Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it PME Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro STEM
Customer Discussions > Life as We Knew It forum

Life As We Knew It

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 46 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 7, 2006 10:56:57 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 3, 2006 10:37:19 AM PDT
Hi. I wrote Life As We Knew It, and since Amazon doesn't seem to mind if writers write about their books, I'll take advantage. It's bragging if I say what's good about the novel, but it's reporting if I quote what other people have said. I got all the following quotes from my obsessive googling, and none of the people whose comments I'm about to type are, to the best of my knowledge, friends or family members:

"I couldn't put it down. This is one thrilling, scary, believable, YA novel."

"It's one of the most emotionally heart-wrenching books I've read in a long time, and I loved it."

"This is a beautifully written, timeless, timely tale that will stay with you long after the cover is closed."

"I tell everyone to read this book, regardless of age."

Even the person who was least enthusiastic about the book (definitely not a friend or family member) ended with, "Overall an engaging read that kept my eyes glued to the page."

So far the only print review is a starred Booklist. Life As We Knew It has been nominated for the ALA Best Books For Young Adults list (winners will be announced in January). It's the January selection of the Junior Library Guild. And it's an upcoming selection on DearReader.com.

I hope you forgive me for going on about Life As We Knew It, and I also hope that someone out there orders a copy from Amazon, because Amazon rankings are like weight, the lower the better, and right now my rankings would make an elephant look skinny.

ETA Sept.21: Do I care that this is a monologue. Nope.

I want to add that the book is getting reviews and thus far they're all excellent.

Kirkus Reviews wrote: Plausible science fiction with a frighteningly realistic reminder of recent tragedies here and abroad.

School Library Journal wrote: Pfeffer tones down the terror but otherwise crafts a frighteningly plausible account of the local effects of a future worldwide catastrophe...The author provides a glimmer of hope at the end, but readers will still be left stunned and thoughtful.

VOYA wrote: With just enough science to frame the fiction, the plot is plausible and appealing to readers who may not usually explore the genre...Pfeffer's strength lies in portraying the complex relationships in a blended and extended family focused on survival...She also creates unlikely heroes in her secondary characters, who teach Miranda that if she reaches down deep enough, she is stronger than she ever thought she could be.

Okay, I admit it. I quoted all that because I think it's funny they all use the word "plausible."

In other news, The Junior Library Guild named Life As We Knew It a Premier Selection and sent me a certificate to prove it.

I forgot to mention in my first go round that the cover for Life As We Knew It is embossed. The moon and the title and my name are all three dimensional. A friend of mine said publishing houses sometimes emboss the jackets of their first printings. I don't know if Harcourt follows that policy or if they think there will be a second printing. All I know is I love having an embossed cover.

And finally people out there (hi!) are actually buying the book. My ranking was under 20,000 a few minutes ago. Yesterday I linked over to my book Kid Power and it had a ranking somewhere in the 2,000,000s, which means under 20,000 is in the top one percent of books selling on Amazon. I think of this like a high school ranking, where trust me, I was nowhere near the top one percent.

Anyway, thanks to anybody who bought my book. I hope you like it. I'm sure you'll find it plausible.

Sept. 30

A couple of updates before the book's official publication date (Oct. 1 for those of you who intend to send me a card for the occasion).

Girls' Life Magazine (available at Borders and Hannaford-at least that's where I saw copies) listed Life As We Knew It and three other books among their Top Ten Picks in their October/November issue. The magazine costs $3.50, well worth it if you want to see a picture of my book jacket on nice slick paper.

While I'm encouraging you to spend money, let me put in two words for the audio version of Life As We Knew It. First of all, Emily Bauer who does the reading, does a terrific job. It was very exciting for me to hear my words spoken out loud, but in a very short amount of time I found myself lost in the story and in her characterizations.

But if that's not reason enough to buy the audio, you might want to consider it as an investment. The audio version was put out by a different company than the one that published the book, and someone screwed up in production and credited the wrong publishing house for the book (Houghton rather than Harcourt) on the box. Presumably if the audio goes into a second printing, they'll correct the information.

But you know how much that upside down stamp is worth. So you might want to quick buy an audio version of Life As We Knew It to put your grandkids through college with. Of course it will have to be unopened and in mint condition, so if you want to actually listen to Emily Bauer's excellent rendition, you'll have to buy a second copy as well.

See how easy it is to find a really good reason to spend money!

Oct.3

I know you're all waiting for an update.

Today's good news include a good review from Horn Book (none of these reviews have had any "but"s in them, which I find quite gratifying). This one calls Life As We Knew It "taut" "effective" and (my personal favorite) "riveting."

And The Looking Glass Review (www.lookingglassreview.com) has named Life As We Knew It as their Editor's Choice for the month of October. They call the book "beautifully written" and "sometimes harrowing and often very moving."

My friend Janet stayed up until 2:30 in the morning to read the book, even though today is a work day.

And I absolutely love the new review on this page.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 5, 2006 12:49:05 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 5, 2006 1:00:25 PM PDT
Peter says:
Hi,

I'm a longtime reader of your books. I loved LIFE AS WE KNEW IT so much that I sent you a fan letter. I mailed it to the address you have listed in Contemporary Authors, but got the letter back stamped "Not deliverable as addressed, unable to forward." Can you provide a street address or e-mail address so I can send you a gushing note about your great new book?

Thanks,

Peter

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 12, 2006 8:48:11 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 17, 2006 11:30:51 AM PDT
I'm sorry it's taken me so long to reply. The truth is it never occurred to me anyone else would write here (or even would be reading what I wrote), so I stopped looking. Last night my friend Janet (she who stayed up 'til all hours of the morning reading Life As We Knew It) called and told me about Peter's post, and this morning another friend of mine emailed me about it.

In the interim, I emailed my editor to find out what address I should give for any future fan mail (I love fan mail). I'm not going to put my home address on account of you never know how many axe murderers might be reading this.

Letters should be sent to:

Susan Beth Pfeffer
@Harcourt
15 East 26 St.
New York, NY 10010

I eagerly await the onslaught of letters.

Oct. 17

Now that I know two friends and my brother all read this, I'll bring them (and anyone else who might be around) up to date.

Life As We Knew It just got a starred review from Publishers Weekly. How I love those stars. The review says (among other things): The book may be lengthy, but most readers will find it absorbing from first page to last.

I assume that when the paperback comes out, the jacket copy will read: Absorbing from first page to last.

I mean who needs to know that lengthy part, and surely most readers are all readers, since the ones who wouldn't find it absorbing from first page to last won't bother to read it (shame on them).

Publishers Weekly also says: Miranda's changing priorities, undying love for her family and heightened appreciation of simple pleasures will likely provoke discussion and inspire gratitude for life as we know it now.

In addition, there was a wonderful review of the book in BookPage Magazine, which called it "gripping," and says: Though this is a powerful story about a freak lunar event and its consequences, it's the spirit of appreciating day-to-day life that will resonate with readers.

My guess is all that gratitude and appreciation will be very shortlived. Heartfelt and sincere but shortlived.

Life As We Knew It was also named one of the October top ten books for teens in Instructor Magazine (of course this could be a less than thrilling endorsement if only eleven books for teens were published in October).

In addition, Life As We Knew It has been nominated for the American Library Association Quick Picks list for 2006, which is a list of books for reluctant readers. I hope it makes the list, because I like the idea that people who don't enjoy reading like my books anyway.

And in preparation for the avalanche of fan mail (trust me, I'll let you know when the first one arrives), I've ordered new stationary. I am such an optimist, as my friends and my brother can attest (how's that for a high class fifth grade vocabulary word). A grateful, appreciative optimist.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 20, 2006 1:25:04 PM PDT
M. Hanners says:
Hi Susan,

Just wanted to let you know how much I enjoyed your book. It is a great read and a good story. So now we are all waiting to hear what happens next to Miranda. Do things get better or worse? Does she ever hear from her father again? And was Brandon real or a mirage (do they have mirages on ice?) Sequel?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 23, 2006 3:48:58 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 23, 2006 3:49:47 PM PDT
Peter says:
I just logged on to announce that LIFE AS WE KNEW IT got a starred review in Publishers Weekly...but you beat me to it! (I was even going to quote the same line -- "absorbing from first page to last."

Anyway, congrats on the star. What goes better with a moon (even a partially-destroyed, lopsided moon) than a few stars?

Peter

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 26, 2006 12:03:16 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 30, 2006 8:27:20 AM PST
October 30-

Hello and farewell!

I'm going away for a week, away from obsessively checking my Amazon ranking and away from my various Google homes.

I think this is an excellent opportunity for everyone to post in this discussion. Think how thrilled I'll be when I get home if I should find people other than myself and Peter and M. Hanners (although of course they're welcome to post in my absence) have posted here.

Now don't be shy. Don't be critical, but don't be shy.

Have a great week anyone who might actually be reading this. Happy Halloween and Happy November.

October 25

Hi Peter! Hi M. Hanners! Hi anyone else who might read this!

I know people are reading it, because at Google (my little home away from home), this discussion is the second thing listed under "Life As We Knew It" Pfeffer. So someone other than my two friends and my brother (and I'm no longer certain about my brother) must visit this discussion area. Nice people. Lovable people, too shy to post or to send me fan mail (good thing about the fan mail, since I haven't gotten my new stationary yet).

I've learned a lot hanging out at "Life As We Knew It" Pfeffer. I've learned that there are people who are insufficiently effusive in their praises of my book (not shy, not lovable). I've learned that there are a lot of languages I don't know. And I've learned that at one school at least, Life As We Knew It is part of a book discussion group.

I think this discussion group idea is an excellent one. At this particular school, it's part of a mock Newberry program. I was so inspired by this information that I mentioned it to a librarian and she said she'd also like to use Life As We Knew It in a discussion group. Granted this particular librarian has been a friend of mine for so long that I was a bridesmaid at her wedding and a guest at her daughter's, but that doesn't mean she isn't completely objective. Objective and lovable.

I think Life As We Knew It would make an excellent book discussion book not merely for its literary qualities (which I am far too modest and objective to list) but because everyone could discuss what supplies they'd want in the house if the world was coming to an end.

Personally I think you can't go wrong with potato chips.

On a more Amazonesque note, yesterday Life As We Knew It achieved a personal best ranking of 6,583. I e-mailed one friend and one cousin to announce this and the friend e-mailed back and said the last she'd looked it was about 12,000, and the cousin e-mailed back and said the last she'd looked it was about 20,000, which shows that my friend and my cousin, while not addicted to The Amazon Game, do play it occasionally.

In honor of my extraordinary personal best 6,583 ranking, I looked up the weight of elephants. I'm happy to report 6,583 pounds is what a slightly chubby female elephant weighs. You know the kind- she's always saying the last 583 pounds are the hardest to drop.

Of course right now, the book is somewhere in the 30,000s, but I'm sure the orders will come flying in once people read this latest entry.

I'll be watching!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2006 10:11:46 AM PST
Ishtar says:
I loved the book, but what I really want to know is whether someone can really eat tulip bulbs?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2006 1:55:40 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 11, 2006 11:00:18 PM PST
Peter says:
Yes, and did the author personally research this by eating one? Norma Fox Mazer ate an insect while researching SATURDAY, THE TWELFTH OF OCTOBER (like LIFE AS WE KNEW IT, another wonderful book!) and she did it long before it became fashionable to eat bugs on TV's Fear Factor.

Peter

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2006 11:59:39 AM PST
Hello Peter. Hello Ishtar. Hello M. Hanners. Hello to all my friends and family and the occasional stranger who actually reads this thread!

No, I've never eaten any tulip bulbs. I remembered reading a long time ago that Audrey Hepburn and her mother ate tulip bulbs in Holland during World War II. That's the kind of obscure fact that sticks in my mind, and I finally had a chance to make use of it.

Heh. I wonder if people who google Audrey Hepburn will now be directed to this discussion.

Just in case... Hi Audrey Hepburn fans! Feel free to buy my book!

Okay. Enough tulip bulb talk. Let me tell you some of the more recent wonderful news about Life As We Knew It. First of all, as of 45 minutes ago, my Amazon ranking was skinnier than an elephant. My new personal best- 4375!!!

Forgive me all those exclamation points, but I'm very excited.

And forgive me this interruption, but I just saw I can check off a little box and Amazon will e-mail me when there are new posts. Which, I grant you, is almost never, but it's not like I get a lot of e-mails anyway.

I just checked off the box.

Speaking of Amazon, it turns out (or so my editor and my editor's assistant have both told me) that Amazon named Life As We Knew It one of the top ten young adult novels of 2006. I think this is extremely fabulous news, and I kind of wish Amazon would put it on the Life As We Knew It page, because even though I never thought my number would be as low as 4375, if some Audrey Hepburn fan should happen to stroll by, finding out that Life As We Knew It was one of Amazon's Top 10 YA novels for 2006 might convince them to buy a copy, and Amazon would actually make money off of the purchase (eventually I might also, but I don't think I've earned out my advance yet, so it could take a while, unless there are tens of thousands of Audrey Hepburn fans out there, all looking for a nice new YA novel to own).

And just in case those Audrey Hepburn fans need any more convincing, Life As We Knew It got a Recommended review from The Bulletin of the Center for Children's Books. They called it "riveting and deeply frightening."

I think that's the last of the magazines that'll be reviewing the book, and all the reviews were completely favorable. Not a "but" amongst them.

So this Thanksgiving I'll have a lot to be thankful for. Just in case I don't post here before then, I hope all my friends and family and the occasional stranger, and, of course, all Audrey Hepburn fans, have a wonderful holiday also.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2006 5:33:50 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 30, 2006 5:34:37 AM PST
M. Hanners says:
Tulip bulbs are considered mildly toxic, but they are often dusted with anti-fungals when sold in a nursery or catalogue. Whether tulip bulbs that have been in the ground for a long time are toxic I could not find out, but apparently if ingested, they won't kill you. They might upset your stomach. I think the story of Audrey Hepburn and the tulip bulbs is a true one and I am sure that she was not the only one in Holland eating them. And they didn't eat raw tulip bulbs, they ground them up into flour and the cooking process probably reduces any toxicity further.

If you google Audrey Hepburn tulip bulbs and Life As We Knew It, this discussion comes up as the first link.

And a belated Happy Thanksgiving to you, Susan Beth Pfeffer!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 4, 2006 1:40:44 AM PST
Lee DeWald says:
I just wanted to say that I finished your book just now (3:38 AM), after having read it page by page over the course of four days. I knew, before I even read it, that I was going to enjoy this book, and I did. I enjoyed every single sentence, every single word, every single dotted i and crossed t. If this book doesn't win some kind of award, that will be a crime. I always love the Junior Library Guild selections, and this book was no different. I don't know how I'm going to get to sleep now; I'm too jazzed about what I've just finished reading!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 5, 2006 12:47:39 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 5, 2006 1:02:33 PM PST
Dear Susan,
Loved your book, found it plausible - hard to imagine every eventuality. Only thing I had trouble believing is that they had running water without electricity. My well requires a pump(run by electricity) to bring water to the surface and pipe it through the walls and into the house and out of the faucet - and that's the way it works for everybody else not having town water. If they had had an old-fashioned hand pump, now, or if they had had a windmill...that part about having running water might have been plausible.
That fact aside, I did love your book and am recommending it to all and sundry YAs and even adults. Very gripping and thought-provoking, and I'm afraid I had to laugh aloud at certain little political slurs mentioned by one of the reviewers - loved those.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 6, 2006 1:51:26 PM PST
M. Hanners says:
Around here in the hills and mountains, it is not too uncommon for rural houses to have gravity fed wells that don't require electricity, but I asked the same question myself at first. And how did they pump gas without electricity? That would have been a problem too. Since the book was really about Miranda and her family, I figured that the technical details were not really that significant. Even with an electrical pump well, in a time of extended outage you could lower a bucket on a very long rope or chain and pull water up but you would be spending a lot of time on the activity! And you risk contamination. But I've run into quite a few gravity fed wells in both the Adirondacks and the Catskills so it is not as crazy as it sounds. It is really a good book, isn't it?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 9, 2006 9:17:18 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 9, 2006 9:24:06 AM PST
Hi M. Hanners and Peter and Ishtar and Suzanne and Lee DeWald and A. Henry "mr e ryter" and the one other person who has this discussion thread on their e-mail notification list and any stray Audrey Hepburn fans who might have wandered over by mistake!

Thank you one and all for the kind words you've written about Life As We Knew It. Life as I currently know it is very fine. I love all the praise the book has gotten and turn a haughty nose to anyone insufficiently effusive. Of course if one chooses to eavesdrop on internet discussions of one's book (my cousin says it's lurking, but I think it's eavesdropping if the only thing you read is discussions of one's book), one deserves what one gets, even if what one gets is insufficiently effusive. Le sigh.

The older I get, the more like Miss Piggy I become.

Anyway, Life As We Knew It continues to delight me with its success. For about ten minutes, it had its personal best number on Amazon- 3483, which is roughly one half of an elephant who eats too many bon bons and doesn't exercise enough. Of course if Amazon would actually put on this page the fact that it selected Life As We Knew It as one of the ten best young adult novels of 2006, sales might increase and the number might go down.

But in the meantime word of mouth will have to do, and fortunately I have a very big mouth.

Speaking of numbers, the oddsmakers are giving Life As We Knew It a one in eighty seven chance of winning a Cybil in the Science Fiction and Fantasy category. That's because eighty six other books were also nominated. The Cybils are the Children's and YA Bloggers' Literary Awards, and whether I win or not (and with 87-1 odds against me, I suspect "not" is where the smart money is), I'm delighted to have been nominated.

Speaking of nominations, Life As We Knew It has been nominated for two mock Prinz awards, one in the Ramapo Catskill Library System and in the Bergen County, New Jersey library system. My thanks to the librarians who voted for it.

And finally my editor's assistant e-mailed me to say that Life As We Knew It is a Booklist Editor's Choice Pick for 2006. I have no other verification of this, but why would my editor's assitant lie?

Life as We Knew It is indeed doing well.

Well! Ha! A clever play on words. I must address the well issue.

Let me start by admitting I know nothing about wells. Now all you well owners already suspected that, and a handful of you have probably been mocking my lack of well expertise behind my innocent back.

But it's not for the reason you think. I bet all you well owners in your behind my back mockery, have been saying, "That Susan Beth Pfeffer, she's so worldly and sophisticated, what does she know about wells and the suchlike."

And that's where you're wrong. It isn't because of my worldly sophistication that I'm well ignorant. On the contrary, or as Miss Piggy and Audrey Hepburn might say, on the contraire, it's because of how rural I am.

My family owned a summer house in the mountains for most of my life. The house was four miles out of town and we used spring water, as did our neighbors (only their springs didn't run dry each summer the way ours tended to). The water was stored in a not particularly sanitary resevoir, and no electricity was needed to get it to the house. Gravity did the work. So I just naturally assumed wells worked the same way- place them uphill from the house and let the water course on downwards. I never dreamed they'd improved the technology so that electricity was needed.

It's misconceptions like that that will no doubt cost me a Cybil not to mention an unmocked Prinz.

Oh well. I didn't really want to have to write an acceptance speech anyway.

ETA: And a mere 44 seconds after posting this, I find my number is now 2498! Put two of those together, and you got a seriously underweight elephant.

Thank you everybody who's buying Life As We Knew It!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 10, 2006 7:23:44 PM PST
Lee DeWald says:
I just want to say that I work at two different libraries, and I highly recommended this title for both of them. One of them got on the ball right away and ordered your book immediately for our YA section. I'm still working on my other library.

I read YA and children's literature all the time, and I have been on a roll lately with great books that have 100% entertained me, made me forget about the real world for 30 minutes a day, and left me totally wanting more. "Everlost" was one. And then I read "Life As We Knew It" after that.

I don't care if things aren't entirely plausible, or how scientifically accurate things are or aren't in the narrative. What matters TO ME is if it entertains me to no end, and "Life As We Knew It" did that. I hope it wins every award it is nominated for.

If the other library I work for doesn't stock this for our patrons, I will buy it for them, I feel so strongly about it.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 30, 2006 10:22:34 AM PST
WAAAAA!

Let me rephrase that.

Happy New Year!

It's just I'm going to miss 2006, thanks in no small part to all the people who have so kindly praised Life As We Knew It.

So let me start by sending special Happy New Year! greetings to m.hanners and monty rainey and Sarah and C. Tyndall and Midwest Book Review (I bet that's a pseudonym) and A. Henry "m e ryter" and Jennifer Wardrip and kids (both of them) and Peter and Ishtar and Lee DeWald and Suzanne. Special Happy New Year's Greetings also to anonymous (you know who you are, even if I don't) and to the 75% of people Amazon claims buy Life As We Knew It after visiting its page.

Farewell to 2006. I must admit the year ended quite nicely with an unexpected check (thanks to my book Courage, Dana) and a fan letter (thanks to my book The Pizza Puzzle), which allowed me to use my new stationary.

2007 should start out with a lot of excitement. I'm scheduled for jury duty, after all. And January is the month (I think) when all those awards will be announced, and I'll get to go from heartbreak to heartbreak. I'm already practicing my stiff upper lip and that wistful wiping away of a single tear when I think no one will catch me doing so. Tissues are on sale this week, so I guess I'll do some stockpiling.

And I think my friends are ready for me to move on. I'm sensing a lot of stiffled yawns and rolling of eyes when I casually bring up Amazon and Google and Yahoo and Buzz and Awards Which I Won't Win Or Probably Even Come Close To Winning. My mother still listens, but she's the queen of tolerance, and besides she's my mother so she has to.

So Happy New Year! to all my friends who've put up with me in 2006 and to everyone who's read Life As We Knew It, whether they were sufficiently effusive or not, and to the 25% of people who read the Life As We Knew It Amazon page and don't buy the book, and to Audrey Hepburn fans and overweight elephants everywhere.

See you in 2007!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 30, 2006 9:33:59 PM PST
Emily Bauer says:
Hi Susan, and whoever else might be reading this! This is Emily Bauer; I was lucky enough to have to opportunity to narrate "Life As We Knew It." It means so, so much to me that you enjoyed and approve of my interpretation. I was so lucky to have this opportunity.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 1, 2007 9:59:38 AM PST
Peter says:
Oh good, I get to deliver the first posting of the new year! Congrats to Susan Pfeffer on her landmark 2006 and may 2007 be even bigger and better (think: January awards, more unexpected checks, more fan letters, and a stint on jury duty that may inspire a great new young adult novel.) Happy New Year to all!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 2, 2007 11:21:47 AM PST
M. Hanners says:
Hi Susan and Happy New Year! And Hello to the incredibly talented narrator of this terrific book, Emily Bauer. Great Job!

We will all await the awards this year and hope for elated reports from the author. Let's hope that 2007 brings us a sequel or a prequel or anything that takes us to the scary world of moonstruck.

And many congrats for the unexpected royalties on Courage, Dana!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 4, 2007 2:27:38 PM PST
Hi Samantha Cordaro McCoy and the nine other people who've taken the time to review Life As We Knew It. Hi to anyone who's strolled over here from FSU. Hi to Peter and M. Hanners.

And an especially big Hi! to Emily Bauer. Actually that should read Hi And Congratulations!
My obsessive googling has led me to discover that the audiobook of Life As We Knew It was one of nine winners in the Young Adult category of Publishers Weekly's 2006 Listen-Up Awards.

Emily did such a brilliant job giving voice to Miranda. I am so pleased that she's received this recognition.

I also noticed that Listening Library, the publisher of the Life As We Knew It audio book, won all nine of the YA Listen-Up awards. What a great accomplishment for them.

I shall now spend the rest of the evening smiling (unless I'm called in for jury duty tomorrow).

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 12, 2007 6:31:20 AM PST
Peter says:
The Bergen County Library system in New Jersey just announced their "Mock Printz Award" winners. The winner was THE BOOK THIEF by Marcus Zusak. The Honor Books were THE RULES OF SURVIVAL by Nancy Werlin...and..LIFE AS WE KNEW IT by Susan Beth Pfeffer!

Peter

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 12, 2007 8:58:36 AM PST
It is! It is!

Thank you Peter! I wouldn't have known otherwise, but armed with your information, I added "bergen" to "life as we knew it" "pfeffer" at Google, and there it was.

I forwarded the information to my agent and my editor and my friend Janet, who's been my buzz buddy throughout the past few months.

Alas, I saw no reference to certificates. Maybe I'll make one of my own.

Three cheers for Bergen County. I am absolutely thrilled.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 12, 2007 7:16:05 PM PST
Emily Bauer says:
WOW! That is a great honor! Whee! Yay Me! Yay You! Yay US!
I am sure you will have many, many more awards to come for this book. It was an amazing, incredible book (and, er audio book!) that my entire family enjoyed. I am really getting a kick out of this message board :)

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2007 2:10:23 PM PST
Lee DeWald says:
I am so thrilled this book is getting the recognition it deserves! I knew, when I first saw it on a bookshelf at Barnes and Noble, that this book would was going to be something special. I get "feelings" about certain books sometimes, and I have NEVER been wrong yet! Congratulations! By the way, the copy we ordered for our library came in on Saturday, and there has already been a hold placed on it! I knew it!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 21, 2007 8:38:40 AM PST
Hi to Lee DeWald and the very talented Emily Bauer and thanks and hi to N. Rosensweig "penmage" and Bookeater (which I trust is a pseudonym) and to everyone else who wanders by.

I've been remiss in thanking Amazon (hi Amazon!) for upgrading the Life As We Knew It page and giving it all those fun bells and whistles. Granted it was a bit embarrassing discovering just how limited my vocabulary level really is, but I love the Surprise Me! game, which I play quite regularly (and I'm always surprised).

I also have a piece of good news to announce and that is Life As We Knew It has an order in for a second printing. So all you obsessive first printing collector types had better get your orders in fast. Life As We Knew It had a perfectly respectable first printing size, and I'm thrilled that after three months, enough copies have sold (just about all of them actually) that a new printing is called for.

Thanks always to everyone who reads my book and especial thanks to those who take the time to write positive things about it, which I discover in my obsessive googling and commit to memory, just in case google disappears in my lifetime.

What can I tell you. Once you knock an asteroid into the moon and cause complete global distruction, you worry about those kinds of things!
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Life as We Knew It forum
Participants:  15
Total posts:  46
Initial post:  Sep 7, 2006
Latest post:  Jan 1, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 6 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Life as We Knew It
Life as We Knew It by Susan Beth Pfeffer (Hardcover - October 1, 2006)
4.0 out of 5 stars (681)