5.0 out of 5 stars A Life Less ANXIOUS
A Life Less Anxious: Freedom from panic attacks and social anxiety without drugs or therapy (Volume 1)

Published on January 1, 2010 by Brenda Forest

2.0 out of 5 stars Has very limited benefit
Published on December 27, 2011 by Claire

5.0 out of 5 stars A Life Less ANXIOUS, January 1, 2010

I have been struggling with Anxiety/Panic attacks since I was a teenager. I have read so many books, Listen to tons of CD's and bought an expensive Video program. None have ever helped me. Steves books is so well written, I read half the book the first night. Even thou I knew I wasnt the only one who struggled with Anxiety,this book shed a new light for me. I have yet to read a book where the Author so totally described my symptoms and understood what I am going thru. I am so glad I bought this book. Yesterday during a snow storm we were out doing errands I tried Steves breathing technique.. IT worked! I had gotten myself so worked up about the snow and fearing the "WHAT IFS" we slid off the road~~ I wasnt sure how I would ever make it home. I then started breathing as Steve says in the books and for the first time in my life,, I was able to get my anixety attack under control. Thank you Steve for writing this book. I highly recommend this bookfor anyone who is struggling with anxiety.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent read for anxiety-beginners and long-term sufferers, January 18, 2010
I originally bought this book for my husband, a long-time anxiety sufferer relying on prescription medications to control his often-crippling anxiety. He will not attempt any treatments or read any books that seem fishy, new-agey, or "fruity." I decided to give this book a try as it didn't seem to fit into any of the categories to which my husband objects. I hit the jackpot with this book and I am so glad I bought it!

I have more trouble with depression than anxiety, and there were many tips that I have applied to my own life. The author is knowledgeable and funny, which keeps this book from being preachy, like so many self-help books are. I loved that he put detailed stories of what anxiety had done to him and his life. I was able to read those out loud to my husband as I read the book, and that did a lot to pique his interest in this book and actually give it a chance. This is the first self-help book I've ever found that my husband will actually read!

I know this review is getting long, but I have to add that the author addresses the side-effects of anti-depressants, which are regularly prescribed to help with anxiety. Namely, the sexual side-effects. It is difficult to discuss or admit that it happens, but it is such a huge drawback to those medications. This problem has had a tremendous impact on our life and it is one of the big reasons that we'd love for my husband to be off of the drugs.

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm not the only one, December 6, 2009
As a person who has suffered from anxiety, I found this book extremely relatable and very useful. Thanks to this book, I now know I'm not the only one. The book provides practical and realistic ways to alleviate stress in order to overcome debilitating anxiety. I have already begun to incorporate the techniques into my daily life. If you are suffering from anxiety and panic attacks, I would highly recommend this book. I only wish this book was written sooner.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Tactics for Even Non-Anxiety Sufferers, December 7, 2009
Let's face it, everyone has times when their own thoughts consume them, and they need to gain balance and peace. This book is a PERFECT read for folks who want to gain control of their minds and achieve a steady, positive outlook on life. The author does a nice job of telling his own story -- whether you can relate to the specifics or not, you can surely appreciate the honesty and candor with which he shares his experiences; by the end of the first part you feel like he is one of your good friends. Which sets the tone nicely for the remainder of the book, which, in my opinion, should be read by EVERYONE. We could all use a physical, mental, and spiritual cleanse - and the non-judgmental, humorous, effective way the author presents his tactics is well-appreciated. A real breath of fresh air compared to the pop-psychology-babble we see on shelves. Great book, great tactics for self-improvement and overall mental health.

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally!, December 10, 2009
A self help book that really helps. As a psychotherapist specializing in Anxiety Disorders, I know the journey can be a lonely one for many. Most people rarely have a chance to connect with someone going through the same emotional issue. The author gives you that chance to hear first hand, someone's successful story of recovery. The book can also be a resource for therapists as part of their recommended reading. The format facilitaties learning and the writing is easy to read, insightful and motivational. It's great to have the "how to" and the "hope", in one book. The well selected quotes are on target and well placed in the text. I highly recommend this book to those who suffer with life altering anxiety. Well done. I'll be looking for the sequel.

5.0 out of 5 stars Less anxiety in plain English, December 6, 2009
Ben Rhodes (Chicago, IL United States) - See all my reviews
This is a well written book that I plan to share with others I know that are impacted by anxiety.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good read about his situation, December 27, 2010
This was my first book on anxiety and it was comforting to hear how SOME of his issues related to what I am going through. This was a short and easy to read book and overall was a good read. I did not walk away with any amazing concepts and or ideas on how to help my anxiety, but again this seems like a good first book to start with. On to the next book :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating Approach in a World of RX, December 4, 2009
Refreshing to read that the "younger generation" is also embracing the "self-help" motto that many baby-boomers have. This book is encouragingly contrary to our society's need for immediate (pill-popping) gratification. The book is written in a conversational, smooth-flowing style. The real-life examples and analogies are easy to identify with. The references are varied, and thought-provoking.

5.0 out of 5 stars Refreshing and practical!, March 2, 2010
This is an intelligent, insightful book written in a conversational style that I found very appealing. The author offers practical, real-life solutions rather than psychological rhetoric for handling anxiety. A fresh, practical approach to living in a stressful world without medicating or escaping in an unhealthy way...a great read!

2.0 out of 5 stars Has very limited benefit, December 27, 2011
I picked up this book through Amazon primarily hoping that it would give added insight/value to my son who suffers from crippling social anxiety. I found it to be of extremely limited benefit; for the most part, it reads like someone's personal diary or blog rather than something genuinely worthy of publication. Any bits of useful advice, for me, came predominantly in the form of the pearls of wisdom scattered throughout the text, these being penned by noted authors. I am glad that the author found his way out of his panic attacks and social anxiety but this book is largely a memoir of his own personal experiences; he is not an expert, per say, in the field. Still, it is to his credit, based on the predominantly positive reviews, that there are readers out there who clearly benefitted from his suggestions; I simply do not count myself as one of them.

Rate and Discover Movies