Most helpful critical review
2 of 2 people found the following review helpful
The Set is Nice, the Track is a Pain/Subpar
on December 27, 2014
We purchased this set for the kids for Christmas. We ranked it as "okay" because we got it 50% off Cyber Monday and for that price (~$100) we're satisfied. This set has some distinct pros and cons.
• The two trains and dual set-up were great! It lets more than one child run it at a time. We really like this.
• The number of cars provided and extra city accessories were also really nice.
• Overall, this is a good starter set to get you off the ground with a good deal more than just an engine and an oval.
• The "Power-Loc" track is somewhat problematic for several reasons:
- It is not compatible (without a separately purchased adapter) with more common HO scale track, such as the classic track or Bachman's E-Z track.
- It is harder to find (other than on Amazon) that other more common track.
- It is QUITE DIFFICULT to put together and even worse to disassemble, even for adults. Be cautioned!
Summary: The trains and accessories are great. The track is a pain. We ended up with 8 broken pieces in the first 48 hours before our children (13 & 11) learned how to carefully assemble and disassemble it. This Power-LOC system would be fine for a permanent setup, but for anything you want to set up and tear down, we would recommend the Bachmann E-Z track system. It is a FAR superior design -- we ended up buying a set of Bachmann track to supplement/replace the track from this set.