5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Train Set!
Published on December 20, 2011 by Captain Ned Blakely

3.0 out of 5 stars decent, but watch the price
Published on June 5, 2012 by jimmunology

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice Train Set, December 20, 2011
This review is from: Life Like Railroad Empire HO Scale Train Set (Toy)
As a kid I spent a lot of time with HO trains and gradually built a huge layout in my parent's garage. Fast-forward 25 years later that HO layout is still there and my Dad and I still run it every few months (these days over a few beers) ...So in general, I would say that I have a fairly good perspective on various HO related train stuff. My son who is currently only 3 is really interested in trains and I wanted him to be able to begin to enjoy the model train experiences that I did as a child, but I felt that he was not quite ready for the complexity of the huge layout that I built as a kid. So...I figured I would give this set a shot for him to play (**supervised**) with. To start with, I have set it up as a simple circle/oval and as my son grows into it I will add the various accessories, piers, bridge, etc.

Now for the actual review...

As one of the other reviewers mentioned, this set is WAY better than what started with as a kid! The quick-connect track is perfect for running on carpet (or whatever other surface really) No little metal spade connectors to deal with, and both the physical and electrical connections are solid. In addition, I was really surprised at how well the cars and locomotive are detailed...definitely on par with the more expensive brands that were available 25 years ago when I was into this. The supplied transformer is a little chinsy, but it still works fine. The locomotive is very smooth in both forward and reverse. All the cars roll well, and provided you take the care to assemble the track correctly the train seems to work equally well in both forward and reverse with no derailment issues (provided you do run it a reasonable speed). The extra accessories are a really nice touch...not necessarily super-detailed nor perfectly realistic, but they still add a fun touch for the kids to look at and play/interact with.

The key thing to remember with this set (and HO scale trains in general) is that, this is not really a toy...it is a scale model. If your expectation is that you will give this to your five year old to play with...you will be very disappointed as the thing will probably be broken in a day. Trains of this size require some patience, dexterity, and fine motor skills to assemble and put on the track, and these are traits that most kids probably don't have until 7 years old or so. In addition, trains of this size tend to be somewhat fragile with their various small features and should be handled with reasonable care. However, if this is for an older individual, or you are purchasing this with the intent that you will interact with your kids while playing with this together, I think you be very happy.

I would rate this set five stars if the supplied transformer was just a little bit better.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Train Set!, December 20, 2011
This review is from: Life Like Railroad Empire HO Scale Train Set (Toy)
I don't normally write reviews, but since this train set seemed to be getting some bad ones, I thought I would chime in. I have had HO scale trains since I was a kid 35 years ago. This train set, for the price, is simply amazing. The tracks snap together easily (in the old days of HO we used to have to align 2 little metal tabs on each track connect point), and the electrical connection was immediately good. The trains and cars look as realistic as any HO set that I have ever seen. And to top it all off, it runs nice an smooth in forward and reverse. All for $59, is just simply amazing. I am in love with this train set, and I haven't even setup any of the included accessories yet, just have it doing a circle around our Christmas tree, right over our bumpy tree skirt, no problem, no derailments, and it is hypnotically soothing to watch.

It is fragile, but so are all HO trains.
Very happy with this set.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great starter train, December 17, 2011
This review is from: Life Like Railroad Empire HO Scale Train Set (Toy)
My kids wanted a train set and we decided to get one for the Christmas tree. First off, this thing is big! We did not put up the entire track because of the size, but the kids absolutely love it. It is easy to put together and is really a beginning set for starting in the hobby. The trains are solid quality, and though can be frustrating to put onto the track, I understand that this is common for hobby sets.

Unlike the other reviewer, this was the perfect set that we were looking for. The quality is good, and the price was great.

3.0 out of 5 stars decent, but watch the price, June 5, 2012
This review is from: Life Like Railroad Empire HO Scale Train Set (Toy)
I bought this when it was going for about half of what it is now. For that price, this set is a bargain. You get a lot of cars and accessories, although the tunnel is just crumpled up paper - really crappy. The locomotive and cars are decent. It was nice that my kids could hook up my 30 year old train cars with this set and make a really long train. The tracks however, are a different format. They lock together really tightly and stay put. However, the spacing between the rails is a little erratic and there are some places where the train derails a lot because the gap is too wide. I guess it's the type of quality you would expect from China. Anyhow, it's a good set for kids who may or may not ever become real hobbyists.

5.0 out of 5 stars For the price, you can't get better!, January 4, 2012
This review is from: Life Like Railroad Empire HO Scale Train Set (Toy)
My 3yr old son was asking for a remote control train for Christmas.

I have a few criteria when it comes to a train set.

1: it must be electric (meaning plug into the wall. NO batteries!)
2: the price has to be low enough that if he breaks part of it, I won't get mad

lol

Check, and check!

This 100% Chinese train set fits the bill perfectly. I got it for $64.79 (sixty four, seventy nine - just in case the dollar amount is taken out) at Amazon one day for a special.

Couldn't be happier. It runs, it's electric, the track is cheap, but does the job. Cars, everything is cheap - and easily replaceable!

I love it!

It's a great start for my son to play with trains and as he gets older we can upgrade pieces.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good train set, but..., December 23, 2011
This review is from: Life Like Railroad Empire HO Scale Train Set (Toy)
It is not a toy but a model for adults or older kids. It is a good train set for beginners. The box and the layout are big. It takes us about an hour to set up and the manual is somehow confusing. Make sure you check parts when you open the box. My package misses several 9" straight power-loc tracks so I have to make the track layout smaller than it is supposed to be. I am going to call the company to see if they can send me those missing parts or I will call Amazon to get an exchange.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great train for low price, December 18, 2011
This review is from: Life Like Railroad Empire HO Scale Train Set (Toy)
Great stuff for only 59 bucks on sale. My son love it.
It tooks me 30 mins to set it up instead of 5 mins as described.
The freight head is nice. But the freight cars and their wheels are made of plastic. They are light and easy to break. Could not compare with expensive models. But much much better than the cheap train set we bought from CVS or Rite Aid. The rails quality are kind of OK. Some of them are hard to connect. Try diffrent combinations you will set them up.
Little bit hard to put all freight cars on rail. But do it carefully one by one and then link them togheter easily. If you are older than 8 years you can do it.
The freight head run very smoothly on rail. However if you put all 6 frieghts together to run one or two freight cars will fall off the rail sometimes probably because of the light weight (so only 4 stars). Now I just use one head plus 3-4 cars to run without any problem.

Overall, my oppion is this set is between toy and model. but for the low price, dont hesitate to get it. Worth the money.
If the freight cars are more heavier I will give 5 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars My daughter loved it!, August 20, 2013
vharmy (California) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Life Like Railroad Empire HO Scale Train Set (Toy)
This kit is literally the same one that my dad bought me as a kid, just a different manufacturer now. My daughter loved it. Got this Christmas and was so glad to see she was excited to open it. I wasn't sure if she would really find it cool but she did. Awesome memories indeed. The trains and tracks are of the same quality as they were back in the 80s when I was a kid. Back then I remember hearing my dad say that it was crap compared to the stuff he had as a kid but I don't care. It's the same as back in the 80s so that's good enough for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value!, January 10, 2012
This review is from: Life Like Railroad Empire HO Scale Train Set (Toy)
I purchased this set just after Christmas for only $59; thus my review may be a little biased towards the great value I received.

Pros:
- The box arrived undamaged with all of the pieces working.
- Setup is a breeze. It only took a 15 minutes to create the loop provided in the instructions complete with the bridge.
- The integrated trackbed works great on the carpet in the living room. No need to create a dedicated train room in the cold basement. (This was the main reason I purchased the set).
- The locomotive is fast and powerful.
- The mountain is fun to put together, and it looks realistic.
- Compatible with all my old HO trains.

Cons:
- The track is a little difficult to take apart. You really have to pull hard, so picking up a few extra pieces may be well worth it just in case a piece breaks.
- The locomotive cab does not light up, and it runs a little loud.
- Some of the scenery items are a little flimsy, and the signs are impossible to arrange on carpet.

Overall, I believe this is a great train set. It brings back a lot fun memories when I was a child. For the value, it can not be beat by any other set.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great set for a great price, December 26, 2011
This review is from: Life Like Railroad Empire HO Scale Train Set (Toy)
Excellent train set. Everything is well made and realistic for the price. My sons have been playing with it for 2 days non-stop

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›