all of these people responded to these questions before the media got a hold on the subject and attracted the fundamental religious fanatics
on May 24, 1996
This book is a wonderful gift for our recently bereaved friends, or those who have not
yet accepted the loss of a loved one. It is compatible with most religious outlooks and
This very original work is a joy to read, and is a great solace and comfort to anyone
who has ever had to deal with death of friend or family. Insights are given as to the true
nature of death as a sequel to life, and the reality of a glorious afterlife. Largely due to
improvements in medical technologies, many people are now brought back from near-death, often
with reports of their experiences upon entering and glimpsing another world just over the
threshhold between life and death...Their first hand reports are thrilling. The manner in which
Dr. Moody presents these experiences, shared with him over the years by his patients, is sensitive
and meaningful, never morbid or frightening. Upon completion, the reader may well exclaim, "Death,
where is thy sting?".
This is a "must read"!
on December 31, 2003
One day in 1995 I died, and had a NDE. Ever since then, I've been reading everything I can on the subject. According to most stories I've read, I had an unusual one, not going down a tunnel, but experiencing many interesting phenomena all the same. It seems to me that there are some NDE books and magazine articles that are just hype, and published just to give recognition. I have found, through my many years and multitudes of books on the subject, that there is an underlining truth and spirit that pervades the true experiences. So, I have compiled a list of my best reads for NDE books - ones that I consider genuine and adding validating light to the personal NDE experience. I have left out compilations, these are personal narratives. I hope you enjoy them too.
Embraced by the Light ------by Betty J. Eadie
Psychic Gifts ---------by Tiffany Snow
Saved by the Light --------by Dannion Brinkley
4 Days in Eternity ---------by Wayne F.A. Marentette
After the Light -------------by Kimberly Clark Sharp
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 28, 2005
It does not matter what race you are, but if you have experienced or know anyone who has experienced near death than this is a book that you should definately consider reading. It does not matter if you are a religous person because there are several people who give their experiences of near-death that are not religious. This wonderful book is about people's experiences with near death. Each and everyone of us will experience death in many different ways, in which Moody has shown throughout his book. He touches on the phenomenon of death, the experience of dying where people actually say they travel rapidly through a very dark long tunnel, paralles, questions, explanations, and people's impressions of the overall book.

The reason why I have chosen to read this particular book is because my grandmother experienced a near death situation. She was rushed to the hospital one night where she remained in the ER for several hours because of heart failure. The nurses and doctors told us to go in a hold her hand and say our last words with her because they thought that she wasn't going to make it. When I was in the ER I could tell that she was in severe pain. She kept saying, Please don't let me die..." As she was repeating herself over and over she had her hands raised in the air like she was reaching for something. Later after she recovered she told us that she saw two angels and a bright light, therefore Moody has won over my decision on whether or not people experience a "real death" experience.

In this book Moody tells his readers what it is like to die. Several people are affraid of facing death, but this book has made me over come my fears of dying. Moody presents real life experiences that people have submitted to him of their near-death experiences. Many people wonder if they are hallucinating or really experiencing death. Although, Moody says death is only where resuscitation is not taking place, even though these people truly believe that they have experienced what death is going to be like. Some people say that they are glad to know that they have lived life right because it showed them going to heaven rather than hell. Also, there were several people who mentioned that they could hear the doctors pronounce them dead and they tried to tell the nurses and doctors that they weren't but felt that they could not talk or could not move.

After reading this book I was so amazed to find that Moody showed two sides to his argument. He showed the side of what he believed, which was that people really were experiencing near-death and the other side which is where people did not believe that this was true. Moody inserted and question and explantion section in his book, which made it really helpful to see both sides of the argument. He even presented questions that contradicted what he believed and he did his best to give a clear explanation of why he believed in near-death. Moody also was very honest and told people when he agreed with their reasoning on certain subjects.

Moody clearly explained his views in such a profound and meaningful way throughtout his entire book. In the end of the book Moody says that everyone should not fear death after reading several people's experiences. He says that death should be an everlasting exerience that should be filled with joy and ever lasting life on the other side. You can either take his word or live life worrying when your time is going to come to move on. I strongly consider all people who are striving for a degree in the medical field to read this journey of death book. This book will make you want to keep reading to find out what else others have to say about their near death experiences. I hope you enjoy the book!
on February 14, 2006
This is a book review on "Life after Life" and the sequel "Reflections on Life After Life" by Dr. Raymond Moody, published by Mockingbird and Guide Post, copyright 1975.

It is an important note to read the introduction to this book. Dr. Moody explains that on one hand this is a book that describes research of over a hundred and fifty interviews from individual descriptions of near death experiences but also a personal overview of Dr. Moody`s thoughts and beliefs from their testimonies. The book is really two in one. The first book is a genuine explanation of what takes place when a person dies. The second book tells of new revelations of the importance of knowledge and judgment. Each book follows the recollections with explanations and questions people have regarding the findings of Dr. Moody. The final chapter tells the epilogue.

The first book begins with the Phenomenon of death. Chapter one covers the curiosity and taboo of the unknown regarding life after death. In today's time most of the world's mysteries have been solved or disclaimed. We humans love to take what we don't know and relate what we do know to established (schemes). The best scheme humans can use for death is sleeping. Yet, the idea of eternal sleep keeps us uneasy, our minds can't equate to never waking up. There seems to be a hush, hush on the subject of death in our society. Our culture believes that to speak of death means it will hunt you down and find you.

This book reels you in by divulging the untold mysteries of death through Dr. Moody's interviews with his patients. The stories are compiled to show similar sequential steps that take place when a person dies. It is reported that the first step after clinically dying is hearing the people around you state you are dead. Many people have said they could hear nurses and doctors communicating on how to revive them. The next step in the journey of death is a feeling of peace and quiet. The best description given is a feeling of a warm blanket that engulfs you. The third step is described as the dark tunnel, which goes hand in hand with a sound of buzzing, music, or the sound of a vacuum. Proceeding the sounds is the fifth step, an out of body experience. Even though each person recalls a small amount of variation to leaving their bodies, most said they entered out from their head and elevated above their bodies. The last experience seems the most life changing for each person, which is witnessing the being of light. The light is described as an unearthly brilliance but is most definitely a being. Most people have one unanimous statement; the light represents a spiritual form of love and warmth. There seems to be a correlation to the remarks that the being ask each person, "Are you ready to die?" or "What have you done with your life to show me?"

The second book of Dr. Moody's is a continuation of new findings from new interviews who`s clinical deaths were of longer periods of time. This book reveals more astonishing accounts of the mysterious celestial sprit world. The testimonies tell the value of knowledge, and how a person's decisions affect their after life, including the subject of suicide. Many patients stated that the gift of the universe's knowledge seemed to encompass them during their time in death. Yet, when returned to their bodies the mind submitted to its earthly cognitive abilities. Most people returned with a quest for learning and understood the importance for seeking wisdom. The subject of judgment is told to come in the form of a panoramic view of your life. Each person must give a self-judgment on their past behaviors and choices. However, the being of light seemed to show great comfort of any wrong and reassured people bad choices can be a result of learning.

In my opinion this book brings great comfort regarding the fear of death and an important message of love. People can use the knowledge given in this book as a source of reassurance that their loved ones are in a warm and peaceful place. Even after you read this book and carry doubt the message of love can't be wrong. It is agreed that our time on earth is short and love is the only thing you can leave behind.
on September 1, 1998
I had a NDE in 1981. At the time I thought I was just hallucinating. I never mentioned it to anybody for fear of ridicule. After reading Dr. Moody's book, I was astounded at the exact experience that these other people had that was just like mine. I learned that the purpose of life is to experience and pass on to others, God's great love for each one of us. I think this is clear from the interviews in this book. It is also in a video that you can rent at the videostore. Don't happy! Smile, God does love each one of us just the way we are.
Jeff Sears
on December 4, 2000
I have owned this book for more than 10 years, and I have read it and reread it many times. I already had believed in life after death, but after reading Moody's book, I felt like I actually understood it (as much as you can understand it). I also feel a peace about death that I did not feel before. I HIGHLY recommend this book to all, especially those who are afraid of dying.
on May 6, 2007
If you want to know more about matters of life and death, there are far, far better books than this one. Copyright says it was first published in 1975. Maybe Mr. Moody has come a long way since then, but I don't know as this is the only book of his I've read, so far.

I've been studying this subject for about 8 years, now. This book has serious problems regarding the impressions it can leave you with. The only part of this book that I find useful are the cases of NDEs Moody's recorded. I applaud his efforts, and they are admirable. He's done a lot good in this area.

However, with respect to this book, his philosophical and religious speculations leave a great deal to be desired. On these subjects he didn't have the shoes for the territory. He's even inconsistent in his speculations with some of the accounts of NDEs he's relating in this book.

IF you want to read on a more seriuos level about what's beyond this life, then I suggest Michael Newton's two books on "life between lives." Look up his name here and get both books. There are others that have written on this subject too, but Newton is the only one that I know of who spent decades with hypnosis patients and compiling his data. It makes a difference. To have someone relate to you what they know from a near-death-experience is very limited. Deep hypnotic states reveal far more.

I also highly recommend Brian Weiss' book, Many Lives, Many Masters; also read William Buhlman (2 books) and Robert Monroe (3 books). Weiss has written other books, but read the one above first, if you're new to this topic.

If your're a serious minded seeker of after-life knowledge, you'll get nothing more than a few cases of NDEs in Moody's book, and some seriously flawed meanderings on philosophical matters. To some people that may make no difference; to others it will. This book is also written in an extremely casual style, rather on the level of news paper articles.
88 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 12, 2000
Before reading this book, I didn't believe in life after death. After reading it, I did. I'm not the gullible type. This is a sincere book, not a fraud, and its conclusions are reasonable. While many other books in the New Age section seem questionable to me, this one doesn't.