1,531 Reviews
 (1,145)

4.0 out of 5 stars This was the first study Bible I owned...
I was recently asked by someone who had read some of my reviews which study Bible I recommended. Such a hard question, since there are many excellent ones available! My answer to him compared the NIV Life Application Bible and the NIV Study Bible. Here are my thoughts on these two, plus comments on the Quest Study Bible as well.
The Quest Study Bible doesn't go as...
Published on December 17, 2000 by Soozie4Him

3.0 out of 5 stars Overall Good Deal
Published on April 3, 2009 by Megan Collins

3.0 out of 5 stars Overall Good Deal, April 3, 2009
This is a very cute Bible & I bought it for a friend as a gift who recently started attending church with me & didn't have one. My only compliant is maybe I should have been more careful, I thought the Bible was pink & black, but it is indeed pink & brown. It is a convenient size & stylish...I don't think she'll leave the house on Sunday without it! :) One suggestion though is you might also want to purchase tabs for the books, because this doesn't have any so it is somewhat difficult for new users who don't know where to go to find a particular book in the Bible.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tremendously valuable, January 19, 2000
Keenan Walker (Research Triangle Park-Raleigh, NC) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Life Application Study Bible NIV (Hardcover)
I plan to purchase a copy for myself-I'm always reading my wife's copy! I found this version to be of great value for the wealth of resource information it provides, as well as the easier-to-read language (vs. KJV which I use in church services for it's accuracy). With the KJV, I've used footnotes and scriptural cross references to gain understanding but the Life Application Bible provides so much information throughout each chapter I'm reading. My study is much more efficient!

5.0 out of 5 stars Makes the Bible Come Alive...., March 29, 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Life Application Study Bible NIV (Hardcover)
First I would like to say that a Bible has been sent to the person from LATVIA above. (Just in case other Christians were wondering if someone has responded to the request....)
If you've ever had difficulty understanding the significance of certains passages in Scripture, the study notes in this Bible really make the Scriptures come alive! One feature I really like is the user-friendly page layout, with the reference column being on the side, rather than down the center of each page. This really opens up the page and invites you to read what's written on it. There are 16 pages of full color maps in the back, along with a generous 24 blank page notetaking section, in addition to the .75 inch margin throughout the text.
I would not hesitate recommending the Life Application Study Bible to anyone who wants to understand the Scriptures better. It would also be the perfect choice for any first-time Bible reader or someone new to the faith because of the explanatory notes and charts throughout the book. You won't find this Bible just sitting on your shelf and collecting dust....

4.0 out of 5 stars A wealth of info, a great tome..., September 3, 2002
This review is from: Life Application Study Bible NIV (Hardcover)
How does one review the Good Book? With trepidation I suppose? Or not, for others... Here I am going to review it like any other book. You probably don't care about my feelings on the subject matter so I have limited myself to the book itself.
I've had this particular Bible since it was first released and have found it to be a fascinating read with enlightening footnotes and sidebars related to history. Introductions to each book provide the reader with info on the Author, time of writing, location of writing, circumstances under which the book was written, and to whom the book was written. Most 'study' Bibles include this sort of information. This one however, includes interesting footnotes and profiles of major characters including their strengths and weaknesses. There are also in-depth sections related to Bible prophecy, specifically those that were fulfilled by Christ, and the inter-relationships of the Gospel accounts, how they show different perspectives on the same events and how each tends to highlight different themes or events. Also included are a helpful index in the back and a well-written introduction about the origins of this particular study edition. Study maps in the back provide a good reference point for many of the accounts contained within.
I have had this Bible for years and I've enjoyed reading it. A more serious study of these texts might look to a Ryrie or Scofield study Bible or perhaps John MacArthur's revised New King James version which includes much info and disection of the original Greek and Hebrew texts. Hence the minus one star. Most people are not scholars of Hebrew or Greek so this rating can be taken with a grain of salt.
A good Bible for the starter or the mature believer. The Life Application Study Bible is easy to read and thought-provoking. Careful tho, these words may just change your life. You shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free. Indeed.

5.0 out of 5 stars A wealth of information for the growing Christian., March 30, 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Life Application Study Bible NIV (Hardcover)
Let's face it, if you are considering this Bible you are most likely not searching for the ultimate end all version of a book which will change your life. You are more than likely an individual who has already made that all important personal decision in your life to follow Christ. And you are also most likely someone who picked up either your family bible or the one you have heard so much about (KJV) and tried to read it. While I will always maintain personally the KJV contains the most beautiful and poetic scripture (maybe most accurate based on original texts, I'm not a biblical scholar, just a Christian), there are times when I feel overwhelmed tackling chapter upon chapter of thous arts thines and ye's.
Many years ago I received a copy of the NIV and found it much easier to read and understand than my KJV, albeit less poetic. I remembered this after I had been born again and searched for understanding in my new life. As I stated earlier, if you are considering this particular Bible, you are most likely NOT interested in an evaluation of the NIV translation, nor the Bible itself. I'm writing under the assumption you already like the NIV translation of the Bible, and want to find a Bible which can help you bring the Word of God, as well as it's context and surroundings, closer to you, so you can apply them to your life, right now.
The life application bible has done this for me. Of the voluminous text, I have read and am rereading the New Testament, and am roughly 600 pages shy of reading, then rereading the Old Testament--including all footnotes--2235 pages in all. I have an understanding now of the Bible I would never have thought possible through self study. The character profiles have helped immensely to understand the people behind the scripture, and put into grasp the truth of the words I have read.
If you are looking for a Bible which will assist you in understanding the sometimes overwhelming text, this particular version can help a young (in faith) Christian solidify his or her beliefs, and more importantly, to understand the Word upon which his or her faith is based. Is there room for other translations than this? Of course. And as one grows in faith, more scholarly Bibles are available. The Life Application Bible fills the need it advertises in my opinion, and I am very grateful to have found it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Strongly recommended as a personal and professional scriptural studies textbook, April 10, 2009
For decades, the Zondervan Publishing House has been a premier publisher of bibles and biblical study materials for Christian communities, seminaries, and study groups. One of their newest releases is the "Life Application Study Bible" which was specifically produced for Christians wanting to explore what relevance the Bible has for them in their personal lives today. Based upon the New International Version (NIV) translation of the Bible, this edition is enhanced with more than 10,000 'in-text' application notes addressing the message of Scripture and the practical application of scripture in modern life. Enhanced with the inclusion of more than one hundred biblical personality profiles, timelines, overviews, outlines, in-text maps, updated in-text charts and diagrams, new information on the Intertestamental Period, a Christian worker's supplement, a dictionary-concordance, a side-column reference system, a harmony of the four gospels, 'red letter' highlighting of Christ's words, sixteen pages of full-color maps, a presentation page, a single-column format using nine-point text, the "Life Application Study Bible" is strongly recommended as a personal and professional scriptural studies textbook, as well as an important addition to church, seminary, family, academic, and community library "Christian Studies" reference and supplemental curriculum resource collections.

5.0 out of 5 stars It Answers the "So what?" Question, December 17, 2011
lapackco (East Bay of San Francisco) - See all my reviews
I have used the NIV Life Application Bible for a number of years and have appreciated it. It helps answer the question "So what?" when reading a Bible passage. Having ordered the newest edition, I have the following comments:

1. I like the NIV 2011 update. There are many parts of the Bible that are addressed to all the people, men and women, males and females and the update acknowledges that. At the same time, passages addressed to men alone are translated as such. In the past "men" and "brothers" meant people, humanity. Today they don't. I'm glad this translation works accurately to speak to our culture.
2. As far as the updated Life Application part of the Bible I can see some changes in the graphics and some additional articles. However, as far as I can tell, there are no significant changes to this edition.
3. It is printed in the USA

My advice is to buy this if:
1. You are looking for a good Bible that applies the Word to your life.
2. You wore out your old Life Application Bible or you left it on the top of your car as you left church.
3. You want the Life Application Bible in the updated NIV.
Otherwise, I wouldn't buy it just because it is "updated and expanded".

3.0 out of 5 stars Focus is on Application Not Study, December 26, 2006
This review is from: Life Application Study Bible NIV (Hardcover)
First things first, I am not giving 3 stars to the NIV portion of this Bible, but the study notes since that is what differentiates it from other NIV Bibles.

Regarding the notes within the Bible I will first list the things I like about it.

1. Numerous references to other verses that relate to the section being read.

2. Footnotes provide very helpful information when trying to understand exactly how much a shekel is worth and converting other "Biblical" units to something we can understand in today's terms.

3. Provides footnotes for those verses that have been removed from the KJV due to the verses not being present in older manuscripts therefore allowing the reader to still see the verses from the original KJV.

4. The comparision between the four gospels is awesome and really helps to bring them all together.

The problems I have with this version are the following:

1. Introduction to chapters doesn't provide enough background information or explanation regarding where they get some of the ideas.

2. The notes at the bottom are rarely there when I really need them and when they are I find a lot of times they gloss over big issues with Sunday School answers of "Love one another" or "Don't sin" when I expect more.

3. The 365 day reading plan given only covers key selections rather than every verse in the Bible.

This Bible ultimately provides a lot of useful information and would make a great addition to any Christian's library and would be good for daily reading. However, for those looking for a Bible which helps you really dig into what it all means, please keep in mind that this Bible focuses on the application not the study and may very well leave you disappointed as it did me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book for leaders., October 16, 2009
I recently bought this bible to us in a bible study that I am a part of teaching. I wanted a bible that was thorough and would add an extra dimension to simply reading the bible. The bible is single column and reads like a regular book which I like very much. Another feature I like is that the verses are each individually broken down and explained in detail. Each book of the bible has a very detailed introduction that includes things like time tables, themes, authors, blueprints, history, key verses, key people, and in some cases maps. It also includes a small Christian workers resource section and 356 day reading plan table. The index(which some people have said this bible doesn't have but it does) is very thorough and extensive. There is the actually topical index as well as a bible dictionary/concordance. The bible is a bit more expensive than most but that is because of the work and detail that has gone into the explanations of everything in this bible as well as the leather bound cover. It is a beautiful bible inside and out.

5.0 out of 5 stars The "Cheaters" Bible, December 9, 1999
This review is from: Life Application Study Bible NIV (Hardcover)
As a Sunday School teacher, it is pretty awesome to see students with their Life Application Bibles because they always seem to have the answers to the questions I put forth. I tell them they are "cheaters" for having a study Bible with all the teachers answers in it. This is an incredible tool I firmly believe any Bible student should have.

Life Application Study Bible NIV
Life Application Study Bible NIV by Tyndale (Hardcover - June 30, 1997)
Used & New from: $0.99