5.0 out of 5 stars Saved my life, sanity and got pregnant too!
Published on July 21, 2012 by Sweet Pea

1.0 out of 5 stars Felt tacky and sticky to me
I while back my doctor (reluctantly) prescribed progesterone cream for me from a compounding pharmacy after my insistence on having my hormones tested.

Published on December 26, 2012 by Frieda

5.0 out of 5 stars Saved my life, sanity and got pregnant too!, July 21, 2012
This review is from: Life-Flo Progesta-Care with Natural Progesterone Body Cream, Women's Wellness, 4-Ounce Bottle (Health and Beauty)
In the late summer of 2011 my body and mind started to crash. I couldn't think straight, couldn't remember things, couldn't sleep. My ability to exercise was gone. I always felt like I was having an off day whenever I did anything. I thought to myself: "Is this what it is like to age?" I was only 37 years old and I felt like I was breaking. I had always led a relatively healthy life: eating out of our garden every summer, mountain biking, hiking, snowboarding (all the typical Colorado mountain sports). Yet, I definitely had some issues. I had three years of being overworked and stressed. I nursed my mother back to health after her brain surgery had gone awry. Managed a brother's life while he was in a coma for three months, all the while working more than full-time as a teacher and yearbook sponsor. During this stressful time, I did start to drink more and more alcohol and not eat as well. I put on 20 pounds, yet was a size 12 and carried my weight well. By the spring of 2011 my family was able to care for themselves, and I decided it was time to care for myself. I informed my principal that I would not be the yearbook sponsor the following year because it was like an additional full-time job on top of teaching, and I decided to lose those 20 pounds that crept up on me. The problem was I decided on a quick and easy fix to the weight gain. I decided to do the HCG diet. Great results, lost 21 lbs in 21 days. . . . but three months later is when I crashed. Please keep in mind that several of these symptoms had actuallly been present in me for many years, but like most people you don't pay attention to it because it's not that bad. The point is, it wasn't merely the crash diet that caused my problems; it just made them worse. For years, probably since my late twenties/early thirties I had trouble falling asleep and staying aspleep, had intense periods and cramps, super dry skin, slight hirutism, anxeity, night sweats, bladder infections, infertility, mid-cycle pain. But that fall the symptoms went from registering as a 2-3 to an 8-10. Plus, I had more symptoms to add to the list: inability to control my emotions, crying for no reason, not wanting to live, and my hair started falling out. Desparate, I started my journey back to health with my family practioner who ran all the bloodwork I requested to rule out hypothyrodism and any other glaring signs of doom. After all came back within "normal" range(and yes I did enough research to know that the ranges were too broad and many women still need treatment who are in the "normal" range for hypothyroidism), and him offerring me sleeping pills and anti-depressant pills, I knew he wasn't going to help me. I next saw a nutritionist who did a biofeedback on me, and she told me that she felt my problems were rooted in vitamin and mineral deficiencies. She placed me on an 80% raw diet; I temporarily eliminated wheat and dairy. I was slowly feeling better, but my hair was still falling out and my symptoms were still registering too high for me to not want to continue to search for answers. That's when I came across information on Dr. John Lee and his information on hormone balance. When I looked at the list of symptoms for women out of balance, I could check off 70% of the items on the list. Thus, I immediately read three of his books and found a doctor who knew how to work with bioidentical hormones in October of 2011. I started off using the recommended dosage of 20mg a day, 14 days out of the month, and immediately started to notice a difference; however, my symptoms still persisted, especially the hair falling out (it actually increased some, but I had read this was normal so I didn't give up), so I asked if I could up my dose to 40mg a day. I did that until December of 2011. Then, in January of 2012 I found out I was pregnant!. After ten years of being infertile, my husband and I had finally conceived and my progesterone levels were normal. I had them tested the past 3 years and once a month starting in October 2011, and all my ob/gyn kept telling me was that they were declining and I wasn't ovulating on my yearly bloodwork, but that's normal for a woman my age. Well, what he failed to tell me is that when you fail to ovulate, it creates a cascade of failing to ovulate in the future, which eventually leads to estrogen dominance and symptoms of perimenopause (all of which I had). The stress and the crash diet also fueled the fire and sent me into an endocrine hell, but if it wasn't for the progesterone cream, I don't think I would have snapped out of it like I did in December. In October 2011 my progesterone on day 21 of my cycle was 10 and by December 2011 my levels were 20, which is the optimal level in order to conceive. Over those three months I tracked my symptoms and their severity and with each week things got better until it was the last week in December, it felt like the window was finally wiped completely clean. When I returned to work I could run circles around my colleagues. My ability to think was back to where it used to be, I had energy, could sleep. I still wasn't sure if my hair had stopped falling out or was growing in, but everything else was so much better that I had hope. Now, it's July, my hair is definitely growing in and thickening, I'm 8 months pregnant, and as a 38 year old I have not sufferred from all the pregnancy woes that my other 5 girlfriends have and I feel I owe that to the healthy diet, vitamins and minerals, and progesterone cream. All I can say is the majority of all Western doctors rely on pharmacueticals that actually cause more problems than they are worth, really aren't knowledgeable at all in healing people, and are playing a role in making Americans some of the sickest people in the world. None of what conventional doctors tried to do for me was going to make me healthy, it was only going to mask the problem. It's a shame that it is ignored to find the root of the problem, which for me was low progesterone levels and a lack of vitamins and minerals. I never write reviews, but it was because of the reviews I had read on the cream and the books about bioidentical hormones, that I had the guts to step out of conventional medicine and seek the alternative. It was well worth it! I feel that I am healthier than I have been in over a decade!

5.0 out of 5 stars "Wow" What a difference!, May 15, 2009
H. Huhn (Lancaster, PA) - See all my reviews
I just turned 40 this year and have been struggling with severe pms and perimenopause symptoms for about 10yrs...bloating, sore breasts, cramping, drenching night sweats and bad mood swings to the point that is was affecting my relationships. Unwilling to take synthetic hormones, I heard about natural progesterone cream but never took it seriously until now!!! I have only been using Life-Flo Progesta-Care for four months and all my symptoms have greatly diminished. What a relief! The first month I only noticed a slight change but by the third month I began noticing big changes. So persevere. It take time to build up in your system. I particularly like this brand too because it goes on like a light body cream and sinks into my skin much faster. I tried other brands that leave a greasy and sticky residue which can be especially uncomfortable if applying before bedtime. I always go back to Life-Flo Progesta-Care. I will definitely keep using it!

1.0 out of 5 stars Felt tacky and sticky to me, December 26, 2012

The cream changed my life. My night sweats disappeared, I was no longer prone to fits of rage, my family actually enjoyed being with me again, I was able to think clearly again and the brain fog was GONE (essential because I am the sole supporter for my family), and my energy levels, while not quite what they used to be, moved back into the acceptable range allowing me to actual have something of a social life again.

The pharmacy and provided me with a cream I ended up having a severe allergic reaction to and weren't able to provide the cream in a formulation that was safe for me.

So I turned to Amazon to find an over the counter cream. I have tried a number of creams trying to find the right one for me. Reading the other reviews available, it is quite clear that the cream works for most people, while there are a few for whom it doesn't work. Since there are plenty of reviews about whether or not the cream works, and I know what the cream can do for me based on my experience with the progesterone from the compounding pharmacy, I decided to write a comparison of the creams I tried. I had a hard time decided which cream to use soI tried several to find the best one for me. Following is my assessment of the different creams I tried.

I liked the Life-Flo cream the least of all the ones I tried because of the way it felt and wasn't able to use it long.

There were several factors that were important to me and on which I'm basing my reviews. You may have other factors that are or are not important, so please take those into consideration when reading my evaulations. The factors for me were

1. Effectiveness/strength of the cream (MOST important, worth 3 stars).
2. Ease of use (this includes type of packaging and ease/difficulty of self-dosing) (worth 1 star).
3. Smell and feel (some of these products had a smell or feel to me that was just horrible), obviously the most subjective of my criteria (worth 1 star).
4. Most of the products were close in price, but one was about twice the cost of the others (the Emerita Pro-Gest). For me, if that were the only choice it wouldn't make a difference, but since there were otherwise comparable products out there, I subtracted a star from the expensive one for being close to twice the cost of the others.

That's a potential total of 5 stars per product.

To summarize what I've found, the best quality of progesterone cream in terms of how well the cream relieved my symptoms was found in either the Source Naturals products or the Emerita Pro-Gest.

The easiest to use were those with the dosed pumps, but I didn't like any of those creams because they either didn't work well or had an offensive smell or feel. The one I ended up using regularly is the Source Naturals in the tub. I bought a dedicated measuring spoon so I can get a consistent dose. It's not as easy as the dosed pump because I have to clean the spoon after each use, but the cream is otherwise excellent, so to me it was worth the extra work.

Here's my opinion of each cream, with my star rating. (For the Amazon ratings, I've rounded up since they don't allow half stars.)

SOURCE NATURALS PROGESTERONE CREAM. Available in a tube or tub. 4-4.5 stars
1. This is by far the most effective at relieving my symptoms. It works just as well as the pharmacy cream did. 3 stars.
2. The tube is a little difficult to squeeze as it got emptier, and I was never sure if I was getting the last bit out. The purchase of the measuring spoon to use with the tub made it an easier way for me to get a consistent dose. 0 stars for the tube, 1/2 a star for the tub.
3. Nothing offensive about either the scent or feel of this product. 1 star.
4. This is the most reasonably priced product I've tried so far.
Total: 4 stars for the tube version and 4.5 stars for the tub version.

NOW FOODS PROGESTERONE CREAM. Available in a dosed pump, unscented or lavender. 3.5-4 stars
1. This worked reasonably fine at relieving my symptoms. I would have a rare but mild night sweat on this but that's about it. 2.5 stars.
2. Comes in a dosed pump. They pump often (every few pumps) seemed to get an air bubble and not deliver a full dose, so even though I really like the concept, it didn't always work so I'm taking off half a star. 1/2 a star.
3. The feel is fine. There's an unscented version and a lavender one. The unscented had no objectionable odor, but I really didn't like the lavender scent (I normally really like lavender but didn't like this one. 1 star for the unscented, 1/2 for the lavender.
Total: 3.5 stars for the lavender and 4 stars for the unscented.

LIFE FLOW PROGESTA-CARE. Available in a dosed pump. No rating (please see below)
I can't full evaluate the effectiveness of this product because I couldn't use it for more than a couple of nights. The cream felt so horrible on my skin. It was sticky and tacky and wouldn't feel like it absorbed in. My clothes would stick to me after using it, kind of like the way they would stick to you on a hot humid day, which didn't happen with any of the other products I tried. I tried to tolerate it, but ended up having to wash it off in order to sleep. Not rated. Some reviewers didn't seem bothered by the feel fo this, but a few others did. I am not usually a princess about these things, but I really couldn't stand the feel of this. Please read the other reviews for alternative opinions and perhaps you might have better luck with this product than I did.

EMERITA PRO-GEST CREAM. Available in a tube or single-use packet. 2-3 stars (3-4 stars if you don't care about cost)
1. This worked fine. I would have a very rare and very mild night sweat on this, but otherwise no complaints about effectiveness. 2.5 stars.
2. The tube offers no easy way to get a consistent dose, and, like the other tubes, gets harder to squeeze as it gets used up and I was never able to tell if the tube was empty or close to empty. The single use packets eliminated the dosing problem. 0 stars for the tube, 1 star for the packets.
3. The cream felt fine, but it had a slightly unpleasant odor. 1/2 a star.
4. This product costs almost twice as much as the others so I subtracted a star for that. Please add a star if you don't care about cost.
Total: 2-3 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT FOR PMS/MENOPAUSAL WOMEN, November 3, 2009
I've been using this product for almost 10 years and it does what it says it should do. I use it 3 weeks out of the month and noticed within the 1st 2 weeks that it was working. I don't have any clue (except the calendar) of when my cycle will appear. I use to get cramps, moodiness, bloating, and on and on but since using the product I don't have those symptoms. I am protecting my body against unapposed estrogen, free radicals and a bunch of other stuff. I came to know about the product through Dr. Lee's book, What your Dr. May Not Tell You About Pre-Menopause....(that's a GREAT book) and I highly recommend it to all women to read and be informed about your body, your doctor and the carcinogens that are in our food that our body absorbs. I use it in the morning, one pump, and apply it to my inner arms, back of my knees, on my face and other thin skinned areas on the body so it absorbs quickly. It is not greasy so you can get out of the bathroom. Just three weeks out of the month keeps me happy and the household (ha ha). Purchase it through the subscription program and receive an additional 15% off and free shipping!!! (that's what I do)Good luck with your decision--it'll be a good one if you decided to use it!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars great product!, December 17, 2008
This progesterone cream is a great product. It is an absolute must if you are on any type of estrogen replacement. There is no scent, it goes on smooth, and one bottle lasts for 2 months. Can't live without it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Life-Flo / Life Needs!, March 19, 2012
Rhonda Bond (SCOTTSDALE, AZ, US) - See all my reviews
I started using this product at age 38. 20 yrs later I still use it! I am very religious about using it. Never stopped, never went to another product and used it as it says to use. I stopped my menstrual cycle at age 51. No problems! Smooth sailing! No heavy flow, no mood swings. I just stopped on DEC no less! The end of the year and started the New Year with NO menstrual cycles! YAY! : )
I use the pre measured pump bottle. I apply twice a day now that I am post. Morning and night. Stopping five days after 25 days of use as it says to do. My body knows when it's time to start up again. It's like it needs it! I will never go without this product! It keeps my bones strong, keeps body lubricated. Don't start using another product after using this unless you are under Doctor care and or you wing yourself. Terrible side effects. ( We're dealing with hormones here ) Overall, this is the best and natural thing out there and I love it! My Doctor loves it that I'm on it. I'm one of her first patients on this and has set a great example. ( husbands love that you're on it as well! : )

5.0 out of 5 stars Progesta-Care, November 29, 2008
This product is amazing and I would recommend it to any woman who struggles with irregular or uncomfortable menstrual cycles. It stabilizes the mood swings and balances your system.

5.0 out of 5 stars ProgestaCare, June 14, 2011
Linda B. Schroyer (Chicago, Illinois United States) - See all my reviews
I have used ProgestaCare throughout my entire menopause. It keeps the hot flashes at bay and helps me tremendously with my mood swings. I also note that my outlook on life is so much more positive and I can handle tough situations at work just like I used to!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Product:: no more hot flashes!, November 1, 2007
Linda W (Ventura, CA) - See all my reviews
If you are having problems with hot flashes, try this cream. It worked for me... Non-prescription, applied externally. No side effects. Recommended by "What Your Doctor Won't Tell you About Menopause" and ".....Perimenopause." Don't suffer through hot flashes! Call me "keeping cool in Ventura"

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow I finally found my remedy!, December 1, 2011
I ordered this product because I was experiencing phantom periods for 2 months and have had pmdd since I was 25 years old. I just turned 50 so I thought I must be going through menopause now but with pmdd symptoms and no release. I thought am I going to feel like this until my menopause is over? I read that it could be 10 years long. I researched the Internet for anything I could do before I go to my doctors, then I came across this product and compared reviews and thought I need to try this right away! I got it in the mail really fast and used it that night. I rubbed it on my inner thighs thinking it's closer to the issue. Anyway in 20 minutes I was lying in bed and I could feel my restless leg syndrome disappear then my backaches gone then my breasts which were in the most pain ever completely vanish! I was amazed how fast it worked on me, I felt totally relaxed. (This tells me I really needed progesterone. I realized I was prescribed provera in my 30's a couple times for not ovulating). Instead of the 2 months straight of suffering pmdd I could not believe it, I finally felt great and slept so good!!! I called my sister and told her she has got to get this! We figured out that we were estrogen dominant because of all the symptoms we suffered for years. It says use in several areas but I assumed one at a time. The next day I used it on my abdomen same results I felt great! I use it in the mornings because I like it better. Everyone is different. I will never be without this product! I wish I knew about this years ago it would've saved me and others a lot of pain!