Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it blink-182 Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

VINE VOICEon December 31, 2009
I agree with Mr. Lute ~ this is a MODEL not a TOY (but you can still have loads of fun with it...we do!). The age recommendation (on the box) is 14+. I believe here on Amazon it's 9? Maybe 10. I'm not quite sure about that. However, as Mr. Lute states, you need to make sure your children are old enough, and fully aware, that you need to *play* with the train with care/caution. My husband and 9.5 year old son LOVE this train. We bought it for our son for Christmas. It's set up on my husband's piece of plywood, on a folding table, in our son's room. This set even let's us utilize the engine of my husband's train set when he was small! The track is a snap to put together and is very sturdy. The cars fit nicely, without all the struggle of "setting them in" just right in order for them to run. The knob is rather sensitive to speed until you get the hang of it ~ all of a couple of times using it! We are going to purchase more track to make curves and figure 8's. My son is thoroughly enjoying putting together the little model buildings that came with the train and has his eyes set on some bigger, more complicated models at a local hobby shop. This gets 5 stars in our book!
44 comments|42 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 11, 2009
Even before the train arrived I taught our boys (ages 4, 6, & 8) that it's a MODEL and not a toy! Toys get played with and thrown into toy boxes. Models get set up on table tops and run with care.

We received our shipment within a couple days however the packing was horrible. The train was placed in the bottom of the shipper with some paper packing thrown on top of it. This was fine however the train had no packing to cushion it on the bottom! Despite this everything was intact except the caboose which had a set of wheels that apparently popped off. They were easily popped back on.

Setting up the train was simple. The track went together very easily. We broke in the loco as recommended and then hooked up the cars. The transformer isn't very sensitive so we ran the train too fast at first which resulted in some derailing however we quickly got the hang of it and had the train running for several hours without a single derailment! The tricky part was finding the right speed to get the train up the bridge without it straining but not too fast that it would derail coming down the bridge and around the turn. Once the right speed is found the train RUNS like a champ!

The fun of a model train is RUNNING them. You have to use judgment and exercise certain cautions. You can't expect to open up the loco full bore and NOT have it derail!

Two of our boys are autistic and they thoroughly enjoy the train. We all do! This was our first train and we've been bitten by the bug! We're going to build a nice layout and are sure to have MANY hours of fun RUNNING our MODEL train! Maybe Lionel is the favorite and classic brand but this train is OUR favorite and bound to be something we'll always remember and cherish. Thanks for the great train and incredible value!
on January 14, 2009
Bought this for my grandson who is age 4 and his Mother was very happy with this train and my grandson loves the train and he plays with it every night.
on January 12, 2011
track is very cheeply made compared to all others I have. small tabs on the ends will break extremely easily and I highly reccomend you buy extra to start with. The train itself is fair for the price.
on February 6, 2013
This has been a great starter set for us. It is so important to let your children know that this is a “Model” not a toy. The cars will not take much abuse, but work great when left on the track. My 8 year old and I put this thing together on Christmas morning and have been running it like crazy since.
on January 19, 2014
SHE REALLY THOUGHT THE WORLD OF TRAIN SET COULD NOT WAIT TO SET IT UP BEST PART I FOUND IS THE WAY THE TRACK STAYS TOGETHER I PUT TWO STICK PINS IN WALL AND WE HANG UP TRACK WHEN SHE DONE PLAYING TILL NEXT TIME
on January 29, 2014
Product surpassed my expectations and the customer service was Number 1!! I would deal with Walthers again and recommend them to anyone wanting to purchase an electric train set.
I can't wait to display this train next Christmas season along with my 'O' Gauge.
In fact..I now have to make an elevated train display!!! I am looking forward to completing it!!

-=[Jerr]=-
on January 10, 2010
The train and train cars are great. I really like the new style HO track, so much easier than my older style. The bridge is nice as well. The size of the track is not bad either, adding on soon as parts come in. The plastic cars are okay. The buildings were a little difficult to piece, glue, paint, and put together.(picture of buildings little deceiving. The signs dont come painted either. Luck, I had some old rail signs to use. Over all not bad for the price. Im about to purchase another Walther train set having a different engine, plus I need the extra track to replace the old style HO. So much smoother.
on December 29, 2013
This is a wonderful train set, but it is very detailed and delicate and more for and older child or adult who has the room to leave it set up once it is put together. He needed a smaller train set that would be more easily managed by him without an adult's consstant help.
It would be great for a collector as it is a beautiful train set.......just be careful about the age. The mistake was ours, not in anything wrong with the set.
on January 24, 2013
Train set car handling not as I had expected, engine will not stay on track while pulling all 7 cars in set at the same time. Engine will pull up to 4 cars before having handling problems, add the 5 car and it will pull off track before it makes it all the way around. I'm pleased with the size of the set and extra items included for the cost. One of the railroad crossing arms doesn't come down like it should most of the time, but all in all it's a good set for a beginner.