Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Subscribe & Save Mother's Day Gifts Shop now Amazon Gift Card Offer TL256 TL256 TL256  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl ReadyRide Bikes from Diamondback SnS

on January 7, 2001
Raymond Moody did a survey of people who had near death experiences. He found that all of the participants in the survey experienced God unconditional love. I believe this is the first publication about these experiences. It must be the survey Lewis makes reference to in his book An Encounter With A Prophet. It is enlightening to see how all of these people responded to these questions before the media got a hold on the subject and attracted the fundamental religious fanatics
0Comment|312 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 24, 1996
This book is a wonderful gift for our recently bereaved friends, or those who have not
yet accepted the loss of a loved one. It is compatible with most religious outlooks and
doctrines.
This very original work is a joy to read, and is a great solace and comfort to anyone
who has ever had to deal with death of friend or family. Insights are given as to the true
nature of death as a sequel to life, and the reality of a glorious afterlife. Largely due to
improvements in medical technologies, many people are now brought back from near-death, often
with reports of their experiences upon entering and glimpsing another world just over the
threshhold between life and death...Their first hand reports are thrilling. The manner in which
Dr. Moody presents these experiences, shared with him over the years by his patients, is sensitive
and meaningful, never morbid or frightening. Upon completion, the reader may well exclaim, "Death,
where is thy sting?".
This is a "must read"!
on February 14, 2006
This is a book review on "Life after Life" and the sequel "Reflections on Life After Life" by Dr. Raymond Moody, published by Mockingbird and Guide Post, copyright 1975.

It is an important note to read the introduction to this book. Dr. Moody explains that on one hand this is a book that describes research of over a hundred and fifty interviews from individual descriptions of near death experiences but also a personal overview of Dr. Moody`s thoughts and beliefs from their testimonies. The book is really two in one. The first book is a genuine explanation of what takes place when a person dies. The second book tells of new revelations of the importance of knowledge and judgment. Each book follows the recollections with explanations and questions people have regarding the findings of Dr. Moody. The final chapter tells the epilogue.

The first book begins with the Phenomenon of death. Chapter one covers the curiosity and taboo of the unknown regarding life after death. In today's time most of the world's mysteries have been solved or disclaimed. We humans love to take what we don't know and relate what we do know to established (schemes). The best scheme humans can use for death is sleeping. Yet, the idea of eternal sleep keeps us uneasy, our minds can't equate to never waking up. There seems to be a hush, hush on the subject of death in our society. Our culture believes that to speak of death means it will hunt you down and find you.

This book reels you in by divulging the untold mysteries of death through Dr. Moody's interviews with his patients. The stories are compiled to show similar sequential steps that take place when a person dies. It is reported that the first step after clinically dying is hearing the people around you state you are dead. Many people have said they could hear nurses and doctors communicating on how to revive them. The next step in the journey of death is a feeling of peace and quiet. The best description given is a feeling of a warm blanket that engulfs you. The third step is described as the dark tunnel, which goes hand in hand with a sound of buzzing, music, or the sound of a vacuum. Proceeding the sounds is the fifth step, an out of body experience. Even though each person recalls a small amount of variation to leaving their bodies, most said they entered out from their head and elevated above their bodies. The last experience seems the most life changing for each person, which is witnessing the being of light. The light is described as an unearthly brilliance but is most definitely a being. Most people have one unanimous statement; the light represents a spiritual form of love and warmth. There seems to be a correlation to the remarks that the being ask each person, "Are you ready to die?" or "What have you done with your life to show me?"

The second book of Dr. Moody's is a continuation of new findings from new interviews who`s clinical deaths were of longer periods of time. This book reveals more astonishing accounts of the mysterious celestial sprit world. The testimonies tell the value of knowledge, and how a person's decisions affect their after life, including the subject of suicide. Many patients stated that the gift of the universe's knowledge seemed to encompass them during their time in death. Yet, when returned to their bodies the mind submitted to its earthly cognitive abilities. Most people returned with a quest for learning and understood the importance for seeking wisdom. The subject of judgment is told to come in the form of a panoramic view of your life. Each person must give a self-judgment on their past behaviors and choices. However, the being of light seemed to show great comfort of any wrong and reassured people bad choices can be a result of learning.

In my opinion this book brings great comfort regarding the fear of death and an important message of love. People can use the knowledge given in this book as a source of reassurance that their loved ones are in a warm and peaceful place. Even after you read this book and carry doubt the message of love can't be wrong. It is agreed that our time on earth is short and love is the only thing you can leave behind.
on September 1, 1998
I had a NDE in 1981. At the time I thought I was just hallucinating. I never mentioned it to anybody for fear of ridicule. After reading Dr. Moody's book, I was astounded at the exact experience that these other people had that was just like mine. I learned that the purpose of life is to experience and pass on to others, God's great love for each one of us. I think this is clear from the interviews in this book. It is also in a video that you can rent at the videostore. Don't worry...be happy! Smile, God does love each one of us just the way we are.
Jeff Sears
on December 4, 2000
I have owned this book for more than 10 years, and I have read it and reread it many times. I already had believed in life after death, but after reading Moody's book, I felt like I actually understood it (as much as you can understand it). I also feel a peace about death that I did not feel before. I HIGHLY recommend this book to all, especially those who are afraid of dying.
on January 12, 2000
Before reading this book, I didn't believe in life after death. After reading it, I did. I'm not the gullible type. This is a sincere book, not a fraud, and its conclusions are reasonable. While many other books in the New Age section seem questionable to me, this one doesn't.
on May 2, 2008
As a doctor (MD) and a scientist (Ph.D.) in neurosciences, it was with some resistance and skepticism that I listened to the audio-CD version of the book "Life after life" by Dr. Raymond A. Moody Jr. However, because I do not believe in an overall incompatibility between Science and Religion, I decided to listen to the CD anyway. I am extremely happy that I have listened to this CD; in the course of some 6 months I have reviewed the whole CD at least 3 times. I believe that Dr. Moody Jr. gives a very clear account of the near-death experiences of the subjects that he interviewed and I did not find any significant scientific misstep into the book. Although, at the book's end, it is possible for the reader to construe alternative explanations for the described near-death experiences and to interpret them as simple random fluctuations of the mind, this kind of alternative explanations only represent the nature of the Scientific investigation and of Religion experiences. Certain phenomena cannot me measured by Science and we are left only with the personal description of those who experienced them. However, this does not imply that they did not occur. It is my opinion that Dr. Moody Jr. took the necessary precautions against "fraud" or an "over-actively imagination" and I am left with the impression that the experiences described truly represent Spiritual phenomena.
on November 1, 2005
I read the original first edition of this book. It had an "afterword" in which Moody discussed many people who had truly horrifying near-death experiences - returning with incredible horror and terror at what they were about to enter. It changed their lives, and caused them to re-examine who they were and how they lived.

I feel it was nearly criminal to cut this most-important, balancing section out of later editions, as it leaves people with the erroneous idea that everyone faces a beautific afterlife with a loving God, which is certainly not true. Moody's actual, complete, balanced research, shows exactly what we're told in scripture - that for those who know, love, and obey God, there is an afterlife of bliss and beauty and love. For those who do not honor God in this life, there is an afterlife of horror and agony. No surprises in that.

But how misleading to cut that original material out of his book!
11 comment|54 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 19, 2015
I'm twenty years old and going through an existential crisis thanks to Obsessive Compulsive Disorder. My brain cannot accept "avoiding" inevitabilities, such as death, regardless of how normal they appear to be. If it exists, and if it will happen to me and I am aware, I feel the need to know everything about it and take a stance on it, so to speak.
Unfortunately this is not easy with the topic of death. We do not understand it, for whatever reason. We prefer to ignore that it ever happens because all we know is here and now. We could fret over the unknown, but it infringes upon our happiness, so we choose to "forget" about it as long as we possibly can. OCD has made this mostly impossible for me in various stages throughout my life and I finally got sick of dealing with it. I put it off best as I could using small comforts, learning about religions, and ignoring it if at all I could find a way.
Eventually I got tired of theories. They didn't mean anything to me. I've had personal "spiritual" experiences myself that are highly suspect, and I'll admit it, but my brain was never convinced. So I decided to at least try and dig deeper for what we do know about life after death. My expectations were low, and I was prepared to deal with nothing but speculation. Given that the only information we as living humans would have about death will come from people who have returned from it against all odds, I was not prepared for the depth of continuity, detail, and undeniable clarity that I found in this book.

Life After Life was one book I bought in a huge pile of others to address many concerns I've had, and it was the only one I took a chance on regarding death. I wanted to know facts, even if there were few. I wanted science and history and accounts from everyday people in Joe Six-Pack language that would make even a skeptic say, "That might be worth my consideration." This is where Life After Life delivered. I had it pegged as a book that would provide me with as-good-as-it-gets information about the afterlife, without an agenda. Needless to say I wasn't expecting much. People are mostly interested in dispelling fear and I just wanted to know the truth, whatever it happened to be. What it happened to be was, quite simply, amazing.

The book introduces itself with Moody's credentials, biases, personal history, and investment in his studies. It was nice to know this about him. Throughout the beginning, where he inserts many passages from dozens of people regarding their experiences of the "afterlife," he does not seem to show any personal slants or implications about the information he received in his studies. He tells us plain and simple: these are the things that many people seemed to agree on, regardless of their religious, personal, cultural, and emotional history. The similarities in the stories alone were amazing to me right off the bat. The explanations of what people felt, heard, and saw were clear regardless of how many times they expressed difficulty in putting their experiences into words.
Moody breaks down the timeline of events very cleanly from start to finish, making the surprisingly uniform recollections in their supernatural nature very easy to digest. Someone with no knowledge of philosophy or medicine would be able to understand clearly.

The section that really got to me was Moody's commentary on ancient spiritual or philosophical material, based purely on the similarities of their contents to the experiences of "20th century Americans" who likely didn't know anything about Plato or the Tibetan Book of the Dead. The latter was the one that astounded me. Ancient tellings of life after death lined up almost completely with these modern experiences to the point where it shocked me.

The material present here is convincing, well written, diverse, and very, very detailed. I did not think any of these things would be true when I decided to invest in the topic.

I went into this book daring to ask for what little I expected. What I received was immense comfort that I thought I would never, ever receive until I really did die. I want to thank everyone involved with this book (and this kind of research) for their dedication to a topic that our society would rather not talk about. At most it is terrifying, and at the very least it is interesting. Either way I appreciate the wonderful read and will return to it whenever I feel doubt again.
on August 17, 2015
It's a very good book, but I prefer books with firsthand in depth experience in NDE's. I would recommend it as it did help me understand my own loved ones experience of passing over to the other side.