Life Energy: Using the Meridians to Unlock the Hidden Power of Your Emotions
Format: PaperbackChange
Price:$9.71 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

Format: Paperback
This book has been essential for me in developing a concept of the healing force in myself and in everybody -- Life Energy, as the title succinctly puts it -- and how this force can be activated. The specific details about our emotions -- and how they relate to the acupuncture system -- are fascinating. I particularly find helpful and thought-provoking Dr. Diamond's use of etymology (the origins of words) in pinpointing and evoking emotional states. The many photographs and humorous or touching anecdotes -- all these contribute to this highly readable, very therapeutic volume. I find Dr. Diamond's affirmations and the acupuncture points, which are clearly illustrated, wonderfully helpful in creating a daily routine for health and happiness. I have gone on to read many other books by Dr. Diamond, but this one remains basic and essential. I highly reccomend this book.
Format: PaperbackVerified Purchase
I have bought many different energy based books, and used different energy based techniques, with great results.

Quantum Touch taught me the importance of breath and how to move energy, and the principles of resonance and entrainment. EFT taught me how to release negative emotions within two minutes by tapping on specific energy points. Reiki taught me the importance of healing touch, and using Universal Life Force energy effortlessly. Matrix Energetics taught me the importance of intention, and active imagination. I could go on, Qigong, Reiki, Touch of healing, Yoga, Tibetans, Huna..

So, imagine how gratifying it is to finally read a book by a mainstream psychotherapist, who uses energy testing, and affirmation, and intention as part of the healing process. The energy practice in this book is Kinesiology discovered by Dr George Goodheart.

Here we have a book which offers a complete energy system overview, and shows the connection between energy, emotions, and intention, and how your 12 Meridian Channels are tied to specific emotions, and specific organs. Because most of what goes on inside us is unconscious, it can be difficult to even discover what the problem may be, but energy testing a specific intention, can show which organ is affected, and a simple affirmation or intention shift can cause you to test strong.

In this book your Thymus is the master switch for your energy system. If someone's heart tests weak, this is connected to the emotion of anger. Sadness, fear, guilt, anger, and depression are connected to different organs. A series of simple tests and affirmations can bring everything back into balance.

This is definitely one of the best books I have read on Energy Medicine, if not the best.

If you are new to energy medicine, I recommend you get the The Energy Medicine Kit by Donna Eden, which shows the testing being demonstrated, energy zipups and more advanced techniques, including a five minute daily routine, and Quantum-Touch: The Power to Heal (Third Edition) by Richard Gordon.

The EFT Manual (EFT: Emotional Freedom Techniques) is a simple tapping process useful for letting go of troubling emotions. Imagine easily letting go of issues such as anger, anxiety, fear, forgiveness, stress, procrastination, traumas. You can download a free manual at [...], and buy various books on Amazon.

I wonder if this review was helpful.
on December 7, 2002
Format: Paperback
This book is a revelation! How does qi (chi) flow through the body and what impedes its flow? Dr. Diamond's research reveals that our Life Energy is basically EMOTIONAL with each acupuncture meridian representing a different aspect of our emotional make-up. Positive emotions represent a healthy flow of Life Energy while negative emotions represent an impedence of this flow. How can we transform our lives? By transmuting our emotions. This concept is so simple and its ramifications so profound that it is a wonder that noone has elucidated it with such clarity up until now. I cannot recommend this book highly enough, both for the health-conscious reader and the holistic health care practitioner!
on June 13, 2003
Format: Paperback
In this ground-breaking book, Dr. Diamond presents his research findings concerning the links between specific acupuncture meridians and various precisely delineated emotional states. The connection between the acupuncture meridians and the organs of the body has been known about for centuries, and underlies much Chinese, Japanese and Korean traditional healing, and with Dr. Diamond's work connecting the meridians and the emotions we now have a link between the emotions and the physical body. Although it has been accepted that our emotional state can affect our physical well-being, and vice versa, Dr. Diamond's pioneering research is the first to examine this mechanism in detail.
This book should be required reading for anyone practicing, or hoping to practice the healing arts, either through conventional or through complementary medicine.
on January 30, 2002
Format: Paperback
John Diamond, M.D. has written more than a dozen books specifically written to help the reader. Life Energy was his second major book, written and published after Your Body Doesn't Lie (which was also published as Behavioral Kinesiology).
The work covered in Life Energy is unique, showing the relationships between the acupunture meridian system and the emotions. Many since have written about the same correlation, often taking bits of Dr. Diamond's work and distorting it and often just getting it wrong. Dr. Diamond's work in this book is drawn from extensive expertise in medicine, psychiatry, the arts, and just as importantly is the knowledge and understanding of etymology.
An example of this expertise can be demonstrated by comparing the difference between depression and unhappiness. Medically, the two emotional states have been confused and interchanged often leading to anti-depressant drugs being prescribed to people who aren't physically nor even mentally depressed but are unhappy. Dr. Diamond clearly shows how unhappiness relates to the Liver meridian and how depression relates to the Thyroid meridian. He also goes into great detail outlining the precise emotional states that are called 'depression' and 'unhappiness' and the precise relationships that they have with the energy systems within the body and their eventual manifest correlations with specific organs in the body.
This book really stands head and shoulders above other allegedly similar books that have sprouted up since Life Energy was first published in 1985. As a reviewer, I am certainly biased - the author is my father - but the book stands on its own. By the way, it has been published in about seven different languages.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 30, 2002
Format: Paperback
Dr. John Diamond studied the work of Dr. George Goodheart, chiropractic physician and founder of Applied Kinesiology. Diamond extended Goodheart's approach into the realm of behavior and emotions. This is a brilliant book that has surely helped many people resolve psychological issues. Diamond's work has also inspired a radical shift in the way we understand psychological health and treatment. Fred P. Gallo, Ph.D., author of Energy Psychology: Explorations at the Interface of Energy, Cognition, Behavior, and Health, Second Edition (Innovations in Psychology),Energy Tapping,and Energy Tapping for Trauma: Rapid Relief from Post-Traumatic Stress Using Energy Psychology
on March 6, 2011
Format: Paperback
Life Energy: Using the Meridians to Unlock the Hidden Power of Your Emotions shows you how to correct negative emotional states by thinking positive thoughts and saying positive affirmations. If you follow the program that is set out for you by John Diamond, M.D., he assures you that not only will you more easily be able to keep "in correct mental balance, both in terms of correcting your emotional states and balancing your cerebral hemispheres, thereby increasing your creativity." Diamond recommends that, by practicing a few simple techniques, which should take up no more than a few minutes of your day, you can make huge strides in achieving positive health and optimum life energy.

The main portion of Life Energy is split up into three different sections: "The Goal", "The Thymus" and "The Acupuncture Meridians". After emphasizing the importance of keeping life energy high and the energy systems of the body in balance, Diamond explores the role played by the thymus in our well-being, showing how our emotions can have either a positive or a negative effect on the functioning of the organ. Diamond reveals how, by making simple attitudinal changes, we are able to have a positive influence upon the thymus, making it more active, balanced and properly functioning. The advice that Diamond gives is rational and logical. In his typical pragmatic and down-to-earth manner, he shows how we can solve problems by making the right choices and how we can use visualization exercises to achieve the maximum benefit.

The acupuncture meridians are explored as they relate to the twelve psychological meridian types. The origins of both our weaknesses, such as disdain, contempt and haughtiness, and our strengths, such as generosity and forgiveness, are revealed in relation to the meridians, so that we can learn how to minimize the former and maximize the latter. This section of Life Energy is especially well illustrated, with many black-and-white photographs and a pivotal "Meridian Test Points" chart. In addition to teaching you how to determine your own predominant emotional attitudes, as well as those of anyone with whom you come into contact, Diamond also provides a daily program for life energy that will enable you to enjoy a more healthy, harmonious life.

Life Energy should appeal to anyone who wishes to enjoy life more and to gain greater control over their emotions so that they can maximize not only their own sense of well-being, but also their relations with those around them. The exercises and programs that are recommended are well within the grasp of the average individual, and are accessibly presented. [Reviewer of BookPleasures.com]
on September 23, 1998
Format: Hardcover
John Diamond's ground breaking work, "Life Energy," teaches us about the essential role of the acupuncture meridians to our emotional health, how to effectively diagnose the meridian disruptions at the basis of illness, and ways to transmute negative emotionality into life-sustanining energy. I highly recommend this book to my seminar participants to assist them in helping others as well as themselves. --Fred P. Gallo, Ph.D., author "Energy Psychology"
Format: PaperbackVerified Purchase
If you can't do the test "properly," then you won't know whether it's working. How do you know if you are skewing the results? You don't. If you were to get the chance to "test your thymus" with the author, then maybe you could find out. I'm left wondering if his idea is bogus or whether my test subject and I were just doing it wrong.

The author tells way too many stories. There is less substance and more "Look, I'm telling you it worked for these people. Just listen to these stories, and you'll see." Only, I don't take testimonials as anything more than hearsay. I'll believe it if it works for me.

If you're not a bible lover, then you might be offended by this book. The author quotes scriptures throughout the book. (See page 34 for an example.) Cherry picking at its finest. He seems to insult the Egyptians also, despite that the Christians borrowed from the Egyptians who borrowed from the Pagans.

I read the first 3 chapters then gave up on the book, as it seemed to require my 'faith' in his procedures since I couldn't tell if I was doing it right or wrong.

The one thing I did take away from the book is that emotions affect health. I didn't really need a book to tell me that, but it helped to hear it from someone else. He relates heart diseases with anger. Lots of anger translates to heart attacks. That seems to make sense. If anyone knows someone with heart trouble who doesn't have anger problems, that would be interesting to hear.
on May 28, 2009
Format: Paperback
Great assessment of the problematic situation of health and health care. Some very interesting connections between the mind. body and soul. Easy read.